Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novavax and the lack of Vaccine Choice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

We absolutely got it right.

We're not even at the first water break in this long game, I wouldn't be popping open the champagne just yet. Nobody knows whether the vaccines given out will provide longevity of protection - there are already talks of booster shots being required and also Pfizer's being shown to wane quickly according to some initial studies. The Irish Govt/HSE rarely get "anything right" apart from lining the pockets of vested interests.

It's a tad eyebrow-raising that we are now only administering two of the most expensive vaccines on the market.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

the age limits have killed a lot of the enthusiasm for it, even though they think they can solve the CVST issues that were being seen.

For someone so quick to hail the tests, trials and expert opinion on the safety of vaccines, specifically the mRNA ones which you seem to have the horn for, you also seem quick to point to the absolutely tiny number of clotting issues in the J&J(and AZ). As a number of experts have noted the number was so small that if you were to look at the same number of people in the general population the numbers for clotting events wouldn't be far off the same. Yet at the same time you're happy to ignore the much higher percentage of immediate post dose side effects, some of which are pretty nasty in some people with the mRNA vectors.

You're also misreading the information above. While J&J might be more effective against Delta than Beta, that doesn't matter. Two doses of Pfizer is still more effective against Delta than one dose of J&J.

You're the one misreading the information FFF. I acknowledged and pointed out that as far as efficacy against mild and moderate covid, the J&J is indeed lesser than Pfizer, but the efficacy against severe illness and death is the same. Plus as I pointed out J&J was trialled and got results in populations that were already seeing the rise of variants. Something Pfizer didn't have. Nor did they have trial results as far as aymptomatic illness. The results for J&J as far as variants go is based on more study over a longer period of time. And as I also pointed out a recent study into half a million South African health workers in a population that's almost entirely Delta they showed no drop in efficacy. Yet the Israeli numbers for Pfizer which they used exclusively has them and now the CDC saying efficacy of protection drops after six months to 40% and Delta is the concern. Though thankfully still high in keeping deaths down, but not as high as before and more and more of the vaccinated are showing up in hospital, hence Israel being one of the first to get vaccines running strong, they're now one of the first to have to get boosters out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I am NOT anti-vax, I am questioning why there are not more choices available to someone aged 35-50. The AZ and J&J was blocked to our age group, albeit the AZ was available for a short period.

I couldn't understand that at all. OK initially roll them out to middle aged farts like me, but keep the options open. Though against that D a mate of mine's daughter got the J&J a few weeks ago and she's not 50, or if she is my friend was born in 1922. 😁

I would be confident that if you done a survey of the remaining 10% of adults unvaxxed you could bring more into the fold, possibly another 2% to 5% to the totals

I dunno about the numbers, but out on a job a couple of weeks ago the vaccine stuff came up in the office(first time it has actually) and there were two unvaccinated people who were specifically holding out for the J&J. I don't know if they got them. I got mine just over a fortnight ago and the lad in the pharmacy told me I was in the second last batch they had left and most of the other pharmacies were either long out of it or had a couple left. This is in Dublin mind you, it could be still available around the country if you ring up. Well a friend of mine in Kilkenny has an appointment for J&J in the morning so..

Now that I think of it, now I'm a newbie vaccinated with a vaccine that so far seems to retain more efficacy over time, I should be golden as far as boosters go for a goodly while yet. Well, unless some mad scientist in Cork comes up with an Epsilon variant in his shed that seeks out and kills Jackeens, then I'm boned. And I wouldn't put it past those langers either. 😄

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

@Wibbs - can you PM me with where in Kilkenny that is? Close to the Marble County myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The answers pretty simple, there wasn't the supply to allow choices, it was delivered publicly and NIAC drove the requirements and who could get which vaccine, the AV vaccines were being delivered to keep the rollout on track not to allow choice, Ireland stopped ordering them past June as all second shots were done and then most of the J&J allocation was used up, the NIAC advice is still only to use AZ/J&J if there are no other choices for those below 50. Novavax has been in rolling review since February and still isn't approved anywhere, apparently they hit manufacturing issues. (mRNA vaccine production while new and more complex was able to scale very rapidly and wasn't effected by yields as the AV vaccines were, where the "starters" failed quite often). Valneva is further away than Novavax.

If you wanted an AV vaccine, you missed the boat at the pharmacies, had a few people I know who got J&J that way in the younger cohorts.

I was a staunch defender of the AV vaccines and would have had 0 problems taking it myself as even though I'm in a younger cohort than yourself, the risk is still ridiculously low and lower than the already low risk of COVID for me. Most of the issues with AV can be levelled at AstraZeneca, sloppily run trials with the wrong age cohorts, not admitting to manufacturing issues till the last moment and then missing the CVST issue because of Brexit (really, the UK data wasn't being shared with the EU and while the clots were occurring, they weren't being scrutinised whereas they were found in the EU very quickly).

Similarly, J&J/Janssen has been awesome, trials well run, pulled the vaccine themselves when CVST issues occurred and then worked to find the cause, how to identify and how to treat the problem if it did occur, reducing the risk even further. However, it doesn't look like they'll be going further with AV vaccines.

On top of all that, you had South Africa rejecting it, various reports of bad efficacy (eventually proven not true) and then being wrongly seen as a second rate vaccine, it is very hard to recover from that in the medicines business.

I also think you're overplaying the side effects from mRNA, but probably won't change your mind there (the post vaccination data doesn't really show much difference between AV and mRNA). I also don't think a booster will really be needed for any vaccine till end of '22 unless you've got a weakened immune system (more likely with age) or you're being exposed to high viral loads (healthcare settings), that's for all the vaccines (the antibodies produced from the mRNA vaccines is ridiculously high, so the rapid waning is kind of expected, I'd expect it to level out as time goes on and match AV), J&J seem to have found a good dosing balance, less effective against mild to moderate symptoms, but just as effective against severe and death.

edit: forgot to mention, current vaccines will probably reduce transmission by 50-80% but will really depend on nasal delivery of the vaccine for sterilising immunity to occur and break transmission entirely, still, current vaccines should get R0 below 1 once the delta wave passes, then its just a waiting game.

• Advertisement

If you wanted an AV vaccine, you missed the boat at the pharmacies, had a few people I know who got J&J that way in the younger cohorts.

The HSE said NO to the 35-49 age cohort. Any pharmacy I rang in my own county would not give it to me.

the AV vaccines were being delivered to keep the rollout on track not to allow choice

Surely it was better to have J&J at least available to all - at a glance it seems they offered it to U35s just to get a pub/festival pass.

In that cohort myself, reason was that Pfizer was being offered so under NIAC guidelines that is all that was allowed, the younger groups had the option to "skip" the queue if they went via pharmacy and got J&J or AZ (and even then, most pharmacies were doing Pfizer anyway), the system isn't setup for choice and won't be until vaccines are bought and supplied privately. From NIAC perspective, the mRNA vaccines are suitable for all so no choice is needed, you can go and disagree with them, but they definitely have the expertise that you and I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

So first of all the thread has gone completely off-topic and the original question was about lack of choice of vaccines in Ireland.

I would suggest moderating the debate on this very specific quesion rather than letting it get too broad. It should not have anything to do with anti-vaccination debates.

I trust all vaccines the European medicine agency has officially approved because they have strong scientific evidence behind their approval which Biostatistics put together. I trust this agency because they are really good at what they do, I also read and understand how these clinical trials are ran.

But let's be clear no one can give 100% certainty these new vaccines are not going to cause some problems to people in years to come but even if it does occur it's highly likely to only affect a very small % of the people vaccinated. If you very risk-averse this could be an issue for you.

This is a pandemic which is an epidemic of an infectious disease that has spread across the world infecting and killing far more people than the official numbers state (212M & 5M deaths).

Let’s pretend for a second I walk into a restaurant passing 3 starving babies and a mother as I order everything on the menu because I want ‘choice’. I only end up eating 1 item in the menu and the kitchen throws the rest in the bin as it’s all cooked now and can’t be reused. I then walk out of the restaurant and give the mother some change out of my pocket to make me feel good and think I’m great looking after the poor.

My choice is just me being greedy and selfish with no regard for another person's misery. Approved vaccines are in short supply and every available dose is urgently needed to save millions from the direct and indirect consequences of this pandemic. While we are seeing light at the end of the COVID tunnel many others are nowhere need this phase yet and are simply dying as we speak.

I am 100% against Vaccine choice because it harms the worldwide rollout of vaccination which we all need to happen to get out of this pandemic. The WHO has made the same point in perhaps a more politically correct way.

Post edited by Kingkong on

If you're against vaccine choice, are you okay with this? https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/thousands-of-covid-vaccines-in-danger-of-going-to-waste-warn-pharmacists-40772250.html

You'd rather see vacancies binned?

Those vaccines will either go to other countries or expire and be wasted, there is no great answer there, but the alternate would be a free for all mess which would probably lead to greater wastage. The government's don't want choice to come into this as it slows down the rollout and there is just not many people in your position wanting anything other than mRNA for it to make a meaningful difference. Even now, with steady supply, we're still using up all that we get.

I'm also just checking, based on the thread title and OP, you know Novavax is many months away? and we'll either be living free or locked down by a more dangerous variant by then? The time to vaccinate is now, exposure risk will go up exponentially as the country opens up fully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Thanks for the the reply Wibbs

In “ we backed the wrong horse 🐎 “

I meant the technology and the target system, not the current vaccine competition.

I meant we backed mrna new tech and it only targeting the spike protein, not the whole virus as we traditionally done with whole inactivated viruses.

It seems now that the specific nature of targeting of the spike only was flawed and nature found a way

We picked the quickest solution with rna and we will now need better vaccines

Fast, cheap, effective

Pick one as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Again, if we had chosen to wait for J&J or Novavax, we would still be in total lockdown. Would you be happy with that? I would like an answer please.

If we have to change course next year and re-vaccinate everyone with Novavax or Valneva, then we cross that bridge when we come to it.

Whatever you think about the HSE and the government, the vaccine rollout has been an enormous success.

As for "lining the pockets of vested interests" - how on earth is giving money to J&J and Novavax any different to giving money to Pfizer and Moderna??!

Novavax is also targeting the spike protein, the Sinovac/pharm vaccines use whole deactivated virus as you talk about above, but effectiveness and efficacy is lower than the mRNA vaccines. With mRNA (and potentially AdenoVector) the vaccines can be updated very quickly to target new proteins (weeks rather than months/years to get to production), Pfizer and Moderna are already trialing updated proteins but updates haven't been deemed necessary yet as the spike protein hasn't mutated much in any of the variants (and they can target multiple variants at once in the future if they wish to).

Novavax are working on a combined flu/COVID jab that may handle the annual booster requirement.

It's very hard to know right now if the pace of development and "choices" will remain post pandemic, vaccines are generally low margin high volume business that hasn't been interesting for pharma companies, for most other vaccines there isn't any choices at all (and really, you just need 1 to work and then mass produce it as has happened with Pfizer/Moderna, most of the reason for having multiple vaccines at all was due to hedging bets and a lot of vaccines have already failed their phase 1/2/3 trials and will never see the light of day).

You'd swear I was insisting the Govt only give out J&J or Novavax, that is not my position. I'm happy for everyone who got a vaccine thus far, as I'm sure the majority themselves are too. There are going to be folks who are concerned about the new mRNA vaccines and would prefer not to have to take them. The HSE specifically blocked J&J from the 35-49 age group - I've yet to see a reason for this.

I'm not denying the vaccine rollout has finally become a success, apart a bumpy start and a strange policy of blocking J&J from 35-49yo folk it has been overall a good rollout.

As for lining the pockets, the Pfizer and Moderna are amongst the dearest vaccines on the market, so yes our taxpayer funds are lining the profits of these companies. AZ was one of the most cost-effective vaccine out there and we've stopped getting it now. Is it not okay to question the financial cost of all this too?

There seems to be a certain cohort on here hell bent on shutting down any debate around the vaccine programme.

J&J vaccine was not advised for the over 40s due to the (very low) risk of blood clots. This was very well publicised at the time and it's on the HSE website;

Janssen COVID-19 vaccine

So it's a less effective vaccine that has more adverse effects.

The durability of immunity remains to be seen but in terms of a way out of lockdowns in 2021, Pfizer was the only game in town.

As for AZ, I'm not being a dick, but are you serious? Do you honestly not remember the rows about supply in February, March and April? They delivered a tiny fraction of what they were supposed to. Maybe they were the cheapest vaccine per dose but they were absolutely not cost-effective.

AZ got €300M from the EU that doesn't seem to have been used that effectively, vs. the cost of Pfizer (the initial contracts are about $8-12 per dose which is similar to Janssen). Moderna was $18 for the first orders.

Future orders will be about $30-40 (as the EU is not funding the research and manufacturing directly, it's probably about the same all up). All countries have spent as much on failed vaccines, cost really isn't an issue here other than a number on a sheet. It might be in the future, but isn't at the moment. The EU will still be funding future R&D, but countries will likely have to start negotiating their own vaccine access going forward.

Even if the cost was $50 per dose and it was needed for all population every 6 months, its still far far cheaper than the cost of keeping the economies in lockdown.

Good lord you have a remarkable and puzzling knack for twisting or more likely simply not comprehending the basic facts. Or you've decided on an idea and by god you're not going to let go.

J&J vaccine was not advised for the over 40s due to the (very low) risk of blood clots. This was very well publicised at the time and it's on the HSE website;

Eh... if J&J wasn't advised for the over 40's how come it was the main vaccine promoted through the pharmacies for the over 50's? The risk of blood clots was in younger people, the majority of cases were in young women. Even so and again through the pharmacy roll out they were latterly offered to the young. A friends 19 year old daughter recently got the J&J through her local pharmacy. Here's a mad thought for you; maybe read the links you so confidently post?

Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna are the recommended vaccines for people under the age of 50. This is because of the very rare risk of unusual blood clots with low platelets in people under 50 who get the AstraZeneca or Janssen vaccines.

It's right there in black and white and plain english.

So it's a less effective vaccine that has more adverse effects.

This has been pointed out to you more than once and again shows your unwillingness to actually read. J&J was less efficacious in preventing mild and moderate illness, but was just as efficacious in preventing hospitalisations and deaths and of the current crop of vaccines it has one of the lowest reported adverse effects. Never mind that because it's a one and done any sides are also one and done. Check out the side effect thread here, vanishingly few J&J reporting of them. I've seen this among the people I know. Every single one of the mRNA recipients had some side effects, mostly mild if irritating for a few days, some a lot less mild and two who are still complaining of pretty bad sides. Of the J&J only one person I know noticed a bit of a fever 48 hours in. It also has more research behind it as far as the variants go and showed the same efficacy in preventing deaths and serious illness. Just last week a trial in South Africa where Delta is endemic across half a million health workers showed strong protection even after months in use. Whereas in Israel they're already rolling out boosters for those who were previously vaccinated with Pfizer.

Eh, I think that was a typo and FFF meant over not under.

(I would also note that the antibody count for those who got Pfizer and Moderna in absolute terms is still higher than it is for AZ at the same point along the graph, just that the % dropped faster, I haven't seen the numbers for J&J, but would expect them to be similar to AZ but starting at a slightly lower base).

I do remember the AZ supply issues, these issues only seemed to affect the EU-wide contract whereas other countries (including EU countries) who ordered AZ directly got theirs. The EU got peeved off and wanted to block ships leaving Italy I recall.

I've read J&J risk and happy to take that risk myself. Found a pharmacy willing to give me J&J so wish me luck as off I go.

All EU countries were supplied by the same contract with AZ so there was no skipping the queue, there was a bit of shenanigan's with the UK having it's own manufacturing but only having 1 plant supplying and most of their supply coming from Halix in NL (which AZ wouldn't put forward to the EU for approval), and then the UK shipping in doses from India. I believe AZ is still massively behind on the supply contract, but most of it is going to COVAX now (via the EU contract).

edit: good luck with the vaccine!

• Advertisement

Ummm, J&J was not recommended for people between the ages of 40 and 49. Such people would indeed be over 40, would they not? I was responding to the question about why J&J was not available for the 35-49 group. By the time the J&J vaccine was rolled out to pharmacies, every over-50 in the country had been offered an AZ or mRNA vaccine through the HSE. I never said anything about young people so I've no idea why you think you've scored a point with the reference to the 19-year old.

I'm assuming a basic flow to the discussion, not that I need to start from zero with every post.

As for your repeated references to the efficacy of J&J in South Africa. I don't know how to counter your arguments because I haven't seen any results published yet (only media reporting of same), if you have a link please send it on, I would genuinely be interested.

However, your assertion that J&J has fewer side effects than mRNA vaccines based on the 'side effects' thread on boards.ie is a bit unreliable, because we have given out 22 times as many mRNA shots as J&J. However, I do know that in Ireland, we felt strongly enough about J&J to restrict its use, in the USA the FDA paused its use and now have a specific warning about clotting for women under-50s. So, there's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

@Wibbs , I'd appreciate if you could PM me the name of that pharmacy too, in the same age bracket & have been denied the Janssen vaccine, no interest in getting an mRNA jab.

"Those vaccines will either go to other countries or expire and be wasted, there is no great answer there, but the alternate would be a free for all mess which would probably lead to greater wastage...

...Even now, with steady supply, we're still using up all that we get."

Other than you completely contradicting yourself in the same post, we already have an alternate, using the same system used to roll out vaccination for younger people through the pharmacies, which the pharmacies have been calling for. I don't see how you can be so dogmatically pro vaccine & so flippant about vaccines being potentially wasted when there is a group of people in the country that want that specific vaccine.

Because with the NIAC guidance, they can't continue to use AZ/J&J on the younger cohorts, AZ is almost completely off the table as there is no guarantee of second dose supply, J&J is probably still viable as it's 1 shot only and they don't need to worry about repeats.

And when I say steady supply, I mean of Pfizer and Moderna, AZ/J&J supply is still way behind schedule with Australia another country who've been hit by over promise and under delivery most recently:

Australian production of AstraZeneca vaccine in early July just one-tenth of what government promised | Health | The Guardian

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

lol, thanks for the article is proves my point even further. This so called choice and over buying of vaccines are being binned likely. The cause is greed and pure self interest. Their is little wrong with those vaccines and would have many people from death. If Wibbs and Danno had your way the irish government would be buying more vaccines it doesn’t need. Novavak etc… get real and look at the global picture.

We need high global vaccination rates and we not going get their following our own self interested ways. We’re not Americans :)

You're missing the point - why ban 35-49 year olds from J&J and AZ then whine about them ending up in the bin.

A simple modern online portal of booking a vaccine would cut out much of the waste, instead we got a cattle mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It is an example of yet another group thinking they know how to run a programme better than the HSE. One would assume that the HSE have plans for them. Even if it is the bin and that's not at all ideal, there are limited options to use those vaccines because we have all but finished assigning vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,513 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Too many forget this was a MASS vaccination program. Some going on here are like teachers unions last April when they wanted to jump the que.

If you join the army you wear the boots. If you want to get back to a fairly normal life then get vaccinated ( unless there is a medical reason you cannot get vaccinated) if not then prepare to be excluded from.certain events

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement