Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

We have twice the EU average case rate, which is growing, and a health service without spare capacity.

It isn't rocket science, relax restrictions when the trend is down, not when it is going up.

It is indeed like a different planet in England. I've seen many posters, most of whom live abroad, I imagine, writing about how they dread coming to Ireland, and I agree with them. Ireland is obsessed with covid. It is especially obsessed with masks. But at some point people will just have to accept that the majority want to live the way people are living in Ireland. The majority of posters in the mask thread, for example. which I believe to be representative of the population at large, appear to adore masks. Not just support wearing them. So why shouldn't they be permanent (which I have long believed they will be and Professor Nolan pretty much confirmed would be on Newstalk)? The minority who don't wish to live in Ireland will be able to emigrate.

But if you thought Liverpool was good you should try Sweden. It's amazing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Maybe it shows that our method of no antigen tests and vaccine passes does not work?

If antigen tests were used as the requirement for indoor hospitality and gigs etc - it would catch far more cases and break chains of transmission, limiting spread of the virus. Instead we have a free for all if you're vaccinated, despite vaccinated people still spreading the virus. No wonder our numbers are so high.

And to cap it all off we have people such as yourself defending the most pathetic pandemic response going - 90% of adults have at least 1 dose, and yet we are still more restrictive and have higher cases than most EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The UK has opened up, I think we have passed them out on % vaccinated, unfortunately I am starting to think that we are delaying the inevitable, some people are going to get, alot aren't, we need to keep opening up, leave people get a natural immunity or it will be a very long winter.

I am not defending the lack of antigen tests at all. I think they should be introduced where appropriate. The vaccine passes are a sensible measure and many European countries introduced them after we did, the only question is why they are not used for entry to sports events and why places like universities will not use them when pubs do. Vaccinated people can spread the virus if they get it, but it is clear that they are much less likely to get it and the hospitalisation rate is much higher for unvaccinated people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Actually the most recent data shows the protection against infection (even asymptomatic) is very low for vaccinated people - there is very little reduction in catching & transmitting covid. hence why some universities have started testing vaccinated people also, and CDC now recommends masks for the vaccinated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@Klonker wrote:

Do these people really need to be vaccinated? Would the vaccines not be better off on some third world country?

That's dependent really on the prevalence of the infection in a given society. In a country with low prevalence, then deferring the under-18s might be a good idea. Where viral spread is high, it is better to get wider coverage and thus vaccinating the 12-18 age group may be prudent.

The more people are infected, the more breakthrough infections there are, the more vulnerable people will catch it and require hospitalisation. With a disease that is this infectious therefore, you need vaccination to drive down the number of infections in the general population. Vaccination is not just about protecting the individual, it's about protecting all society by limiting the spread of the infection.

Even if the risk to under-18s was practically zero, there is a strong argument for vaccinating them to reduce viral spread.

This is not a new thing; we vaccinate against many diseases which pose little risk to children, but have higher risks to vulnerable adults (and children). Rubella is the perfect example. Rubella poses practically no risk to healthy children and adults. It does however pose a risk to some children with a rare immune disorder, and to pregnant women.

So we vaccinate all children against a very mild disease in order to protect others, not to protect the children.

There is no doubt that providing the covid vaccine to the 12+ age group is essential for us now to stay on top of this. It is clearly demonstrated in the case numbers that this age group are contracting it in high volumes, and therefore vaccinating them is necessary for the protection of vulnerable people.

The evidence is less compelling for the under-12 group. Not only is the risk of the virus considerably less for them, but in Ireland they contract the virus at least 50% less than the next oldest age group. This lines up with the international data. This means the law of diminishing returns applies. It might be discussed at some future date, but for now driving vaccination as deep into the 12+ group as possible is what will yield the best outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

And how is our hospitalisation and ICU rates compared to EU average. We've around 300 covid cases in hospital from a total capacity of about 11,000 which is about 2.5% of the beds being used for Covid patients. And that includes covid patients who have covid and have absolutely no symptoms so they'd be in hospital anyway of they had covid or not.

The big forgotten about issue which helps explain how we have amoung the highest covid incidence rate while also having highest vaccine uptake is antigen testing, the neglect of which is criminal. It worked out fine but was shortsighted when the choice was do something relatively safely with an antigen or not do at all, now people are doing stuff anyway so it's now a choice between doing relatively safely with antigen test or just do anyway regardless. This was always coming as we continued to open up but continues to be ignored by the media.

And what about the thhe elderly in other countries who can't get access to vaccines. Do you not think it's morally wrong for Western countries to vaccine under 18s with no underlying issues when there's other countries crying out for vaccines? There's an infinite supply of vaccines, the 'we'll do both' in terms of vaccinating under 18s/boosters and donating simultaneously response from Western governments doesn't wash.

Those vaccines youre comparing the covid vaccine to for child vaccination like rubella are life long vaccines. For covid our current guess is yearly or at best every 2 year vaccinations, not really comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Coveney made a fool of himself comparing the good mask wearing, social distancing, don’t piss all over the city gaa folk to gig goers

• Advertisement

The intent is the same; protection of society. We vaccinate children specifically against rubella not because it provides lifelong protection, but because they are the age group most likely to come into contact with pregnant women.

The moral argument has been around for a while, but to be honest it hasn't stacked up that much. It makes sense to concentrate the use of vaccines in the countries worst affected, not the ones most exposed. It just so happens that wealthy countries have in the main been the worst affected, and poorer countries less affected, with a few notable exception.

Our current level of infection is amongst the worst on the planet, therefore I see no moral issue with us using the vaccine to try and keep on top of it.

Coupled with the amount of money we are putting into COVAX, I am pretty happy that ethically we have our bases covered. When a fire is raging, but you've got it contained, you don't turn off the hoses and send your firefighters off to another blaze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

We are well past the point of curtain twitching and pointing fingers . Yet a lot of people are still at it . It's draining .

As long as we give a little money to Covax we can hoover up all the vaccines we want and have guilt free consciences. Straight out of the Western leaders handbook. Why are WHO continously asking countries not to vaccinate under 18s and not to give boosters? Do you honestly believe the covid situation is worse in Ireland than in parts of Africa and Asia who are struggling for vaccines just because we are reporting more cases? Pull the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

I have a feeling that somethings not right with the expectations of the Vaccines if so many people feel the need to get tested on a daily basis and nearly all of the Adult population vaccinated.

Vaccines are supposed to stop a large majority from even getting sick , not just hospitalisations.

Somethings not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

Long time lurker here and have followed this thread for a long time.

I could never understand this at all! Isn`t something better than nothing? Everybody (both sides of the debate) is burnt from all of this at this stage. I lost faith in NPHET after last October (Holohans return). The complete reticence to use Antigen testing in some format sealed it with me! There seems to be only a singular strategy of lockdowns, negativity and fear propagated by MSM with some MSM only questioning this now.

Anyhow the government should have have made the decisions here instead of hiding behind NPHET. I do not trust the HSE or NPHET as they spin better than a washing machine!

Frontline staff do not come into it as they are doing their jobs under difficult conditions (over many years outside Covid as well!). This is turning into NPHET/HSE having a golden opportunity of pressuring the government using restrictions on everything else in society to cover for their failings!

I wrote to politicians months ago about all this a total waste of time not that I was expecting anything different!

80-90% Population vaccinated how can Ireland be so fearful, negative and restricted with kites flying about restrictions again in 2022!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

I think it's a really great plan to do exactly what was done in 2020, and ignore the seasonality of respiratory viruses, keep us locked down during summer months and then open things up just in time for uncontrollable rates of infection in winter. V good. The criticisms in Irish media of the UK's openings up are going to look very silly now in winter I believe.

@Klonker wrote:

Why are WHO continously asking countries not to vaccinate under 18s and not to give boosters?

Because the WHO have a global focus. At the moment, they aren't actually recommending against giving it under-18s. Their overall recommendation is that under-18s are less urgent, and vaccination should focus on health care workers and at-risk cohorts rather than less risky ones. At an international level this means, "Consider whether it is necessary to give it to under-18s in your country" rather than "don't" - for the reasons I mention above.

The last comment I can find in relation to this was made by Dr Ryan at a charity event in February. A lot has changed since then.

The recommendation against boosters, is a separate issue, not least because there is no proof that boosters provide a significant enough change in protection to make a difference. Hence Dr. Ryan's comment about "giving a second lifejacket to someone". Giving boosters is therefore, based on current evidence, effectively pouring vaccines down the drain when other countries are in need of them.

It is an entirely separate issue to vaccinating young people in order to suppress high rates of infection in the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Whom do you trust, as a matter of interest?

Also, more importantly - has anyone figured out how to quote only part of a post?

I think you are going to have to show us this data.

But we don't need these studies, things in Ireland are largely opened up and the growth in the number of cases has been moderate, so clearly vaccines are inhibiting transmission. Above all we need all over 12s vaccinated and then consider whether vaccination of children will reduce transmission to the point where this is not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Its absolutely ridiculous now not to allow a reduced audience at a play in a theatre but to allow 40k bundled into Croke Park and barely anyone wore a mask

People are right to be annoyed and question it

• Advertisement

Ireland’s prolonged lockdown strategy really hasn’t worked at all.

