Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

With 85% of adults now fully vaccinated and cases continuing to rise some interesting figures from HSE.. Well over half of all hospital admissions now from the vaccinated with 45% of those hospitalised fully vaccinated.35% in ICU with covid are fully vaccinated. . So vaccines don't protect against serious illness as widely promised.

Of course the narrative switches to it would be so much worst without the vaccines. Maybe even as bad as last summer when there were no vaccines.

HSE has now announced that the MVCs will remain open till at least 2022 as plans for the third jab campaign are underway.

Post edited by robinbird on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The fact that vaccinated people make up the vast majority of the population but a minority of those hospitalisedshows vaccines do protect against serious illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭accensi0n

You honestly believe that the vaccines don't reduce the risk of serious illness?... Are you for real? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

We're you not saying a few days ago the mvc's were closing down for a few days this week because there was nobody left to jab. Which ones were closed? Maybe you don't know apart from J&J all other vaccines require 2 doses.

In a 100% vaccinated population, 100% of all admissions from covid will be vaccinated, going by your flawed logic, that would mean vaccines are not effective?

Very few left and without a third jab campaign they would have had to close soon.. Cork MVCs were only open for a few days this week.

No appointments today in most. Only first and second jab walk ins to get the last few.

Not saying vaccines aren't effective but the narrative that they prevent serious illness and hospitalisations in all cases is false as a lot of people in ICU and hospital are fully vaccinated.

Over 50% of ICU patients over 50 and they were nearly all fully vaccinated months ago.

Of course no way of proving one way or the other that it would be many more if there weren't vaccines or that rising case numbers would be higher without vacinnes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Still 370k awaiting a second dose. All the figures you quoted previously about jabs remaining were just made up.

Is the 50% of ICU patients made up also?

Looks to be 20-23%

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/almost-a-quarter-of-daily-cases-and-icu-admissions-are-fully-vaccinated-hse-1173509.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

What are you on about?

Of Course we can show the numbers in hospital would be higher without jabs. A very simple hospitalisations per confirmed cases provides the basic numbers and that ratio is massively reduced.

You know vaccines aren't 100% effective as do manufacturers and majority of the general public! That was always the case so hospitalisations amongst those vaccinated are expected especially amongst those with compromised immune systems.

You have been consistently and repeatedly wrong over the last few months and my figures have been correct. But instead of admitting it you double down. There are not 370k awaiting a second dose as you claim this time. You are once again wrong. Interval to second doses is now 21 days for Pfizer by the way.

Including those that got a first dose in a nursing home in January and died of covid a few weeks later among those waiting second doses is utterly ridiculous.

And you have an annoying habit of bringing in totally different figures to disprove a claim you disagree with. All I did was reprint the HSE figures. I didn't make up anything but you use a the figure for total icu admissions of all ages to disprove my point ( official HSE figures) that over 50% of those in ICU are over 50.

Post edited by robinbird on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Dr Mike Ryan of the WHO has described the booster shots like handing out extra life jackets and letting others to drown. That's a depressing thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Just the thought of unvaxxed potential super spreader units out there haunts my thoughts nearly every day now. I was mask shopping yesterday when an inconsiderate bearded young man with an incorrectly fitted mask broke social distancing guidelines and lingered in my personal radius of safety until I informed him how far two meters actually is. My heart was in my mouth all the way home, absolutely terrified. What if he was an antivaxer that didn't do his bit for the greater good? What if the virus was concentrated on his beard and it was amplifying the spread of the deadly virus with every breath he took?. I am going to hold firm for the next few days and isolate, have about three days worth of chicken nuggets and waffles. Why does anyone need a beard? They should be illegal. Carpets for covid. Disgusting imo. I shave everything because it is hygienic.

• Advertisement

Anyone who read extensive Sunday Times report last week into the role WHO played in the early stages of the pandemic and how compromised it was by Chinese influence would question the integrity of Dr Ryan and his WHO colleagues and anything they might say.

But yes buying 700,000 romanian life jackets when you already have loads of life jackets and guaranteed deliveries of at least 200,000 lifejackets a week has to be questioned. Particurly when there are plenty of other boats with no lifejackets.

Hard to know anymore what is satire or what is sincere but this could be either. Growing intolerance and social dissaproval of those that don't get with the program and do as they are told. Expect this to grow if covid continues.

Nobody ever claimed that vaccines prevent serious illness and hospitalisations in all cases. The fact that you had to set your imaginary bar at preventing all hospitalisations in your attempt to run down vaccines shows how effective the vaccines are.

The fact that two thirds of the population are fully vaccinated yet vaccinated people only make up one third of those in hospital with Covid is a pretty good indication that there would be more in hospital without vaccines. If two thirds of hospitalisations come from the unvaccinated one third of the population, it is reasonable to assume that hospitalisations would be much higher if the full population was unvaccinated. The experience from last winter supports this.

