Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Facts can't be disingenuous , they are facts.

And the facts are that the number of viewers has declined each and every week since launch , absent a slight blip upwards around the first few Farage shows.

the numbers remain reasonably aligned.

Aligned with what exactly , the reality that no matter what way you slice those numbers there is no suggestion of growth for GB News in any way shape or form. There isn't even data to show that they are holding steady.

The trend is downward- that is a clear statement of fact , unlike the GB News tweet which cherry picked random unrelated data points to paint a picture of something that doesn't actually exist in reality.

They don't have 5 Millions viewers , they aren't beating Sky News in any meaningful way and they are simply not doing well.

Don't get me wrong , it's the job of a marketing department to put the best possible view forward and to "big up" their company , but facts are facts.

I have no issue with GB News existing for the market they wish to serve , my only point throughout this whole thread is the fact that that market is tiny and will not ever provide an environment for the channel to be financially self-sufficient and stable.

Never seen that "promise" once.

Yet another complete fabrication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

a 60% drop in reach over 7 weeks is nobodies idea of winning. well except if you live in upside down world.

You cannot compare an artificial high of the channel onset with what would become regular viewers. Similarly, Farage was an artificial high to begin with.

Once you take these out of the equation, you're left with a consistent viewer base. You can criticize that number, but to directly compare launch day numbers with later, regular viewers is, as I said before, disingenuous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

BS

You've been quoting Farage figures as evidence of the growing popularity of the station. You can't call someone disingenuous for pointing out that such interest is fading and leaving little core viewers behind.

• Advertisement

the only real question with those figures is how much further they will fall.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Even allowing for the Launch interest and the "Farage bump" the trend is still statistically downward..

From ~1.3M views per week to just above ~1M per week , there's nothing stable or steady about the figures.

The next update from BARB will see what the trend is , if they can hold the line above 1M views a week then maybe that's signs of some stability but if they dip below that then the trend continues..

Either way - 1M views a week simply isn't financially viable, not even close.

SKY have more than 4X that level and still lose money.

If it weren't for Farage voyaging into the English Channel last year, the media wouldn't have picked up the story at all. It was nowhere to be seen until Farage and others went out and exposed how many illegal migrant crossings were taking place each week. He never attacked the RNLI. We've already said that he simply argued that the RNLI should not be burdened by the sheer number of migrants crossing. That is entirely valid. You cannot have thousands of migrants crossing the channel each week; it's not only illegal but it's also far too dangerous and there are limited resources for the RNLI to deal with this volume of people.

Looking at a trend in data is disingenuous? we really do live in a post-truth world.

Even if you ignore the first week numbers the trend is only going one way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

But but but....something something YOUTUBE!!!!!!

226,000 subscribers and 25 million views is not something to be sniffed at.

It's growing solidly, too.

if this was 2008 then 226,000 subscribers might be something to crow about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Not really though.

Peaks and troughs. Far too early to draw any real conclusion though.

https://socialblade.com/youtube/c/gbnewsonline

Video views up 60% in the past 30-days.

No matter what way you cut that, it's a positive statistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks for that.

The media juggernaut that is GBNews in plain numbers. The @ 4000th ranked YouTube channel in just the UK 😂

That's before any of the issues around clickfarming or other issues are taken into account. Kids opening boxes, and ASMR videos have more subscribers. Perhaps I should give their opinion the same weight in my news feeds?😉

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭livia21

I had it on in the background..What was the name of that Democratic chap that wiped the floor with Farage?

Again, I will reiterate

Youtube views are irrelevant, they make little to no money for a T.V Station. Unless they are getting £1 per view and £5 per subscriber then those numbers are worthless to a channel that has massive overheads.

Just for giggles and to put EH's notions of GBNews reach on YouTube being anything special.

Below is a comparison of the YT numbers Vis a vis BBCnews and Sky news Channels.

The 30day subscriber numbers in particular are of note because if YT matters? Then GBnews have a problem there too.

• Advertisement

The hypocrisy of you, and others of your ilk, laid bare for all to see.

