Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novavax and the lack of Vaccine Choice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Why the emerging "need" for booster shots then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

No wonder when this site is dying when a mod of a science forum is here asking these questions. Get vaccinated and stop pushing CS on this thread.

Waning vaccine efficacy against variants is conspiracy theory now?

Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's a perceived need, the science on it is very inconclusive and there's a good chance a lot of them will be wasted by just systematically using certain profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This is one of the weird things happening on boards, do you want people go give you an ego boost and treat you as a baby to encourage you to get a vaccine? I mean, there's lots of facebook pages for that.

I don't understand this "well because you're calling me an idiot, I'm going to be a bigger idiot and never take it" is it bravado, fighting against the system, genuine fear (where lots of information and data doesn't seem to help), it really sounds like you want a therapist to talk you through this. Should we have a boards safe space for you? I mean, the internet is a nasty place at times, boards is generally one of the nicer areas and people think you're being an idiot in this area, you have to own and live with that.

But, sure, tell us what type of responses you want to encourage you to get a vaccine, and I'm sure everyone will play along, for the %'s.

• Advertisement

What CS have I pushed? Do explain, and your insistence that I get vaccinated reminds me of the way the Church works, don't dare question anything. Take a bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Er lots of people who are alive now were alive when the Church was dictating to the whole country up until the 1980s. It wasn't that long ago.

I'm having lunch with someone who was forced to go to mass against their will in the 1950s.

As long as there is this hard dictating to people on personal matters, there are going to be all sorts of unlovely comparisons made regardless of whether you find it inviduous or not.

The fact that you're trying to equate the two things would indicate that the plot has been entirely lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That's an interesting comparison but you have it backwards.

All the facts and science say vaccinate, vaccinate, vaccinate.

The anti vaxx side is just based on gut feelings, third hand anecdotes and blind faith in controversial figureheads.

So, which side is most like the Church, do you think?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And I say vaccinate, vaccinate, vaccinate too. I'm simply saying I would like to see some choice of vaccines going forward and that choice based on personal preference borne of considered thinking on it should be in play. Hell I don't care if Karen on Arsebook is anti [insert vaccine A here] for tinfoil hat reasons, but will take [insert vaccine B here] instead because it's what her star sign would do, so long as she takes something.

I chose to be vaccinated and the vaccine I chose was J&J. I weighed up the tiny risks of clotting with that one against the real world side effects I saw among those I know who got the Pfizer, most were mild, but took a few days to clear, some were pretty wrecked after one or both jabs and that included two who are still dealing with the sides after only one jab and have point blank refused a second. I saw far fewer side effects with the J&J. I also weighed up the longer in play J&J viral vector against the shorter in play lipd vector of Pfizer and the mRNA vaccines. I support vaccination. I am vaccinated. I'm simply saying I prefer a choice and as of now as far as the Irish vaccine drive goes there isn't one anymore.

Being honest I'm less sure about mass vaccinations of the school aged young though. No matter what is being claimed about long term data on safety on the new vaccine approaches(which in the current crop is all of them), there is no long term data. It doesn't, it can't exist yet. Never mind that on the one hand we have been told transmission from the young is less a worry and the schools opened up on the back of it, on the other hand now they need to be vaccinated post haste. This is a very rapidly evolving crisis. Even a few months ago few were expecting that the Delta variant would reduce efficacy as far as contracting and spreading the virus in the vaccinated and that we'd be already into boosters. The vaccine drives have been a great success, they most certainly massively reduce the risks of serious illness and death in the infected, particularly in the vulnerable demographics, but like I say this thing is evolving by the month. I can certainly see some restrictions coming back in.

Most of all I'm getting increasingly miffed at the ever more partisan and dogmatic stance taken on both sides. Any straying, no matter how considered from the current catechism whether that be tinfoil hat great reset lot or the trust your authorities/the science without question lot is met with dismissal and rancour. I expect that from the masks cause 5G cancer of the hair types, it's disapointing from the on the surface more reasoned types.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

'Most of all I'm getting increasingly miffed at the ever more partisan and dogmatic stance taken on both sides. Any straying, no matter how considered from the current catechism whether that be tinfoil hat great reset lot or the trust your authorities/the science without question lot is met with dismissal and rancour. I expect that from the masks cause 5G cancer of the hair types, it's disapointing from the on the surface more reasoned types.'

Hardly equivalent in terms of either social weight or power though are they? Have any Gemmabots snatched the vaccines out of people's hands? Whereas the latter group are talking seriously about bouncing people from their jobs, and they might be able to follow through on their threats.

