Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam McCarthy Cup) 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

A lot to agree with here, though I don't see why KK should have beaten Cork this year, there's nothing special about them, and for all their (now) faults, Cork were way pacier than them. As I've said previously, Waterford probably have the most scope for improvement next season, but a change of manager could find them landing on a snake rather than a ladder again - who knows? Galway should be better, they could scarcely be worse, and it's easy to forget they had a really good league campaign. They may lose more to retirement, (Limerick will retire a number of players and managers I feel), and need to evolve their playing style and introduce more pace - whether this also necessitates a new manager is a moot point.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Yes I know, a fact that is always brought up by Cork fans to hang their hat on as a team that 'has no fear of Limerick'.

My point is that they weren't the only team to beat Limerick that year, and you tried to make out that Tipperary were afraid of Limerick in 2019 or if they had met again would have certainly been beaten - conveniently ignoring that Tipperary had already beaten Limerick that year.

There is also a narrative that the Tipperary championship win v Limerick was in a dead rubber, which it wasn't.

That was something I wanted to point out before I went and offered a full prediction of the coming years which nobody asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

The narrative that limerick were unbeatable is fine in hindsight, but in reality they weren't. As a poster above said, they lost three times in the 2019 championship. Last year they hung on against Galway. It was the mark of a great team apparently. For me it was an example of a winning team needing that little bit luck. They never managed to close out the game, there was an element of luck that galway never managed to take advantage. Even this year the first half against tipp showed that they don't always perform. They managed to rise it in the second half, but no team can do than regularly.

The truth is that if they play close to their best, no team can beat them. Because they are the best and it's fair to say now a genuinely great team. But no team plays close to their best every week. I'd say Waterford or tipp at their best would have a great chance against limerick. Possibly Galway, I'm not sure how much they've fallen. I think for kk, clare or cork to do it you'd need a very poor limerick performance by their standards, but it's certainly possible. I'm not sure I can see wexford or Dublin do it at all at the moment, but I'd love to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I never said anything about being afraid. Stop moving the goalposts.

All im saying is that people who think Tipp would have given Limerick a game have no proper basis to go on from previous games.

I was actually more having pop at limerick about 2019 results as Kiely got it badly wrong about what to do that year but the KK result in semi changed it all.

If you're a Kilkenny side managed by Brian Cody - a manager that knows more than any other manager in the history of the sport to win games that you have no business winning - and you've won Leinster, and you're coming up against a Cork side that has lost 6 of their last 7 All Ireland Semi Finals, I think if you're a Kilkenny supporter you are absolutely disgusted that you've lost that game.

• Advertisement

How is there no proper basis going off previous games?

They gave them the biggest scare they have gotten this year. I don't like bringing up the red card issues because they shouldn't have needed them to win, but if Gillane gets a red there, considering his involvement in the rest of the game and how crucial he was - Tipperary win that game.

The first half was the most Limerick have been outplayed in years. There was a template there at the very least for others to follow.

And Tipperary have a win against Limerick in 2019, the same as Cork. So yes, I'd be quite confident in saying that this Tipperary team who have been regular winners would have put up a better showing yesterday. I think the same about a few other teams. It doesn't matter anyway as Tipperary had no business playing Limerick again if they couldn't beat Waterford, but I'd need to move onto my second hand before I run out of teams to count who I'd think would at least have more bottle than Cork yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Biggest scare? Ya and what happened after that? they lost a half by 17 points! 17!

Sure if the Cork backs had been alert the second goal things might been little different on scoreboard for cork(limerick would still have won well) but ifs buts and maybes make no difference now.

Hurling is a 70 minute game. Cork matched limerick for 33 minutes the first day too. But then whollop limerick came alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Cork didnt even try to get dirty, i dont care when your getting bet like that id rather see my team get angry and physical, at least get a few yellows or something. Few flicks to the helmets ala hegarty was needed in my opinion. Lads need to put their bodies on the line, other teams would not have lied down as much as cork yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

The Tipperary v limerick round Robin game in 2019 was more or less a dead rubber as Limerick had already qualified for the quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Cork's arrogance cost them. They believed their own hype, the red wave, the red tide. Rebels.

They believed they could beat Limerick man to man based on scraping over the line against an average Kilkenny team. Didn't think they'd need to man mark Lynch.

The Cork players seem to under estimate the intensity Limerick would bring in the middle third. Cork brought no intensity from the second quarter. Their full back line were left to be slaughtered with Limerick picking passes from out the field unopposed.

• Advertisement

Limerick had not won a Munster in 6 years. It wasn't a dead rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Limerick were good enough to win it in 2019, but, got it badly wrong and lost 3 matches so can't really complain about not winning the All Ireland that year, in hindsight 2019 was probably the making of this team as they used it as a motivating factor to drive on and not let standards slip, they are reaping the rewards now. Also nearly every other county can point to years where they had a team good enough to win an All Ireland but, left it behind them.

