Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't buy in a new estate

Options

Comments

Nobody chooses who lives next door.

money doesn't mean good neighbours, not does it mean they won't be criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

There is always a moral hazard with social housing. Everyone needs a roof over their head, but for those who cannot pay, what roof that should be and the level of support the taxpayer should pay for it, is a matter of opinion. There is something uncomfortable about a private estate where some residents have worked hard to save a deposit and then made a 30 year massive financial commitment to live there, while next door are given the keys by the state. It might be fine for the communists - from each according to their ability, to each according to their need. I'm not sure we are ready for communism. Maybe social housing should be separate, not because its a 700k housing estate, but it is not fair on the full paying residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

FGS there was ALWAYS a thing about buying your own v being housed by the Council.

Back in the fifties/sixties I remember my mother pointing out the "purchase houses" v the "Corporation houses", often along the same road. The residents of the purchase houses often had a wall built to segregate them from the other, all legal at the time!

This is nothing new, except back in the day those with a job could afford a house, nowadays that is not always possible, and resentment builds up.

In ye olden days, they were separated though, entirely. Putting social housing in poorer areas is frustrating, and annoying on the decent residents, but in the grand scheme of things, it keeps the property market, and the citizens, working, as they have something to aspire to.

I have a job at the moment, however, if i lose my job, before i get a house, I'll not be re-joining the workforce. Why would I? People seem to post such absolute sh/te on here ('loueze' and 'one eyed jack' in particular). I grew up in social housing. My family members are in social housing, im still in a social housing estate, i have extensive experience of it and the people who are in it. The idea of 10% social housing in private estates existed to prevent the build of 100% Social housing estates as they almost always turn into sh/tholes, and 10% was fine... but when that 10% is now turning to nearly 50% (and more in many cases), and it includes premium, sought-after developments, then things have gone too far in the wrong direction.

Well if there are criminals next door in a million euro street they aren’t shooting up the local neighbourhood.

And while you can’t choose who exactly is next door you can choose the probability of who is next door. The whole private market runs like that. People pay more to live a leafy suburb rather than the middle income estate because of snobbery towards normal working middle income people, they then decry the normal working guy not wanting to live beside the unemployed.

• Advertisement

It's not snobbery, it's wanting to live in a nice place where your neighbour isnt burning rubbish in his back garden every week, and who works as a mechanic out of his front garden.

That’s what I’m saying. The snobbery is the rich and upper middle classes not living beside the middle classes, who don’t do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Social housing should be for those who work and are on lower incomes to help them get their own house but Im not sure if its fair that it should be the exact same house that their neighbour is paying a mortgage of a couple of hundred grand for.

You'd be amazed how many people in those premium areas you aspire too also grew up in social housing.

You're the worst kind of snob, the kind who looks down at where they themselves come from.

This is where I was referring to. You can to this day see the remains of the old demarcation wall between Blarney Park (purchased) and Tonguefield (Corpo).

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3197426,-6.2957062,3a,75y,257.29h,101.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sp5-9tSkxxJWJb1eMW2RKxg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

My parents lived with my grandparents in a Corporation house in Kimmage, grandparents got the house in the slum clearance in Dublin back in the day and marvelled at having a toilet and bath inside the house. Parents were fortunate enough to be able to save and buy in Walkinstown with a council loan. (the ahem.....purchase houses lol). Moved on from there to elsewhere but it was a great stepping stone. So I have no silver spoon in my mouth. But I could see looking back that those with unskilled and low paying jobs could buy as long as they were working as they could qualify for a loan from the council/corporation. Others were allocated houses/flats by the Corporation. Snobbery was always around.

• Advertisement

Martin Cahill's house in Cowper Downs was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭jay1988

So if I buy a house in Dalkey I get to choose who lives in the one next to me? Cool story. ONLY half a million euro, Jesus wept.😂

"Snob" because I wont willingly live beside a pack of filthy scumbags. You've no idea what the word means.

Omg, my neighbour did this today!

I had to take the washing in off the line, fuming! I

I hope he was burning the chicken coop he has in the garden, complete with chickens and early rising rooster.

in his private owned house.

Well the thing about that is, and I know that people on here generally don't like the idea of being able to buy council houses, but I think it's brilliant, and it's geared at exactly what your parents used it for. In poorer/rougher areas it can help clean them up a bit if people start taking pride in their houses/estate, and in all areas (good or bad) it can be used as a stepping stone to help your family (or you as an individual) better yourself.

