Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2021-22 Mod Reminder/Note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Chelsea in cruise control here

2 nil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It's not even a joke but Arsenal are fairly abysmal.

The Chelsea bench is ridiculously strong too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Feels like this is game over now. Arsenal with City next, they could be bottom of the league next weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Good to see Arsenal continue on from last weekends performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Arsenal have midtable finish written all over them again. Arteta hasn't brought them a single step forward in twelve months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Arsenal TV fan base can't really say Kroenke hasn't backed Arteta in the transfer market anyway he has spent £200m in the last two seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Who's picking the transfer targets? I remember Emery saying he got lumbered with Pepe when he wanted someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Until it's punished diving will continue to happen. They're was a blatant dive by Wilson in the Newcastle villa game yesterday and no yellow despite it being checked by VAR and obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

When was this? The only one I saw was where Martinez took him out but it was brought back for offside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

how can VAR still get it so wrong? Ali changed direction toward the keeper after he touched to ball past him - not a natural movement. Gonna be another cracker of a VAR season.

Every manager now will be crying about the ‘new rules’ to hide bad performances from him and his players. Might as well be saying ‘why can’t my players cheat anymore ?’

In doing that they are dictating what the pundits will talk about and that then leads to the fans talking about it.

All subterfuge. Hiding behind lies in the hope of putting pressure on the decision makers to put things back so they can cheat.

I’ll be devastated if this gets negative traction and we see the referees going back to blowing the whistle for everything/cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,822 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Top mangers will always complain about this as they normally have the quicker more technical players , Being physical has always been a way for the smaller clubs to make games more competitive ,

Mangers are clever & sometimes are thinking about these things in advance, Example Klopp also knows he plays Chelsea & Lakaku next weekend not surprising the week before he is giving out about physical play ,he is already trying to get into officials heads ,

Ole knows set pieces and pens have been massive for them & tallies man Bruno , he obviously doesn't want to lose that ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Some of the 'tackles' in the Burnley game were comical. Literally wrestling players to the ground in several instances, and Barnes deliberately tangling was it Matip by the legs off the ball in another instance. A 100%foul in any game, if they were playing rugby and did it to a player without the ball they would be censured.

There is a difference between this and the throwing yourself to the ground at a slight tip on the toe.

One thing that i will say on the ref's side is that in nearly every incident in that game Liverpool ended up with the ball so it was just play on, which was good,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Players are conditioned to going down easy. Not just in soccer. The changes to a more free flowing game are good so far. The kinds of tackles getting waved, at least most I have seen, are reasonable, safe challenges for the ball.

The game became less physical in terms of acceptable contact as a result of rules that were needed to protect players. Over time players were protected too much and minimal contacts became a free kick. Over time the referees decide it is easier to give the foul and players become conditioned to it all so the whole process is easier for all parties to just get on with it and accept the soft fouls.

It is good to see the balance moving back to allow players compete for possession and once it stays a safe challenge - i.e not careless, reckless or using excessive force - then play should move on. The major challenge will be to see if referees distinguish between an attempt to get the ball and more cynical play to slow down an opponent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

This West Ham v Leicester game is very enjoyable - exciting stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Has to be red.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ayoze red card, not a nice tackle at all. A bit off balance but deserved red. VAR did well there.

Horrible tackle, could easily of broke the players ankle.

Was only thinking earlier that I wonder what Perez contributes anytime I see him. Not sure what his strengths are.

• Advertisement

Antonio is an absolute handful tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Sounds like West Ham had big crowd trouble with the NFC tickets tonight too, with lots of fans stuck outside for a long time.

Didn't that happen at Southampton yesterday aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yep, did indeed. There will have to be improvements made, especially when supposedly it's the PL pushing the idea that they should be used.

Surely the more modern stadiums should be better equipped for them, but at the same time, it's hard to place too much blame on the clubs when a big change to ticketing is placed upon them before the season start.

Great to see Antonio deliver like that, he's grafted all his career, and to be West Ham's all time premier league scorer is a brilliant achievement for the guy who's done it the hard way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Moyes has worked wonders at West Ham.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

To think he was once played as a right back by Slaven Bilic. Moyes has utterly transformed him.

and none of the fans wanted him.

it’s a real shame people can’t make their own mind up from watching what’s happening rather than regurgitating media drivel.

delighted for Moyes.

To be fair, opposition fans were laughing themselves silly when we reappointed him so it's egg on faces of a lot of people. People were baffled that we were replacing Pellegrini (even though Pellegrini was in the process of relegating us).

• Advertisement

Yeah. That’s true. A lot of fans had forgotten how good he was.

I’ll also say the club got lucky that the owners are so poor.

I can be shot down here, because I have a bad memory, but didn’t they just offer him a very short contract (after Pellegrini) to tie things over ? He wasn’t their first choice.

Then he did so well they extended his contract. His buys, and I believe they were his buys, have been very good.

Dawson was deemed a joke signing by most. The 2 Czech guys are typical Moyes signings. I’d say Bowen was his too and obviously the loan of Lingard was.

The owners would want to understand what they have now and back him properly.

I’d extend that to the fans too. I’ve a few friends (hammers fans) that spoke poorly of him and I could never get it.

Arsenal fans were calling for Wengers head but willing to give Arteta more time. It boggles the mind.

Yes, if it looked like there was a cohesive plan in place, decent shape on the pitch and that the players looked to be improving by all means keep him but at the moment it looks the complete opposite.

Another mid table finish is on the cards for Arsenal by the looks of it (I'm basing this on the general play of the team where everything is so pedestrian in attack and loose in defense where space is opening out wide and players not picking up runners). Yes they have players to come back in but I don't know if it'll improve a whole lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Arteta is a dead man walking. Its only a matter of when, not if he is sacked. A pasting against City at the weekend will leave him on very shaky ground.

The owners hadn't backed previous managers but then poured money into the squad with Pellegrini, who unfortunately mostly wasted it on players like Anderson, Yarmolenko and Haller (who is excellent, but just didn't fit in or seem at all interested). Now I don't think they have the money to properly back Moyes. Our only signing of note (apart from promising youth players) has been Areola on loan.

I don't think Moyes has made a particularly bad signing yet. Dawson was an odd one at the time, but he was mercurial for most of last season (though his performances have markedly dipped in the last while). Benrahma appears to be coming good now he's gotten more goals in his first two games this season than all of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

International break in a few weeks, 2 huge games for him before that.

Lose them, well.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I can't understand arsenals transfer business. They desperately need experience and leaders and are buying the exact opposite. As bad as Arteta is, they've put together a nothing team.

Edu has been a shambles no idea what he needed on his CV to get the job but he obviously is not up to it ,

Some of his signings are Luiz , Willian , Ceballos , Salibia, Pepe ,Mat Ryan then this summer White & Ramsdale ,

Let Martinez go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

EPL teams will block players from red list countries travelling for September games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Out of interest how do the clubs plan on blocking players travelling?

Presumably the players possess their own passports so there is nothing to prevent them travelling as such. Whilst I expect most players to comply, I'd wouldn't be surprised if a few decide to play for their countries anyway. FIFA will be on their side (probably UEFA too as at least one of the red-list countries is a UEFA member) so the clubs would be on dodgy ground if they try to impose fines. Obviously 'sacking' a valuable asset won't happen.

• Advertisement

The Premier League have made a statement that all PL clubs are blocking players from travelling to red list countries.

I assume if a player travels without their clubs consent they will be punished in line with the clubs internal policies by way of fines, stop on wages for the period missed, or moved to the reserves you'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It'll be be interesting to see how it plays out anyway if no resolution is found.

Off the top of my head, I'd be thinking of players like Soyuncu, Cavani, Emiliano Martinez as potential 'breakouts'. Maybe more, maybe none.

(As an aside, this isn't going to help the FA get the necessary votes to win a world cup bid)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Unexpected news,

I think I'm going to have a stop. I'm going to have to take a break, see what we've done," Guardiola said.

"Next step will be a national team, if there is a possibility."

Speaking at an online event organized by Brazilian financial services company XP Investimentos, and quoted by ESPN Brasil, he added: "I would like to train a South American (team), European, playing a Copa America, I want to have that experience."

City have to be annoyed by this news and it breaking in this way. It could influence decisions by players next summer - players City want may not want to go there if they are not sure of who the coach will be. Players not in favour might look to hang in. If things hit a bump it might be hard to get going again if the coach is set to leave.

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

In other words my contract is up soon give me more money as to be fair unless Man City have a big upturn and lose lots of games he is not going to be sacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Bad news for City

“#Breaking Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy, 27, has been charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault against three complainants aged over 16 between October 2020 and August 2021, Cheshire Constabulary said”

https://twitter.com/mancity/status/1430917142128508938?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Pep might need another £50m to buy another fullback.

As for him announcing his Dept attire date….well if he doesn’t win the CL it will have been a complete failure, and an expensive one, appointing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

If you add city's spending,and psg's ,plus wages,over a decade,will be astronomical, and zero champions leagues between them,only one final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chicken feed to both countries for the sports washing promotion football gives them.

The UAE makes over 300 billion a year from oil sales alone.

Qatar makes about 90 billion a year from oil sales alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't think we can go that far... his 100 point team might well be the best, most dominant ever PL performance. He's succeeded in making City the big dogs in England. It definitely won't have quite been the success they'd all have hoped for - especially when it's his own decisions that have hamstrung them in the CL when they had the teams to win it - but failure is going a bit overboard I think.. He'll have been a success, with reservations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Oh I'm well aware,just pointing out,it's more than just money that's needed,and moreso,any club looking to break into the big boys club would want deeeeep pockets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

In the 5 seasons prior to Pep joining, City won 2 from 5 leagues. In the last 5 they’ve won 3. Ok, an improvement. But look at the fortunes they’ve spent. They’ve done better in the CL under Pep but still haven’t done what what Pep was brought to do. If he leaves in 2 years without a CL title then I can’t think of another way to describe his reign other than he failed to do what he brought to do. The same as at Bayern.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement