Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Legitimate literally means allowed by the law/rules in the context we're discussing.....something illegal can't be legitimate. You thought it was illegal, ergo you didn't think it was legitimate. I'd love to know how you can logically think something is simultaneously legitimate and illegal?

If not, I'm glad you now accept that the NI Protocol was in fact legitimate and your previous concerns regarding its legality have been resolved.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The actual referendum wasn't legitimate in the sense that it was simply an advisory referendum. The outcome didn't mean anything but was taken by the government to be gospel as it suited their agenda - the UK government has used it to cause serious financial and reputational damage to their country despite about half of the population being against it.

In addition, the vast swathes of misinformation circulated by those pushing for the referendum outcome that happened add to the illegitimacy of the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Disingenuous. All parties agreed prior to the referendum that its results should be implemented. So yes it was advisory but all sides ageeed to accept the advice.

It would be remiss of me not to accept when I was wrong.

so seems wrong I was.

It seems according to the stats you produced that the ira killed slightly more security forces than civilians. Could you provide a bit more on what is being counted as British security forces eg part-time and ex udr, police officers, prison officers etc. I’d be keen to see a breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

I see you've found another rabbit hole you want to go down. So predictable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,742 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's kind of like, 'please give me some falsehood so I can cling onto it and indulge my victimhood'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Well then I will withdraw my admission of being wrong.

a very strange reply from you. Usually the one posting the link has already clarified its accuracy.

I smell a rat!

From your same source This is a strange stat for a non-sectarian organisation. Even stranger given that they were based in very predominantly catholic areas 🤔

IRA killings

790 Protestants v 338 catholics.

I have no idea of the accuracy of these figures but you seem happy with them.

seems this demonstrates your hero’s were deeply sectarian after all

Could you please show me where all parties agreed to that?

• Advertisement

It was very clear throughout that all sides would abide by the result. Here is confirmation that all labour MPs felt the result should be abided by. I am surprised you are questioning this.

http://camdennewjournal.com/article/keir-we-must-abide-by-results-of-brexit-referendum

Person A: Water is bad for you.

Person B: Water is good for you. Here are the statistics.

Person A: I admit I wrong. But provide more information.

Person B: No, do your own research.

Person A: Well then I will withdraw my admission of being wrong.

What is the point.

Ok, that's one party. Any evidence of all other political parties agreeing to honour the result?

Exactly. Pointless to post stats and then have no idea what the stats are made up of when asked.

He didn't say he 'had no idea', he told YOU, who had already formed an opinion without clearly dong any research..to 'do your own research'.

Because doing that research would be educational. For instance you would find out the likelihood a member of the security forces being a protestant was extremely high.

When being done up like a kipper, you seem to have forgotten to reply to this, Downcow.

You guys are so wrong on most stuff that you hang on every word of mine to try and find tiny wins. Misrepresenting what I say is not winning. This feels a bit like the Nolan show. He does exactly this Someone says something and he gives it a subtle twist or takes their words out of context to create mismeaning.

anyhow back to your games. and let me try to speak slowly for you

1) it was ‘legitimate’ for our government to decide to hold a referendum on brexit but decide they would not hold one on the NIP. I am not a big supporter of referenda full stop. I think that is what we elect politicians for but when a referendum is held it would be folly for MPs to say ‘we don’t like the answer so we will ignore it’. The thing that I would be warmest to a referendum on is a UI, because I really don’t see another way

2) I am not a legal expert, but the ‘legality’ of NIP will be further challenged. IMHO it is in contradiction to gfa - does that make it illegal - I don’t know. But the legality doesn’t really matter, that is not what will change it

3) ‘done up like a kipper’. I had clearly and magnanimously accepted I was wrong about IRA killings, as I had accepted that the poster was poster stats he understood. I asked for a little more background on their makeup and he has run a mile. On that basis i am legitimately suspending that admission until someone can produce or I can find a breakdown

4) the funniest bit of all is that the poster posted the link to challenge my statement that the IRA were highly sectarian and ,LOL, his link demonstrates that they were a sectarian killing machine. I had known the extent they targeted Protestant towns and businesses, but I had not been fully aware of the level of their murdering of Protestants, given they were based in very catholic areas so ‘mistakes’ would inevitably kill catholics.

but hey, if you call that done up like a kipper then I hope to get done up like a kipper today again 😂

Wait a minute.

You withdrew a belief you had (obviously this belief was not based on any research you had done) when somebody posted a graph that showed the victimhood myth you believed was wrong.

