Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’ve no issue with that but why do they need to be giving that extra detail?

Ah was that what flattening the curve was too do last April.wasn’t there money and time given to the poorly paid head of the hse to sort that out.oh wait sorry I realised it’s still March 2020 and the hse are wasting my money still

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

RTE woudkn't know that and for some reason they don't have any actual reporters that ask relevant questions like that.

But I'd expect the % vaccinated admitted to increase as the % vaccinated in the community increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Because it's better if those in hospitals are unvaxxed since it means the vaccines are doing their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Admitted to hospital or caught in hospital, a big jump would hint at an outbreak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

It's the weekend, that's why hospital numbers are up, NPHET are back from their holidays, people want more restrictions lifted due to the high uptake in vacccinations here which is not being met with a corresponding lifting of restrictions. Instead we get caution, more caution and extra indecisiveness. Meanwhile in NI and UK, there is no vaccine passport, they've lifted restrictions and they're still standing.

We've got completely stupid rules where anyone can come for a party in a house, but we can't go and sit in a controlled environment or heck even take a 'snake oil' antigen test and attend a concert. Interesting the countries using antigen tests widely - notably Germany and others in Europe, are doing much better with Covid numbers than Ireland despite being less restricted than us.

What have the HSE done to help increase capacity in the hospital system for both Covid and non-Covid care due to the pandemic? Why are Irish doctors and nurses being treated so poorly they're all emigrating? What ever happened to the 'call for Ireland campaign' - did they happen to offer them all terrible temporary contracts which resulted in many just emigrating again?

Are we all going to be held to ransom over this absolute car crash of a system - time for the Government and HSE to make a proper Autumn / Winter plan.

All they do 24/7 is tweet vaccine pressure tweets while failing to do their job and get the health system functional. Look my children are getting it, yours better too despite NIAC only recommending the vaccine in younger age groups to those who have at risk conditions, or who live with someone whose immune system is immunocompromised. Are NPHET shifting the goal posts again re vaccine targets? Why is this?

Why are we hearing Pfizer and other vaccines efficacy is dropping already, what sort of useless vaccinations are they if this is the case, when no sooner are we all completed - then they start up with talk of needing boosters - a never ending cycle of money and greed while other poorer countries don't even have their front line staff vaccinated.

Now we've RTE news discussing Covid measures at the All Ireland Hurling Final and how Limerick fans need to celebrate 'carefully' - what a pile of sh** altogether from RTÉ and Ireland in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Or that lag between cases and hospitalisations that people talk about. Weekend numbers though.

It was one of her ministers. Is in the NZ Herald. Personally I think she’s making a big mistake by not publicly acknowledging the risks / lack of endgame for this strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No , not saying you , Calamari , thought I said that . And thank you for that .

You have always argued the point not the person but just tired of other posters . Tbh won't bother replying to some of them anymore .

I don't think that all of those testing positive when admitted with something else are very sick .

There are degrees of illness but the patients I see in ICU obviously , are very sick with Covid no matter how they got it .

Most patients that are positive on admission are discharged asap and rescheduled when well so the ones left in hospital are those that are too sick . Not always with Covid , but you can be guaranteed that if they are ill at all Covid kicks in and exacerbates everything , as I said in the previous post re Inflammatory process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

New lockdown around the corner. Cheesus, over 80% of population are vaccinated, youngest population in the EU and the only country in the EU which will be fully locked down again this winter...

I honestly don’t see this ending anytime soon. There is simply too many agendas and too many that won’t let go of Covid easily.

You can already predict that there will be another variant of concern at some point that will be allegedly more transmissible etc.

There will be media and experts desperate to question the vaccines efficacy and claiming it’s reducing etc.

The world really needs a huge event to knock this nonsense off the front pages.

Most of us are vaccinated now. It’s time to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

I wonder, how Sweden and Belarus managed to cope without these stupid lockdowns... Will MM borrow more money to throw at us?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,474 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Every strategy has risks. But up until this point NZ have done amazingly well. There's a bit of revisionist history going on now but if you look at the facts: 26 deaths on total and a relatively normal life for 90% of the pandemic. It's hard to argue with the overall strategy they've employed up to this point.

I'm not arguing BTW that we could have followed the same approach here. We don't have the geographical isolation and part of another jurisdiction is already connected to us. What worked for NZ probably wouldn't have worked for us.

