Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,295 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2020 senior football final played today. Congrats to Ballinacourty

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭decies

maybe we are the second best hurling team in the country after all . But who wants to to be the second best . Going to have find a some series gold nuggets in coming years to finally break this curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

appaears so, have to feel for cork, with all thier arrogance and bravado, i know what it is to be in croke park and have that done to you, please god let limerick have peaked

Jesus how I'd love it if we were all heeding back to our cars/pubs after winning the All Ireland now

Someday please god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Wouldn’t feel too bad for cork. They Have dished our similar if not worse beatings to teams over the years including many to w’ford.

how does this defeat compare to kk’s annihilation/demolition job 2008......? Score line closer but Limerick could easily Have won by 20 plus pts.......?

Post edited by Asdfgh2020 on

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

There's another few All lrelands in that Limerick team yet.. They have the physicality and the skill in abundance.. Up to the rest of us to try to catch them in the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

As someone just said on Twitter …. It will probably take the Mayo footballers to finally beat this Limerick team.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Waterford are 6th favourites to win next years AI (truth is sometimes stranger than fiction). In fairness, Limerick are already the winners, going by the bookies ; Galway are second in the betting @ 7/1. What could possibly go wrong for the Limerick.

Waterford’s stock should have risen after today. Though beaten by 11 points in the semi final, we could have scored 2-3 goals on another day, not forgetting the considerable disadvantage of playing 4 weeks on the trot.

Rumours are rumours but am hearing Cahill is going to tipp and coolmore looking to sponsor them, don’t kill the messenger 😂 . Anyway this needs to be sorted one way or another as soon as possible . Much work to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Heard he is gone next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I’m fairly glad now we got Limerick in the semi final and it was Cork and not ourselves put to the sword yesterday. Another heavy beating in an AI final could have been very damaging for our players as it’s very hard to come back from it as we know from 08.

all the more reason now I think Cahill will go for the Tipp job, there is a 3 or 4 year building phase required in Tipp and it’s hard to see ourselves or anyone else getting close to Limerick in next couple of years regardless so it’s the right time for him surely.

we live and hope we are definitely the best of the rest after Limerick but there is no prizes for that as we know. Just hope to get all our squad available next year and hope we can come up with a new way to counteract this Limerick machine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah that's all we can do really, even with the lads that will return to strengthen the team it's hard to see us (or anyone for that matter) getting the better of Limerick. They are just too strong, even if someone can put it up to them it's a case of trying to sustain it over 70+ mins which is the hardest part. You're going into games against them just hoping they'll somehow have an off day as that's the only chance you'll have.

Agree also above that it probably is going to be a case of Cahill taking the Tipp job. Unfortunately, yesterday's result is demoralising for anyone who isn't Limerick and Cahill will be well aware that there's another few AI's in them. So he'll probably view it as the right opportunity to bunker down in Tipp for a few years and assemble a panel that will be good enough to get over Limerick in a few years if a period of decline sets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

We are definitely the best of the rest, and with a couple of players back from injury (TdB will be a huge addition next year again), one or two u20s getting more established, massive hunger levels and a bit of luck we might be able to beat Limerick in the next year or two.

Playing a fresh Limerick team while it was our 4th week on the trot was far from fair on our lads this year as noted by the various analysts out there. If we can keep Cahill that would be absolutely brilliant but looks unlikely at this stage. Next appointment absolutely crucial. Could Pat Ryan be tempted from Cork underage setup?

Lots of positives to take from this year. Our day will come. Deise Abu.

Pat Ryan could find himself required in Cork a lot sooner than anticipated after yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

Anyone else a bit happy to see Cork hammered yesterday? After their semi I thought we would have beaten either of those teams handy with our performance against Limerick, which wasn't our best at all. I naively thought others would think the same, but everyone I heard talk about it seemed to think that Cork would provide Limerick's toughest challenge. Then I started hearing how arrogant the Cork lads were - one fella told me that they should have won three all Irelands since their last win. The 2013 one (obviously), 2017, they had that semi won and I can't remember what other year. Part of me also wondered is that what we sound like when we talk about the All Irelands we should have won in years we got to a semi.

My fear was that Limerick wouldn't put in a good performance on the day and that Cork would come close or even pip it. As good as Limerick are, they're not invincible. Tipp really should have beaten them this year. They never put Galway to the sword last year and just managed to hang on. An average KK side beat them the year before. They're unquestionably the best and in fairness this year did show it in every game, but they're not unbeatable on the day.

Nope unless your a Limerick fan as far as I can see nothing good came out of yesterday ( unless you really hate cork ) . I thought cork had some chance of at least making a game of it . I thought we got beat by Limerick despite them not needing their A game , what I didn’t think was limerick had some many extra gears to go throw . It was bloody frightening what that limerick team could do yesterday didn’t think they were capable of that . I know all good things come to a end eventually but my god the worlds their oyster for the foreseeable future in senior hurling . We just have to hope that out of minors and under 21s we unearth some gems and them we can take our chance should the opportunity arise .

Be honest I think your clutching at straws there, There’s gobshites in every county. Didn’t take any satisfaction from that game yesterday, winners or losers. It’s easy pick holes in every Limerick performance to say their not invincible, it was the same with the great KK team of the noughtues, they didn’t hammer every team out the gate, often times only barely scrope over the line when needed to, but that’s the sign if a great team that knows how to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭deisedude

I live on the Cork side of the border and to be fair most of the Cork people I talked to were saying they were hoping that Cork would put in a good performance.

That narrative about Cork providing Limerick the best game was pushed heavily on all media outlets that I read or listened to but I think that's because people rated Kilkenny as a better team than they actually are and put more stock in Corks performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

I genuinely feared for Cork going into yesterdays game for two reasons:

• the first being the arrogance portrayed rightly or wrong in the media - they showed a real lack of respect for this Limerick side which meant any chance of complacency setting is was definitely out the window - they were going to be hell bent on putting things to right. Easy for journalists etc to "poke the bear" because they do not have to deliver.
    • Cork's game plan is totally dependent on building from the very back and working the ball all the way up the field through the lines at every opportunity, in order to get the ball into the hands of their speedy forwards. I feared that Limerick would apply massive pressure on the Cork backs as they tried to do this and that they would turn over a lot of ball in very dangerous positions, and they did exactly this. Unfortunately once this happened Cork had no alternative plan and as a young side they just crumpled - but they will learn and they will be back
    • Looking at the bookies odds for next year it is easy to understand where they are coming from making Limerick as favorites followed by Galway, particularly if we return to the "round-robin" Provincial championships - Limerick realistically will have to face Waterford, Clare, Cork, and Tpp and then face once of them again in a Munster Final while Galway will be facing Kilkenny, Dublin, Wexford and Laois - I honestly believe that given where teams are "at this moment in time" and not being disrespectful to Leinster sides - Munster is going to be far more competitive and is going to take far more out of the teams that qualify through this group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

Yep I think blueflame has nailed it on the head.

If we return to round robin then two of Clare, Cork, Tipp and Waterford won't be going to the All Ireland series. I wouldn't bet on any of them going through, not even ourselves being honest. It's going to be an absolute slaughter with anyone one of those teams capable of beating us on any given day.

The one thing I take from this season for us is that that we played our matches against the last three champions and beat two of them. I think progress has been made but we still have a way to go and without Cahill it's all up in the air again and we historically haven't done manager changes very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭TheG0AT

So why aren't the county board demanding more from TQS for their name on the jersey. Aren't they on all Waterford jersies in men's teams from U14 up. They've got great exposure the last few years so surely the sponsorship money should be a lot higher. And if TQS aren't willing to give it why not allow these people who have been helping out in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭OEP

TQS have been acquired by a big multi national now too, so who knows what will happen with their sponsorship

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I'm not privy to the details of the TQS sponsorship deal but other counties would have multiple sponsorship deals in place. Waterford are probably the same. Costs are too high for one sponsor to absorb.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Beat me too it

A lot of speculation in the Article. At least we will know the story by the end of the week

If Liam is to go, then at least the Waterford CB will have a bit of time find a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 46 HelloHello1234

anyone at any of the intermidiate games the weekend. I honestly think ballygunnnar could win Senior Intermidiate Junior A and B this year. Also how are the formats working. Tramore with a big shock aswell

Eastern Intermediate results from last Saturday- Ballygunner 5-23- Ballyduff Lower 0-06

Amazing score considering Ballyduff Lower were Eastern Champions last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Heard cahill and fanning have the job and coolmore as sponsors aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I was going to ask about Tramore's win. We didn't look like world beaters in winning the Junior last year so this does seem like a bit of a shock all right.

Advertisement