Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build for Cyberpunk 2077

Options
  • 22-11-2020 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I previously received some excellent advice about a new build resulting in:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor (£196.79 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.2 CFM CPU Cooler (£42.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (£99.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£138.92 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£89.94 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AORUS Video Card (£625.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox MB500 ATX Mid Tower Case (£64.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£85.47 @ Amazon UK)
    Monitor: Iiyama - G-MASTER RED EAGLE 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor (£349.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master - MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Red) Wired Standard Keyboard (£72.84 @ Amazon UK)
    Mouse: Logitech - G305 (Black) Wireless Optical Mouse (£51.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Total: £1818.24
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-22 18:33 BST+0100

I am looking to either upgrade this or build a new PC to really enjoy all that Cyberpunk 2077 has to offer. I'd appreciate some expert advice as to whether upgrading or a new build is the way to go.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'd wait until the B450 boards are BIOS updated in Jan and be going for a 5600X (Maybe vanilla 5600 by then) and your choice of the new generation of GPUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

You're only one generation behind with that gear, it's not worth upgrading on the basis of the tech that is widely available today, i.e. nVidia GeForce 2000, Ryzen 3000, AMD Radeon 5000 etc. Especially since your gear is not horribly out of date, I'd suggest more strongly than normally to wait until there is more stock and more options in the emerging ranges of nVidia Ampere (3000 series) and Radeon RX 6000 graphics cards, and Ryzen 5000 (Zen 3) CPUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Buying a 2600x for 200 quid seems insane to me tbh.

Buying a 2600x for 200 quid seems insane to me tbh.

That's his old build :)

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

What resolution do you aim to play that, you current specs exceed the requirements for Ultra settings excluding ray tracing at 1440P according to the official specs for the game. If you want ray tracing all you really need to do is upgrade your GPU to a 3070 or 3080 depending on what resolution you want to game at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The only worthy upgrade here would be an RTX 2080 Ti or 3080 for raytracing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

He has a 144hz monitor so really I would say a 3700X and 6800XT/RTX3080 is golden.

Obviously can get a 5800X either but would have to wait until bios is available for that board.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Bemused

Cheers for the prompt replies gents. I think on balance I'll wait and go for a new build in the new year. Is the B450 the MB you would recommend Sam?

Bemused wrote: »
    Cheers for the prompt replies gents. I think on balance I'll wait and go for a new build in the new year. Is the B450 the MB you would recommend Sam?

I think it hangs in the balance whether or not MSI are going to release a BIOS update for the Tomahawk non-MAX. I'm open to correction there. If they do I'd simple keep the Motherboard and slot in a 5600 (X or non-X) and upgrade the GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

Bemused wrote: »
    In deciding whether or not to keep the B450 board I'd suggest there are two things to consider:

1) As Sam said, when and if you can get an updated BIOS for it that will support Zen 3 processors.
    2) How long you are planning to use the new build system. (Or, how likely you will be to need PCI Express Gen 4 during the new systems' lifetime).

Nutshell version is that your B450 board will probably serve you well for the near future (assuming it supports Zen 3) and Socket AM4 is now a dead-end platform as Zen 3 will be the last processor family launched on it, hence not much point in spending money on the platform, per-se. But the B550 chipset offers support for PCI Express Gen 4, and would provide enough lanes for a graphics card (16x) and high speed NVME drive (4x). If you're planning to keep your new rebuild for a long time, you might consider future proofing it with a new B550 board, as PCIE Gen 4 may be more important in the years to come.

But if you're going to do another new/rebuild in a couple of years time anyway you'll be moving to a new platform, most likely AMD AM5, and money spent on a new AM4 board in the meantime would be wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Bemused

Kiki,

I followed your advice in the first place for this build that has served me very well, thanks. I see the 3060 is out now - am I better off waiting for the 3080, especially if I plan on getting a Reverb G2 VR headset too? Will my PSU be adequate for it all?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's a decent PSU so it should be good enough for an RTX 3080 (e.g. compared to here).

The RTX 3060 is not an upgrade from GTX 1080 Ti.

If you're getting a reverb you'll definitely want the 3080 or better performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Advertisement