To buy a council house, you have to have an income from employment, and you also have to have no complaints against you (for anti social behaviour, for example) and you also need to be up to date on your rent owed to the council. Those rules ensure that it's only the decent, working people, that keep their head down, take pride in their area, pay their bills etc. can take that step upwards. It gives people, who want to better themselves, a real stepping stone towards acquiring an expensive asset that can then be manipulated to better their lives as a whole. I've no issue with that whatsoever.

That said, your google maps link is mad. I've looked into social housing and estate design layout a lot and never seen anything like that. I wonder was it widely used (I admit, most of my "environmental design" (to use a fancy term) has been around the estates that have problems, and how poor design can feed into those problems (rather than how estates were separated).

You keep on with this tired charade that people on here are saying that EVERY social tenant is a scumbag and EVERY private owner is impeccable. Despite everyone knowing that's not the case. Grow up.

Well you for one, keep that idea going.

along with your calling them 'the bottom of the barrell'

It's a fair description, though. Your next door neighbour blares music til 2am each day, heads out to the garden to mess around with his broken up car and then does a few laps of the estate on his loud scrambler. His mates call around and they have a few bottles of whatever alcohol in the garden. Evening time rolls around and the music is back, there's litter and broken glass everywhere. The Gardai appear and are told to fcuk off.

That character is much more prevalent in social housing than in any other housing (affordable, private rented or private owned). You're making out like those kind of people are just grand and not a bother and sure why shouldn't they be given a house above everyone else. It's nonsense.

• Advertisement

No, I'm making out that those people live in all kinds of housing, which is fact.

Perhaps your only experience is living in social housing estates, but believe me, those people are everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You called them bottom of the barrel. Later on your referred to them as scumbags.

Such a scummy thing to say tbh. It thought you considered yourself to be more up market ?

I don't know what that last line means, but if you're asking me do I consider myself to be more "up market" than the people I described, then yes, I do.

No, I've lived and stayed in various areas. Private and social. Never seen those issues in private estates. The odd late parties, neighbours having arguments, perhaps, but never any actual anti social behaivour, except from social houses within private estates. I do know a chap that lives next door to a private house, and they have scrambler bikes, and he only knows they have them because they get loaded onto a trailer every few weeks and disappear for a while. Never used in the estate.

Re your last paragraph (unable to shorten or highlight the message, unless I'm missing something!).... I believe demarcation walls were common where both purchased and council properties shared the same road. Back in the day there were few "infill" council schemes, they were vast swathes like Cabra, Ballyfermot, etc. where they did not encroach on the sensibilities of those who had actually bought their properties beside them.

Even to this day I see lack of permeability between housing developments of private and council houses just sharing an area. Cul de sacs, few laneways anymore to enable short cuts through estates etc. But nowadays few walk to the shops, most drive. For those who don't there is often no way through either a council or private estate to shorten the journey.

Well if you actually believe that there is no anti-social behaviour carried out by private owners in private estates, then god bless your naivety, that's all I can say.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My problem is more that the house around the corner from me in our privately owned estate, was up for sale and overpriced and eventually when it was slow to sell, was paid for using my tax money, by the Council (390k) and then given to a family, while all of us around it are getting up and working every day to pay mortgages and they....aren't.

Nothing to do with scumbags or jealousy, just gets to me a bit. (And to a few others, not that it is widely discussed)

Some in social housing are unwell and unable to work but do not do crime and keep homes nice.

some of the people who have large home are white collar criminals who do not pay taxes and engage in other white collar crimes. They could be involved in the import of drugs destined for poor areas . Some use their nepotism /influence to see any of the lazy ones would not get work even if they wanted it. They keep the jobs in their own circle. Many genuine people from poor areas are discriminated by addres The nurses will see their own daugter nurses get into the hospital. I have seen that several times.

The people who do not want to live beside social say social people should get education/jobs and improve their lives /buy their homes. Maybe they who hate the poor should get more education and better jobs so they could live in places like Dalkey or in stand alone houses in the country. The People in places like Dalkey probably wouldn't want someone who could scrape to afford a 700 k house living near them.

If they are not happy near social then get a better job

Well I have lived in many different types of housing myself and over the last 23 years I have been in literally thousands of houses in many different areas.

Those issues are everywhere and those people exist everywhere.

You're very sheltered if you don't see that.

• Advertisement

I don't believe either grew up there though did they? Or engaged in anti social behavior

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement