Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭hold my beer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Its a few years ago, what I remember was we paid for insurance. All fine but then they was a query on the NCT. The vehicle was DOEd. Commercial.

Insurance was withdrawn. Therefore we went elsewhere. That wasn't the problem. Refunding the cash was torture. Phone calls not answered. Emails ignored.

Awful ignorant company IMHO.

Sounds like a bad experience alright but I know loads of people using them without complaint.

Dublin far too negative for large parts of that, should have put the game away.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,659 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Shocking stuff really, the last few passages of play playing the ball around inside their own 22 in slippery conditions was just asking for trouble.

If Mayo had pushed them hard in the first half they could've won this easily enough I reckon, just completely unable to change their game plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Sweet just sweet. Delighted for Mayo.

Haven't seen Dublin lack composure like that in a long time, fell apart in extra time and could do nothing with the ball bare give it away cheaply.

No harm, Dublin's run of wins had long since gone from spectacular to indecent. Good for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Dublin as cynical as I've ever seen and I'm a Tyrone man. I'd be delighted to see Mayo go on and win it outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

They will be delighted in Kerry I suspect..

Ridiculous tactics from Dublin, trying to fall over the line, three points in 45 minutes of second half with Rock, Kilkenny, O'Callaghan, etc. Farrell should take most of the blame, they did same against Meath and were nearly caught, didn't learn their lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Well the Americans have certainly got value for money from their foray into Afghanistan. Clearly leaving the country in a safe pair of hands…definitely up there with the hasty retreat from Vietnam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

They have been leaving for 10 years, that’s hardly hasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'm just back from a trip home and everywhere I went in Dublin, Galway, Roscommon and Donegal accepted by NHS cert no bother. Not sure why we have the two separate QR codes, got a panic the first time I went to use it and the first QR code came back invalid (because it's just proof you've had the first dose)

Leaving at any time before the country has been stabilised is hasty. The scenes of what they're leaving behind are truly awful. What an utter waste of lives, money and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I wouldn’t disagree with that but there has never been a successful campaign in Afghanistan. Pretty much every empire and quasi empire has tried and failed. They could have stayed there for 50 years and the outcome would have been the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

*Ridiculous armchair internet strongman general alarm*

They had only a few thousand troops there until recently. It was the withdrawal that precipitated the cataclysmic collapse. I suspect a limited presence for 20 more years would have meant 20 more years of some semblance of rights for women and at least the possibility of something growing out of it. There was zero political will for that in the US though, and that ultimately is all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I am heartbroken for the people of Afghanistan, especially the women. But is it time to at least discuss that the Taliban enjoy an awful lot more support there than we would like to think?

Insurgency and Guerrilla tactics are (a) exceptionally hard to combat and (b) require a decent amount of support from locals. We saw that in in the Irish war of Independence. Britain could not win that war because enough Irish people did not want British rule and supported the IRA, whether that was simply keeping quiet about what they knew was going on, right up to providing more tangible support: logistics, alibis, hiding places, etc. Shoe on the other foot, if enough Irish people wanted British rule, information would have leaked, the IRA would have been crushed, and we'd all be sweating over Brexit-driven shrinkflation right now.

Taliban represent the Pashtun group, approx 45% of all Afghans. For 20 years the most competent military intelligence on the planet couldn't eradicate them. Once these occupying troops fully withdrew, Taliban then took over the country with breathtaking speed. For me, those two sequential events - prolonged survival and immediate successful counter assault - simply can't happen if an insurgent force diametrically opposes the majority political will of the people.

I want Democratic freedom for every person on this planet, but I can't shake the thought that the greatest tactical blind spot of interventionism is the assumption that "our way of rule is best", and that nobody would consider an alternative more appealing.

Passport office....do they actually function?

I applied for a passport on Saturday evening. First time application. All simple. Filled out all the necessary information and paid the fee. The few things they now need....birth certificate (surprisingly have it). Identity verification form.... absolutely nowhere to be found. Not on their website or at the Garda station or post office. Wait...you click on the link in their email to bring you the page to print it. Except you click the link, put in your number, security questions etc and it brings you to a page with no links but telling you it needs to filled in with a Garda as a witness.

After speaking to a Garda this morning she simply replied "they couldn't make it more fcuking awkward if they tried"

Not answering on twitter and the phone line goes straight to an automated message. FML.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I tried getting the police in Switzerland to sign that form. They did not care for it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,765 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think you get it to print out when you finish the online part of the process. The "online application" process it a bit of a weird name for it, since you have to actually print stuff out, bring them to the Guards then bring it to the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

I've been trying to get kids passports for 18 months....they've basically closed the passport office except for emergencies since the beginning of the pandemic. I just assumed it was to discourage people traveling.....

On Afghanistan, this was always going to end with Taliban back in control. The state/govt that the US created was absolutely venal, and was hated by everyone in the country except those in on the take. They had no political base other than from NATO and through the graft networks. People in the cities preferred them to the Taliban but very few people had any confidence that the government in Kabul was anything more than a puppet regime. The US spent 1tn dollars there, most of it went on US military largesse, waste, and delusions but hundreds of billions went into 'reconstruction', 'development' and NGO schemes, most headquartered around Washington DC, and those produced very little of value but created an economy and culture of corruption and gangsterism that made the Taliban look like paragons of fiscal virtue. As for the Afghan army, so much money was being stolen that they remained poorly armed and actually hungry a lot of the time. Why would anyone risk their lives fighting the Taliban when you know your officer corps is only in it for the graft and will probably bail with the first sign of trouble? The only silver lining is that the Taliban have taken over without much fighting which would have destroyed the cities and made it even more miserable for civilians.

Most people's lives in rural Afghanistan won't change much but you'd have to feel for those in the cities who have seen rapid change in their society since the Taliban were pushed out in 2001. That's all on the floor now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bizarre, isn't it. I had to pay a **** notary to sign it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

11 hours since your post pickarooney. This forum now moves at a snails pace. A snails pace which will only serve to hasten its decline. I’m thinking Nokia, blackberry…

This thread has always been sporadic bursts. I think people are predicting Boards demise far too hastily. There's nothing quite like it in Ireland for me.

Sonny Chiba, possibly the greatest martial artist of all time has died at the age of 82

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Limerick. Jesus! 😲😲😲

• Subscribers Posts: 41,543 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just took my kids in for their vaccine. Sat down in the waiting area and Cillian Murphy was sitting there with his lad.

My eldest one states loudly "there's Cillian Murphy"....and then burst into tears. I can never go back to the Aviva again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,659 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I dunno what on earth they're doing but these notifications are wrecking my head.

It's like every time they try and make a change to this place to make it easier to use or get users back posting they manage to make it even worse.

Does nobody test these things before they push them live

• Advertisement

Typical stupid teenage girl. I left at the same time as him and on the way out (he was a few feet behind me) she declares loudly "dad ask him for a photo or I'll literally die".

Advertisement