Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

telling employers it's okay to pack your employees onto cramped buses and trains to commute to the office!

And this is one of the challenging parts: I'm still aware of one company with a "no sharing transport with people outside your house" policy.

If there are many of those, even with hybrid home/office combinations, there will be some traffic / parking consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dr_Zeus

I see Independent.ie are reporting that NPHET don't want any restrictions lifted until some time in October.

So we have NPHET wanting WFH advise retained for now, many companies by their actions delaying reopening clearly think WFH is the safe option for their staff for now and most people I speak too want WFH advise retained with anxiety about going into an indoor office without masks at desks during a Delta wave high.

I find it hard to see how the government can go against NPHET, go against what many companies are doing and want many employers think is right. Especially with the Green Party in government who should be pushing WFH as another way to reduce carbon emissions.

i.e. surely the government will retain WFH advise until October at a minimum. And when October rocks around, no doubt it will get extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There's a large number of people that want to go back to the offices, if dining, cinemas and schools are back, it doesn't make sense to keep the offices closed just because (however the return to offices should be entirely optional).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

This is what I can't understand with my employer.

Our CEO has us coming back on 7th September for one day a week.

There are a number of staff who want to come back and I've no problem with that, everyone's dynamic is different.

But why drag everyone back?

If people want to work from home, just let them. If people want to work from the office, let them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Offices are not akin to schools. With schools, especially for younger age groups, there is a strong argument that it cannot be done remotely. Also, the risk is lower given the younger age profile. In addition, in terms of prioritisation, a child's education is more important that someone sitting in an indoor offices when the work can be done at home. Hence, due to different age profiles, prioritization of activities and the lack of viable remote education for kids ... Reopening schools should be WAY above the priority of putting people in indoor offices.

Offices are also not akin to dining either. Offices have higher duration risk (sharing airspace for 8-9 hours up to 5 days a week), closing dining causes people to lose their jobs but the same cannot be said for offices where there is a WFH substitution and offices have both a corporate responsible to safety as well as well as personal responsibility.

I fully support the reopening of schools and indoor dining. I don't with offices right now. Offices are a different kettle of fish altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

My crystal ball on how this will play out:

(1) Government announce on 31st August that WFH guidance will be lifted around September 27th. (NPHET want sometime in October, government will compromise with end of September).

(2) Colleges and schools return. Cases soar. Hospital numbers tick up over September.

(3) Before the end of September, the government puts plans for the roadmap on ice.

(4) Offices allowed reopen in Spring 2022. Maybe.

Anyways, Delta is just too prevalent for offices to reopen. You would want to be one hell of a cold hearted company to put your staff in indoor often poorly ventilated offices and risk outbreaks. It is not just about the risk of letting unvaccinated in offices, there is enough evidence about waning and lower than expected efficacy to Delta not to risk putting even vaccinated staff in enclosed offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In an Indo piece about NPHET advising that younger people be vaccinated there is this on antigen tests, certainly a simpler and less divisive means of returning staff to the office.

Businesses will be asked to return to offices gradually, offer staff blended working arrangements and use antigen tests to screen employees for Covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Unfortunately I think some employers will try and force through a reopening of offices in October - completely unnecessary and causing a lot of stress for a lot of people with justifiable concerns about public transport, office safety and also the point that remote work should now become the norm for a vast majority of roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

in this country ? How can employer can decide what an employee does outside the office hours ? Or is it transport organized by the company itself (shuttles) ?

A few months ago, I had an employer who told me that they did not want to me to go in my home country on my own time because they were afraid I could get stuck by the mandatory hotel quarantine. Not of their business, you don't wrap your employees in bubble wrap so that nothing happens to them. Otherwise don't allow them to go skiing because they can break a wrist and not be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

You've no idea the amount of moronic companies she knows or worked for.

It's staggering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

have a close relative hopes to make it to retirement from WFH is a PS am sure many in the same boat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

Have the same. I was surprised at how early in all this she decided that she was never going back to the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Bellie1

How are they going to have the choice though? Can they just refuse to go in ? I guess it's near impossible to be fired in PS so maybe get away with it

How are they going to force someone in? Everyone can refuse to go in even in the private sector, it then comes down to whether or not the business feels like they can replace your skill set cheaply enough or indeed if there is enough benefit to forcing someone back into the office for the company/public sector.

But when(if ?) the covid crisis ends, they can't just do what they want. They'd have a case on health and safety grounds to insist and get away with it for now, but if the health risks are gone, then PS body can surely insist they come in. I'm all for WFH, just curious how people believe they can insist on it, even, or especially in the PS

Generally it should be advised to have a back up plan when doing this but the way to insist is to tell you are not coming back into the office! Nothing else to it. I presume her plan was to retire early if her job threatened to fire her over it. Generally for most people if they want either WFH or partial WFH then it will be onto the job market if their employer doesn't agree. Essentially your boss tells you to come in and you say no. Or more intelligently if you are not going to retire you say yes and contact recruiters for more flexible employers.

People believe they can insist because they feel they are employable and employers will face a choice of how much they want to insist on people coming into the office vs the potential of losing employees to competitors. Hiring is expensive so to risk having to pay to hire a person worse at the job than someone already there because of something that makes little difference to their productivity would be the height of stupidity. Of course this will depend on how important a company feels being in the office is to each role and how much they value high skill employees.

You are right when it comes to WFH full time. That is a differeht kettle of fish that won’t be available as a standard when this is over (though obviously some companies / jobs are remote by their nature, and some individual firms are likely to take a very flexible view )

But hybrid working is different. I speak with some management knowledge of HR in two large firms - one domestic and one international. If any employee asked to split their time between home and the office, up to 3 days at home in a week, the onus was on the company to justify why they cannot (and corporate BS like teamwork and water cooler chats doesn’t cut it - it had to be a real reason). The onus was not on the employee to justify it. It was an automatic right, unless there is a defensible reason to refuse. It has been that way for me for many years, and is a trend that was evident across the services sector way before Covid. It has just been accelerated.

That, presumably, is what is going to be written into legislation. And about time. It’s the 21st century and flexible working should be a right. PS included

Someone close to retirement age is going to find it alot more difficult to find new employment though so don't know if they'll have that ammunition. I really hope anyone who simply refuses to go into office gets what they want. During covid they've a really good chance so here's hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I really don't think the legislation will be that strong

Then there will be a huge divide between modern sophisticated firms where WFH 2 or 3 days a week will be completely standard, and smaller domestic firms (and possibly PS) in which it is not. I know which side of that fence I would rather be on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Well that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Obviously companies with highly motivated staff will be happy to have them working from home. Companies (or the PS) that have issues managing staff productivity at the best of times will be less inclined to offer it. It will be a perk and better staff will move to companies that offer it. The idea that it will be a free for all and everyone can do what they like seems fanciful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

The antigen testing of staff who go into the office is interesting. It will add costs and logistics for companies to sort out.

Keeping offices closed makes most sense right now but if people really have to go into the office antigen testing makes a lot of sense. It is one way to help prevent outbreaks. My UK teacher friend has to do a weekly antigen test.

The fact that a company has issues managing productivity should not be a reason to prohibit hybrid working. It’s a cop out. That’s why it should be legislated for. There are too many bad HR departments and bad managers out there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It will also depend on the type of work and how digital it is. I think that whatever legislation ends up in place will be relatively weak and there will be lots of valid reasons why WFH may not work in certain situations. For staff, the best course of action will be voting with their feet.

Here is an example from 6 months into the pandemic:

We don't know the entire picture across the PS of course, but this information was requested in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

Of course the private sector can force you to come back to the office - I was told, with no option for discussion to come back to the office 1 day a week as my contract is in head office. I'm terrified of getting Covid still and put my case forward through my manager and the Covid officer but it wasnt even entertained.

I keep hearing that same thing, well if the pubs/cinemas/restaurants are open - but that's the point, you are supposed to keep those activities in your pods, not then walk into a building with a load more people outside your circle and spread it around. Go to the cinema and then go home. Go to a restaurant and then go home. The WFH is still in place to limit contacts. Its not about what you can and cant do, its about how & why you do it.

The schools opening and then a load of parents coming to an office every day is a recipe for disaster - the spread is going to ramp up.

Where is it laid out that you’re supposed to keep these activities in your “pods”? Nobody I know is doing that any more

there are are guidelines that offices are meant to adhere to. If you have evidence that they are not, then you probably have a defensible case. There’ll be few enough offices that will allow 100% WFH after September (though most will be hybrid)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

My company have asked everyone to continue working from home and will review the situation by end of November with a months notice given on return to offices. Also the general sentiment seems to be that those that don't want to return, won't be forced to. Luckily I can do my job as well if not better remotely.

Honestly, that doesn't sound like a good employer.

Personally I'd be voting with my feet in those circumstances

Good statement today from the owner of Premier Foods in the UK, when giving all staff the ability to work where they want to:

This isn’t about getting rid of the office altogether, it’s about shifting our mindset on what it means to be flexible. Work is a verb, not a place, and whether it’s for a team meeting or just personal preference, our office remains open for anyone who wants to use it.

“Work is a verb, not a place”. Some bosses here could do well to take that on board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Ashida

Advertisement