Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

I disagree. The vaccines are saving a lot of lives and preventing a lot of sickness. They have also allowed us to remove more restrictions than we would have been able to without. We just may need periodic booster shots for the first world and forget about the rest, like with the flu jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This is it, vaccinated developed countries is pointless if the virus can thrive in third world countries, and produce even more deadly variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Mathematics appears to be gone with you at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

If the road ahead is one of dodging and diving outbreaks using tailored boosters for varients emerging from elsewhere, we may as well come to terms with the fact that our quality of life will never be the same again. That road is an expensive mess as the majority of the world's population are yet to see a needle, so hiding away in a booster bubble is madness.

That approach may sound great when we get to have a steak in chips out of the rain but we need to understand that Ireland relies on global connectivity more than most and if the global issue isn't sorted, we'll feel the pain. It's also the decent thing to do and as Mike Ryan put it, we're essentially putting on two life jackets while other people are drowning.

You might be right but I just can’t see a scenario where we vaccinate the world and free it of covid. I think the best strategy is to focus on ourselves for now at least, like we do for the flu.

if we sent vaccines to the third world instead of doing boosters then it is likely we will be locked down this winter. Not sure the population would be happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Fuk NPHET at this point dead srs

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

This is where antigen should be used in every household in the country.

I thought I had a head cold. Did antigen test and came up positive. Tested rest of family - 1 asymptotic daughter who was due to attend summer camp. I was due to travel to Clare to meet elderly relatives.

I’m fully vaccinated. PCR confirmed antigen results for all our family. Antigen picked up 2nd child’s positive result 6days after mine. Again PCR confirmed this 48hrs after positive antigen.

Antigen works. It’s not perfect but it worked for me and prevented an asymptotic child attending summer camp 20+ others. It’s absolute madness it has not been embraced by this country. But, hey, Tony knows best 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

To be fair to the vaccine producers, the materials needed in the manufacture of vaccines are not cheap, the expertise required for R&D isn't cheap either and the EC has been building vaccine manufacturing plants in Africa such as the one in the below article

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_21_3845

Pfft. That’s just conspiracy theory. I bet you think you’ll need a vaccine passport to get into the pub and all.

Doom and gloom is all you people like.

It’s only a couple of months now until the vulnerable are vaccinated and the rest of us can get on with it.

Hold firmerer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

...and I'm saying it again now regarding requiring a vaccine pass to shop for food and go outside for exercise...because that's just ridiculous.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

Ha! Maybe, just maybe, they didn't even know they had it. What would printing names in the media achieve?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

90% vaccinated we are being played big time our young going to live gigs in uk am going to lanszarote next week everything open there

Will it be xmas parties in NI or UK for our young i think the NPHET govt will be happy with that, disgraceful

Even worse is the the clampdown of free open debate imposed by the NPHET govt after vaccine rollout

Well we could then all publicly shame and ostracise them, you see? Deny them services and hold them to account for… being sick. Maybe make them wear a star. Just so we can ID them, mind. We need to know that THEY are not US, somehow, surely!

Do you see why those of us who are fans of liberty and who have read some history are distressed, yet?

You'd have been better to direct your comment at 'crooked cockney villain'. I agree with your take.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

You do the math then genius

You said of the 2000 cases a day, 10% are fully vaccinated

Thats 90% efficacy

If no one was vaccinated how many daily cases would we have?

Vaccine is stopping 90% of cases your saying

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

They never should have come back at Christmas, they should have stayed where they were. Printing their names would let the community know that they were the individuals whose behaviour pretty much wrote off 2021.

Look at the abuse the Cheltenham attendees got but there was none of it given to the London ex pats coming home.

Hide away if you want but this **** has to stop.enough is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭alentejo

The vaccines are working as req. I think things will be a lot clearer when the Delta wave subsides.... which it will however it is providing different to estimate when.

If it wasn't for the vaccines, Ireland would be at level 6 restrictions with 1000's in hospital. Ireland has one of the highest rates of COVID-19 in Europe now, the main reasons being a young population and proximity to the UK.

I do think come the end of September our numbers will decline. I don't think the government can realistically loosen an restrictions until this delta wave subsides somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"Can someone please tell me why we still have restrictions with an unbelievable vaccination take up rate and we are still behaving like it's March 2020?"

Simple - an incredibly cowardly and anemic leadership being cowed by an egomaniacal cabal of one-issue technocrats.

it’s not a matter of hiding, it’s a matter of being realistic. A normal pre covid winter would result in the hospitals being overrun. I can’t see that being accepted by the population this winter. Add covid to that and we could have a big problem.

it will take a lot of planning and preparation to deal with that. There is every chance the preparation won’t be done and we will end up with restrictions again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

I reckon the thought of another lockdown delights some of those in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭alentejo

By the end of September, 90+% of people over the age of 12 will be fully vaccinated with the standard 1/2 weeks waiting for the vaccine to become fully effective so that will help. All waves of COVID-19 eventually subside so the expectation is that one should start to do so too.

As I said, this wave has been difficult to mathematically calculate due to the extra contagious of delta and various rates of vaccination amoung populations both in Ireland and other countries. It's just my gut feeling that numbers will start to subside in late September

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

No offence but if you believe that your delusional buddy

Its summer time

People really need to look beyond this island

Ukraine have no one vaccinated and they are fine

Different virus there?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Ireland already has a critical mass vaccinated and is firmly at the point of diminishing returns from that programme.

People need to cop on and stop pinning their hopes on that particular moving target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Currently in Portugal for a few days. Things are almost like normal here for us anyway. Some people are wearing masks on the streets if they can't maintain social distance and you do have to show a covid cert to eat indoors at the weekend. Masks are required in shops also. However apart from that it's like it used to be. People are mindful but just getting on with life. No nightclubs are open here but that doesn't bother us as those days are well behind us. It's a lot quieter than it usually us at this time of year which is great for us but their tourist industry is suffering too. There is no constant reminding about covid here and no yellow signs every few metres. I was talking to a friend of mine who is in their mid 30s the other day and they are worrying about what the winter will bring. I mean seriously!! They have no underlying conditions and would be very healthy. That's an irrational fear in my opinion. Glad we came away. By the sounds of it it's going to be a long winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The things you've described sounds pretty much the same as here. What's different?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Now is really the time for strong leadership and to tell NPHET nicely to **** off but neither of that is happening

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yep, not great but it's also the weekend. Mon-Tues will show just how things are. ICU remains the same.

Advertisement