I like to call them parachutes. I have taken the jump with two parachutes. Waiting for a third parachute. As long as I can land safety away from the ICU I am happy. Top tip, you can sanatise a paper coffee cup and plastic lid by holding them under the boiling water tap at the coffee dock. It doesn't take thirty seconds. Quite apprehensive waiting for my booster parachute ATM. Staying inside as much as I can until the next lockdown, I can get back to normal then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You weren't funny months ago before you f**ked off, still not funny now either.

A comedian you are not

Ah Stephenhmcd. You're like someone that gets angry at a Waterford whispers article because they realize they are the ones being lampooned.

64% fully vaccinated

45% of those hospitalised fully vaccinated. That's excluding those hospitalised partly vaccinated.

So yes vaccines prevent serious illness but not nearly to the extent we thought they would.

I am doing whatever the experts have told us to do. That's what a good citizen does, they do whatever the experts recommend. Maybe you should listen to an expert like Dr Luke O'Neill. He's always on the money. I have listened to every word that wonderful man has said and I am still alive. He is just one of our cohort of esteemed experts. Broadcasts sometimes from his lab with his white coat on, very authentic, there are test tubes and stuff in the background so he must know what he is talking about. Great sense of humour too, always giggles and laughs heartily when he tells it as it is. Positive guy (not C19). Stops me thinking about pestilence and death for a while every time I see his latest video.

They've been at this shite for months. After a while it's not funny anymore

At least even if some of what you post does be rubbish at least your trying to make a point and have some sort of discussion, that muppet just isn't. Paddygreen is a well known WUM on these threads

I am a concerned citizen. Never claimed to be a comedian. Nothing is funny anymore. Absolutely nothing,not even Tommy Tiernan. Death ands its evil sidekick Covid19 could be around the next corner. It waits, hangs in the air like the stench of sulfur. Waiting for fresh meat to devour.

• Advertisement

So 113 of the 3,217,265 fully vaccinated people are in hospital with Covid right now. More unvaccinated people in hospital despite there being less than 2m of them and most of them being very young and therefore highly unlikely to become seriously ill. In truth, the vaccines are performing better than most would have thought a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes although the problem is more fundamental than that I think. The League of Nations had a lot of problems and the UN does now.

Large organisations claiming to be in existence for the good of the whole world, and supposedly lacking the self-interested motives of governments or corporations, are a dream.

They are peopled by all kinds of flawed characters on the make, the same as any large moneyed entity. Google "UN sex abuse scandals".

There is nothing inherently neutral about any 'world' organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Put another way. 250 in total hospitalised out of a population of 5,000,000.

Before this began in Jan 2020, 700 a week were being admitted to hospital with flu. And nobody suggested social distancing , masks and shutting down social activity as the solution.

You have also been watching Dr O'Neill? Don't mistake his laughter for a lack of grave concern. I believe he is trying to calm our shattered nerves by being upbeat. I can still see the fear in his eyes as they dart around, honestly don't think he is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yeah but you're wasting your time here pointing these deficiencies out. There are nasty folk here who'll label you a moaner and a whinger. But ask the most of them what vaccine they got and how quickly they were fully vaccinated. Hypocrites the bulk of them I'll wager.

The issue with the way AZ was used on 60-69 yr olds in the general pop as far as I'm concerned is not so much whether it is better or not. But the planned 3 month gao between doses whereby the HSE/ NIAC/ Government here left people partly vaccinated and exposed whilst as you say hundreds of thousands of people in their 50s and even 40s were fully vaccinated. It was a poor strategy. And HSE/ NIAC/ Government should be answerable to it. Not much can be done re HSE & NIAC but government TDs will meet citizens with long memories come the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It was a good and proven strategy until the Delta variant, then the strategy needed to change and it did. You're consistently ignoring the events that influence the strategy, in 3 months time I'm sure new things will have happened and future strategy changes will happen, this does not mean that the strategy today is wrong or incompetent.

But just for a bit of fun, what would you change in the strategy today, we can then use your post in 3 months time to see how right or wrong you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

• Advertisement

Friend of mine, fully vaxed (AZ) told me they are positive for covid since last week.

She has a mild dose.

Her very young children got a worse dose (unvaxxed) than her.

Shes been living her life like 2019 in last few months

Thats the reality I think now whether good or bad.

Get vaccinated and accept you will probably be infected which in all likliehood will be a mild dose at a later date.

I've come to that conclusion for last few weeks/months.

The herd has to move on...

It probably is like the flu in a country where the adult population vaccinated at circa 90%.

Advertisement