Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering the recent re-vamp will you continue to use boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

I still log in to try to find my way around to read some of the forums I like, but far far less now, and becoming less frequent. Combination of the new site being very poor which has been fed back and detailed extensively by others already along with how its so very noticeable now how much quieter the forums have become as well, Investments & Markets forum in particular was a favourite of mine to read and its so inactive now.

No testing before go-live or feedback sought, appears as though no-one on Boards.ie side actually checked what they were getting from Vanilla.

Its disappointing as I really have enjoyed Boards.ie for many years, whether posting or just reading to pass the time, a lot of people enjoyed that and it is lost now.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I still use it but once every few days (and this gap is getting bigger). It used to be several times a day (and night). Some of the threads I follow have died a death, if there's no conversation it's not worth checking in.

I can't figure out the mobile experience (to view followed threads) and have to switch to desktop mode on my phone which is unwieldy and faffing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Even if I wanted to use it. I can't follow or find threads I've posted in. So my usage he has dropped right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Yes

I've noticed big improvements over the last few weeks & can see Boards trying its best to resolve the issues but I have to say I'm still struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I'm missing loads. I'm getting multiple replies from posts, but no idea where to begin, apart from taking down the time that I last looked, it's awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I know Odhran in the real world and he's a nice person and a good people manager, but he's non-technical and should not be leading a technical project.

This entire problem could have been solved with proper planning (requires experience and technical knowledge), better communication, and involving the community.

Here's how I would have done it, off the top of my head. Assumption is we have to use Vanilla due to financial reasons or whatever:

• A long time ago, start developing the new site for Vanilla. Make it a test site (completely separate database which will be thrown away when the merge happens) and ask boards.ie users to test it. There are people willing to do this.
    • Explain to the community you're broke, and can people help with CSS, development, etc. There are people willing to provide their skill for this. I would have even been willing to manage the entire thing for free (I manage complex technical projects and run two tech companies).
    • Keep developing the test site until all the bugs are ironed out.
    • Do a test migration to the test side. Test it. See the soccer forum has disappeared, see people's emails are being displayed, etc. Fix the issues on the test site. The original, normal boards.ie site is running as normal.
    • Do another test migration and see if it works and how long it took.
    • When happy with everything, communicate clearly it's time for the migration, start it on a Monday, and have it done by the end of the work week.
    • Switch to the test site.

What I've described above is absolutely basic and obvious and off the top of my head.

Sorry, to answer the question, I will use it as long as they can fix the "ignore user" bug, as this site is unusable if you have to see the replies from the crazy people, and there are many crazy people who post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Yes

I use a lot less these days, it's slow and cumbersome and just not an "enjoyable" few minutes... looking elsewhere for similar

Place is like a ghost town at the minute. The site is just too difficult to navigate and way to much effort to use at the minute.

Used to be simple you had:

followed threads

Find all my posts

In the search menu you could type the name of a forum and it would just appear and click.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No

All the threads I used to barely be able to keep up with even reading 30 threads a day are now dead. Ive gone from visiting multiple threads every day to checking in every 3 days and less and less as time goes on, they've completely murdered boards.ie and should be ashamed.

• Advertisement

How do you even find this Feedback forum?

I'm having to click the sad post about the staff member dying, and then go to feedback from there. There doesn't appear to be any other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

No

Less and less.....

keeps asking me to Login on my iPad. If I pop out to Facebook or other application ... it logs me out and when I return I have to login again. So have stopped looking at my followed threads. I just skim down the Home page and see if there is anything I want to read

find the site slow and not user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

Yes

Don't post an awful lot on boards but have been a user and daily reader of threads for years and now I barely bother at all,voted yes buts that's a just about yes,vote could have gone either way,site is just not what it was sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

No

I don't think I will to be honest. Was never a massive user of the site - I mostly lurked and would rarely post from time to time. After this site redesign, its not as easy to find specific threads and I've noticed the site is quieter than pre-redesign.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you go to the top of this page there is a Bookmark icon to the right of the title.

I only found out about it from another poster.

Still persevering, hoping against hope !!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I voted yes but it's becoming a no with each day that passes. I'm definitely drifting away from the site. It's just too damn awkward to get around. It has been a big part of my life since 2005. I used to moderate too. It's the beginning of an end of an era for me.

I don't have a bookmark icon...

If this were a real company a bunch of people would be fired for incompetence.

Its like the finanical lad in charge of IT who doesn't have a notion pf IT on 120K a year making himself look good by cutting every budget available.

Every company has them and its usually when something happens like this **** show that they get looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

No

No. The revamp has killed my interest in the site. Very difficult to use on a mobile. I used to use the site a lot each day but now might click once a day just to see if it has improved. It hasn't.

• Advertisement

If you go to the top of this page there is a little oblong white panel with an indent at the bottom. If you click on it, it will turn blue and then you will be following the thread.

Before the changes you just had to either post in a thread or click "follow thread".

How someone thought a little panel with no indication as to it's use was an improvement beats me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Yes

Yes, but at reduced frequency as the white background is burning my eyes and giving me a tan.

Show me the developer who doesnt include a dark mode and Ill show you someone who needs to eat some keyboard keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kheb

I will continue to use it but hopefully the powers that be realise mistakes have been made and make improvements instead of just giving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Yes

Maybe go and spend your money elsewhere?

Oh.

The amount of 'pissy' comments on here are laughable. Lads, this is a free service. It must have been hard enough to update a mega-hacked VB instance to Vanilla and fair play to the Boards team for a long-overdue update.

Instead of sounding like petulant 5-year olds and launching ad-hominem attacks on Board staff, maybe engage in a positive way?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I can kind of agree that there is a lot of entitled moaning about something that we get to use for free.

but from Boards' perspective, it's a business, and from that perspective, the migration, subsequent multiple site issues, and consequent drop in site traffic and trust in the site, have been an absolute disaster.

Imagine having such low standards and being so controlling you think what has happened to boards is something people should shut up and accept. And you're saying this in the Feedback forum in a topic about the new version of boards.

You're the one throwing abuse around, grow some self awareness, holy crap.

Why did they remove the ignore feature? This website is unusable if we have to put up with the unpleasant and unstable folks.

I don't have this. What browser are you using? Seems I'm getting a different version than you. Are you using an app or something?

I see your point but lot's of the internet is available "free" or at least without direct subscription.

We are at least still here trying to make sense of things.

A lot more are gone like snow off a ditch and this site is suffering because of that.

Tumbleweed down many of the forums I used to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Yes

True, but it's just the whingy entitled posts that sound like Eric Cartman demanding more CheezeyPuffs that make me want to hurl.

As I said, people need to engage positively and with respect with Boards.ie like regular human beings and not trollishly funnel their general disappointment with their life into what is, in the greater scheme of things, a very insubstantial issue.

• Advertisement

Yes

Trying to decide which is DublinWriter's most hysterical point.

That he wants to vomit, that people who have different opinion are 'pissy'5 year olds, or that they're obviously disappointed in life unlike him....:)

Advertisement