Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gladioli advice

Options
  • 21-08-2021 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

My garden full of various shrubs, primarily evergreen but have some flowering plants, Hydrangea, Chinese Peony and varieties of sunflowers.

Tried something completely new this year, Gladioli (I think), they came up beautifully.

I've read bulbs can be dug out and stored over winter and not to be tempted to cut back foliage after flowering, allow natural breakdown etc.

Would it however be wise to cut away the flowering stem now when flowers die. I've some still blooming, some with the flowering stem withering.

Thoughts appreciated

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Don't cut them back until the stems have withered fully, as the corm needs to build up energy reserves. As for lifting them: It depends on the variety but most need lifting. I gave up on them for this reason. I left the last lot in the ground and one or two pop up mist tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Thanks Jim, I'll hold off then, I'm thinking I might leave in the ground, I normally lay a fresh layer of bark mulch in my beds after a loosening of soil, weeding etc. I'm thinking the mulch will protect against frost.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement