Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

the other thing to note that is B is now worth more than A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Actually looking forward to Kane and Big Rom coming into play now....everyone seems to have the same template atm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Sounds like Liverpool are refusing to allow Salah play for Egypt because it is a red-list country, so he cannot play in Egypt. They will however allow him to play the Gabon game, as that is an amber-list country so presumably would not need quarantine upon arrival.

EDIT: It's being applied to all players. If it's a red-list. you can't go because of the enforced quarantine.

Personally, I think Fabinho might be allowed to break this (internal Liverpool) rule and go to Brazil and stay there for a few days and then quarantine upon arrival back in the UK. Not that he would be a FPL asset though.

Be interesting to see what FIFA say about that, if country calls up players and Liverpool refuse to let them leave. Can they be stopped from playing with their club?

I know FIFA gave exemption last year but does it still apply this year?

• Advertisement

FIFA can prevent players playing for their club while their is international competitions ongoing. For example if a player refused to play for his country in the AFCON, FIFA could refuse the club permission to play him for the club for the duration of the tournament.

I'm not sure if they can suspend him for club games after the international games. If they can, there will be an awful lot of suspended players in the PL for those games. Something like 50 players are at risk. It's not just Salah or Liverpool players.

But so far it's only Liverpool who have come out and said it. They stopped Salah going to the Olympics, while their neighbors Everton let Ricky go play Copa America and the Olympics. If you think about that - should Liverpool have had the power to do that - when another team/player shows that it's possible to do it? Ricky has come back and played the first two games.

I'm sure there were other players in the PL who played at the Olympics as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Different circumstances.

Teams aren't obligated to release players for Olympics.

You mean so far it's only a journalist with links to Liverpool who has come out and said it so far. Going by the Athletic article, every single ECA club have the same stance as Liverpool on the current International break quarantine issue. so that's basically every European side bar Juventus, Real & Barca.

And, yes they should IMO. Liverpool pay his wages. And anyways, they are already losing Salah to one mid-season tournament as it is so him leaving for a second mid-season tournament is too much. The Olympics is an u23 tournament, with 3 overage players allowed. From a quick glance at the squads, there were 4 players who would fall into this category - Eric Bailly, Winston Reid, Chris Wood & Richarlison. One is a reserve who came back injured, another reserve, one important player coming back off of a free summer with no mid-season tournament and Richarlison who is going to need a 2 or 3 week break eventually during the season because of his summer. I think Liverpool made the right call. There were other clubs who refused players to play in the Olympics too. Arsenal, Chelsea and were just some of the clubs to do so, and that was for players who ended up leaving the club on loan, let alone star players.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I was reading that FIFA arent giving exemptions. The south Americans all have 3 WC qualifying games, one of the three has been carried over from postponements last March and I think it is the same in the October international break, that will be 3 competitive games too.

If FIFA arent giving exemptions and the UK government keeps south American countries on the red list (likely) then it could be a mess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If all the teams in England (and Europe) stick together and refuse to release the players who will need to play in red list countries there is very little that can be done about it.

Maybe games can take place in neutral venues in a non red list country?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah probably not much FIFA can do about it but it does devalue their competition (as much as I hate international breaks)

It would have been an idea to have all the south American countries play somewhere neutral like Portugal but that probably raises issues of players who live in red listed countries in south America going to Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

What’s peoples advice on Harvey Barnes? Dropping tonite, It’ll take a -4 to shift him. Alli the most likely replacement but he has Norwich up next

I panicked and jumped on the Benrahma rise.

I didn’t like 2/3 of the next 4 fixtures for Barnes, he is dropping in price, he only played 71 & 63 minutes in last 2 fixtures and the European games will be starting soon enough.

I’m sure I’ll own him again when he starts scoring but I didn’t want to take the price drop all things considered

i feel I made the right decision getting rid but not sure I got the right guy in.

Might have to leave him if Ben White looks like dropping. Whatever about losing money on Barnes I’d be disgusted to lose 0.1 on White

But White isn’t the kinda of player that will continue to drop imo.

if he does drop then he’ll rise again within a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Yep agree. Do I waste 2 transfers taking him out and in again to save .1 or .2... that seems a poor short-term thinking when he will surely rise back up to 4.5 again.

Think ill dump 4m pool def instead and bank the .1 gain

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Is White near a drop? I'm looking at moving Toney on but I will shift White out for Dier rather than take a drop this early in the season. Bring White back in later at 4.4 possibly for Tsimikas then.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭False Prophet

97% to drop. He was over 100 2 days ago but fpl added yellow flag which reset it. He will surely drop .1 tonight or tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Any worries that Dier might lose his place to Romero?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm not sure of the Spurs defence. Who of the 4.5 lads is expected to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Not sure myself but wouldn't rate Doer or Sanchez highly so I imagine Romero will come in for one of them

Man City the latest team to go 'public' in their denial of players to play international games in red-list countries. More clubs will follow according to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭Invincible

Meant to be rumours of Juventus offering Ronaldo to Man City & that they are about to sign Lewandowski from Bayern.

Time will tell....

Romero is a CB so one of those two goes when he comes in. Tanganga has competition from Doherty and Aurier

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

No more Saturday 12.30 kickoffs for teams who play Wednesday in Champions League.

After much criticism about the packed fixture lists last season, English teams playing on a Wednesday in the Champions League will no longer be involved in the ‘early’ Premier League kick-off on a Saturday, due to a scheduling change made by BT Sport. The broadcaster’s ‘primetime’ slot will now move to 19:45 on Saturdays, if one of the teams playing has been on a European excursion the prior Wednesday.

Would he got to city given his background at United? Not sure that would be well supported.

From FF point of view if he did move, he would probably be priced as high as 11.5m? which would be nightmare to fit into teams.

I wonder what the players themselves feel about it. In Salah's case there were rumors that he wanted to go to the Olympics but Pool said no - stuff like that doesn't help if trying to tie someone down to new contract. I believe that Messi wanted it stated that he could be released for international games when he joined PSG.

If Brazil missed the WC in Qatar because they failed to qualify cause players weren't being released, there would be uproar etc. I get that the clubs pay the wages, but what if say they get an exemption and Salah goes to Egypt and picks up Covid, and comes back and it spreads through the team - then what? do they just play on regardless - like Arsenal had to, or do you think there would be pressure of games been postponed?

Someone said that UEFA/FIFA couldn't really do anything - in theory they could force walk-overs in CL if clubs didn't travel to a red listed country - unlike last season where they moved games to accommodate teams.

If an exemption isn't given, it will be a mess, but if it is given it will look like double standards the millionaire footballers can do what they want, whereas other sports people - like the lions team, have to quarantine, yet alone the millions of Brits that can't just travel to a red listed country.

When the euros where on everyone was in their bubble - now it's lads going home to their families, nights out etc - different setting.

There was an article recently that state that a large number of footballers haven't been vaccinated either - so a player arriving back from a red listed country and going back into the environment could bring other issues-imagine the uproar that could cause if a new Omega variant from south america was discovered in players from Liverpool. It sounds ridiculous, but then this is the Covid world.

• Advertisement

This would suggest that all PL clubs will block players from travelling to red list countries.

Advertisement