Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move to Eir fibre

Options
  • 22-08-2021 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭

Hi

this is an ask for the parents.

they currently on some really old phone and internet package. 10 year old modem and slow speed etc.

They have 3 physical phones in the house. From recollection, I think each have their own dedicated RJ11 sockets installed on the wall.

What I would like to do is get them on to fibre broadband ( they are eligible)

if I was to do this, how would this affect the current 3 x RJ11 phone sockets in the house - would they be null and void?

Post edited by obi604 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Are they currently with EIR too?

Friend of mine had a landline with EIR , signed for 1000 Mbps package, so he got brand new fiber line installed into the house., bottom line , he has 2 line now ( copper &fiber ) no extra charge for this.

Not sure if Eir still doing this though.

I think if he move provider in the future he'll loose copper line .

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Yep. They keep the copper line. I've the 1000Mbps package from them. Had to take home phone option as part of it. Thought it would be through the fibre connection but it's through the copper line instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭obi604

They are currently with Ifa telecom.

so ye reckon so the copper line will be left as is, meaning it won’t affect the existing physical phone/sockets in house.

I thought if moving to the new setup that the main phone would have to be plugged in to the new broadband modem (in ‘tel 1’ port etc)

Post edited by obi604 on

Nope , only if they were with Eir initially( then you could use both options for the phone : router rj11 socket or copper socket ), if they moving from Ifa telecom copper line won’t be live anymore AFAIK

I think way back when on day one, the copper lines were installed by eir. if this is the case, will I regain the 3 existing sockets?

they are currently with ifa telecom and hope to stay with ifa

Post edited by obi604 on

• Advertisement

I am pretty sure to keep copper line your current phone provider must be EIR, not IFA .

EIR only keeping copper for their own customers if they upgrading to Fibre.

You could call EIR and ask of course, I won't trust their sales rep though.

set of the DECT phones should fix this issue for you anyway.

You could call electrician of course, he modify existing wiring and sockets to use with new fiber modem as phone extension. DECT phones probably would be the cheaper option though.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Just remember that any DECT phones or VOIP phones will need mains power. The existing phones running on the copper lines are powered from the local Eir exchange. Also, if you have a burglar alarm, or if your parents have a medi-alert alarm that depend on the landline, the VOIP comms will fail if the power goes, even though the units have battery backup in them. Your parents may void their home insurance, if they are getting a discount for having a monitored alarm. The solution is to either move the alarms to mobile comms, or install a small UPS to provide backup power for the items essential for comms (ONT, Router, DECT phones etc). It is well worth doing this in rural areas, in any case, as power outages are common, and it also provides a greater degree of lightning protection for the sensitive comms devices. A small UPS will only cost around €100.

Thanks for all the feedback.

So sounds like a move to fibre brodband will have knock on affects to how the phones operate right now, its not just a matter of a simple change.

Fair enough - will have to propose this and see, elderly people HATE change, especially my crew. This could cause them sleepless nights :) Why they don't just ditch the landline is beyond me

Advertisement