Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Even Darby was struggling to keep a straight face. I guess being handpicked as the guy Punk wants his first match back with would be hard not to smile about. That's assuming he won't be in a match before then.

And Punk being sure to point out on that media call that the first thing he did was mention Britt and he would've mentioned more but she was the one that came to mind. He did mention guys he would like to face including Pillman, Hobbs and Starks.

Now when do we get AJ Lee? 😀

Garcia is like the straight man of the trio and it works. Tony saying he's just working on an agreement basis at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Anyone else think Danielson might be a heel? If not on his immediate debut but quite soon after? Heel American Dragon in ROH was so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I **** LOVE THIS COMPANY....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Think one of them has to be, but there's no way they're going to do anything to stop 19,000 in Arthur Ashe Stadium Yessing the hell out of it after last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I think if they did a Punk vs Bryan match, it could be their very own Austin Vs Bret moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭ThePott

I think what's been said is totally on point.

AEW presented it perfectly. They let the significance of the moment sit with the viewer. Again going back to WWE, I was waiting for someone to cut him off or beat him down for some cheap set-up to a storyline. Commentary didn't shout over him. It didn't seem rushed to get to the next segment. They let the magnitude of his return feel special and just let him speak with a hot crowd behind him.

As has been pointed out the emotion of it all landed once you saw Punk's face. Something that always depressed me was the fact that the guy loved wrestling and it really looked like it got stamped out of him by the end of his tenure in WWE. Going back to his farewell in ROH he was an emotional mess, he cared about wrestling and when you hear him talk about it and his influences he clearly gave a damn about the sport and wanting to make it better and all the same by the end of his time with WWE it looked like that passion and love was gone. You could see as he walked to the ring and gave the promo how much it meant to him to be back and to have that passion for wrestling back.

Right now, it feels like AEW has so much momentum and I hope they capitalise on it and reach new heights based off this. Like I said, I don't think this moment would have been as monumental back in WWE and that's a credit to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That was amazing, one of the biggest pops ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I've always been a wwe guy, until the last year or so. Started watching a few aew bits here and there recently but after tuning in for that CM punk arrival I'm onboard, what an exciting time for this company and what a buzz in that arena! .

With Bryan incoming too along with this rumoured 3rd big name (bray wyatt, brock?) The only way is up for this company now and the potential match ups with punk, Bryan and the likes of omega, Darby, Black or rematches with the likes of Rhodes and jericho the excitement is real!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,606 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder AJ get get the buzz now for one more in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Punks last singles match was a win over Billy Gunn. Austin and Colten need to get revenge for the oul lad!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Last night kinda makes anything possible imo. Before most would have laughed about someone like Brock joining (still very unlikely imo)

Now.... Anything, absolutely anything feels possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I dunno about you guys but I'd love to see Heel Straight Edge Punk be Hangman Adam Pages 1st feud for the title .....it writes itself but then again so do so many other stories

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

In my opinion, Punk's debut is what is going to turn the tide for AEW. They've already been growing and gaining momentum and this will bring them to the next step - more people tuning in. It's like one big road map. Punk is a big milestone on that.

It's crazy tho.... they say history repeats itself. Sure on September 4th it will be the 26th anniversary of the very first episode of WCW Nitro. Bischoff has said many times that he took what WWF was doing and went in a different direction. WWF was targeting kids, WCW would target men. WWF had cheesy gimmicks while WCW would move away from that. It also isn't a secret that the worst year in WWF/WWE history is 1995. Business was in the gutter. People didn't like the product anymore and were switching off. For as much mistakes WCW did make they did make a lot of shrewd choices too, as they bet WWF by offering a better product.

Here we are in 2021 and the WWE product is terrible. Sure business is great but people are tuning out. You have another company (also being run by a billionaire) that is doing exactly what WWE aren't. Like WCW back in the day, they have a better style. They are showcasing different talent - just like eddie, benoit, mysterio, jericho etc back in the day - tv shows are better than WWE ... history is repeating itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Now that you mention it, Serena Deeb and Luke Gallows work with AEW as well. Though I don't see them acknowledging that group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

The fans won't accept a heel Punk this soon, if ever. They'll reject his heel turn just as they did Stone Cold's in 2001. He's the biggest babyface in wrestling today, he'll shift merchandise for the company and they should milk him for as long as possible.

Prowrestlingtees.com is still down.

AEW Shop is still down lol

This is what 1 new shirt does lol

They're printing them as fast as they can, but the demand is through the roof.

Global.shopaew.com is also down, and has a WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK when you try to access the website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Lesnar joining AEW actually would never be a surprise imo as Lesnar will always go to the highest bidder. If AEW pay more, he'd join. Don't think he's suited to them though so hope he doesn't. Bryan and Cole please

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I still wear the MITB white one (though its showing its age now), so I'm refreshing the site constantly to get myself that new one. Absolutely adore the design.

I'd say it'll be another day before the sites are back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

His Nexus shirt is still the only wrestling shirt I've ever owned.

I said yesterday if Punk was to come in with a faction I would like to see it with Garcia and 2.0.

However now that Punk is clearly a face, I was thinking Adam Cole might be perfect to come in with Garcia and 2.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The hits on the AEW YT channel for Punk blitzes all other videos they've uploaded. 1.9m views against about 350k was the next most viewed I could see.

Not hard to see why people think this might be a turning point for AEW.

Oli from wrestle talk sums up the reaction i had watching CM Punk

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

That was everything it needed to be. Just give him a mic and time. Its was just enough to satisfy fans and leave them wanting more.

It was simple, not over produced and given time to breath. Perfect.

Now for dragons to start appearing on shows over the next few weeks leading up to Arthur Ashe.

• Advertisement

Advertisement