Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam McCarthy Cup) 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeh it was a dismal effort in that side of things for Cork. For the amount of team possessions Limerick had, that tackle count correlation for Cork is likely a Championship low in 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

They didn't.

Cork travelled up Sunday morning on the train

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Would be interested to know if Cork club hurling is reflected in the county team, are games very open, loose marking etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

The refs tend to blow for every little contact, which results in a much less physical game

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

There has been a trend among Gaelic Football teams to shed bulk in the last 5 years, the distance players are covering in the modern game doesn't lend itself to carrying excess bulk and its more lean muscle as opposed to the bodybuilder type frame.

Hurling teams seem to be going for the bulk as the ball travels farther and players wouldn't have to cover the same distances in games and the extra heft would be an advantage in rucks etc. I'm only speculating here as I'm no hurling expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Throwing the sliotar is endemic in hurling now. All counties do it and it's destroying the spectacle of hurling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Hmm from limerick, yet a couple posts later you say fair play to limerick and her classy posters. All over the shop external association with all your accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

i would love if they banned the hand pass and all passes have to be off the hurl. It would make it great to watch and lads wouldn't be trying to break the tackle as much as they have to no easy out with a hand pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I watched Cork in the warm-up and they looked extremely nervous. There were loads of balls dropped, mis-controlled, missed altogether from lads that should be buzzing. There was a huge contrast between that and the Limerick boys warming up. I think that nervy mood stuck in the game too where the Cork lads were way off their man. I just couldn't see what Cork's plan was. Their short puckouts seemed to be "let's hit it short and see what happens". I lost count of how may were mis-controlled while under no pressure. Then, after 2 or 3 sideways passes, it was lumped forward, often by the goalie. The Cork full forward line esp. Jack O'Connor, want the ball in low in front of them and lumping it high played right into Limerick's hands. The only player that seemed to look before delivering good ball from the short puckouts was Coleman but he didn't get free enough to have any real impact. Contrast that with the times Limerick went short: the next pass went to a man moving forward who would either break a tackle or make a small run and give another good pass. Another funny was for a good few LK puckouts, every player was in 1/3 of the pitch, along either the Cusack or Hogan length of the pitch. It seemed that LK backed themselves physically to beat Cork on long high ball and it work a lot of the time. Also, there's no point in singling out the Cork full back line for playing poorly: I don't think any team in the country, possibly not even LK, could play with so much space between full and half back lines. Imagine Jack OConnor or Robbie OFlynn getting motoring into that much space.

On the comments re physicality, I'd agree in part that some of the stuff that's let go is too much but you have to play the way the game is refereed. I have no doubt that even if what is allowed was dialled back slightly, LK would still be dominant. Some of the skills and scores on show yesterday were sublime (and a couple of those were from Cork).

I'm in dreamland here. I can still remember the elation of winning Munster in the Gaelic Grounds in 2013 and Dodge lifting the cup. I have a picture of my young lad out on the pitch with a bloodied Shane Dowling and then another hero Gary Kirby! All Ireland wins seemed so far away then. Limerick fans out there, appreciate every second of it because the dominance won't last forever (another few years would be lovely though!!!)

Great idea. I'd love to see that trialled in a league or something.

It's pretty impossible on refs to call the handpass. Even on a slowed down shot on tv you can't 100% see. It's millimeters between hand and ball. And at speed

I'm not sure how it can be addressed really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fair enough if you think Cork are not the team to beat Limerick as it was a puck of all ball between them and Clare then fair enough but to suggest Tipp are still one of teams to compete is laughable when they too were given a ridiculous decision against same opposition. They are also a team that got whipped by 17 points in one half against Limerick(when they were on up), plus they lost themselves by 12 points in Munster final few years ago, and 9 points last year with Limerick pulling up on both. Only difference is Tipp were lucky they did not have play Limerick again in 2019.

I think Tipp are a lot closer than Cork, who were a beaten docket well before half time. If Gillane had got the deserved red card in the Munster final Tipperary may well have beaten them, although clearly they're not nearly as talented a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

That's a serious show by limerick yesterday. Men against boys and at a canter to. Game lacked any intensity and limerick just ate Cork alive. They are building an empire. Dare I say it, probably kk are the only county that would have at least put it to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The hand pass would probably be replaced by the kick-pass, good idea still though because something I've always wondered is how they differentiate between a throw and an accidental drop that happens to fall into somebody elses hand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

The amount of thrown balls yesterday was unbelievable. Very easy to spot on the tv but obviously less so if you’re the referee. I genuinely can’t remember the last time I saw a player pulled up for throwing a ball but Limerick are constantly at it, they work the ball so quickly it’s difficult to spot but the Tipp game, the semi against Waterford and yesterday Christ almighty I’d say there was 50 thrown balls over the three games.

KK are on a lull at the moment, Waterford and Wexford are on an upward curve, ones to watch for the next few seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Limerick are a good 10 points better than anyone, they are in a similar place to where Kilkenny were in 2007/8.The other teams have to raise their level and not hope that Limerick drop theirs, it can be done, Tipp in 2009 were unlucky to lose to Kilkenny and managed to topple them in 2010. It needs some county to do something similar, not sure whose best placed to do that, possibly Tipp again as they gave Limerick most trouble this year and have the U20 All Ireland winning teams coming through. Cork look along way behind on yesterday's performance and hard to see them beat Limerick in next 2 years until the U20 lads mature. Kilkenny are probably at their lowest ebb for a long time and don't seem to have much coming through from underage. Waterford just aren't good enough, probably already getting the best out of themselves so hard to see where they can mprove to close the gap. Galway are currently in a mess, big question marks over the management, Joe retired and probably a few more from the 17 team will follow too, so a few years before they'll challenge seriously again. Clare are too reliant on Tony Kelly, but, if they could get another 1 or 2 lads to take some of the burden off him, they'd be dangerous and could possibly challenge. Wexford and Dublin both very limited teams and not likely to challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Do that and every defender in the country will be grabbing hurls way more than they already do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Are wexford on the rise?

Two very flat seasons just gone by, Davy gone, I'm not sure they they will do much without him

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd love to know what Kingston said to his men after the game to try lift heads. Cork were comprehensively beaten in every facet of the game from minute 1 to minute 70 pretty much, I think Limerick took the foot off the gas in the second half as the game was won by half time.

Like if they were beaten by a few points you'd talk about needing to address a few wides or whatever, but this was a serious dismantling of a team. With any of the finals I've watched recently, usually the losing team would be there or there abouts with a few relatively minor tweaks to the panel / tactics, but there is no way you could say that yesterday.

Wouldn't envy Cork having to recover from this.

It's not hard to see someone holding someone elses hurl. Doesn't sound like much of a reason against it.

I remember people giving out about the pass from Coen to Canning in 2017 but the first two passes by Lynch yesterday for 1-1 were beyond blatant as he hadn't even the time to handpass legally(Coen at least did have the time).

But this is the GAA and despite having a yearly conference they can't even make the games fair with obvious changes, they just introduce silly things the masses didnt ask for.

Closer by a couple of points at best. And that's been generous. And the proof is in the results that both have had against Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

i think like you that a fully loaded Clare team with Duggan Kelly and O'Donnell up front could be the team to trouble Limerick.... i still wouldnt rule out Cork maybe not next year but the year after.... 2 years of development for a guy thats 20 years old now will turn them into men... just look at Kerry lads Sean o'Shea Paidi and David Clifford etc... serious development physically since 2019.... remember Kerry hockeyed Dublin in 2009 and Dublin were champions 2 years later.... Cork should try Tim O'Mahoney at full forward... they have zero presence in their inside line... Harnedy is ok at 11... and Cork play more direct hurling....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

Waterford are the number two team, but still a long way off Limerick. They've beaten pretty much everyone except for Limerick this season and last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's a massive reason against it. How will anyone ever pass the ball if defenders know all they have to do is grab, shield or block the hurley from coming up

And the throwing was really bad yesterday, Cian Lynch is always at it. They need to bring in a rule that it's underhand hand pass only and that there has to be a clear striking motion or something like that.

How do you monitor it though? Video ref is the only thing I can think of

Not really sure to be honest. Saying clear striking motion at least gives the refs some reason to give a free but would cause all sorts of post match analyses on frees given

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

My simple idea is that if you receive a handpass you can't give one. It doesn't remove handpassed completely, but it removes the option to over depend on them. The only downside is it increases mental load on players in the heat of the moment. I'm sure players would be able to adapt.

On the match, I was at it, surrounded by Limerick fans ( I got my ticket from a Limerick man). If I had to take a beating like that again, Limerick are a sound bunch in general. I can imagine far worse! Before the game I was saying that we have no hope starting a 35 year old at wing back, and the opposing fans agreed that Cads was a big weakness.

Until Cork start dominating defense like our Minors and U20's do, we are going nowhere. We need big men who can win their own ball and hurl - it's clear as day that you can't invent a tactic or gameplan to beat Limerick if you're not able to go man to man with them in the first place.

Congrats Limerick and best of luck with the 3 in a row.

Never easy I suppose but you can't buy experience. They have a game now that they can analyse, pick out all of the mistakes, explain what they might have done differently, tell lads that this is the standard they need to achieve if they want to win. They looked sick with nerves before the game but that's water under the bridge and if/ when they get back to a final, most will have been there before. Winners never quit and quitters never win: with good people in charge, yesterday's pain will be put to good motivational use in the future.

It's a shame to see Patrick Horgan go another year without a medal but the reason they're so coveted is that they're hard to win and nobody is handed one on merit alone. Think of all of the Limerick lads that don't have one: Gary Kirby, Ciaran Carey, TJ Ryan, Donal OGrady etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Based on what? Being the h ammered number 2 team after Cork? No medals for number 2 unfortunately.

If tipp get cahill back, i think in 2 years they will challenge limerick. Lot of unheralded young lads in tipp who havent been giving championship game time yet. Will need 2 winters to bulk up though.

No medals for second but others were discussing it earlier. Based on beating everyone except for Limerick in the last two seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just curious, how much of yesterday was down to Limerick and how much was down to Cork? Am I on my own in thinking Cork's performance yesterday was even more standout than Limerick's? I mean, things like the 2nd goal (only 4 outfield players visible on the TV screen throughout the move, 2 defenders not sure which of two - and only two - attackers they are charged with marking) and the constant dropping of the ball / failure to pick when under no pressure (let alone when under pressure) was just incredible. And I know Limerick suffocate teams, cause errors etc, but it was the unforced errors I'm talking about. Limerick the best team in the country today by far - but I reckon the current Tipp and Waterford teams would have taken Cork for 10 points+ and then some yesterday also.

wee bit obseessed when your other alias tomcat follows me to the crypto forum and posts a reply to me then deletes it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

I think given two years Cahill will get Tipp into a strong position to complete for the title of best of the rest.

I think that by the time this Limerick team are done they very will could be considered the greatest of all time. To me they looked like a team just finding top gear with even more room for improvement. The 2018 team mainly comprised 2015 and 2017 u21 winners with a huge cohort transitioning to starting positions that year and they went on to beat favourites Galway. Think about that for am moment. Anyone who saw them play u21 in 2017 new what was coming. I said it to friends that year that Limerick were going to win the All Ireland, and the only time I've been wrong about them since then was when they lost in 2019.

To me they dominate every facet of the game. The are tall, fit, strong, athletic, skilful, intelligent and operate as a unit so well it's almost telepathic. The last hope for the rest of us was to see if the running game could someone manage to put them under pressure, but the way their forwards attack the short puc out is phenomenal. The way their forwards create space and use it is top class. And if you have your 6 follow lynch or sit at home the result is the same because they adapt on the fly.

I do think the current situation is very like Kilkenny a few years ago, they are just way ahead of the competition, there's no one that can even give them a competitive game if they're tuned in.

The hope is that they won't always be as tuned in. They left the All Ireland behind in 2019 through a terrible start in the semi final. Also the Munster final was nearly gone this year and probably would have been had Gillane been dismissed.

You'd feel for Cork yesterday, I think Limerick could do that to any of the other top teams, it was just Cork's bad luck they were in their path. There's a lot Cork can learn from it though, they need to bring through a few hardy fellas throughout the field I think. Plus they need to be able to be more direct, when Limerick pushed up on the puck outs they were at sea a bit.

It's a long way off of course, and things can go wrong for Limerick, but really the core of that team should be good enough to win at least two more All Irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Kilkenny looked like they were going to win at least 3 more all-irelands in a row after the 23 point beating of Waterford in 2008. Yet, arguably, Tipp should have beaten them in 2009, and did in 2010.

I think the difference with Limerick is the freakish physiques all coming together at the one time, allied to their conditioning and relative youth. So even if a skills deficit is overcome by other counties Limerick have natural attributes that are difficult to counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Clare in Exile

I'm not sure if it was mentioned on The Sunday Game last night, but looking through all previous finals yesterday's Limerick scoring total was the highest ever in a final - including 80 minute finals. Their total at half-time would have been enough in itself to win many finals (including their win in 2018). Indeed, if Limerick hadn't scored a single point in the second half they would have still won the match.

There was great skill on display yesterday, but something has been lost in the regularity of long range points being popped over. I have to say the contest between Mayo and Dublin was much more enthralling, every score felt as if it counted, there was never a sense of it just being a routine occurrence.

I'm just waiting for a team to knock 40 points over the bar some day, the way the game is going it's only a matter of time before it happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

You call a foul where there is not clear separation between the hand and the ball. Initially you will get fouls awarded for legitimate or doubtful hand passes but players will quickly learn to handpass in such a manner that there is no doubt that the pass is legitimate. Limerick's first goal came from a thrown ball but it is hard to blame the referee or the player when the practice is widespread and not being penalised. It needs to be enforced rigidly from the start of the league along with enforcing steps. It is ridiculous that everyone can see Lynch throwing the ball for the first goal and it is ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I notice you conveniently forget that Tipperary beat Limerick in the Championship in 2019 in a game that Limerick needed to win to guarantee a Munster final appearance. Had Cork beaten Clare then Limerick would not have been in the Munster Final.

This narrative surrounding 2019 is absolute bullsh*t - that Limerick should have won the All Ireland when they lost 3 games in the Championship that year. Yes, 3 times they were beaten in a Championship and people go on as if they should have won it. Absolute rubbish.

Absolutely no surprise to see Cork get a hiding yesterday - they did extremely well to get to the final, well beyond their ability. They did as all Cork teams have done on the big occasion for the last 15 years and bottled it completely. Physically dominated and manhandled. No bottle, no fight, no heart. I could have written that about a dozen or more big Cork games over the last 15 years. Including at underage level when many of those players were beaten by Cahill's Tipperary in a final they were odds-on favourites for.

Cork will not be in another final next year. They had some good underage teams that were repeatedly beaten by Tipperary coming through now, but they are coming through to join up with many average senior players. They have had good underage success in the past week and last year so if those players and players from the 2018/2019 underage teams can come together under good management then they may be realistic contenders in 2023/2024. Most importantly, those underage players in the last week seemed to play with a bit more steel than you would associate with modern Cork. That will have to be kept but underage success means nothing in terms of senior level until it is successfully brought through. It does seem like there is just too much underage success at the moment in Cork for them not to be a threat in the coming years but they certainly aren't anywhere even remotely close yet and I expect Cork fans to have to wait a few years to win another AI. Losing in the manner they did yesterday also raises question marks over management that didn't exist at 3pm yesterday. It is not easy to recover mentally from such a humiliation.

As for the rest - it all depends on Cahill. If Tipperary get him back (and it seems likely right now) then with the experience and ability of the remaining older heads and bringing through the younger lads who Cahill won a minor, an u21 and an u20 with then in 2023 they might be able to have a realistic go of taking down Limerick. Without Cahill there isn't a hope really - if somebody from Sheedy's backroom team like Egan takes over then you can write Tipperary off until Cahill takes over. I don't mean any disrespect to Egan by saying that, but fresh ideas and a fresh approach are badly needed now. If Cahill isn't taking over now, that might be enough squandered time to waste the potential of the underage teams Cahill won with. Underage success means nothing in the context of senior until those lads are brought through.

Clare look like they are progressing under Lohan but it doesn't look like that progression is ever going to lead to a realistic challenge to Limerick.

Waterford looked both very poor and very good this year at times - but have they reached their ceiling? And if they lose Cahill then who do they bring in?

Galway may end up in an All Ireland final next year despite the mess there at the moment purely due to Leinster looking to be far, far easier to get out of than Munster if the round robin returns. There isn't much between the 4 teams after Limerick in Munster and every game is going to have to be played at a ferocious pace to get out of Munster. However if you put any of the 5 Munster teams into Leinster next year I rate them to qualify. So because of that, Galway will probably be best placed to take on Limerick next year and I don't expect it to be the capitulation of Cork, it'll probably look closer to the games Limerick had v Waterford this year and last with a few extra goals involved.

I can't give Kilkenny any chance for next year after they blew it against a Cork team they should have been beating. Wexford may improve after a change in management and new ideas but there is a lot of miles on the clock there too.

TLDR - Nobody will challenge Limerick next season. Tipperary best placed in 2023 if Cahill comes back as looks likely - and brings through his underage teams. Cork will probably need until 2024 to realistically see the fruits of the underage teams last year and this year, along with the current crop who are breaking through - the losing underage sides of 18/19 - to challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Cummins said on TSG last night that their half-time score would have won 109 of the previous finals, including their own win in 2018.

I think what happened yesterday was similar to what happened to Waterford in the semis. The first 10-15 minutes or so both teams managed to barely stay in touch but Limerick just kept building momentum until eventually both teams more or less collapsed under the pressure of it.

Did they? Certainly not if you were paying any attention.

Tipperary should have been in the 2008 final and it certainly would have been a better game. Unbeaten league winners (having beaten Kilkenny in the League Semi Final), Munster final winners and were a young team caught cold by a 5 week break - allowing Waterford to build up a massive lead in the Semi which Tipperary struggled to reel back. I was there that day in 2008 and I knew immediately that Waterford were going to get a hammering in the final.

There was quite obviously another team on the horizon then - there certainly isn't now.

Absolutely no surprise to see Cork get a hiding yesterday - they did extremely well to get to the final, well beyond their ability. They did as all Cork teams have done on the big occasion for the last 15 years and bottled it completely. Physically dominated and manhandled. No bottle, no fight, no heart. I could have written that about a dozen or more big Cork games over the last 15 years. Including at underage level when many of those players were beaten by Cahill's Tipperary in a final they were odds-on favourites for.

Geez, that's harsh. They were beaten by a better team. That's not to say they didn't try their absolute best or train their socks off and make sacrifices that would probably make your eyes water this year.

Don't kick a team when they're down, it's not fair, especially coming from lads who might at worst get a blister on the finger from all the typing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Kilkenny did wiln 3 of the next 4 All Irelands upto 2012 (5 of next 7 upto 2015) Looking at their age profile this Limerick team could be around for the best part of 5 years, they are likely to win at least 2 or 3 more All Ireland's, all their main rivals are at some stage of transition or have question marks over management. Tipp & Wexford looking for new managers, Waterford could lose Cahill to Tipp which would set them back a bit, question marks over management at Galway, Clare and even Cody at Kilkenny, Cork will need a few additions from their U20 teams which will take time. If Cahill goes to Tipp they could emerge as the main challengers with a mix of the U20 teams and experienced lads from 2016/19. If Clare hold onto Lohan and can find 1 or 2 lads to take some of the burden off Kelly they could mount a challenge too.

Right now Limerick have the best team and management set up and well ahead of everyone else, but, all it takes is injuries to key players, a drop in level or hunger and for opposition to raise theirs for the gap to close. Hard to see any team close the gap fully in one year, but, realistically teams have to use the next year to try to close the gap, (but, should also be ready if they get Limerick on a bad day next year) and then mount a serious challenge in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

League and championship were worlds apart. Tipp had very young players in 2008.

Fact, and it is fact, they couldn't beat Waterford in the 2008 semi. Who were beaten home in the final. Should've means nothing.

Tipp came on in leaps and bounds in 2009 as the 2006/07 minors matured. Very quickly, more quickly than expected.

Cork have won 2 of their last 8 All Ireland Semi Finals, including managing to find defeat in ways that did not seem possible.

Yesterday was the worst capitulation from a team in an All Ireland final since Waterford in 2008, and that Waterford team was a side nearing the end of it's cycle. It was the biggest score ever conceeded by a team in an All Ireland final. Cork players completely gave up as early as the 20th minute. No fight, they stopped working, running, closing down. They gave up.

Many of these Cork players capitulated the same way vs Tipperary in 2018 in the U21. There were priced at 1/5 with the bookies to win that game - Limerick were 1/3 to beat Cork yesterday which gives you an idea how how favoured Cork were in that game in 2018 - and they bottled it.

Every team makes sacrifices - it's part and parcel of the game. Cork aren't unique in making sacrifices. Club players (including myself) make sacrifices. All of that means f all when you decide you're beaten 20 minutes into an All Ireland Final. Even if you're outmatched, you still make a game of it, make it hard for the other team. You still put in effort and work. They were awful yesterday.

• Advertisement

Advertisement