We could have achieved much higher levels of natural immunity had people not been forced to stay within 5KM of their homes for 7 months.

Also, it’s simply human nature that people heavily restricted for such long periods will tend to go crazy for quite a while when they are finally given some freedom.

Despite sitting in lockdown for months on end, when a wave hits we tend to get hit harder than our neighbours around Europe.

We have failed miserably as a country by not following the science and allowing NPHET to go against what worked well in other countries.

And that’s without even considering the financial impacts which obviously will be worse here due again to our failed prolonged lockdowns

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Seems so

I'm Polish and we seemed to have achieved herd immunity or something along with our neighbours Ukraine, Slovak, Czech etc as we have much less restricitons, much less cases, much less vaccinated

Ukraine haven't even vaccinated 10% of adults and most of my Polish friends and family are not interested in getting vaccinated, don't see the point, doctors there give out anti-virals like Ivermetcin, Hydroxy, Amantadine when you sick, treating it like a flu, no doctors do this here

We had 185 cases in Poland yesterday, 185 out of 40 million population.

Covid doesn't exist here in people mind's, it's barely on the news. Alot of Irish people need to look beyond this Island and realise alot of the world have moved on. It's hard though, I post on here far too much about Covid and constantly reading about it, it's a hard cycle to get rid off and when I do try to ignore it, I turn on Youtube, check IG, check Dailymail and it's there in english media. If I turn on Polsat or TVN, very little Covid.

RTE have to laugh

Watched Fair City the other night and they all wearing masks and doing 2m distance

No polish sitcoms are like that :) It's crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

We're a conservative country. That's the sad thing about it.

A conservative response for a conservative country.

Some Irish want to continue to wallow in Covid misery and "staying safe".

@godzilla1989 wrote:

I'm Polish and we seemed to have achieved herd immunity or something along with our neighbours Ukraine, Slovak, Czech etc as we have much less restricitons, much less cases, much less vaccinated

Again, we bring it back to what a population will accept. Poland's covid death count is nearly double that of Ireland's per capita. They're up there among the worst in the world, along with Slovakia & Czechia.

They also have complete domain over their borders. Which means that it's slightly easier to keep a lid on infections. They can close the borders and let infections burn out. Ireland cannot. No matter how much we restrict, we are still at the mercy of an open border with a much larger and much looser nation to our east. If we had chosen a more relaxed route along the lines of Poland (or indeed much or central Europe), we'd have been hit far harder than any of those countries, because we are unable to avoid importing new cases.

I do appreciate people's frustration with our situation when looking at other countries. But other countries are not like Ireland. Is there another country in Europe which has a completely open and uncontrollable border with another jurisdiction? I don't believe there is.

But godzilla1989, aren't masks still required in all indoor places in Poland?

I've only ever been to Poland once (to Poznan), but would you say there's something similar to the Russian avos there? It's a difficult word to translate, but I think it kind of means fatalism. That people are relaxed and just get on with life and don't worry about things too much.

This is a good article about the Russian avos in the context of Covid, I think: Coronavirus Pandemic: Russia Dealing with COVID-19 in Its Own Way | National Review

They are but it's not enforced

Everything is mostly opened now and it's very relaxed, example on my sister stories a few days ago, she went to the circus with the kids and they picked randmon strangers from the audience to dance together inside a hula hoop ring, you know keep the ring up, moving the hips, face to face, 2 strangers

That kind of playful fun stuff won't happen here for years here

That's interesting. It sounds like people are very relaxed in Poland. It sounds similar to the Russian avos.

And if it ever does happen in Ireland masks will be required everywhere, there'll be non-stop announcements about 'staying safe' and the performers will have to stay two metres apart from one another.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I think a lot of what goes on here is "to be seen to be doing something".Or occasionally, virtue signalling.We are making idiots of ourselves.Nobody cares outside Ireland obviously, but it has and is heavily impacting our lives, and needs to stop.

Yes would be pretty similar to old soviet countries.

People don't take kindly to governments dictating and closing businesses

There would be uproar if waterparks like Aqua Dome in Tralee were closed to children in summer and bowling alleys, indoor children play centre's etc

Children here have been treated so badly, it's cruel.

No reason at all Aqua Dome can't open with 90% vaccination rates.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/tralee-news/ban-on-young-indoors-shuts-the-aqua-dome-40695515.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Swab data available today.

1517 positive swabs with 11% Positivity

Postives well down but positivity up.

Advertisement