Now, because that poster will not do your research for you (it can be researched BTW) you have reverted to believing the unresearched victimhood myth you had previously believed?

And you want to be taken seriously and to have credibility? 😁

You still haven't squared the circle of how something can be legitimate (defined as allowed by law) and simultaneously illegal, Downcow.

The NI Protocol can not simultaneously be legitimate and illegal. At several points in this thread, you have suggested that the NI Protocol *specifically* may be illegal (ignoring your grasp of your own government and parliamentary sovereignty), yet recently you are claiming that the NI Protocol *specifically* is legitimate....the two are mutually exclusive, yet you refuse to acknowledge this is a change of stance.

Your side story into ranting about the *initial* Brexit referendum and a conversation you were having with another poster don't change that, but to address the latter, you asserted that a poster was wrong when he stated the PIRA killed mostly security forces. You were unequivocally shown to be wrong, going so far as to acknowledge that you were wrong...then you attempted to change the parameters and declare victory from beyond the grave when rightfully called out on your BS.....aye, fairly well done up, but you go on patting yourself on the back with your Trumpian declarations of victory.

Your "legitimate suspension of acceptance of being wrong" because someone on the internet won't do arbitrary extra research for you is remarkable.

I'd love to understand what state of limbo your mind is in on this. Have you reverted and now believe your initial statement to be true again, or do you still accept it to be untrue? Is the admission of fault merely a formality you don't wish to convey to the other person?

I have no idea where you stand on this.

• Advertisement

I can safely say I haven't seen a poster get themselves into a 'hank' quite like downcow has on several issues.

Firstly, thank you for correcting yourself. I had noticed but couldn’t be bothered.

so you have now rectified your recent posts claiming I said it was illegal.

now this is taking a lot of energy but do you also want to soften your position that ‘legitimate’ is defined as something that is allowed by law. You know most words in the English language have a number of definitions and also even more nuanced in use.

i find when people get over pedantic it usually means they feel they have lost the argument.

It’s very simple.

it is clearly a fairly close call as to whether the IRA killed more civilians or British security forces. So yes I could be swayed either way by solid facts - which no one seems to have on here atm.

I asked a simple question as to what was included in the posters stats. He seems to not know. eg is our local police service, prison officers, retired and present, being regarded as British security forces. If they are then it is strange from a poster that tells us we are all Irish and def not British.

but as I say, I smell a rat. A simple clarification of who the stat includes would be good.

there is no similar confusion in his stats about whether the IRA are sectarian. The numbers are so overwhelming that no tweaking will put their sectarianism in doubt.

does that help you?

What the hell are you on about?

You have claimed the NI Protocol may be illegal, you have claimed the NI Protocol is legitimate. The two are not compatible.

If you're attempting to worm out of acknowledging that by playing silly buggers between IS illegal and MAY BE illegal, get away on up the yard with that nonsense. You can not think the NI Protocol *is* legitimate and simultaneously think it *may be* illegal. Your suspicions around the legality should preclude certainty on the legitimacy.

Given the context of the discussion, allowed by law is the most appropriate definition of legitimate to use.....unless you're suggesting that the NI Protocol's parents were married at the time of its birth? Not that I'd be terribly surprised if you went with that claim to avoid acknowledging your mistake.

If you smell a rat, it's up to you to do the research. Why would the person you're arguing with do it for you?

Because victimhood is why he came on here to begin with and I said it about his posting from very early on. He was one of those Unionists, I said, who trade on 'victimhood' a lá Jamie Bryson, (engaging in it daily on Twitter at the moment) and Jim Allister.

Nonsensical sophistry masquerading behind incredulity; it's Downcow's MO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Just to try and clarify your thinking on sectarianism - was the killing of Johnathan Ball and Tim Parry (Warrington Bombing) a sectarian act by the PIRA?

What is your definition/understanding of what sectarianism actually is?

That’s nonsense. It’s up to the person providing the data to tell us how the data is made up. Otherwise I could tell you that 70% of catholics and only 20% of Protestants are sectarian and say if you don’t believe go and research it. We have reached crazy point here now

• Advertisement

No I wouldn’t regard that as sectarian.

sectarianism in the NI context is much more complex that the dictionary definition.

I am reluctant to try and define it as there will be a number here who have refused tone and again to define it but will be straight on to twist my words and condemn my definition.

my very crude clumsy first thoughts are - when someone discriminates against a person or group in NI based on religio/politio/national identity. That could be in murder, deciding where to plant bombs, refusing employment, using symbols that cause chill factor, naming of community spaces, etc, etc.

Advertisement