Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Tsimikas seems to have had a great game by reports I've heard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,492 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There was a lot of fight in everyone today, and he joined in from the examples he saw, but not only did he follow suit, he fought harder than anyone.

Top of the table, now lets see if Chelsea can go away to Arsenal and win, and can Man U go away to Southampton and win. All looks easy on paper, as were our two games, but we had to fight like dogs and show togetherness and brilliance to win, not sure United and Chelsea have these qualities .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Utd came back from deficits more than anyone last season.

Chelsea are European Champions.

Yes, they have to keep up with us now, but I wouldn't question their fight on recent history.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

When he is up to speed he has shown he can be just as good as Vvd. Definitely his best partner. Fingers crossed he can stay fit this season.

Didn't get to watch today's game but a very pleasing result. I am interested to hear how Tsimikas and Elliot got on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I thought Elliot was decent/good 1st half. Busy and a willing trier to get on the ball, and kept it tidy when needed. But then 2nd half he seemed to have a poor 20 mins after HT where he gave the ball away a bit or didn't take advantage after getting the ball in good positions. This was during a time where the rest of the team were playing a lot better. Bobby & Thiago were warming up and I thought he would be the first to get taken off. But then he just delivered this brilliant cross to Salah from which he nearly scored from and came back into the game again and finished it stronger again.

Thought Kostas had a strong performance overall. Robbo-lite in a lot of ways. His cross for the goal was brilliant, and it wasn't a fluke either. He had good delivery throughout. His best performance for us IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Almost a pity Tsimikas will likely be back on the bench next weekend. He probably feels his Liverpool career has only got going now. At least he's firmly back up LB now and has Klopp's trust. He might actually feel he can rest Robbo in certain games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Absolutely, will be great to let Robbo rest sometimes. And there's a decent chance Tsimikas will be needed again after the internationals, I fear Scotland will run Robbo into the ground

The thought that next week we could bring in Robbo, Fab, Thiago and Bobby is pretty amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Elliott was fouled more than any player on the pitch today, I can see him winning a lot of free for the team this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I've somehow found myself watching Brighton vs Watford.

Trying to find some relevance by looking at Sarr and Bissouma who have been tenuously linked.

Sarr and Watford in general have been anonymous.

Bissouma looks really really really good....would be a very interesting addition to our squad

I would counter that with saying last week Sarr looked he would be a perfect fit for us and Bissouma was totally anonymous for Brighton didn't even look good enough for a championship team even with Brighton winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

There is some element of luck in winning the CL and only just qualifying for it and also for being at the top of a statistic like that. If you just have the luck going against you and your season is a lot different. United conceded a lot to be able to claim the record of making comebacks, we will have to see if Varane is the answer to stopping that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Good win.

I liked the back 4 in particular, Tsimikas was excellent, Matip is a beast when he's fit, Trent is Trent, great for the 4th best right back in England.

Front 3 threatened all day, delighted to see Sadio score to boost his confidence again.

Middle 3 meh.... Elliot was good for his debut, but he faded after the break before recovering and finishing strongly. Hendo and Naby did OK, but as a unit, the midfield struggled in 50 50 battles most of the day, we're out muscled and out numbered at times, which was more to do with the setup of the side then anything.

Good start, hope Tsimikas isn't injured with the bang on the shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Walter Alright

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Tsimikas start next week. Kloop likes to reward good performances and it’s not like he’s a young rookie who will be overawed by the game against Chelsea.

The under 18's beat Man U 0-5 today with the Champions League ball boy scoring a hat trick.

5 goals in the first two games for him this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Kostas had his own "Robbo against City" moment near the end of the game.

Played really well overall and I've no doubt he's earned klopps trust over the last 2 games and pre season.

Sadly another footballer diagnosed with dementia :(

Liverpool legend Terry McDermott has confirmed he has been diagnosed with dementia.

The 69-year-old, who made 329 appearances and scored 81 goals for the Reds between 1974 and 1982, has announced he is in the early stages of Lewy Body dementia following hospital tests.

McDermott said: “I’ve got to get on with it and I will. It’s the way I’ve been brought up. Nothing has come to me easily. I’m not frightened of taking it on and also, as we’ve seen, there are a lot of former players in a worse state than me.

“Battling is second nature. The worst thing was, until my condition was diagnosed you don’t know what’s going on. The number of ex-players being diagnosed with dementia or Alzheimer’s is frightening.”

McDermott is considered one of the greatest midfielders in the club’s history.

He was signed by the legendary Bob Paisley from Newcastle United in November 1974 and went on to lift four league titles, three European Cups, a UEFA Cup and two League Cups for Liverpool.

McDermott was also the recipient of the PFA Player of the Year and FWA Footballer of the Year awards in 1980.

He was present at Anfield on Saturday for the Reds’ Premier League fixture with Burnley and is keen to maintain his attendance at Jürgen Klopp’s side’s matches.

“I’ve been looking forward to going down to Anfield and seeing the lads, people I have known for years and having a good craic with them,” he said. “Thankfully there are games coming up regularly now which I can go to.”

Everybody at Liverpool Football Club sends their love and best wishes to Terry and his family and the club will offer any and all support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Matip is absolute tremendous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I see Bissouma contract is set to expire in 2023. I wonder is he on the radar for this reported rebuild next summer. Should be able to negotiate a decent price with 1 year left for him. He has been immense for Brighton the last 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's great Tsimikas looks a quality signing, Robbo is the one player I feel has been overplayed so brilliant to have that option.

Trent is just different class. We talk about players like Mbappe, this guy is on that same level, just a generational talent.

Elliot take a bow, grabbed his chance with both hands.

Great to have the big man back at the back, just imperious in the air and long range passing.

Midfield looks grand at the minute as we are stacked with everyone fit but how long until keita, ox, hendo or Thiago break down? If we can bring in another quality midfielder before the window closes I really think we are complete and will go all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

That's weird. Someone above said that last week Bissouma "didn't even look good enough for a championship team even with Brighton winning."

One of you is very wrong!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Poor oul Gini being slated for being 'invisible' ..by psg fans ..... I watched Brighton yesterday too,bissouma stood out, didn't bsee there first game.

Hendo's new contract is till 2024 which would be a 1 year extension on his current one which runs out in 2023.

Wasn't 1 year all the club was offering originally anyway before his agent went public about the lack of talks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Well if anyone seen Brighton yesterday he was by a long way the best player on the field. I'm a big fan of him...

Fair play.

Modern science is wonderful. Why be a bald, blind, yellow toothed middle aged man, when you can do what Klopp does, new hair, new teeth, new vision.

If you have a classic car you take care of it, so treat your body the same.

All our goals are from

Jota, Salah, Mane, Firmino

SO same issue as always................... or is it really an issue..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I see some people are already banging the Ole Out drum 🤣 I can predict a spectacular failure this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Be nice to get some goals from elsewhere too but the lads we pay to score them, all scoring them can't ever be considered a problem. Unless you get a freak occurrence like last season when they all forget how to do it at the same time!

Yea, maybe. A clean sheet equals a victory when those four are available. If anything we need to tighten up a bit at the back, far too open yesterday, Trent was almost playing as a 4th forward yesterday, and no one fills those gaps better than Milner, or Fab, Henderson bit rusty in that role yesterday, good with ball facing forward, but we lacked some protection multiple times, especially in last 6 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

There was posts earlier today about how this United team is better than the Liverpool team who won the CL and PL. Delusional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Best defence will win league this season imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Imagine paying money to see this Arsenal team play. I dont know if even the 2011-2012 Liverpool team were as bad as them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Think that James lad is a super player..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Ah jaysus..like watching the Irish national team every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I can’t understand how Arteta has lasted this long, and why there doesn’t seem to be constant pressure on his job? Have Arsenal fans just accepted being a mid table club now or is there something huge I’m missing that excuses the awful results he’s had?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Shaq going to Lyon for 9.5M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Liverpool have agreed a fee of £9.5m with Lyon for Xherdan Shaqiri. Initial bid was around £4m

Paul Joyce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Surely that opens up a space for Sanchez?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

'Glad' he's got the move, it was time. I look forward to seeing more of him playing for Lyon, good move for him.

Surely someone on their way in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Decent money for Shaq to be fair. Bought for what, roughly £13.5m and performed his squad role well when fit. Hopefully he can some really good game time now in Lyon, as he reaches his peak years.

Will be remembered for performances against Man United, Everton and that pass for Jota's winner against West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Renato? He was injured two weeks ago and I think they said he needed surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

I think a lot of Barcelona fans will also remember his time as a Liverpool player, his cross for Gini's 2nd goal was worth the original £13.5m transfer fee alone!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

He had the surgery expected to be out for 12/15 weeks. So he won’t be leaving France this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

A serious poster or their version of Toby? Hilarious if the former.

Have the owner protests finished or are they waiting on another dog whistle from Neville?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

That's a bit of a bargain for Shaq. In a mid table attacking Premier league team or a top team in a weaker league hed be a fantastic signing. We only ever got glimpses of his ability. Don't think he ever had the consistency to play regularly for us but Lyon play good football against poor teams most weeks. He'll flourish over there.

Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I don't expect us to sign another midfielder just cos Shaq is going. The manager is obviously very happy with what he has midfield wise especially with the emergence of Elliott. I'd like us to add another forward option but again I'd say he's happy with the four obvious ones and then Taki as back up or Origi if he stays. Either way we aren't going to be signing a forward that'll get in ahead of any of the four in this window.

• Advertisement
Advertisement