Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭This is it

Fantastic result. Incredibly exciting considering I thought they were done and dusted by half time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

its was a super comeback by the ladies. Was sure it was done and dusted...Great to see that fight there in Meath, kepak is where its at!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

An especially good result considering Orla Lally has a bit of a stinker and she was player of the match in the quarterfinal. In a way Dublin might suit them better as they are a bit more open and our ladies like to play on the break.

Vicki Wall and Emma Duggan are absolute beasts going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Was in the car listening to it and when the commentator said that we were 7 points down with 4 minutes to play, I turned the radio to a music station. Didn't hear they'd won till a couple of hours after.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Meath GAA TV have uploaded a heap of games on Youtube, including the championship games in Navan from the weekend. Particularly enjoyed Davy Rispin and Ciarán Flynn's commentary of Oldcastle's comeback.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

What a win for the ladies. Will the GAA allow 40k at the final?

Surely they will. The hurling final on Sunday will have 40k at it.

Hoping to bring my 3 year old daughter to it as her first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

It’s a great service they provide for free. I watched the Kells game live on Sunday and must watch the Summerhill game - I saw them a couple of years ago in 2019 when they were playing Na Fianna in a QF after Kells played Don Ashbourne and thought they looked a talented team.

I’m still surprised to see rankings like Rispin’s that put Kells as the number two team in Meath. They look fairly ordinary to me most days I see them and the Michael McDermott managed Tones put a lot of pressure on them with a high press. Kells had 1-2 after 5 minutes (including a square ball goal that I thought should have been disallowed) so they only scored 5 points over the remaining 65 mins. Saran O’Finnegan (or something like that, Tones 15) was the best player of the two teams for me. Popped up everywhere.

Summerhill look a good shout. They had an awful start against Seneschalstown, conceding 2-3 in the first 10-15 minutes (one goal was an absolute howler from the keeper), but didn't panic and ended up winning by 3. Eoghan Frayne seems to be making the transition to senior football without much issue. Of the usual names mentioned for winning it outright, only them and Ratoath came out with wins at the weekend.

I'd wonder how much damage last season's final defeat has done to Kells. After getting so close for several years, it was their first senior final and they had one hand and four fingers on the Keegan Cup only for them to throw it away. Poor first result and they'll need to get the finger out in their next two games (a flying Moynalvey and Simonstown) or they could find themselves in a relegation playoff. Nonetheless, in the 7 seasons in senior since winning Intermediate in 2013, they've failed to get out of the group stages once (in their first season), made the quarter finals once (where they were beaten by eventual champions Dunboyne after extra time), made the semi finals 4 times and the final once. So they've probably been the most consistent team of the last number of years without ever doing enough to win it. While they never look impressive, they're undoubtedly effective and always seem to perform better than the sum of their parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I love Meath football, their tradition and what they stand for. The Meath teams of old are the greatest champions in GAA history imo. Warriors. So it was hard to watch them struggle for so long. Some think I've been heavily critical of Meath, but only because they never did themselves justice in recent years.

As I said before, their current low started with Mick O'Dowd. He was well intentioned but sent Meath back years. Got rid of many battle hardened players for kids, didn't even keep them around to bring young lads up to championship level, many playing intermediate club football.

So of course they got routinely battered by Dublin. Young kids with confidence destroyed despite bags of talent. Had their foot on the neck of the likes of Tyrone and Donegal, but panicked in winning positions. The Meath spirit and fight dead and buried, beaten dogs.

I was criticized for saying the mentality of Meath fans was to try get into division one and try and build slowly. They were never less talented than division one teams, the problem was the psychology of Meath football was broke. The above division one scenario would only give minimal gains at best. No true belief in the team.

This changed against Dublin, and will be the turning point in this teams development. For the first time in ten years I saw Meath fight, the result didn't matter. They needed a spark and it happened with a goal in the second half. People underestimate the significance of that second half performance.

For the first time these young players who came in under O'Dowd now know what it takes and what's needed to complete at top championship level. They died with their boots on, for the first time in years. They smelt blood, let the shackles off and finally went after a team, all the better it was Dublin. First time they stood up to Dublin since 2013, first time they went after a team.

Meath never had a talent problem, it was psychological, no real belief. I think they've gone a huge way to addressing that with their second hand performance v Dublin. A huge huge effort in terms of self belief, intensity and fight. Meath should be very dangerous next year, for the first time in a decade they have that fight back, and the GAA is a poorer place without Meath at the top table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I'd agree with you about Kells. Add in they've been always at the top end of Division 1 in the league and won a couple of Feis Cups the last few years and that is why they rank so highly. They've generally had a level of consistency above most teams, maybe it was a benefit to them not having lads in with the county before this season.

Minors up against Sligo in the All Ireland semi final in 5 minutes on TG4.

Good first half from the lads. 1-11 to 1-4. Absolutely excellent goal by Finlay. Possibly should be further ahead but Sligo's goal came from a penalty which I thought was soft.

Some very soft decisions going against us. Down to 14 men for an off the ball incident (second yellow). Still looking relatively comfortable so hopefully they can see it out.

Hughie Corcoran's free taking technique is unorthodox but beautiful when it goes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

Great win for the young lads, Hammer. Wouldn't mind being given an opportunity to see what the officials saw for the red card.

Hope they go all the way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Significant achievement reaching the final for Meath and leinster football.

This Meath team are first leinster team reach an All Ireland minor final in last 9 years, since 2012. If Meath win the final, they would be only the third leinster team to win minor All Ireland title in last 21 years since 2000. Since 2000, in the last 21 years the only leinster All Ireland minor winning teams are Laois in 2003 and Dublin in 2012.

This is first Meath team to reach All Ireland minor final through front door since 1993. The Meath teams who reached All Ireland minor finals in 2002 and 2012 were through back door.

Since 2000 the only leinster All Ireland minor winners and finalists are

2001 Dublin finalist

2002 Meath finalist

2003 Dublin v Laois final Laois winners

2011 Dublin finalist

2012 Meath v Dublin final Dublin winners

2021 Meath Finalist Winners TBA

If Meath win the finals it will be Meath first underage All Ireland title in 29 years since 1992. Meath won minors All Irelands in 1992 1990 1957 and reached final in 1977 1993 2002 2012. Meath won their only Under 21 All Ireland in 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Great win for the lads and great for us to now have 2 all Ireland’s to look forward to! I never thought it at the start of the championship!

By the looks of it, we're going to have our work cut out in the final. Tyrone beat Cork by 14 in the other semi final having beaten Down by 16, Fermanagh by 30 and Donegal by 7 on their way to the Ulster title.

• Advertisement

The story coming out Tyrone this is the best underage team to come out of Tyrone in long time. They will be favourites. But Tyrone played Dublin and Sligo in challenge games this summer and lost both games. Now you cannot read to much into challenge games, you don't know who was playing, but Meath two recent victories were over team who defeated Tyrone recently is not a bad sign. Tyrone will be facing the best defence they have met so far. Kelly at 3 and Corbet at 6 are best in the country in their position at the age group. Both will play for Meath seniors, Kelly particularly look like the next Meath number 3 in waiting. While defender Like Ennis is another excellent marker and Leonard also another quality footballer at wing back. Meath also strong around mid sector with Corbet, Wilson, kinlough, Emmanuel all strong big players. And upfront Corcorcan Finley O Murchu have scores in them. Best underage team I have seen come out of Meath in 30 years since Giles Geraghty Murphy. Tyrone could be strong, but I have been really impressed with this Meath team. Sligo were very impressive v Roscommon, who had beaten Galway and Mayo. But Meath never looked like losing and only for player sent off at start of second half when Meath were 9 up, it would have been a double margin win. Also penalty shouldn't have being given, it wasn't one.

Of course less than two weeks after losing the 2020 final to them, Ratoath easily beat Trim by 14 points in the 2021 championship.

Na Fianna beat Kiltale by 2 in a turn up for the books.

Another factor the game looks like it will be Croker. Which is good experience for the young Meath players. Problem its before sold out Kerry v Tyrone game, meaning there will be 12000 Tyrone supporters and 0 Meath supporters. Which is incredibly unfair. Massive advantage for Tyrone. U know how that crowd never shut up about 96. The horrible nasty comments they will be shouting v Meath young lads. It will mean this young Meath team could be playing All Ireland final in front of the most hostile crowd any Meath underage team has faced in final. No Meath supporters would be so unfair. Even if they were allowed they would be outnumbered. But at least some cheers is better than total silence. Every Tyrone score roared, every Meath score total silence. I have never heard of such conditions for any team to play a final. It could swing game to Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

If that starts happening I could see the Kerry crowd cheering on the Meath youngsters. I know I'd be cheering them on anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Ticket details being announced on Meath social media tomorrow so something will be available but I doubt it will even be half of what Tyrone bring. Have to say yesterday, particularly in the first half the score taking was immense. What I really liked was all the talk so far was about Hughie Corcoran, and rightly so, but yesterday Christian Finlay was brilliant. Always a good sign when lads can more or less take turns at being the main threat. The spine of the team is really good and strong, you really cannot say enough about them as a squad.

Thought Liam Kelly was absolutely excellent as well at full back. Felt he was unlucky to give away the penalty in the first half. Conor Ennis was man of the match in my view. This was an beautifully taken point:

Fingers crossed another few players will come through from the last few minor teams. We'll be looking in much better shape in a few years if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Contact yer clubs for minor tickets for anyone looking. Meath GAA have a limited number going through the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

Any idea when tickets for the ladies AI final are out? Will they be on general sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Has the attendance been confirmed for the final? Can't see where it says it's included in the pilot events?

• Advertisement

I think they're due to go on sale this week. But I read somewhere that they were only going to be sold in pods of two. Surely that can't be the case? If so, they'd be excluding any families with more than 2 kids. I was planning on going with my eldest daughter (her first time in Croker) and my sister but we would have liked to sit together.

Advertisement