Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switched from Eir to Vodafone - massive speed drop

Options
  • 21-08-2021 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Eir recently increased their price by €6 per month and I took the opportunity to exit the contract I was on early. Eir are an appalling company and I am awaiting the reconnection of another house to a simple copper landline for the last 13 months. A company of degenerates only supported by a masochistic customer base.

I will acknowledge that EIR's broadband was the best available here at 15mbps but the price and disgraceful behaviour out of the company no longer warranted paying that sort of money which should be delivering gigabit fibre for the price paid.

It took 15 days of no broadband after cancelling EIR for Vodafone to connect me this evening, and it has dropped down to 5-6mbps and it is practically useless. I did a prolonged speed test by downloading Ubunut and it was was averaging 6 - 10mbps down in the Jdownloader download manager.

Vodafone's broadband deal for €30 per month is lucrative and far better than Eir charging €65 per month for 15mbps but the speed delivered by Vodafone on the exact same line and no changes bar Vodafones new modem should see the exact same speed. I am thinking to dump the landline entirely and use a 4G Modem for the next 12-18months before NBI arrives with FTTH.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭beachhead

Sounds a good move

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Have you tried to use old Eir's modem then? ( Obviously you have to change User and Pass to Vodafone's at PPPoE settings)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I only WISH I had the speeds you're complaining about!

I switched from Vodafone to Eir a year ago, a move that made no difference despite their promises. I'll never go back to Vodafone but Eir are a disaster. Really there's no internet provider in the country who runs a real customer service operation. Meanwhile rural customers are paying the same as households with access to the sort of speeds that would blow my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I tried this but got the red internet light, obviously they seem to be blocking third party modems, tried an older Vodafone modem from a few years back and the same story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Murt10

Have you tried 3?

If you're getting an ok mobile signal from them, or better than you're already getting, on your mobile phone in the new house, then they have routers that use a mobile signal and run wirelessly so the copper wire won't be used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

What speeds do you get physically connected into the Vodafone router with the wifi disabled on your laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

There's no way of blocking 3rd party modem , they just probably using different User and Pass now. Just retrieve it from the new modem.

It is probably pointless anyway , as more than likely profile for you port were downgraded at the local DSLAM.

Vodafone really are beyond useless, forced to switch back to EIR this morning just to get a service working, on a lower cost price now and all could have been avoided if Eir would have price matched to begin with instead of price gouging me on a crappy 15mb service. Just shows there is no real competition in Irish telco's and obviously this was something Eir did to screw my ADSL2+ service with Vodafone.

Eir activated this morning and the speed is still not as good as I was getting prior to leaving Eir for Vodafone before the eventual switch back. I was pulling 15.2mbps and only 10 now. I'm currently on hold to Eir Technical help now and if they don't restore the profile to its old setting then I'll be cancelling within the 14 days and ordering Starlink.

Advertisement