Spot on, unfortunately the "STFU and get vaxxed" crew on here cannot or will not see this point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,513 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

While I accept some of what you say one thing I question is your thinking in J&J. While it a good vaccine. It's efficacy is only fairly similar to a single shot of AZ or any of the mRNA vaccines which is 60-65%

If J&J was the only vaccine developed we would be either looking at boosters at this stage or facing into a second winter lockdown.

Also there are some on here waiting for vaccines that may not be available until mid 2022. If you make that choice is it not acceptable that you do not have the same freedoms that those who have opted for vaccines have.

As I have posted it all very well to make a big story for choice, but the reason that choice is because of the 90% of other adults that went away and got vaccinated.

Having principles about choice now is because other people have given principled people choices.

So sorry like I posted most of this being on about choice and principles is BS because other gave these people the option to have that choice. It the 90 odd% of adults that took the vaccines that opened up this country. Not so called principled bullsh!tters

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

It's very simple really (and irrational)

People quantify risks different for actions that they choose to do (vaccines) vs stuff that happens to them that they don't choose (virus infection).

If you put two needles in front of people, one containing a mrna vaccine and one containing a virus shot that had the same chance of giving them covid as catching it while going about their daily lives then they would make a more rational decision.

You were asked what type of responses you would like to see to counter what seems to be a pretty belligerent mindset (that someone calling you stupid on the internet would make you more belligerent is a pretty petty response), take Wibbs post above, does that convince you to get a vaccine? Do you need something more reasoned than that? Would entry into a $1M lottery help? Are you looking for an echo chamber of how great you are for refusing the vaccine? growleaves has given you that.

I can post data and studies all day, and have posted them before, showing the undoubted safety of the vaccines, all the people in power have taken them, all the people who developed them have taken them, the manufacturer of them gave it to all their workers and their families, the experts are all coming down pretty hard on one side of the debate, what have you got to counter that weight of evidence other than "it's new", which chatting to anyone who developed the vaccines would counter pretty quickly (reddit has a number of threads like that). I expect some people won't follow that. But to go back to your opening gambit, you want to be given a choice of a vaccine that hasn't finished trials and hasn't been approved yet and expect everyone else to wait around for that, the world is moving on, restrictions will lift, the unvaccinated will start finding themselves in a pretty sh*tty place very quickly (and if you go to the vaccine passports thread and read my older posts, I didn't think they would come in for anything other than travel but delta put paid to that idea), unless you think there's a worldwide conspiracy against you, the arguments start making less and less sense.

That's what delta has changed, as the restrictions lift, that is the choice, a needle of virus, or a needle of vaccine, I can live with myself if I follow all the experts advice, read all the data that shows it's the right choice and get the vaccine for myself and kids. If I chose the former and something happens, that's all on me and thinking I'm special and know more. I can't imagine what those who refused the vaccine and subsequently died were thinking on their death beds, they may have died anyway, but there's a 90% chance they wouldn't have, now imagine taking that decision on somebody else behalf, watching them get severely sick or die and having to live with it, whatever the chances are, it's really not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This is how vaccination programmes work. You never get to 100%. A proportion of the population, ideally a very high proportion, will get vaccinated and they provide the so-called herd immunity. MMR currently is at about 92% which is a little low for measles, yet we don't hunt down parents, nor force children to be vaccinated. 

I'm not sure where you get your data on the principles of the people getting vaccinated. Some are looking after themselves and their loved ones, some are doing what they are told, some out of fear of the virus, some are doing it for a greater good but some are also getting it to get back to normal life or to hang out with their friends and in one case I know someone feeling forced into getting the vaccine. It doesn't matter why it just matters that they do.

The irony is here though is that the unvaccinated would be elevated to a better level of social perception in your eyes if they did. 

Every 1% we can get beyond our current level is a cause for public health celebration but we won't get there by being nasty to people or excluding them from parts of society. 

You can see in the commentary by both the CMO and Paul Reid that they understand the need to continue to remind and persuade people to sign up. They certainly don't care about justifications for doing so just that people do it.  

'Are you looking for an echo chamber of how great you are for refusing the vaccine? growleaves has given you that.'

Stop lying. I haven't praised Danno or other vaccine refuseniks.

I've complained about people like yourself who use every form of pressure, condecension and prodding to try to get people to do what you tell them to. Imagine how badly the mainstream campaign would have gone had public figures like Varakar mirrored your anti-charm offensive.

I haven't called people irrational or tried to boast about my own intelligence. I wonder how people can have how so little self-awareness. You've skated by without much criticism because most people were already strongly pro-vaccination to begin with. Bring your personal brand of 'persuasian' to a less popular issue and see how long people put up with your insults.