I presume their end point is exactly the same as everybody else, try to get as many as possible vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Slim chance of ever getting accurate Belarus figures I'd say - their numbers have seemed suspiciously uniform throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Looks like an outbreak in a hospital but God forbid RTE report that

Not denying what has happened to day. I actually think we got a good balance here (though are now being too cautious)

The end game is to live with Covid, and try to keep deaths and serious illness under control. Not at zero. Only point am making is that ZC countries need to switch from a ZC strategy to a ‘living with Covid’ strategy. My friends in NZ are getting anxious that this will be years away (though there are increasing voices in NZ suggesting that the strategy has to change sooner rather than later).

Isn’t the point about NZ what they do next? I don’t think anyone’s denying they’ve done well, but it’s fair to ask have they just kicked the can down the road? What’s the end game of zero Covid?

Given their vax numbers, all it takes is for a couple of delta cases to get through their travel net and they’re in deep trouble given their lack of infections so far.

Saolta group reporting this in the West.

There has been a large outbreak in Mayo recently .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Looks like it might be GUH this time looking at the daily 8pm figures day on day

• Advertisement

Looks that way, 17 cases/admissions in the past 24hrs, in the days before that it was 2 or 3 cases/admissions.

If you look at the data source from the dashboard, the 7day covid admissions have been stable (blue) but cases detected (orange) a little more choppy.

The dashboard use to only show the admissions but was changed months ago to positive cases detected.

Still not insignificant number of Covid admissions in the last week , 33 today and averaging high 20s to low 30s , when it had just been in the teens week before .

Not seeing those numbers in Dublin hospitals as yet .

Oh I completely agree, it's just a certain few days have seen substantial spikes in hospital 'admissions' and then RTE gets the doom and gloom headline etc...

Dublin incidence rate is looking stable, and spikes in hospitals wouldn't be expected (apart from outbreaks in them)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

This is not a post that is meant to antagonise people but last weekend I spent a weekend in Liverpool and I can only say it’s like a different planet over there . Landed early Friday morning over there and home early Monday morning . The feeling of freedom over there and utter oppression on return cannot be conveyed in words . People will say look and their mortality rate compared to ours from the outset of the pandemic and that’s absolutely true but what relevance has that to the current situation now in this moment. Nothing. There has been an incredible culture of fear spread in this country and it’s so terribly damaging . People religiously discussing case numbers hospitalisations what this might bring what that might bring . For the love of god people this has to stop . It’s utterly destructive. England has shown us there is no need for this oppression

Glad you had a good weekend away , good for you!

Now is it ok with you if people discuss Covid , numbers , hospitalisations, where it's going etc , on the main Covid thread ?

Not posting to antagonize either. Just saying .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Is our government totally out of the loop here? Covid is NOT going away, not now, not EVER. A respiratory disease like influenza doesn't ever "go away"... with over 90% of the population vaccinated then why are they talking lockdowns? With 100% vaccinations they'd STILL be talking about lockdowns, it's time to ditch the lockdowns and get on with things now.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

Yes of course . It’s just my opinion that it’s an unhealthy obsession and it’s holding the country back now . I genuinely felt apprehensive about going away for the weekend . Thought long and hard about it and backed out in my mind numerous times .I have a lot of time for the opinions of posters on this thread including yourself but I think that the country has been enveloped in a culture of fear . I don’t know the answers to this pandemic but i think we have run out of rope in this country with current restrictions . They are harsh and anyone who says they aren’t isn’t being honest to themselves .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

I saw tonight's Channel 4 Dispatches documentary on the lab-leak theory. A naturally-occurring respiratory virus that causes a serious disease would not be transmissible from human to human so easily.

https://twitter.com/C4Dispatches/status/1429489308772282372

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Maxface

It's a fair point. At some point we have to move on from discussion of most things Covid and move towards a closer version of life to what we had before. Unless something horrific happens then we are getting our lives back with each passing day, with blips along the way no doubt but we need to collectively move on for our own mental wellbeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

“People religiously discussing case numbers hospitalisations what this might bring what that might bring . For the love of god people this has to stop” I agree, but I LOL’d at the fact you used religious terms there because fear and oppression are apart of our DNA… basically living with Covid in this country is in essence answering to the clergy back in the day.

Advertisement