Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and Nato withdrawal from Afghanistan...- threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

With the amount of civilians around the airport, and battle breaking out could be disastrous. But I'd agree that any attack by the Taliban should be met with an overwhelming response.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Maybe speaking from ignorance (?)..but the Taliban attacking the airport if the US/foreigners using it do not leave seems very unlikely to me. Would it not make more sense for them to just isolate the airport after the deadline and prevent anyone else getting in (or out?). I think that would render the evacuation effort pointless. Can't see the US/their allies being willing to send soliders out to push back the Taliban to clear routes for more people to be evacuated (edit: similar to Taliban themselves attacking the airport, that could end up with a disaster and a lot of civilians dying).

Other option might be to do the opposite, sit back and just allow chaos + an open season (again perhaps stopping evacuations and making a massive headache for the US/allies at the airport).

What's the role for the Irish Army rangers in Afghanistan?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

The problem is that the Taliban has already scared the shite ( and more ) out if them, to the extent that they are presently living in a climate of fear,,unable to think and plan beyond escape.In Kabul alone in less than 18 mths, 800 people were killed by suicide bombers, IEDs, and VBIEDS.. and on top of that, 670 attacks were foiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Once afgans capulated to taliban thet deserve there fate, US didnt trust their army enough to give them f16s or abrams tanks must have known they would go back to stone age

• Advertisement

Hindsight being a great thing, had such force been mobilised and used to back up the ANA in the early stages, even in one strategic location, it would definitely have changed the outcome which led to the present situation. But we are where we are. And now, while the the Taliban will not have any compunction whatsoever about killing their fellow Afghans, men, women and children, the US / European troops there will be hindred badly. But even so,, it will give the Talibs something to think about,,,,attacking an ANA outpost, and a professional well armed and experienced modern army will fir sure have s different outcome,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Grab any remaining Irish citizens outside the airport confines and bring them back.

Similar to UK special forces right now. Not everyone is able to make it to the airport safely. And the deadline is fast approaching so they need to exit people fast.

After actually meeting with the ARW, and exchanging "Pleasantries" with them, I'm sure that the Taliban will not be looking forward to meeting them a 2nd time.. the ones that survive, I mean.

The devices, known as HIIDE, for Handheld Interagency Identity Detection Equipment, were seized last week during the Taliban’s offensive, according to a Joint Special Operations Command official and three former U.S. military personnel, all of whom worried that sensitive data they contain could be used by the Taliban. HIIDE devices contain identifying biometric data such as iris scans and fingerprints, as well as biographical information, and are used to access large centralized databases. It’s unclear how much of the U.S. military’s biometric database on the Afghan population has been compromised.

While billed by the U.S. military as a means of tracking terrorists and other insurgents, biometric data on Afghans who assisted the U.S. was also widely collected and used in identification cards, sources said.

Oh, good. I thought they were being a bit stingy only leaving Black Hawk helicopters, A-29 Super Tocano bombers, armoured Humvees, drones and night vision goggles behind.

• Advertisement

Good luck to them. Hopefully, the Taliban will play by the rules long enough for this to happen with a minimum of drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Just seen this on twitter, admittedly I haven't done any research... I know thousands are falling through the cracks, never even considered NATO helpers.

https://twitter.com/IanBradbury_/status/1420733285597073414?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Biden already stated not everyone is getting on a flight out ,

Unfortunately people will be left in Kabul airport come the 31st unless biden suddenly decides to call the Talibans bluff with the treats of consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Yeah we all know its a mess most at the airport are economic migrants seeking a better life not as dangerous as getting in a small boat in north africa

Totally agree ,the Taliban aren't great super soldiers that were unstoppable ,most Taliban fight couldn't hit the broadside of a barn ,and most loses against the Taliban came from IEDs like most jihadis they run a mile when real professional soldiers appear ,it's all well fighting hiding in the hills ,it's a whole different ball game when you have to get up close and personal with soldiers who know how to fight in close proximity and 24/7 ,

Keep hearing they have Hummers and biometric devices and night vision and ???

Will it make them better fighters no ,will they die in big numbers absolutely yes

The Taliban are okay with being cannon fodder.

Sure they are !!!! Part of isis propaganda videos shows "elite" martyrs with the caption " Our enemies fear death...but we welocme it!!! " If you have lived your entire life being brainwashed day in day out, maybe death is a welcome relief? And a lot of the Taliban propaganda we are seeing now is definitely takig a leaf from the isis handbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

Watched some documentary a few years ago, some journalist embedded with British squaddies. They had a grudging respect for the Talibans fighting spirit, they didn't lack bottle anyway. With drones overhead it made life easier for the Brits etc so the Taliban couldn't hang about.

Then they had Cannon fodder young kids they called 10 dollar a day Taliban from Pakistan iirc who hadn't a clue.

Look at what happened in Helmand province when a British outpost almost ran out of ammunition from the constant Taliban attacks they managed to Repel every attack with minimal casualties but the attacks kept coming to the point the British blew through a large amount of ammunition and could have been in trouble had they not been re-enforced ,

And they all know they are going to their deaths and are going to receive their virgin's in the after life ,

They generally can't fight for **** ,but they keep coming and coming ,bar commiting mass genocide against them their ideology and belief keeps them coming back ..

So 1 week to airlift how many thousands??? And more importantly how many thousands left behind??? Unless the Taliban stick to the general amnesty they have promised in Doha??? if they don't it will be a massacre...no other word for it. The world powers need to make it quite clear to them that actions have consequences, and if they are to have any chance of escape from the pariah state status, they need to keep their promises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But this is all hypothetical talk. I can't envisage the circumstances where a major firefight breaks out between Taliban and departing troops; would be totally against the interests of both.

Something is going to happen ,

The Taliban will have to back up their threat's or make themselves look weak which could lead to more Panjshir standing up and saying we're not afraid

Sure, and ideally, thats all it will be..hypothetical. But when the US and EU increased their military presence there, they are preparing for all inc. worst case scenario's, hypothetical or not. And there has already been one firefight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Where will the refugees that are coming here going to go,? How can we help them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Watching Rory Stewarts documentary on Afghanistan. Early 1970's Afghanistan was a hippie paradise were you went on a journey of discovery and smoke drugs. All doing this unarmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Which threats? That the evacuation is completed by August 31 or else? Would they really look like wusses if they gave it a few more days? I get the impression they're glad to be shot of most of these 'malcontents' anyway.

The threats that foreign forces would face consequences if they didn't leave by the 31st ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

I remember watching it when it was broadcast. Afghanistan would not be in this horror if Mohammed Daoud Khan had not overthrown his cousin, King Zahir Shah.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I didn't see that bit. It was part 2 of 2 I caught. I hope when my tv and sat box are set up I'll be able to rewatch it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Watch "Tom Waits - "Hell Broke Luce"" on YouTube

[YOUTUBE]ttps://youtu.be/i7xPtVrb0Os[YOUTUBE/]

Post edited by Jeff2 on

Advertisement