Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam McCarthy Cup) 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Anti Hurling?

Harsh in the extreme some of the best team scores all season have come from this Limerick team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'd love to see Jackie Tyrell manage someone!

Monday morning quarterback

Limerick might technically be a minnow in terms of titles, but there has always been loads of players in Limerick but until recently, there wasn't that many very, very good players. In terms of senior titles, Limerick and Galway are both massive underachievers relative to their playing base.

Your analysis has failed to account for what happens when you take a county with a large player base and couple it with an academy.

The next question for Limerick needs to be can they stave off returning to their years of underachieving, and can they now add enough titles for smart punters like you to no longer class them as "minnows".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Did you see any of the wonderful mix of short stick passing and long diagnol balls played by Limerick today???

Anti hurling... absolute nonsense of a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

What a mighty team Limerick are. Cian Lynch and Tony Kelly are my favourite players at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Not denigrating them, they beat what was in front of them. I don’t think that necessarily means they’re the second best team in the game.

• Advertisement

Someone saying anti hurling? Jaysus I've not seen a better definition of hurling than Limerick.

Maybe Tipp 2019 but I can't remember many

Poor Morrissey's couldn't even get through a chat without a reference to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Lads long enough Limerick were in the wilderness. We were always second fiddle to Cork. I will enjoy these few years. Would love to see Pat Horgan get rewarded , but not at our expense. I’m surprised that the sponsorship thing is coming up , it was never an issue with the great Kilkenny team. Cork looked very nervous there today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Five Eighth

Poster continues with characteristically incisive posts which highlight his/her indepth knowledge of the game of hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

People have questioned my term of anti-hurling. The game was won on size and presence. Limerick are like KK on acid, took their dogmatic and physical approach to the extreme.

But it's all about physics, not skill. Hopefully Cork realise this and don't revert to type like all counties since KKs dominance, beat the opposition playing hurling, , not the approach all counties have took since KKs success

Cork have the talent coming through in abundance, this was only the first hurdle in a great rivalry where Cork will ultimately outdo Limerick imo. Hurling will win out eventually, and as I said, all neutrals should be behind Cork, the last county of real hurlers

• Advertisement

Do you mean it's NOT all about physics!?

Either way I completely disagree. This Limerick team exude far more skill than any Kilkenny side ever did.

And do you really believe the Tipp sides won the all Ireland on two occasions solely on physicality?

Stop chatting shoite is basically what I'm saying.

Enjoy. Lived in Limerick for a short while. A passionate hurling county.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Five Eighth

'The game was won on size and presence.' When one considers the skill levels exhibited by Lynch, Casey, Finn, Morrissey, Hannon, Hayes, etc.; that statement certainly adds to the poster's canon of illuminating analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

How many wides did Limerick hit in the first half?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Some display by Limerick today, they really were awesome. Cork just couldn't get any grip on the game today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

It's a pretty damning indictment of cork hurling that not a single one of their players would get on that Limerick team. Come to think of it, they wouldn't even get anywhere close. 'Might' get 2 or 3 onto the subs bench.

Until they abandon this lightweight, tippy-tappy style of hurling, then they're going nowhere. That style plays grand at the start of the year when they can play around teams that are still getting up to speed and are not near peak.

But when it gets to crunch time (in Croker) it always gets found out in the white-heat intensity that you get at the climax of the season. What's that they say about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results being the definition of insanity. The only thing different this year was that they came up against a poor Kilkenny team that hit a rake of wides.

Tipp and Kilkenny over the last decade were also built to handle that intensity. This cork team would have been walloped by those teams as well.

I'd be willing to bet a sizeable amount of money that all of those players that played in midfield and forwards for Cork today will never win a Celtic cross.

It's not a training session. Limerick aren't obliged to stand back and watch Cork pass the ball around with no pressure.

Limerick imposed themselves and executed their scores with supreme skill. A good big one is better than a good small one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Blather. Is passing it rather aimlessly around at the back (and getting turned over) real hurling? Let us know when Cork change tack and revert to 'real' hurling and we'll watch out for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

There is definitely a big problem with fouling in modern hurling.

A good article here by Martin Fogarty on how systemic fouling is taken for granted nowadays.

Whats odd is that he was Codys right hand man for years, the man who introduced "Playing on the Edge", so its a bit rich coming from him.

The game needs to be cleaned up.

Could you imagine ignoring the skills of these Limerick players and thinking it's all just physicality!?

I'm watching the Sunday game an hour delayed! But Shane Dowling's religious comment about Cian Lynch.. wut!?

This tippy tappy, lightweight style of hurling, lost today, doesn't mean it will in the future with players coming through to execute it better.

Don't know how anyone can be happy with today's result. An exercise in size and physicality, nothing more, nothing less

Exactly, dogmatic hurling has ruined the game imo. It's now who out does who physically. KK started this approach

Spiritual young man, goes to mass. But yeah sounded out of context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

You're hurting... and embarrassing yourself. Was that not tippy tappy hurling executed as it should be today? Honestly the more you talk the more you show yourself up. I presume you're also the lad who mentioned Cork had the natural hurlers to Limericks manufactured ones.... please...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭King Power Fox

All I can say now is YES. Let there be no mistake with salty posters - Limerick have fantastic skillful hurlers. Corkness is totally overrated - blown away by the new order today.

Most of us have disclosed our counties. You say you're not from Cork but love their hurling. Where are you from?

Louth. Relevance is? Didn't know it was a requirement!

Great. Just curious.

I'm a big fan of Cork hurling. But they are young and were nervous today. Their pickups were slow, touch poor. If you can't see Limerick's skill level you don't get it. The game will never be played by 10st wisps of lads anymore. The 15stone man, who has equal skill, will win everytime. Would you like hurling to be divided into weight divisions, like boxing?!

They were young and nervous, won't always be. With a higher calibre of player, they can win and succeed, playing as they do. Hope they don't think they can't

If Cork hurling reverts to type, with how others play, that's me done with the game imo. Nothing more than a dogmatic physical size fest.

But they won't or never will, was there and seen many of their teams train. They've a certain culture in how they play and will never change, how they approach the game.

Last county standing imo, with that approach. They play the right way and it will pay dividends with the players they have coming through

You're very much on our own with this one. If an average 16 year old is playing on a an average 12 year old he'll win most of the ball.

Teams were always going to try and be fitter and stronger. Limerick have the skill with it. As i said earlier, you have two very skilful players. One is 15st and the other is 12st, you cannot ignore that. All other things being equal, the stronger player wins out.

As another poster pointed out, and Cork posters acknowledge, trying to tap pass their way out of defence all the time is far from traditional Cork hurling.

Posts your making are ridiculous when all the most skillfull players today were Limerick players. Cian Lynch, absolute genius. Peter Casey, sublime until substituted, The full back line and how they cleaned up ball etc. Kilkenny got the same rubbish in the 2000s.

The standard is being upped all the time. Now it's no longer good enough to be able to play hurling. You have to be strong enough to show you can play hurling and win possession. Limerick can win possession and also hurl. You have an imaginary hurling utopia, that doesn't exist, in your mind. And Cork people agree. Most Cork posters are calling you out, saying the team that hurled far better won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

Great win. It's all a dream really. I remember when we couldn't even win a game in Munster and the U21s three in a row that never brought any senior success. Going to games with only some hope of winning. I've followed these lads through from u21s and they play the same now as they did then if not better. We'll enjoy this for a while. We would have to win another 20 to 30 all irelands in a row to be alongside cork, tipp and KK. But I think it's forming a good basis for Limerick hurling to always be competitive in the future through a well managed system. I will say this group is unique and I hope we make the most of them

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Congratulations to Limerick from a Kilkenny man. Enjoy the victory. I would love to know what dogmatic hurling ( that Kilkenny introduced allegedly! ) is meant to be. And also hurling has always been physical and there is no requirement on any team to stand back and let the other team play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can we also show limerick the respect they deserve too.

Theg are now in double digits in All Irelands easily fourth most successful and now won more then they have lost in finals.

Always been a decent Hurking county.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

You didnt have to look too hard to see that there was thousands of fans in extremely close proximity throughout the game and basically on top of each other.

The rules around covid are laughable really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

With all due respect, your way off the mark. Cian Lynch was the finest stickman on the pitch yesterday. It wasn’t Limerick men who were taking two and sometimes three attempts to rise a ball. Limerick are physical, but they back it up with a superb brand of hurling. They don’t waste ball, and you can’t win a game without it. Cork were out hurled yesterday as well as being out fought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

It's a ridiculous comment. Some of the interplay and passing among the forwards is better than most that I've seen. Forwards looking for assists as often as scores. Flanagan's pass to Mulcahy, lynch gave a 5 yard stick pass to Casey in the first half taking a defender out of the game, even Gillane's goal was based on them noticing that they were 2 on 2. Same for lynch to Hegarty.

Usually it's the skill of smaller skilful lads but this is done by huge well condition men. It's like you need the ferocity of Waterford's first 20 mins, the skill of Tipperary's first half and the pure speed of cork together to beat them.

I don't think cork being young or fast is any consolation. Whatever age they were, they were going to be outclassed yesterday, especially with the most inept tactics I've seen in an all-ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Just 5 (all from play). Had one shot too then that went out for a 65 (I think Gillane goal effort). Was some performance.

Shot figures in 2nd image here (tired to link Twitter post too) in middle. Funnily enough, from total shot efforts, Cork had a higher scoring efficiency although they had taken only 13 shots from play in the first half (and 16 in total in the first half)

https://twitter.com/nichesportsdata/status/1429469281838850050?s=21

Cork hurling is stuck in a strange place. For years now they’ve had loads of backs who were good at the tippy tippy stuff but very few stoppers. Their forwards are mostly of a type too, don’t produce Bonner Maher types.

They don’t seem to see it as a problem, but they are 16 years without an All Ireland.

I don’t think today was a one off, Limerick are that much ahead of Cork. They’re way ahead of every other county too and will win the All Ireland again next year if they stay focused, the gap is too big to bridge in a year for any of the other teams. Galway might have had a chance if they still had Joe.

Three years ago Clare, with 14 men, hammered Limerick in Ennis. Amazing how they’ve since morphed into one of the all time great teams.

• Advertisement

I’d agree they were going to be outclassed anyway, but how were the tactics inept? Is there really a way they could have stayed competitive with Limerick given the gap in ability?

Don't get some posters new found respect for Cork. A bunch of very average players who were lucky to be drawn on the much weaker side of the draw and twice were a puck of the ball away from going out. Two best Cork players yesterday were veterans. The rest bar one or two despite being young are bang average. Can't see them getting out of munster next year as they are still behind limerick, tipp and Waterford and about level with clare in my book. They may be strong in a few years time but no guarantee of that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agreed. And at that too, this isn’t the management team to bring them forward I think (fwiw I wouldn’t know who would be the right team to).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

The amount of space that Flanagan had to run in front of him and lay off was criminal. The half backs being absent (or using Mark Coleman as sweeper) is about 5-6 years out of date and something completely different was needed to concern Limerick. Any all-ireland finalists shouldn't allow quarter of a pitch (and one defender) to cover Cian Lynch and Gearoid Hegarty - as was the case for the third goal. Limerick won having fluted around for the second half.

I don't think there was a way that they could be competitive yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

13 tackle attempts on an opponent who scored 3-18 in that period seems appalling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement