Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to disclose whether you’ve had vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Unfortunately I've been asked a few times whether I have taken these injections. Thankfully, I am able to proudly answer that I have not and shall not.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

I’m not sure if my teenage daughters school has any medical information on her e.g. if she received her MMR etc

she has, btw, received the MMR. However, she didn’t receive the Swine Flu vaccine. Why? Because I felt that it hadn’t been tested enough, simple as. I feel the same about the Covid vaccines.

TBH, at this point I’m more unsure about it because the government keeps changing the goal posts on who should or shoul not take the vaccine......pregnant women cannot, oh sorry they can....and should. Etc etc etc

Teenager ready to go back to unvaccinated. She’s had covid. She will NOT be discriminated against for not taking the covid vaccine! Have the other thousands of children who didn’t take MMR been discriminated against in school. No, and rightly so!

sweet Jesus 🤦‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Well school didnt help her mam too much so probably no great loss if she can't attend

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

The most unvaccinated group by education level are people with PHD's, it might be no harm separating the unvaccinated kids into their own class, just to see if the outcome correlates to their parents education level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Where did you source that nugget of information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You don’t think there should be scope for changing advice in response to a novel coronavirus? Would you prefer if the Government adopted a fixed position, strict restrictions to save lives, or no restrictions and let people die? Or would you prefer them to adopt a stance whereby they adapt the advice in response to new research of the novel virus and changing conditions in the population?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

The government are being lead by NIAC and Nphet. They don't change advice willy nilly. They're changing advice to an ever changing set of circumstances.

Vaccines are required for entry to a lot of countries, Covid vaccines will most probably be treated similarly at some stage.

The fact no one asks if your daughter has had the Mmr or childhood vaccines is attributed to the fact that it's a successful rollout and a few kids unvaccinated here and there won't cause a surge in cases.

Unfortunately, as Covid is a novel vaccine, we are trying to suppress it by having the best vaccine available to us now in as many arms as possible. Otherwise we are likely to have high deaths, hospitalisations and a threat of this delta mutating.

I'm putting my trust in a vaccine, developed by those who know more than me, and have left my children take the vaccine. Far too much time has been spent at home this last 18 months. I am happy with the fact that my children will continue to be allowed in school if they happen to be named a close contact and are asymptomatic. In the even they would be symptomatic, I am reassured that the vaccine will help them over come it better than if they had nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Will_I_Regret

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I'm vaccinated. I have no intention of disclosing this to my employer. I am not a conspiracy theorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

In a US online study where the participants got to pick their own education level (without verification) - and the largest group in that study was High School or below

• Advertisement

I'm sure you're not. You're probably in the minority though, like I said most people don't mind telling if they are vaccinated

My employer only got a 50% response rate. They started by requesting proof of vaccination, then went to accepting our word, and finally gave up trying to collect data.

I am fully and happily vaccinated, but found their requests intrusive.

There is no reason to collect the information. If we have an outbreak, then they must follow government guidelines anyway. Keeping a database of vaccinated employees is a pointless exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I agree there's no need to keep the info on spec, but now that the government advice for close contacts is different for those who are vaccinated versus those who are not, info on vaccination status will be needed to implement government guidelines in the event of an outbreak. Same issue with schools for the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

No questioning their reasoning behind asking, I'm sure their motivation for doing so is purely safety minded but it's still an invasive question, nevermind the position one accepting it puts the next person in, he answered so why don't you? etc.

I'm also unsure how they could use the information anyway, they can't refuse the child/worker and they can't treat them any differently to any other, even separation could be a tricky issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,618 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The MMR shot is also given in the school so they'd know who exactly is and isn't covered.

All those who say they're never giving over information about vaccines, to anyone....but they all probably own a smartphone🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

My daughter is 15. She has had Covid and so have I. I’m fully vaccinated, as is my husband and my 21 year old son - his choice, I did not try to sway him either way, he’s an adult and make decisions for himself. I’m not anti-vax and I’m educated to MSc level.

Im well capable of making my own decisions and having my own opinions. WRT the Covid vax, I’m not comfortable with my 15 year old receiving the vaccine.

my understanding is that when the kids go back to school, if a student is a close contact of another student who tests positive, those who are vaccinated do not have to leave the class, whilst the unvaccinated will be “treated differentlyl

Vaccinated pupils will not have to stay home if they are a close contact of a Covid case in school, but unvaccinated children will have to take time out of class.

The HSE is planning to allow vaccinated children be exempt from taking a test and restricting their movements for 10 to 14 days as long they themselves have no symptoms.

The new divide between vaccinated and unvaccinated pupils will emerge in second- level schools next month.” Irish independent 23 August

so, if I don’t disclose that my daughter hasn’t had the vaccine, what can they do?

Not only are they asking medical questions which should be private, but this particular question is almost as irrelevant as it is intrusive.

After 90 days the Pfizer efficacy at preventing high viral load infections has dropped from 92% to 78%, and AstraZeneca has dropped from 69% to 61% efficacy. The Pfizer is dropping faster, and the data coming out of Israel shows that after 6 months it's not working nearly as well as hoped for. One of the inventors of mRNA (DR RW Malone) has also predicted that at about 5-6 months the protection is very poor, if effective at all, so the data is certainly pointing that direction.

So what is the point of being so concerned about who had the vaccine, after 6 months they're both gonna be somewhere around 50% effective. So lets say you have three people in work, two vaccinated and one unvaccinated. The vaccinated ones can go to pubs, holidays etc, and in general have more interactions with people and in general have more exposure to the virus. Is the difference in likelihood of infection really so high that it warrants harassing people about? Everyone in that office will probably have a similar chance of being infected. Then it comes down to personal outcomes, we let people drink, we let people smoke, we let people drive, we let people get obese, so let people not get the vaccine if they think it's higher risk than the virus. If they're wrong about mRNA, then that's on them, and if we're right about the vaccine, then don't come crying to us when you start drooling and have cravings for brains.

I cant post links, but I'm sure I'll be asked by some to do the googling for them, so feel free to copy and paste

Bloomberg Oxford covid study

Highly vaccinated Israel is seeing a dramatic surge in new covid cases

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

I would assume if you dont reveal whether your daughter is vaccinated or not, they will ask for her to remain at home to ensure the safety of her and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@JDMC2 wrote:

so, if I don’t disclose that my daughter hasn’t had the vaccine, what can they do?

They will treat her as if she is unvaccinated and require her to isolate as a close contact.

It depends on implementation. I'm not entirely sure how it was done last year. We got a couple of emails saying, "There was a case in your child's class, but if you have not already been contacted, then your child was not a close contact". So it may be the case that the school never knew who the close contacts were and it was the tracers who looked after that.

So I expect it'll work the same way this year - close contacts will still be notified, but will be told, "If you are not vaccinated, then stay home and self isolate. If you are vaccinated you may continue to attend school so long as you have no symptoms".

You can argue that your daughter will then be "outed" because she has to stay home, but so be it. She can always just lie and say she had symptoms.

• Advertisement

Your daughter will probably be asked for a qr code like dining in.

If she doesn't have it, the school will assume she's unvaccinated, a risk to pupils and staff, send her home and will have to be tested and stay out for 10 days, same situation as it always was with close contacts.

One if the reasons I decided my chdren could have the vaccine. Otherwise they'd either be out with Covid or out with close contacts, so it's great now my kids won't loose school hours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

I'm also unsure how they could use the information anyway

Vaccination is just one part of the containment strategy, so information about vaccination could be used as part of the strategy:

E.g. when you have a school with 80 students in one age group, and 4 of them are not vaccinated, you can have 4 classes of 20 pupils each, with one pupil in each class being unvaccinated, to keep the risk for the unvaccinated to a minimum.

Before the summer break, some European countries did 2-3 antigen tests each week for each student, to monitor outbreaks (antigen tests are specific enough for that kind of use case). If you have a class of fully vaccinated, you could reduce the number of tests.

Also mask mandates: they are more critical in classes where there are unvaccinated.

And budget: if you only have the budget to install new and improved ventilation in one class room, you could use that room mainly for the unvaccinated.

And remote learning: keeping unvaccinated at home for remote learning is a way to reduce risk for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

I can see the logic in some of that for sure, we certainly couldn't keep the vaccinated at home and we definitely can't ask the unvaccinated to mask while allowing the vaccinated not to go about freely - pretty sure that would be a hard case to sell legally, it's straight up discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

No - its the vaccinated kids that are "treated differently" as they will be able to attend school, when previously they would not have (the previous status quo) - unvaccinated kids carry on the same as before.

A lot there, but ultimately the answer is "because T-Cells", antibody count is always decreasing if there is no virus or booster there to stimulate them, long term immunity comes from T-Cells not antibodies.

Antibody count and T-cells are irrelevant in this study, it's an efficacy study, the mechanism doesn't really matter, it either protects or it doesn't and as time goes by, efficacy drops regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

The consent forms for the MMR vaccines are between the parents/guardians and the HSE. The school does not keep these forms, or keep a record of who went and got the vaccine the day the nurse came round.

I think you may be mixing up the numbers, but feel free to correct me if I'm (probably) wrong, but Pfizer efficacy was 96% at the start dropping to 84% after 4 months (bmj study from the end of July), the numbers you quoted I think are from the recent antibody study showing the count drop off over time.

edit: I notice you quoted Malone, he did not invent the vaccines and is pretty much discredited at this point in time.

No, its a recent study by oxford university based on 3million PCR tests, the numbers are accurate, and its testing vaccine efficacy against high viral load infections.

I take the terms discredited with a pinch of salt these days. Everybody who goes against the party line gets "discredited" and "debunked" these days. How many times was the lab leak theory discredited and debunked last year,? websites and scientists were de-platformed because of that one? Remember when the governments wanted masks for the health care system?, we were told that masks not only didn't help, they actually cause the virus to spread because you touch your face, and any studies to the contrary are debunked? Now they want people wearing masks, and any study that shows masks aren't effective? Yep, discredited and debunked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

Why do people think this is private now?

Vaccine status has never been private before.

The MMR is administered at school. For Creche entry my children’s vaccine history was provided. If you work in medical field you need to provide your employer with HepB vaccine evidence.

Advertisement