Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 taefiogadan

Oh No Ross and Carrie is my all-time favourite podcast. They investigate cults, mediums, pseudoscience and alternative medicine. I love that they don't immediately dismiss anyone's beliefs (they both come from an Evangelical Christian background) but focus on catching out the people taking advantage of vulnerable followers. The longer investigations are a good place to start (Scientology, Mormonism, Ayahuasca) and any conventions/talks they attend (Conscious Life Expo, Girl Defined, Ozark Mountain UFO Conference).

Would love any recommendations that are similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Oh No Ross and Carrie is my all-time favourite podcast. They investigate cults, mediums, pseudoscience and alternative medicine. I love that they don't immediately dismiss anyone's beliefs (they both come from an Evangelical Christian background) but focus on catching out the people taking advantage of vulnerable followers. The longer investigations are a good place to start (Scientology, Mormonism, Ayahuasca) and any conventions/talks they attend (Conscious Life Expo, Girl Defined, Ozark Mountain UFO Conference).

Would love any recommendations that are similar.

American Hysteria. They look into the stories behind things like Satanic Panic, Fake News, Gamergate, Subliminal messages, Toy Panic Buying etc..

Science Vs. Looks at what scientific evidence there is behind things like Hypnosis, Antidepressants, Detoxing, Bigfoot, Vaccines, Diets, Police Shootings.

Arghus wrote: »
    I think it's a great show, but there seems to be so many ads.

yes this "good assassins" thing had the most ads per minute that I think that I've ever encountered if it wasn't that Guinness ad that seemed to appear twice every episode or the merciless ads for other podcasts.

between that and the music the episodes were actually barely over 10 minutes long in content

never have been as grateful for the android quick access media controls

couple of good books on Mossad's "expeditions" out there that go through the more interesting ones (and more) that they skirt over in the post-episode one here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

glasso wrote: »

couple of good books on Mossad's "expeditions" out there that go through the more interesting ones (and more) that they skirt over in the post-episode one here

"Hunting Eichmann" by Neal Gascomb is a very good one that came out recently, details a very similar operation (though even more twists, as they needed to get Eichmann back to Israel alive to stand trial).

I think I recognised some of the assassinations mentioned from the book 'Vengeance', by George Jonas, which the film 'Munich' was based on (though some have questioned the veracity of parts of this book).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Started this the other day on a two hour drive, its really good, thanks!

How did you get on? Did you finish it? No updates since August 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

ReCrytoqueen

I listened to it, its a solid 8/10. some might like it more but i thought it started repeating alot of it self towards the last few episodes. V interesting story behind it all, i heard some interviews with some of the contributors on bbc since then.
    Def. worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Yeah it's interesting enough, I know nothing about Cryptocurrency so found all that good to know. I wouldn't be falling over myself to listen if you have other things on your list, but it's worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Hunting Warhead.

Quite possibly best pod I've ever listened to. The subject is not for everyone, it centres on child sex abuse/dark web/peodo Ben faulkner but it is genuinely brilliant.

Can't get enough of Real Dictators. Won gold at the British Podcast Awards. The research, narration, and mood music is next level stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

Same. Best pod I’ve listened to in years. The production is beyond absolutely top notch.

Loving the current instalments about Gaddafi

• Advertisement

They've a new one out in August: https://www.noiser.com/theshorthistoryof

It's another podcast about history. If it's up to the standards of Real Dictators then it will be brilliant.

I wonder if Dan Carlin's Hardcore History and Mike Duncan's History of Rome style of in-depth history is still popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kefflin

Love it as well. Its really well made. A friend recommended and I wasn't sure but really enjoying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kefflin

The new York Times podcast do a weekly interesting story called Sunday read i always find them interesting stories.

I started listening to Oh No today after reading this. I am really enjoying it, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Highly recommend this. Unbelievable story, I see some of those involved in crime in a different lens now.

Really wish the best for this guy, after all he's been through he seems to be doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

seems to be part of the new york times daily podcast series in case anyone else is searching for it. thanks for the podcast tip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Just binged Exit Scam over the last few days. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

A word in your ear

Best podcast about classic Rock and pop music it has good guests on too good presenters no bro dude cliches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Only started listening to The Jocko Podcast recently but his interviews with Admiral William Mcgraven and the one with Admiral Joe Mcguire are a very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Thanks for the heads-up on this podcast. Have subscribed and really enjoying it. Anything other podcasts you could recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

There's a weekly podcast released each Sunday of Jason Manford's Absolute Radio show. He does it with his mate, Steve Edge and I love it for a bit of silly banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Since the Great Recession I've become very interested in economics, and one very good recent podcast on this is Think Like An Economist. The presenters, Betsey Stevenson and Justin Wolfers, are working economists and educators e.g. Stevenson was an advisor on Joe Biden's transition team last year.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Tony bellew is angry. Tony bellew the former boxer has a new podcast on Spotify and he asks guests what makes them angry and what was the most angry they have been. I have listened to 2 episodes. One with Wayne Rooney and the other with Ricky Gervais. Both very good. Your getting a different angle on guests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

can anyone recommend any Irish podcast looking at business, specifically business related- finance, sustainability technology, banking etc.

Not just the standard RTE and Mc Williams, anyone else worth a listen?~~Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Irish Times Inside Business is out weekly or Newstalk with Bobby Kerrs "Down to Business"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

So what's the best podcasts of all time?? The Witness is the first one I listened to and now I'm hooked. Looking for more to get into.

Read back through the thread for ideas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,237 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I know I'm probably late to the party but West Cork is really good. I'm not usually into true crime but Ian Bailey is a brilliant villain. Whether he did it or not he's a compelling villain character and the series is really well put together.

Advertisement