Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

kane wont go until spurs have a replacement got imo,the price for them will multiply if kane goes first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I did see reports that spurs "agreed" a deal with inter for Martinez but also seen there's reports that his agent is meeting with Inter today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

City getting ready to move on from Kane I wonder

A younger and cheaper striker.

Second Arsenal signing of the day.

Arsenal spending big this summer.

• Advertisement

Must be over 130 million arsenal have spent so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Is Ramsdale going to be the number one keeper because it seems mad to spend 24 million on him just to sit on the bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I’d be guessing that’s the plan eventually. There was talk of Leno looking for a move this summer and he’s not all that anyway. Personally I haven’t seen enough of Ramsdale to comment on him but everyone else seems to be sniggering 😬

Either have I but there's a lot of jokes about it and some unhappy fans. I do keep seeing that Ramsdale was with Chesterfield,Sheffield United and Bournemouth who all got relegated with him in the squad. Arsenal currently 22/1 to get relegated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ramsdale isnt a Premier League keeper.

The Championship is where he belongs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I find it strange that the Lukaku signing has been met with universal approval. He is not a different player to what he was at United. He will score plenty of goals against weaker opponents, but the same old problems will reappear and he will slow up Chelsea's play at crucial moments. Personally, even though Werner was poor last season, I think he deserved another season based on how he fits in to the system, stretches defences, creates space for all their number 10s, and general selflessness. If his finishing improved which is a definite possibility based on history, then I think he is a better player.

By the way, one quote there is nothing to do with my post, but I quoted it weeks ago, didn't post a comment and it seems I have no option to remove it. Vanilla Boards.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,827 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Lewi saying he wants a new challenge today ,Kane must be crapping himself thinking City will go for him even at 33

If Kane wants out so badly why doesn’t he give up his loyalty bonus and hand in a transfer request. I’m sure City would reimburse the loyalty bonus he would lose out on.

he has made it clear as day he wants out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Is handing in a transfer request even a thing anymore? He's already said he wants to leave.

Bayern want 100m for 33 year old Lewandowski, effectively hes not for sale so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think there’s two reasons really - even though we all know he wants to go to City, a transfer request is like an extra stab in their relationship with the fans. Torres submitting a transfer request for instance was fairly gutting - switched it from ‘this move might happen’, to ‘get me the fck out of here!’. Now, in Kane’s case he’s probably verging on that anyway, but with his written statement the other day, and his training Instagram post yesterday he’s clearly trying to keep his image intact.

The other one, as mentioned, is money. Some contracts have loyalty payments in them that gets them either a % of the selling clubs fee, or a lump sum per year. (many players sold probably don’t especially want to be sold, so it’s like a built in protective sweetener in their contract). Submitting a transfer request usually cancels that.

lewa to psg,mbappe to madrid ..??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Lewa is not going anywhere this year and he knows that. He and his Management use the same tactic every summer to get an improved contract. Bayern is not going to sell their only remaining world class player for any amount, unless they have a replacement lined up. That replacement could be Haaland next summer, in which case a move in 2022 could be on the cards.

As much as I like him, but which team would realistically pay 100mil. for a 33 year old striker who is on 400K a week? In case of a move I assume he would be looking for slight pay increase, so a 3 year deal for him could easily cost 190 mil. (100 mil. transfer, 75mil salary over 3 years & 15 mil. sign on and manager fees etc.). And that's just mad money.

• Advertisement

Lukaku may not be to different but Chelsea are very different to United ,

Just look at recent history United don't usually go for forwards like Lakaku but Chelsea do Drogba, Costa, Giroud, even Abraham, Higuain , Crespo , Eto all not very mobile lads in there time there all love to stay high & central

Lukaku suit's Chelsea he did not suit United for that matter he would not suit City or Liverpool either ,

Horses for courses and all that ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Surely Raul Jiminez is the player Nuno wants if Kane goes? Perfect replacement imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Imagine Traore though, with Son and Moura as a front 3, lightning fast

He has led the line for various clubs now and a national team full of stars but have any of those teams ever really competed for the biggest prizes? Are top teams really worried about Lukaku?

Serie A was the first thing of note he has won and it is not a great standard these days.

He is a very good goalscorer but his limitations put limitations on how far a team can go.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

My guess is Lukaku will outscore all of Cavani, Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Jesus, Mane, Jota and Firmino. He'll be top scorer for Chelsea and very close if not higher than Kane and Salah.

Lukaku is a very good front man and he'll help Chelsea massively in a push for the title.

Did you say the same thing about Henrik Larson when he joined Barcelona?

Dwight Yorke before he went to United?

Fact of the matter is that any conversation today about the best centre forwards in world football include Lukaku.

He has just kept improving himself over the years and at 28 is now rated at the very top of the game.

I don't get where you are going with your thoughts there.

I think some people put Lakaku in the same kind of bracket as Bruno Fernandes was getting put in last season (i'm not syaing they are right on either) ,

As in they are great players but for some reason fall short in the biggest games and don't make an impact,

The Euro's being the perfect example for both,

I think Lakaku has matured & is a far better player now but we shall all find out soon enough ,

• Advertisement

Everton sign former Liverpool 4th choice keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lonergans having a grand lil career renaissance as a 3rd choice keeper last few years.

Was with West Brom last year after leaving Pool.

Handy gig for a veteran keeper.

He's very good,Kane and Salah are world class..

Football really has lost the plot a 1 billion release clause for a 33 year old.

Exactly. Some people who let's be honest probably haven't seen much of him for the last two years suddenly think he's one of the world's best players because of the price tag.

He is one of the world's best centre forwards, he is in that conversation along with Benzema, Kane, Mbappe, Haaland and Lewandoski,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Out of interest how much have you seen of Lukaku and how do you define World Class?

For me Lukaku was fantastic for Inter and his form came on the back of changes in his preparation, his approach, his skillset and his outlook on the game. He changed in Italy and has made improvements since leaving England.

One clear thing to anyone who looks at him play is that he still has all his best attributes but has improved his play and his fitness levels. Anyone who listens or reads what he has to say will also see he is mentally in a stronger places since leaving United. Having a better physique, understanding of his body and also working within an environment he wants to be in will help him play to a higher level across the season.

He is now also creating opportunities for others which is a massive improvement for him and something that will be of great benefit to Chelsea. He appears to have a far better understanding of his position as a no 9 than he ever had playing in England. Last season for Inter he has the most goals, assists, chanced created and successful dribbles on the ball. That all demands attention of defenders and leads to spaces opening up for others.

Its the big games isn't it ,

People want to see him score the big goals in the big games when they come around,

Just out of interest would you called Immobile world class he has out scored Lakaku over the last two Seria A season's by 9 goals in a worse side but i wouldn't call him world class either,

Both very good strikers but not world class in my opinion ,

Lukaku's goal scoring record is pretty damn good it's pretty much 2 goals in every 3 games at club and international.

Even if he is just a flat track bully for Chelsea against the bottom 13/14 teams that pretty much guarantees Chelsea 26 to 28 wins in the league before taking on there rivals for the title and you had in the rest of that forward line it puts them favorites for me unless City get Kane.

Yeah, this is it for me... it doesn't really matter if he's world class, or just very good - he's coming into a team that didn't have a goalscorer, and whatever category of goalscorer you want to call him, he's undeniably a goalscorer. That's automatically going to improve an already very good team, and gives them an option they simply didn't have. He's also a huge disruptor, which is what you want in those troublesome games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Watched Lukaku in the odd Sunday night Serie A game & a couple CL games last season and he was fantastic.

One game that stood out was this Lazio game where he scored 2 but his best contribution was setting up the 3rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Madrids fire sale continues, letting go of a very promising young player for £30m, all just to try to gather funds to bid for Mbappe.

They really are so badly managed it's untrue. Surely Odegaard could have been a good replacementfor Kroos, who is way past his sell by. Their midfield was overrun in CL last year and shown to be too old, yet they do this now.

All their eggs in one basket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'm just delighted we've signed Odegaard permananetly. :D

I'm a united and Inter fan so I have seen a lot of him and he was much better at Inter in an undeniably weaker league. Whether that means he improved or was just playing against worse opposition I guess we will find out. Inter certainly didn't do anything in Europe however last season, and I don't think top defenders are concerned about Lukaku.

Look, Chelsea are the European champions. Lukaku is going to give them another option and his goals will win points for them, and he probably will score 20-30 league goals. What I am saying is that, based on what I have seen of him at United, and with similar strikers, is that he might just be taking goals away from others, and maybe slowing up the play and mis-controlling the ball at important times. I'm not convinced his contribution will be such a net positive that it is worth anything like £97.5m.

I don't think he is in the same class at all as Lewandowski, Ronaldo at 36, Mbappe, Kane, or even Haaland and Benzema. I don't think it was even considered by most before this transfer that he would be of similar stature as all of those players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

That burst of pace at 3:09 is impressive. He is very fast for such a big man.

In Lukaku's last season with Everton he got 25 league goals. He doens't even need to improve, he just needs to be used correctly. Everton used him right, Jose didn't, Inter did, Belgium do. And I'd guess Chelsea will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Those who don't rate Lukaku as world class haven't seen more than a handful of his games since he left United. The idea top defenders aren't concerned about him is laughable. There is no striker on the planet that bullies CBs the way Lukaku does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Spurs in for Adama Traore on loan with £40m purchase option after that.

I hadn't previously noticed but it looks like this would be the 3rd summer signing by Spurs of a loan with option to buy for big money. Is money tight in Spurs or they do not know whether Kane will leave or not. Getting the players in now for lower amounts, and if he leaves then they can pay next year when the money has already come in. If Kane stays, they are 'only' stuck with the loan payment and can chose whether to sign the players or not next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Why would Wolves be willing to do a deal like that? Surely it'd have to be an obligation to buy rather than an option, otherwise they're just losing one of their key players for a season for basically nothing if Spurs don't buy him next year.

Aren't Wolves owned by Chinese investors? I think there's something going on where China are restricting the use of wealth outside of China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They did a very flexible deal with Liverpool for Jota, Liverpool will pay more for him but paid like 5m up front.

I still think he's a poor buy though, he still just doesn't have the end product you expect.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement