Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Is there any way to know how many were in hospital & ICU, say, this time two years ago? It’s all very well knowing how many are in hospital with Covid, but it would be interesting to know the excess hospital numbers because of it.

Anyone remember Brendan Gleeson on the Late Late Show getting emotional and passionate about the state of the hospitals, and what his parents experienced about being left on trolleys? I had to look it up there, it was actually in 2006. That was 15 years ago and has anything changed since then? 2006 was the height of the boom, fgs! There is absolutely no excuse for our hospitals to still be in the state they’re in, so much so that we’re keeping sectors of the economy closed to as not to overwhelm them, and therefore expose the health system for the absolute shambles than it is. Except for the second year now since 2006 (and so much earlier than that), they have a compliant population who are happy to sacrifice so much to protect the health system, when this problem should’ve been solved years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He is only an advisor when it suits some people to pretend that he has no real influence.

Those people are liars who do actually know that effective authority can be just as powerful as real authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its not about being naive. Its about covid-related decisions being made on actual covid-related data

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

2,125 cases, 259 in hospital, 54 in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Always_Running

This week compared to last week

73 more cases (12641 v 12714)

30 more in hospital (229 v 259)

11 more in ICU (43 v 54)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I am concerned if Tony is concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭brickster69

So when is Ireland going to step up testing, because they have to sometime very soon. Probably might of been better when they saw all those bodies being set on fire on the TV in India in the spring and thinking maybe that could be heading our way next, but still better late than never.

A bit of a double edged sword now though, because the more tests you do it will mean cases go up.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 38,306 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Needs to be an acceptance with the high numbers

Covid deaths remaining low thankfully

Exactly, it actually makes things look better, but it does take a lot of people out of commission who otherwise would be passing it on.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

You're obsessed with tests. I haven't read anyone struggling to get tested in quite some time. Testing is demand led, if people ain't looking for tests you can't just test random people against their will.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Personally I am ignoring every word out of his mouth at this point.

I am sure he will be 24/7 in our faces again come Sept/Oct, so I am enjoying some peace while I can.

Of course you can they have been doing it for months now in the UK. Fair enough they are not putting you in prison if you do not take one. I had them knock on my door in May, a whole bunch of them hit the area i live in and came door to door in the entire area.

Knocked on the door and explained they have reason to believe outbreaks in the area have started and explained everything and could we take a test from you. No problem, why not. I also asked them and they said in my town of 100K people they had found 200 people who were positive and had not even had a sniff.

- Camille Paglia

A third of the people who tested positive for Delta were asymptomatic do you know that ?

- Camille Paglia

Probably, hopefully the people they maybe infected were also.

- Camille Paglia

Ooooh, look even sleepy Macron has woke up eventually.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭prunudo

I can't help but feel that the reluctance to embrace antigen testing has contributed to delta continuing to spread. By putting all our eggs in the vaccine basket, it has failed to nip the spread in the bud.

At least if people had the option to require a negative antigen test to enter hospitality settings, they would be picking up on more cases and breaking the chains of infections. At present 1,000s of vaccinated people are blissfully unaware they either have or are spreading the virus albeit at a lower rate than if unvaccinated. But at least we could have been picking up cases over the last few months and getting the people who needed to self isolate to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,306 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Feels like it's more ignorance towards the Antigen testing by NPHET and the weak government

Didn't the Government say they will strongly consider Antigen Testing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭prunudo

Too little too late, they should have been introduced and encouraged a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Nail on the head there Deb.

Our capacity is causing us to be more restricted than other EU countries.

On the hospital numbers ICU is always full... but rarely use emergency capacity for more than a week here or there.

Elective major surgery requiring ICU beds do get cancelled from time to time, but not in any way to the degree over the peaks of April 2020 and from January this year.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

We have one of the highest vaccine rates, one of if not the harshest remaining restrictions and yet we have one if the highest covid rates and rising. The question needs to be asked why, but of course such an obvious question is beyond our media and journalists. Obvious answer to me is the complete lack of antigen testing here. Government should be providing antigen tests to every household every week. Everyone taking 2 or 3 tests a week would be so easy, cost efficient and effective it's actually criminal at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The government can't be spending money on antigen tests, it's clearly far more important to pay billions in PUP payments every month, money which is in turn being spent North of the border.

Every other country in Europe is using antigen tests but we know better as we're the bestest boys and girls in the class.

The Beaumont issue was not through the Board apparently, but a clinical decision unilaterally made by the 2 transplant surgeons.

It was not a public statement / letter at all AFAIK but to regional medical and nursing teams regarding their patients on the list, but was leaked to the right wing Irish Freedom Party by someone to stir it up.

The hospital released a statement while we were discussing it that nobody would be removed from the transplant list, however every patient will have to be assessed and deemed suitable, by the transplant team.

So no change there really!