I've been here a long time and seen all sorts of arguments, people are here for information not pats on the back for sticking to their principles, how about instead of complaining about others putting pressure on, you present your own arguments to the refuseniks, shouting "leave them alone" isn't going to do much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

While I accept some of what you say one thing I question is your thinking in J&J. While it a good vaccine. It's efficacy is only fairly similar to a single shot of AZ or any of the mRNA vaccines which is 60-65%

Nope. Afraid not. The difference is in mild to moderate disease, not death and hospitalisations. In the trials of J&J deaths and hospitalisations occured in the placebo group, none in the vaccinated. More, unlike the mRNA vaccines J&J was also trialled in South Africa and Brazil where the variants were emerging and taking over and though mild to moderate disease efficacy dropped, again efficacy against deaths and hospitalisations remained extremely strong. J&J was also tested for asymptomatic infections which the mRNA weren't and the protection against them was 75%.

If J&J was the only vaccine developed we would be either looking at boosters at this stage or facing into a second winter lockdown.

Nope. Again. As for the Delta variant that has us worried a more recent trial in a few hundred thousand health workers in South Africa where Delta is pretty much the only game in town showed reaction to the J&J was actually stronger than for the Beta variant. Whereas Moderna and Pfizer have both suggested we may need boosters to deal with the Delta variant, J&J has shown in real world trials and testing to retain effectiveness against serious illness and death with the current variants. It seems the mRNA's may need the boosters before the J&J does, the manufacturers seem to think so anyway and Israeli researchers reckon the Pfizer jabs offer around 40% protection after six months. They vaccinated earlier and more completely so are seeing the fall off first. So it looks like if you got the Pfizer in the first few groups of Irish people that protection is waning already. Hell if you're over 50 and registered early(May IIRC?) you could be on the wane now.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Good post Wibbs

So we backed the wrong horse? 🐎

Why am I not surprised

Interesting article about the way forward (boosters vs. natural immunity) here: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58270098

Much of their discussion is about the current approved vaccines giving immunity to only one of the virus's proteins (albeit an important one), so of course that may change if and when whole virus vaccines like VLA2001 (the Valvena candidate) are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

It seems more likely that J&J/Janssen will pivot towards protein or mRNA vaccines, I haven't seen any follow ups with the adenovector vaccines barring a more variant specific version from Oxford, the age limits have killed a lot of the enthusiasm for it, even though they think they can solve the CVST issues that were being seen. A lot will probably depend on the success or not of the Novavax shot (and similar from Sanofi).

I think only the UK has confirmed orders with Valneva looking at bi-lateral deals with individual countries, it's probably a Q1/2022 vaccine, depending on how the trials turn out.

Pfizer are the only manufacturer who've been able to deliver in anything like the volume needed. If we had "backed" J&J we'd be at about 5% vaccinated by now. We got there in March thanks to Pfizer and AZ.

You're also misreading the information above. While J&J might be more effective against Delta than Beta, that doesn't matter. Two doses of Pfizer is still more effective against Delta than one dose of J&J.

We absolutely got it right.

Eu has done "exploratory" talks but no firm deal yet.

I think they've ended the talks for now and left it to the countries, the French will likely buy some at least.

I don't believe we backed the wrong horse G. Hindsight is 20/20 in everything and a year on we might find AZ was a lesser choice or J&J or Pfizer. The plain fact was we needed to have a horse in the race and we initially grabbed every horse going pretty much and got into the race and the three vaccines into people's arms with impressive efficiency and rapidity.

• Advertisement

You were asked what type of responses you would like to see to counter what seems to be a pretty belligerent mindset (that someone calling you stupid on the internet would make you more belligerent is a pretty petty response), take Wibbs post above, does that convince you to get a vaccine? Do you need something more reasoned than that? Would entry into a $1M lottery help? Are you looking for an echo chamber of how great you are for refusing the vaccine? growleaves has given you that.

I have agreed with pretty much everything Wibbs has had to say, so your tosh post that states I need an echo chamber or a lottery ticket to take a vaccine smacks of juvenility.

I am NOT anti-vax, I am questioning why there are not more choices available to someone aged 35-50. The AZ and J&J was blocked to our age group, albeit the AZ was available for a short period.

I would be willing to pay privately, even travel abroad to get a Novavax, Valneva or a J&J shot. I would be confident that if you done a survey of the remaining 10% of adults unvaxxed you could bring more into the fold, possibly another 2% to 5% to the totals - wouldn't that be a good outcome or would you rather preach from your ivory tower about how folk should just accept whats there like a bishop?

Advertisement