Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Probably retail settings as well... Personally I'd wear 2 of them if it meant going to a full capacity concert or a match, and I find them very uncomfortable but it would be worth it

I wouldn't bother either. The problem is that there is an obsession with them in Ireland. Just have a glance at that mask thread. Never anything about it being unnatural and a bad thing to not be able to see people's faces. Just links to studies about masks, different types of masks. why children should wear masks. It's unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I know this wasn't directed at me but no, I don't agree with you that mask wearing will be permanent in Ireland. Some will continue to wear them but it won't be mandatory.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

The problem is that there has been no statement to that effect from NPHET. Come spring it'll be just until summer and so on and so forth. If almost 100% vaccination isn't enough for them to then they never go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Vaccinations are not just to protect those that can take one. They are also to protect those that cannot. That is the theory behind herd immunity. Of course we should be proud of how effective the campaign has been as shown by the high uptake, but we should not confuse adult percentage uptake with the percentage required for herd immunity which is based on total population and for this virus is no generally accepted as 80% - 85%. Presently 90.3% of the adult population has received at least one dose. That is roughly 72% of the total population.

I would not see anything wrong, or any great conspiracy around, attempting to get that figure to as close to herd immunity level as possible.

• Advertisement

I hope you're right, but close to 100% (won't get 100% because people will choose not be vaccinated and people won't be able to be vaccinated) isn't enough for Nolan to say 'get rid of them'. He's talking about long-term social distancing and mask wearing post 95% vaccination, or possibly higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Have to say I hate the masks. I would prefer to queue outside a shop than having to wear a mask. Mask should be voluntary, let people decide what they want to do. Some of the mask rules are crap like in a pub you have to wear a mask going to a table or the loo but can take it off otherwise like that is going to make a difference, same in the gym, wear it in reception but that's it, petrol stations it takes more time to find a mask and put it on than it does to go in and pay and leave. What I think will happen and you can see it happening a bit is that people will just stop wearing them less and less and that will be it. Look at croke Park yesterday only a few wearing the masks everyone else screaming and shouting without one. Am sure poor Tony at home was in a rage at the tv.

I remember this time last year, people were saying that hospital numbers are low because "we are beating this virus" with social distancing and 9€ meals, this year people are saying that the vaccines are to thank for low hospital numbers... Wait until winter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, I think fair enough if you want to keep them longer term for public transport or airplanes, or any very enclosed space like that. I would think most would be fine with masks continuing on those into 2022. But like you said there, there are some scenarios now where it just makes no sense and those ones need to go imo. If you're going in to a large shopping centre like Dundrum, Mahon Point etc, you've high ceilings, large spaces, lots of ventiliation. It's arguably safer without a mask in places like that then some of these semi outdoor bars/restaurants that have been springing up which are pretty much just a tent/gazebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Yes the attack rate is not 100%

If we assume only 10% of kids come in contact with the virus in 12 months

That's only 10 in hospital for a whole year, not even 1 a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Do people wear masks at home? No. Masks are not "popular". If there were no feasible reason to wear them, people wouldn't be wearing them.

The rules to wear masks have ended in the UK, it will end here soon enough. Due to the fact that Covid will likely persist (like the flu) it's likely certain people will choose to wear masks as a precaution, or that certain situations/premises may require them as a precaution.

It's worth noting that your views on this are motivated by your open belief in many far-fetched Covid and global conspiracies

But why for public transport and planes? Why anywhere when the country has been vaccinated? That's what I don't understand. The only reason I could understand them on planes is because of international agreements and regulations. Tat's why they're still required on planes in Denmark. But they're not required anywhere else.

Same with people accepting Glynn's 'a semblance of normality'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

In fairness, they can't really come out with a date. Apart from the fact that no one knows exactly how this will all play out, if they gave a date, whether it be 1st October or 1st February, people would pretty much stop wearing them now, because, sure its only a few weeks away.

I think doing away with the mask wearing will be the last thing, but whenever it does happen, it will be announced "with immediate effect", to avoid some spacer wondering why he has to wear one today but won't have to wear one next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I wouldn't pay much attention to a fringe few obsessed with their masks, once they are no longer mandatory you will see usage drop pretty damn quickly.

They are an inconvenience, and an inconvenience that isn't mandatory doesn't stand a chance against human nature.

Some people will still wear them of course, for fashion reasons if nothing else, but the vast majority of people will drop them like a bad habit.

I know elderly people who wear them at home. People wear them alone in their car, cutting the grass, on the street with no one around, the mask thread is 99% pro-mask.

My views are based on Professor Nolan saying that social distancing and masks will be long-term (which basically means indefinite) even post-vaccination. If close to 100% vaccination isn't enough to get rid of them then I don't know what is.

As you say, certain premises/situations. That could be public transport, banks, shops etc.

Planes because they are enclosed spaces and people can bring in cases of the virus from abroad (and variants)

New Zealand had very low cases, but kept strict travel rules for the above reason. People who are vaccinated can still spread and get the disease. However as more and more people are vaccinated then cases will eventually start to drop. Keyword: eventually. It depends on many factors and also variants.

Why are vaccinated people exempt from PCR travel testing and hotel quarantine when it's widely agreed that being vaccinated has no effect on transmission?

Ya, personally, i'm against them and I hate wearing them but will do it out of courtesy when i'm in a situation that needs one. If it was up to me, they'd be gone in the morning unless people want to wear one themselves at which point fair enough. I can see people wanting them to continue for longer in those situations though and if it makes people feel safer for another few months as things get back to normal, then I'd be ok with it. It shouldn't be a very long term thing, but if it was a case of masks in those places until April 22, I'd be ok with it. I think 80-90% of places they're required atm though they should be done away with as the rules just make no sense. Like they're required in the lobby area and halls of the cinema but not the actual screens. I'm pretty I can pass covid as easily in the screen as i can in the hall or when queuing for food like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Anecdotal. I know dozens of people and no one wears a mask at home. People wear masks in cars because they forget to take them off, happens to me all the time. Masks are not "popular", if there wasn't a reason to wear them (pandemic) we wouldn't be wearing them for "fun". It's a bizarre personal notion you've created to validate your position that we will all "have to" wear masks forever for some inane reason.

• Advertisement

Temporary means permanent in Ireland though so when they say long term, they definitely mean permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

Exactly, I'd often have one on in the car because I couldn't be ar$ed taking it off for the 5min drive home, or I'm going to another place that requires one. I'd never have one on at the start of my journey, but once its on I won't be on/off with it, I'll just keep it on til I'm finished what I'm doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

As if on cue,"The State" leaps over the fence to prove you correct......not much mention of the 96% ....perhaps they all died ?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0822/1242259-school-outbreaks/

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My first post in this thread since the shambolic mess that is the relaunch of this site, but this mask stuff is a clear example of Stockholm syndrome at this stage given our high levels of vaccination and the low level of risk that this vius actually poses to the vast majority in this country. The only thing we are protecting is the HSE's failure to properly spend the 20 billion+ they are allocated every year to where it needs to go.

I can't stand masks. I find them extremely uncomfortable and difficult and only wear if absolutely necessary and only as long as absolutely necessary. Where possible I use one of the plastic visors - still ridiculous, but less intrusive. I see mass disgarded everywhere, not worn properly or at all (hanging under the chin) and it's clearly only because of the threat of fines/legal action that most people are still complying.

The notion from someone above that masks are somehow now popular and everyone is grand with them is nonsense. If that was the case, the legal requirement would never have been mandated or extended. The reality is that NPHET/Government know that as soon as that disappears, so too will the masks - except on those still nervous or virtue signalling - which is fine as long as it's a choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

In the UK at the moment. Different world really. Nobody wearing masks really. If I was to put a percentage on it I’d say around 2/3% wearing masks indoors. No covid passports, none of the yellow warning signs. It’s just normal to be honest.

I just can’t understand the psychology of it all. Over here it seems they’ve just ploughed on. The fear mongering and restrictions I’ve been subjected to are making me think. Seeing people all around me behaving as if normal, do they worry about it all? Why are we so different across the pond?

UK have dealt with the pandemic extremely poorly from the off but that’s no reflection on where we are now. On what I’ve seen we may never even get to this level of normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Yes, the mandatory mask rules needs to go as soon as possible due to our vaccination levels. Common sense at some point should kick in surely...?? Those who are concerned can continue to wear them, no issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dont mean to sound frivolous but i'd say there are a fair number of people who, for a variety of reasons, are happy to be wearing masks in public full stop.

Yeah I know I'm only speculating that masks will eventually be gone and will be the last restriction to go but there has also been no statement from NPHET on them needing 100% vaccination to remove these restrictions

• Advertisement

It's not like masks are mandatory in every part of life, it's pretty much just certain hospitality settings, in shops, medical appointments and on public transport, it's advisory everywhere else.

Advertisement