Those patients like any other immunocompromised patients have to have all their vaccinations up to date to stay safe never mind to have transplant surgery.

On the other issues I have as you know always believed that the best way to deal with vaccine hesitancy is being open and honest about all side effects and issues.

However there are a vocal minority everywhere, who appear to listen only to whatever information plays to their bias. That would be I think what you are referring to?

On the tragic death, I think the factual information that would come from a post mortem is essential before discussion as otherwise it is pure conjecture. That is not coming from a position of cover up, just too serious to be talking out of turn about it.

Not sure what you meant by the last part about click bait articles.

I don't tend to read the media clips much. Try to go to the studies but appreciate that as I have a science background that is easier said than done.

The vaccine effectiveness is not altered by the fact that it was reported vaccinated can transmit the same as unvaccinated.

It is widely reported from USA / CDC where less of the total population is currently vaccinated.

If more of a population is vaccinated then less people will pick the virus up in the first place.

The danger is with pockets of unvaccinated is that they can be infected and spread to others vaccinated who may be so confident in their status that that they are unaware that they are a risk to others.

From what I understand, the viral load of Delta can be much higher than other strains and vaccinated people can carry it in their nasal mucosa and transmit it quite easily. If in contact with those who are more at risk/ underlying conditions who can get a breakthrough infection, and become severely ill.

This is why the US has gone back to advising mask wearing for fully vaccinated in high risk indoor situations.

Again their vaccine situation is different to ours.

This is not a negative against the vaccine, but it is why there is such a push to get so many including low risk teens and preteens vaccinated ASAP

You do know I don't have those numbers either , don't you ?

Even if I could ( which I can't because of confidentiality) give specifics about the unit I work in, I would not know the details of other units around the country .

I can only say in general terms that the majority of people whether admitted or not with Covid or just tested positive , are very sick , complicated with all the respiratory and inflammatory processes of Covid infection .

They have said how many cases are contracted in hospital ,( Dr Cormican at the last HSE briefing ) either through testing positive or hospital outbreak , the rest are Covid admissions.

I would also like to remind everyone while I am " in the system " as it were I am not responsible for its failings or policies. I am a poster on boards and only want to inform, and discuss the same as any other poster. Obviously I would have an insight into hospital and medical and nursing matters because of my profession, the same way you would in tech because of your work . So go easy please . If I say things I know to be true it's not to upset people but there have been posters who refuse to accept what I have said and attacked me personally . Not you .

You disagreed with the way the numbers are released . I can do nothing about that so to quote my post implies that I am holding back on purpose , when in fact it is outside my control .

That is what I meant by take it or leave it in my previous post to another , not that the public in general should .

If you have surgery and then test positive you have a 15% to 20 % negative outcome of serious disease or death . That would be over and above any risks you already have due to underlying conditions .

This is due to clotting, cardiac , renal and of course respiratory complications caused by Covid on top of everything else .

I recognise people are frustrated because they feel the data is being withheld , and wish they would publish the data, but most people who are in hospital do not consent to this or only once they are discharged or well . Those that die will have grieving relatives who quite rightly don't want it published at this time .

That is why you will only ever get numbers in the most general terms .

According to the front of the Sindo, NPHET don’t want any more movement on easing restrictions til October. Government fear they’ll have to make a political decision, as in their words “the finishing line keeps moving”. NPHET want even more younger people vaxxed. (Again - as predicted by loads on here who were then written off as loons/conspiracists)

Seems government finally starting to see what the general public are. We’re being taken for a ride by health officials who have no want or need to ease restrictions. Will Micheal have the balls? Probably not

(It is the Sindo yes, but no reason to doubt it’s veracity- the writer is very close to Leo and other ministers. And we know health officials are just as leaky as Leo when they want something).

The real government make a decision? No **** chance, the spineless cowards don't have it in them.

I await the faux shock when septembers plans consists of back to school and nothing else. And the NPHET shills will tell us how we’re actually lucky to be getting that. And just 4 more weeks. Hold firm.

Remember when it was just a few more weeks, all the sanctimonious bores imploring us not to throw it all away for the sake of a few weeks more to get as many jabs into arms as possible?

Here we are months later and the kites flutter from September to October to next year and we still have no idea whatsoever when the NPHET government are going to take their foot of our necks.

Holohan must shake his head in disbelief that he still hasn't been officially called on this horseshit.

I’m already using a antigen testing when I need to, as an extra precaution.

For example, before I visit elderly relatives, even though I’m vaccinated, I self test and take precautions generally.

I don’t know what the hell the HSE is so hung up about, it’s very easy to use tech and very useful.

Why fly blind when you’ve tools available or that can give you extra information?

I know the antigen tests aren’t as accurate, but they’re reasonably useful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

They are available in several chains of petrol station now and I reckon more people are using them than realised.

Advertisement