Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What places have closed during the pandemic?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

miamee wrote: »
    I'm almost sure that had closed before the pandemic. The only surprise is that it lasted as long as it did there, never looked busy.

And you weren’t allowed to take pictures in there (the Hat Stall). I always remember that sign and wondering… why?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

bbuzz wrote: »
    Before it was a Spar I’m almost certain the old Burtons was a Philips electrical shop.

Yes the corner unit where you enter Spar now was Philips. I remember that being the meeting point for a date one night in about 2006 :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

And you weren’t allowed to take pictures in there (the Hat Stall). I always remember that sign and wondering… why?

To stop people using it for props for pics maybe? Come in, try on hats, take pics, leave empty handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ongarboy wrote: »
    PS, I completely forgot about the carpet shop opposite (now Spar). I remember there was always a carpet tapestry of Mary Robinson in the window for years

I remember that. It was a horrible looking thing, who on earth would have bought it!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I remember that. It was a horrible looking thing, who on earth would have bought it!

Mary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I remember a note beside the painting stating that it wasn't for sale. It wasn't a particularly nice painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

pauliebdub wrote: »
    I remember a note beside the painting stating that it wasn't for sale. It wasn't a particularly nice painting.

It wasn't a painting at all!

It was a tapestry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Here it is. You're right it's hand woven

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

2 places in Grand Canal looking very abandoned and unlikely to open again. Herb St and HQ, I believe other ELY in the IFSC isn't looking great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

aquinn wrote: »
    2 places in Grand Canal looking very abandoned and unlikely to open again. Herb St and HQ, I believe other ELY in the IFSC isn't looking great either.

I believe Wetherspoons were due to open up in the HQ building pre-Covid, but not sure if that's been shelved now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

HQ (and Nutbutter behind it) were acquired by Wetherspoons and will eventually be converted to one of their barns.

Ely had been out of involvement in HQ for years; but yes the IFSC one hasn't reopened yet. Its outdoor area looks like it may have been taken over for Urban Brewing to use but I'm not sure - they've only Maynooth open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

aquinn wrote: »

I've just walked by Herb Street. It's open and looks to be doing good business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Wetherspoons would be a welcome addition. Will get more people into the area and be good competition, despite what your thoughts are on the establishment itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

pauliebdub wrote: »
    Here it is. You're right it's hand woven

The eyes are completely out of line with the rest of the face!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I've just walked by Herb Street. It's open and looks to be doing good business.

Good news. It was very closed last night so maybe lunch only?

I was in town for a very short while yesterday evening. Looks like Busyfeet and Coco on Sth William Street is gone and now replaced with something called Brew42. The party shop on Sth King Street next to the Gaiety is also gone, sign gone, windows covered with ads for the spa upstairs and a To Let sign on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The party shop on Sth King Street next to the Gaiety is also gone, sign gone, windows covered with ads for the spa upstairs and a To Let sign on the front.

The party shop on Abbey Street is gone too, we'll all have to plan more carefully for our fancy dress and party supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

I was in town for a very short while yesterday evening. Looks like Busyfeet and Coco on Sth William Street is gone and now replaced with something called Brew42. The party shop on Sth King Street next to the Gaiety is also gone, sign gone, windows covered with ads for the spa upstairs and a To Let sign on the front.

Pretty sure the party shop is going online and there will possibly a click and collect or similar service available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Definitely gone, has reopened as a Japanese/Thai restaurant.

Pity, was one of the few places left in the area you could get a decent fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Perhaps I've missed it already in this thread, but has the M&S Food place in Heuston Station closed permanently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

The Dragon Buffet, a pretty good Chinese all you can eat on Abbey St, looks derelict from what I can tell. Shame that, used to go quite regularly for a bit of soakage before a night on the lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I heard Matt The Rashers on sundrive has closed. Can anyone confirm? Always mentioned on boards as one of the best breakfasts in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its been up for rent as non-trading (but to get the fittings/name etc to reopen) for months.

Hill 16 pub - building is up for sale with the pub empty.

Hynes pub in Stoneybatter which looked like it was a goner is reopening on Friday under new operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Yep, it only closed in the past few weeks, it was up for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Owners retired. Probably be snapped up quick enough.

The Wine shop in Rathgar. Rathgar is decidedky looking a bit ragged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Which one? Do you mean Comans pub, which had a wine shop briefly in the corner, which is closed around 4 years and really drags down the look of th junction?

Hardly O'Briens and the Vintry is still standing and seems to be doing ok, with low overheads as i suspect they own the building.

Now, one butcher is gone recently (Donovans, probably a retirement) and the other one looks as bad as ever.

The Organic Store has closed a good while, Howard's Way opposite is also gone, the Gourmet store owner passed away but it is being renovated, the travel agent is now an estate agent, and Lloyds Chemist is closed.

Advertisement