They knew the worst case scenario was a quarter final though.... big difference to a do or die game. Kiely spoke yesterday about timing their run to try and peak for the big day.... that was even more important in 2019 with the extra round robin games. It was all going to plan until KK got an unbelievable start in the semi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Back in the day when goals were worth 5 points was the last time a team had a higher scoring total in the final.

Cork in 1894 (45 points total) 5-20 to Dublin’s 2-00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Those stats are a bit meaningless though given the way scoring has gone. I suspect Cork's score of 1-22, on a day they were pretty much humiliated, would have won 90%+ of All Ireland's also.

Absolutely... That's why 2019 still sticks in their craw (limerick) as they were easily the best team in the country that year. That's why I think they would have preferred KK in this years final

Post edited by Charlie69 on

They lost 3/6 games, tipp won7/8 that year. Those are the facts.

You are entitled to your opinion but in my opinion the last thing that cost Cork yesterday was arrogance. They were clearly very nervous in my opinion with some very skillful young Cork hurlers unable to perform basic skills on the day. If you ignore the noisy 1%, 90%+ of Cork supporters thought we were up against it in advance of yesterday - but most of us thought we would turn up and thus thought the match would be a helluva lot closer (and, yes, that we might even nick it if the stars alligned).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Look lads alot happens in a year. If Linerick are as good next year they will take some stopping but every year takes its toll and who knows what happens next year with new panels and talents etc. Limerick are the benchmark and others will be playing catch up.

Post edited by Speakerboxx on

Let's be honest they showed who the better team was in the Munster final... they messed up against Kilkenny but were easily the top team in the country. Of course that wasn't Tipps fault and fair play to them for taking full advantage.

• Advertisement

We'll agree to disagree, this limerick team is alot better then 2019 version who were shoddy in many matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Yep. Limerick were beaten in a knockout game by a fairly average KK side. Not exactly the form of "easily the best team in the country", because of course they weren't.

They won the Munster final by 12 points pulling up lads... as you said we'll agree to disagree.

Agree with those who question the narrative around Limerick in 2019. They were beaten 3 times. At best, at very best, they were denied a 65, from an angle, to get to extra time in a semi. Had they scored that 65, had there not been any more points, had they then won in ET, they then would had to have played a Tipp team in the final who were clearly capable of beating them.

In the sense that they lost a semi by a point, and didn't even get to extra time, strictly speaking they were further from winning the All Ireland than Cork in 2018 (who got to ET in a semi) and KK this year (who were beaten once, not three times remember).

Not denying that at their best Limerick would have beaten everyone else in 2019, but they didn't perform at their best 3 separate times so no hard luck there. The only thing that separates their 1 point loss from any other such loss is that the controversial decision came at the very end. But there are such controversies over 70 minutes in every match and I suspect KK can point to some wrong calls earlier in that match which in turn cost them a point or points.

None of which takes away from the present Limerick team who are deservedly 3 time champions - but not (well yet!) 4 in a row winners or entitled to claim to be....

Cork should have won in 2010 so, they bet us by 10points. Anyway, well leave it at that. going around in circles, all entitled to our opinion.

Cork were nowhere near the best team in 2010 though.... Listen I'm not having a go at Tipp at all, as I said they took full advantage of the situation and fair play to them but Limerick will know they left that one behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Just a thought, but, maybe Tipp weren't that interested in winning Munster that year and had planned to peak for later in the year, also losing the Munster final wasn't the end of the road as they had their eye on another All Ireland title.The bulk of that Tipp team had won a few Munsters at that stage but only 1 or 2 All Irelands and would have felt they should have won more. Winning another All Ireland was Tipp's main priority that year, a Munster title was not the priority, Limerick hadn't won a Munster since 2013 so it meant more to them, also the fact they couldn't beat an average Kilkenny in the semi is proof they didn't deserve to win the All Ireland in 2019, Tipp beat the same Kilkenny by 14 points a few weeks later. Limerick losing in 2019 doesn't take away from the current team, but, also Tipp should be given the credit they deserve for winning in 2019, they won the matches that mattered.

There's absolutely no chance of a Tipp team not trying in a munster final... anyway I've said enough on this now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

It is far easier to say that Limerick were the best team in 2019 now. At the time they were capable of the best performances but got caught by Kilkenny, fair and square. Limerick weren't quite consistent enough to ensure they won those games. (They nearly were)

Given how dominant they have been over the last two years, its clearer now who was the most talented squad in the 2019 semis. Going into the games, it was seen as a very equal championship where any of the four teams winning wouldn't have surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

To sum up: if my aunty had balls, she'd be my uncle...

Something very similar from yesterday's match programme:

Yet earlier you insinuated that Limerick weren't arsed about being in one, when you declared that the Tipp Limerick game that Tipp won was a dead rubber for Limerick.

So there's no chance of Tipperary not trying in a Munster Final (I agree), but Limerick didn't care about making it into a Munster Final (absolute bull).

Imagine trying to claim that a team that lost 3 times, 3 times! in an All Ireland Championship left it behind them.

You have said enough on this now alright, enough rubbish.

I didn't say that limerick didn't care about the Munster final.... I only said they had the safety net of a quarter final if they didn't make it... Jesus take it easy... stop taking things so personally.

A far, far more interesting hypothetical than the 2019 talk is what would have happened if Clare had kept Paul Kinnerk after 2013? Afaik there's one or two others in the Limerick backroom staff who were with that 2013 team too (could be wrong though)?

Clare were in a similar position in 2013 as Limerick were in 2018, I honestly (perhaps naively) thought they'd win more.

I don't think Kinnerk is the sole reason for Limerick's success obviously, just curious as to where Clare would be if they'd kept him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

I heard a rumour Kinnerk is coming to Laois..wanted a new (huge) challenge 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭BarneyJ

Agreed. There was no arrogance in the team. They are a very young team and the occasion got to them I think. They'll be very disappointed with themselves but listen they'll pick themselves up and go again next year. As someone else said on this thread, they have a lot of reasons to be optimistic for the future given the successes of the u20s, the minor team and also UCC's Fitzgibbon Cup victories of 2019 and 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I was evaluating this Limerick team vs the 4-in-a-row Kilkenny team, and its the width of a cigarette paper between them.

GK: Quaid unquestionably better than any of the KK incumbents, and up there with Damien Fitzhenry as the best of the modern era.

Full back line: Sean Finn and Jackie Tyrrell are peerless at 2 and 4. Hickey and afterwards Delaney were strong full backs, but Dan Morrissey is in the same mould as JJ in terms of dropping back seamlessly. Probably go with Hickey as an out and out full-back.

Half back line: so competitive. For me, Tommy and JJ are two of the best hurlers I have ever seen so have the wing back positions locked in. Would go with Byrnes at 6, he is quietly becoming the highest scoring defender in history and is possibly under-rated.

Midfield: Michael Fennelly and Cian Lynch. Combining guile, trickery and consistency.

Half forward line: Tom Morrissey, Henry Shefflin, Eoin Larkin. Larkin was the ultimate team player, although Hegarty fills the role well too. Morrissey has to be one of the most consistent scorers from half-forward in modern history, and Henry is Henry.

Full forward line: Eddie Brennan, Seamus Flanagan, Aaron Gillane. Brennan's goal-scoring record in big games puts him in, Flanagan is the best full-forward in the modern game, and Gillane is a freak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Actually did Kinnerk leave Clare right after the 2013 campaign or was it when Davy Fitz left as manager? Was there a falling out or did he just decide to go back to his native county instead?

Speaking as someone not from Limerick, I think the only hope us other competing counties have is that he might eventually want to get back into gaelic football as that was his first sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Clare in 2013 had very strong teams challenging for the All Ireland at the time. Outside of Limerick having a ridiculous team everyone else seems to be either building or winding down. I don't think anyone outside Limerick would claim to have a vintage county team right now

Mulcahy breaking Downey hurl was the most unsporting moment I have ever seen in the field of play for long time. An absolute disgrace. He's a passenger on that team anyway. Let his team down. Kiely won't like that. That's not what Limerick are about. A scummy thing to do.

Post edited by Speakerboxx on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

It was in retaliation for Downey's pull on Lynch, the microphone picks it up. TBH it was no better than Gillane's pull on Barrett in the Munster final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

It was a heat of the moment thing, lots going on and he did something that he will probably regret. He done his time so you dig about being a passenger are uncalled for. As for being scummy. I’ll leave that with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is the water breaks being done away with next year? They stop a team building momentum. It's really a farce having them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

On the hand passing debate, you could easily add an accelerometer/gyro to the slitor to determine if its a throw (linear acceleration), or a hit ( sudden acceleration).

Obviously the G limits of each would need to be determined, but probably achievable with a simple system, if not a bit of AI/deep learning! (can solve anything that stuff, these days)

Then the question is how to alert the ref?

Maybe with the "hit", off both hand and hurl or any other impact, the slitor could flash 3 times to show this, with built in LEDs (robust LEDs)?

Or some wireless Comms, to the ref, to give him an electric shock with each hit :-), with the level of shock directly related to the volume of the crowd noise!

I didn't headbutt a player or break a players hurley on purpose or did a judo throw on a player and landed on his head. Or take a swipe at an opposing player with a hurl and get away with it. That's what Limerick players being doing in last few matches and are being playing on the edge now and being getting away with it with JPs money and brown envelops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The hurley thing was low I agree but I have no problem with Lynch's response to getting punched in the neck from behind. Someone comes up behind me like that I'm gonna try put him on the floor too.

As for low insinuating that Limerick are bribing referees is a new low for you

Not sure on Kinnerk tbh, it was just an idle thought really.

Wrt to other counties chances, all regimes age and nearly all master tacticians eventually stay on too long. That'll come for Limerick too. As someone who was there for many, many bad days, I just hope we can keep driving on for as long as possible.

It's mad how the dirty pulls one's own team makes are always accidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qa6vahCnhI - 1:07 there.

Didn't look nor sound like an accident tbh. I actually think lynchs response was to that as well and he just thought Tim O'Mahoney did it. Again amazing how the narrative can be changed to suit yer own agenda!

• Advertisement
Advertisement