In one breath you're complaining that not everybody on the right thinks the same and shouldn't be lumped into the same homogeneous grouping. This, despite the fact that you regularly do EXACTLY that with others that oppose contrasting views......"not everyone on the right is the same, but everyone on the left is". The cognitive dissonance is real. You're tarring everybody on the left with one brush while admonishing others not to do the same with you. Par for the course, really. The Tories/Conservatives/right-wingers are masters at this hypocritical bolloxology......you always see people blaming all Muslims for not speaking out about suicide bombers, then label the many, many, many right-wing terrorists as lone wolves. Despicable, really.

Also, didn't you claim earlier in this exact thread that using labels like right and left was beneath you?

A consistent viewer base? A consistently minuscule one, maybe. And one that is diminishing. Are you trying to refute the claim that the overall trend is downwards by using figures which show it trending downwards and saying they're consistent? Consistently decreasing, yes?

He did so attack them. He attempted to hamstring their fundraising ventures by creating a false equivalence between them and a French border taxi service.

And that it’s a problem because the people who give money to the RNLI are asking themselves ‘do I really want to give money for this?

This is a play straight out of the Donald Trump playbook....make up a quote which you yourself want to say, but attribute it to an unnamed, nebulous source that can't be tracked down, then claim it's indicative of the general populace. An absolute masterclass in making accusations or creating talking points while still retaining plausible deniability.......e.g.....He called Obama a terrorist sympathiser, without calling him a terrorist sympathiser when asked to explain his comments when he claimed Obama 'gets' terrorists better than anyone else:

“Well,” Trump said on the “Today Show” Monday morning, “there are a lot of people that think maybe he doesn’t want to get it . A lot of people think maybe he doesn’t want to know about it. I happen to think that he just doesn’t know what he’s doing, but there are many people that think maybe he doesn’t want to get it. He doesn’t want to see what’s really happening. And that could be.”

To anyone with an ounce of credibility, this is indefensible. Luckily, Farage's comments had the exact opposite effect and increased their donations hugely.

You've interviewed them all to determine their legality or otherwise have you ?

FRONTEX have, and they say that most people crossing the Med are refugees. It is not illegal to be a refugee. They cannot travel by normal means as this requires a visa, so they are reduced to travelling by non-normal means to flee. While there are undoubtedly some economic migrants too, they are in the minority. Personally I'm not big into punishing a large group of people for the actions of a few. To determine that they have arrived by "illegal migrant crossings" is, in effect, trying to stop the entire system of asylum-seeking. Nice.

Just while we're on the subject, the much-asked question "why do they have to come here why cant they stay in France / other country that isn't here (* delete as appropriate) " - there is no requirement in the 1951 Refugee Convention that a refugee must claim asylum in one country over another.

Are we really back to the "Many people say ... " nonsense?

If you are moving to the UK for economic reasons and not because you're in direct threat of losing your life, that is economic migration. Whilst some may have escaped for genuine reasons, that is abolished by future actions that seek to enter a third country for economic reasons.

In fact, what's worse about migration across the channel is that these migrants may have escaped their home country for fear of losing their life, but they're perfectly happy to put their life on the line - with conscious choice - to cross the channel even though they are already safely present on the European continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭livia21

It is not a fabrication.Pre launch and whilst Piers Morgan was hosting GMB Andrew Neil as a guest (contributing from France ofcourse)Morgan asked him something about Megan..He said he didn't want to comment on her and that their names would not be allowed on GB News

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The main reason given for refugees picking the country they do is a support system.

They are going to link up with a family or community which makes being a refugee a lot easier.

You are not the arbiter of who is and isn't an economic migrant

Well, there's an interesting juxtaposition with what's going on with Afghanistan.

There was a young women desperately and understandably seeking to flee the country. She was asked by a journalist where she would like to go, and her answer was unambiguous: "Any country!".

That is how almost everyone would react if they were genuinely in fear of losing their life. They wouldn't take out a globe and have an a la carte approach about which countries they want to settle in and which they do not. That is not in the remit of the refugee.

A la carte migration sets a terrible precedent, undermines the very concept of being a refugee, and creates circumstances in which migrants are willing to throw caution to the four winds to make their way to the target country, rather than being satisfied with the first safe country they find.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I may need help after saying this but I was presently surprised at GB News apology for whoever laughg at a statement about the Afgan situation. Though he did go on a rant the day after of let's not talk about them I will only get in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Advertisement

You've taken one persons comments and derived the correct path for everyone from it, such an approach is usually from those who lack empathy. Newsflash : people and circumstances vary, including over time. The same persons attitude may very well be different once they are over the initial shock.

Let me know when your life is at risk from the state you're from because of political reasons. At that point I'll maybe listen as you'll have first hand knowledge. Until then, you have no idea whats its like to be forced to leave your homeland and seek refuge.

There are no circumstances in the world in which I'd leave a dangerous zone (home country) to enter a safe zone (Europe), only to consciously re-enter a more dangerous zone (English Channel).

I'd be grateful to the first country where I was safe and could apply to become an asylum seeker.

So you say.

But if you were in France, knew nobody, had no job or no support network but knew you had friends and family in England who could help you then you definitely would be prepared to make that journey.

Now I know you will poo baahhhh what I have just said and claimnyou won't but anybody would try and make it to family/friends rather than stay in a strange place with zero support.

The vast majority do just go anywhere. People in the UK forget that what they are seeing is an absolutely tiny portion of the refugees coming from Africa and Asia.

The countries on the European border have the largest numbers and Pakistan for instance will probably end up with the largest of this Afghan wave.

A small number heading for the UK because of family or community is not "a la carte" or whatever other pseudo intellectual BS word you come up with

You don't know that it's what you would do because you have never been within a million miles of becoming a refugee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

I think the point is to shift all the responsibility onto a different country without seeming like you have an issue with refugees.

• Advertisement

Nobody has ever argued against refugees.

The argument is that they should not be economic or illegal migrants.

My argument is you are trying to tarnish all refugees as "economic migrants" knowing full well that what you are trying to do is discredit the entire refugee program.

It's straight out of the playbook of your xenophobic hero Farage. (Watch now how Eskimo concentrates on the xenophobic bit to avoid the hard key point of the post)

The UK and in particular GBNews spinning the migrant crisis, is just that.

It's spin, the actual numbers paint a very different story, both in headline numbers of Asylum seekers and a handy little comparator of Asylum seekers per 1000 of population.

The 2020 numbers below paint a story quite at odds with the effort of Farage & co to start a moral panic. The UK's very own border crisis with a little sea rescue drama thrown in.

In comparative terms the UK takes far fewer than many other countries and gloss over that with headline spiel. Even the bloody Swiss who can be notoriously closed, do a better job in overall numbers than the UK. And when the number is adjusted? The UKs effort to re-home and offer safe harbour is worse than even Ireland's.

Lots more detail can be perused the below site.

I already previously provided you with links on how the conditions in Calais are atrocious, this includes a lack of access to clean food and water. So no, I don't think they should put up and shut up if the host country is failing to provide a safe environment.

Also fyi, it wasn't remotely a secret that huge numbers are crossing the channel so no, Farage did not break that story. Although he does seem to favour them drowning.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Those viewing figures are just also for the main bbc news channel. The viewing figures for its BBC One bulletin's at 6, 10 and the weekend are regularly over 3 million.

ITV news gets about 2.5 million.

News night gets another 300k-500k viewers too.

Scotland tonight, on STV, with it's fairly limited interest gets about 100k a night too which is nearly the best gb news and Farage can do

• Advertisement

This must have been prerecorded, but should be good!

I had to Google who that even is... A 75 year old former darts player is something you're excited about?

One has been talking shìte with another has been.

Most people agree that Talking Pints is the best part of Farage's show.

when you set yourself low standards then bobby george might pass as exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Being the best part of Farages show is like being the best bit of bird shíte on the ground.

So you are just going to say "should be good" everytime the show is on regardless of how boring and inconsequential the guest sounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Esky was excited at the idea of Farage wearing his special coat. Once its Farage its a blockbuster. Thats what GBNews and Esky are clinging to.

Can I see the poll where that claim is made? Or was it done in your own head?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement