Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

If Fergal Horgan had done his job and correctly awarded a free to Kilkenny with last puck of ball, just imagine how different a narrative would now be spinning

"Typical Cork, lightweight, brittle and chokers. Going nowhere"

Patrick Horgan would have been pilioried.

Instead, Fergal Horgan took the cushy option and blew final whistle, the narrative is now one of an inevitable era of Cork success, and Patrick Horgan if Cork win tomorrow will be Hurler of the Year.

A reminder that sometimes in hurling (and life), the margin between success and failure can be tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Comerman

Anyone know if the Minor camogie is being shown anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Just imagine how different the narrative would have been had Horgan done his job and not taken the cushy option by giving Deegan a yellow card instead of the red he deserved for a strike to the head on O Mahony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

This Cork team a joy to watch. Making Galway look really really poor. Some of the stickwork and use of the ball is unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Cork have really got their act together. Two fantastic u20 teams followed by an exceptional minor team. I would say they will claw back a few of our record 36 All Irelands. Our minors and u20s are way off Corks standard. I did perdict Kilkenny could go 10 years without a senior All Ireland, if we don't get our act together at underage and get the right coaches and the right philosophy/style of play, it migth be even longer.

• Advertisement

While their slick forwards will get a deserved amount of credit for a great display, I feel their backs were savage. Basically lorded it all night over Galway forwards, Galway forwards who were physically too strong for us.

Althought they had many fine individual performances, what was most impressive for me was the understanding and link play was almost telepathic, forged in 100s of hours of work over last few years.

I would say both the quality and quantity of sessions this Cork team has had in last few years as a squad is miles ahead of Kilkenny.

I think silverware is great but i'm unsure if minor and U20 are good predictors of senior success anymore since the move back in age groups.

You knew Limerick's U21 win in 2017 was going to usher in 5-6 quality seniors, ditto Waterford's 2016.

You also knew Kilkenny (2002/2003) and Tipp (2006/2007) minor wins were going to deliver quality seniors from those minor teams.

Conversely I would say there isnt a single player from Galway's 5 recent minor AIs you could say with certainty will be a top quality senior (Mc Donagh is class but is very small).

Titles in both grades are now going to the counties with the best underage set ups and the counties who put in the biggest hours. My jaw dropped last year when I heard Brian Hanley admit how many hours his 2019 Galway minor team had put in. I doubt Kilkenny did even half it.

This level of advanatge doesnt exist at senior as all counties will put in roughly the same amount of training time, but quality of training still matters big time.

However, this point does not negate the urgent need for Kilkenny underage (especially u20) to up its game immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

The problem is the material any U20 manager has to work with is far below the standard that the likes of the U20 management in Galway, Limerick and Cork currently. Our U20 management have to start them on there S&C journey in the other counties the base has been laid years ago and their just topping them up and pushing them on to next level. The level of coaching these young lads have received as well seems to be far below what the other counties are doing. So our U20's have to start serious S&C if the county board gives the facilities to the management, learn how to play the game in a system probably for the first time. It's no wonder we struggle at this age grade.

Since minor has gone to U17 I think it's a very poor indicator of success but U20 is not the same. We regularly see very good U20 players break into the senior team in their county and do well in years after. The Tipp double team has serious potential to rise Tipp in the next few years Sheedy didn't trust them but from what I've heard the Tipp B team regularly beat the Tipp A team in training. It will likely take them a year or two to adjust fully to senior intercounty but Tipp and Cork are going to be challenging this Limerick team for the next 5 years.

While Limerick have excellent structures in place they will struggle to maintain their current team when they get a bit older as the playing base in Limerick is fairly small for a big county. The one thing they do know with their underage structure is if there's a talent out there they'll find him and have him ready for senior when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Re: development squads at underage, can someone explain to me how they work?

Do lads go in on a Saturday and/or Sunday and do sessions?

Do they train/play with their clubs during the week then or do they do 50/50 i.e. divide their time between both?

I'd agree with about 90% of that but the simpe fact is the deficit in s&c in Kilkenny at underage hasnt as yet materialised itself at Senior. So whatever they lack at underage, it seems to get bridged quickly if you are playing senior.

For whatever flaws there are in current senior set up, being horsed out of it physically or outworked are not among them. Outhought? Now that's a different debate altogether.

I am on same page as most here, all is not rosy in the Kilkenny hurling garden, but I do want to throw out some counterarguments. Are we getting too carried away about lack of AIs at minor and u20? For instance, is spending 300-400 hours a year, much of it devoted to gym, to win a minor AI medal sensible use of time for a 16/17 year old kid who may never even play senior hurling. Dublin have won just 1 minor football title in the last 37 years and havent even made a final in almost a decade. They have yet to win an U20. Yet nobody is talking a famine for Dublin football.

As our 2018/2019/2020 minors play club over next month or two, then start college and the best of them play on good Fitzgibbon teams next year, and then maybe county senior training call up, will the s&c gap that we all saw in many of these players in 2019/2020/2021 still exist?

We have had the weirdest of 2 years and I have a suspicion that some of what we have seen on hurling pitches during that time is a bit illusory (some teams have looked better than they probably are, others have been made look worse than they are). 2022 could be really different but that's not to suggest I think Kilkenny will win AI, just that 2022 will be different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

They divide their time. Sessions are usually on Saturdays but sometimes on Wednesdays as well.

This year the U17 clubs games were Mondays and U15 games on Wednesdays with development squad sessions on Saturdays.

U16s started their gym work on Thursdays for next years minors about a month ago but with club championship starting in two weeks I think all development squad sessions are paused as of yesterday.

I presume next years minors will be busy over the winter in the gym but I'd like to see them playing hurling over the winter as well drilling a way of hurling into them. There is surely a full size astro somewhere in Kilkenny they can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Galway has a long history of wasting and squandering talent when it comes to progressing to senior level, looks like Galway will struggle to even win an U20 title with those minor teams, doubt they'll get much from them at senior level either.

Why is that do you think?

What are the reasons?

Very hard to know, but, a lot of issues from bad coaching and general management of players, county board is a disaster zone, also players from certain clubs get completely ignored as not from traditional hurling clubs while other players from certain clubs get preferential treatment. Also have a poor mentality and lack of belief, roll over at first opportunity instead of digging in, one thing about Kilkenny even though you're not great at the moment, you're still difficult to beat and hang in, in games. Galway have plenty of talent that in another county would win an All Ireland or two in the next few years, but, I'd say it'll be a long time before they see another senior All Ireland, Kilkenny will definitely win one (probably a few) before Galway see one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

We are lightyears behind this Limerick team.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Correct and Cork were abysmaL

Only their older lads Harnedy and Horgan stood up, all their suoposed young hot shots were wiped out. How the hell did we let Kingston hit 7 points?

We are as close to winning an AI as Cork, Galway, Tipp and Waterford and clser than Clare, Wex or Dublin, but we will need Limerick to come off their peak.

But I think they will, their first 15 is outsanding and the team now picks itself, but their subs are average..

Kilkenny won the most one sided AI ever in 2008 but needed a dubious penalty to eventually get us home a year later.

Things change.

For now, hats off to Limerick, great champions,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

the team is quite young, and looking at the U20, they were the only team to give Cork a challenge this year. They have at least 3 definite seniors from that batch, and KK would love to have a bench with the likes of Riedy, English, Ryan let alone the younger lads like Coughlin and O'Neill.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

You ask how we let Kingston get 7 points. I think it's fairly obvious from the debate over the last few weeks. We had little or no game plan and when it was continually not working the overloaded us with decent ball and they got the rewards. Congrats to Limerick. As physically strong, fit and as good a hurlers as you're likely to see. Their strength and speed to brush past tackles and create space for themselves and others is commendable. We just don't have the physique and fitness at the moment to carry out this brand of hurling. We've said it before this type of game ain't going to change soon so we either get on board or we won't be at the races. I know things are changing at development level but it needs to be pushed right through to the top and that requires investment more investment in the setups. We will always have the hurlers that can compete if we genuinely invest in our new development setup. S&C hD been the byword for the last 10 years but its not rocket science. It just needs to be improved big time and balanced with everything else.

Limerick were outstanding today - just a great group of hurlers who make the correct decisions at the right time. Really good to watch also. In a way at tumes, you'd think they have 18 players on the pitch.

Fair play to them. The hunger is still there and they're young. They brought their biggest performance of the year in the AIF - gradually building it up, game on game, to the final. They are still young enough and only need one or two new players in the squad every year.

Funny thing is though, they don't seem to us many players. Seems to be the same 20 or so, during the championship. Kiely must blood lads through the league. Be interesting to see how many players they used over this past 2/3 years.

All counties are a good bit behind them. Cork will take a while before the U20's come through, as Tipp are finding out.

• Advertisement

I wonder would it be better for the successful/winning minor manager to move on to the U20's, if that's the case GG, rather than staying with the U17's year after year.

Would that not develop them more if the manager/coaches know them very well and vice versa?

Each to their own opnion but I'd take a Kilkenny bench including Darren Mullen, Delaney, Leahy, Buckley, Walter Walsh, James Bergin and Richie Hogan ahead of that.

Coughlin and O' Leary may make top class seniors but way too early to be sure, they aren't bankers. Reidy, Ryan, Hanley and Mulcahy (this last year) are not world beaters and English doesnt look himeslf since injury.

My point is simply that if other counties are looking for chinks in Limericks apparent invulnerability, I believe it may be in their bench. They have had a great injury free run for last two championshipms, that will likely come to an end (not wishing injury on any one, just a statistical probability)

12/13 Limerick players who played in a dreadful All ireland qualifier in Nowlan Park 4 years ago featured today.

If you had told me coming out of Nowlan Park that essentially that Limerick team would win 3 of next 4 AI's I'd have said you were mental.

Their transformation in to what we saw today has been remarkabkle but you are correct, it is the same core 16-18 players

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RamonD3

The reversion to a round robin home and away format will not help on the injury front or in timing their peak. They have been the outstanding team in these years and were able to time their best performances to the latter stages like the great kilkenny teams. Whereas playing 4 quality opponents over 6 weeks will take more from them.

Has to be said too that they will come under the spotlight more from referees when the media have less to focus on. We saw that with kilkenny and clare before them.

I had meant to mention that point also.

In 2018-2019 Limerick lost 4 championship matches and drew two.

While they have kicked on from there, no question for me that they found the condensed 2020 and 2021 championships more suitable to a hugely strong dtrating 15 that remaimned injury free and in top form for teh games that mattered.

Already happened with Geoffrey Lynskey moving from minors to U20s a few years back, he won 3 minor All Irelands (15, 17 & 18), but, nothing at U20 level and he's now stepped down after defeat to Cork last week, so Hanley ( current minor manager) may well take his place. Another problem is the players get big heads and think all they have to do is turn up and they'll win because of the under age success, not sure if it happens in other counties but, is definitely a problem in Galway. While it's nice to have success at minor level, most Galway people would much prefer to have success at senior level, but, we're miles behind Limerick ( as everyone is), very disorganized and there's always rumours of infighting within the squad, certain players will only play in certain positions even though it weakens the team, a lot of issues that will take awhile to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Corrigible

Limerick deserving champions today. Cork jittery and not at the races and well outplayed. At the risk of sounding like a broken record - I hate the handpass. But what I really hate is blatant throwing of the ball which both sides did today. When are referees going to pull people up on this? e.g Limericks first goal - Lynch threw the ball to Hegarty. Many other blatant examples on both sides. All the RTE pundits and commentators too worried about their jobs to address the elephant in the room. Keep it positive lads -sure it's the best game in the world. Sure it is - apart from the feckin throwing the ball.

Yes, for me , Lynch's pass for first Limerick goal looked a very obvious throw.

Throwing the ball has been encouraged for years by the Fitzgibbon coaches, particularly the Munster colleges. A split second advantage drilled in to players

Lynch is a wizard of a hurler but he is a demon for this.

40 years ago and more coaches copped on that very few refs imposed the steps rule and exploited it acoordingly.

Steps and throwing sliotar are a cancer on the modern game and almost impossiible to legitimately defend against.

And just in case anyone thinks I am pointing finger excessively at Limerick, TJ has definitely thrown a few and also got away with steps (2014 late goal in Tullamore v Galway was ridiculous) and Ger Aylwyard's goal v Galway in 2018 was an emabarssment (10 steps minimum).

Something has to be done about throwing and steps.

It is making the game almost impossible for backs

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

Your deluded with your optimism for Kilkenny in the future. We are blessed we lost the Minor semi final v Galway. Cork would have annihilated us in Minor. Our u20 is closer in talent to the likes of Laois and Carlow than Cork and Limerick. Our Seniors needs a complete re build if we aree going to compete with the Tipps, Limericks, Galways and Corks in 4/5 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

What a performance by Limerick. Awesome team (even allowing for all the (thrown) handpasses)

Remember the addage that you would need 24pts to win a championship match ?

They had more than that at half time!

Anyone else find the commentary by morrissey a bit vomit inducing? Greatest performance ever, best team ever etc...

He obviously forgot about 2008 :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement