Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Rumours this morning in Tipp that michael donoghue (ex Galway manager) is in the running!! Was involved with Tipp during eamon o sheas time in charge. As regards the article in the examiner it looks to me that article was written based on either (a) all the rumours going around on social media or (b) someone in the Tipp county board leaked it to them. Can’t imagine Cahill would be too happy with that as it would look like county board are trying to force his hand a bit. Anyway the sooner this is resolved the better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Some speculation doing the rounds the last 24 hours or so. Half think Cahill has the Tipp job with Bevans, Declan Fanning and then Magnier as a sponsor.

The other half reporting Michael Donoghue has it.

If Cahill does get it, we would definitely do a lot worse than going all out to get Donoghue ourselves. Good manager that led Galway to their first AI in nearly 30 years, at our expense unfortunately. Many feel he was hard done by by the Galway CB a few years ago letting him go. Only obvious problem would be him being based in Galway so it would be hard to see him travelling down to Waterford a few nights a week. By all accounts though he’s very keen to get back involved in an intercounty set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

Was at 2 on Saturday. Ballygunner absolutely destroyed Ballyduff Lower and will win the Intermediate hands down.

Saw Fenor and Erin's Own is terrible weather in Butlerstown and none of those teams will touch Ballygunner. David Byrne of Erin's Own was the only player on the field who you could say could play at senior club level. Both teams looked unfit with former Kilkenny All Star Eamonn Kennedy training Erin's Own.

Dunhill probably only team to give Ballygunner a game this year but I still wouldn't be surprised if Ballygunner beat them easily as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭TheG0AT

I remember their being mention that TQS were giving them a split sponsorship with certain amounts being paid for getting out of Munster and onto quarter, semi and all ireland finals. And i think even at that the sponsorship wasn't worth more than 200 to 250k, if all targets were reached. Surely that's a model that should now be scrapped and Waterford hurling deserves better than that given their progress since 2017. 2 all irelands and a semi final. Surely they should be able to command 250k at a bare minimum now. I know Dublin, Cork, Mayo and Kerry get huge sponsorship from their main sponsors (possibly in the millions each) and all their associate sponsors adding more on top so hopefully the Waterford jersey is worth more in 2022. With talk of Coolmore backing a Cahill/ Tipp 2022 squad could Henry De Bromhead or someone like that step into the breach for the Deise.

Wasnt there also a secondary sponsor allowed on jersies last season (i may be wrong and thinking of premier league) but surely they should be able to generate further revenue in that manner. As someone said previously they've (Waterford) been topped up by a private individual recently so why not try and get a few more involved. I know kavanagh's provide transport etc and have done for many years before they were an associate sponsor so maybe they deserve a chance to be main sponsor if they had the money. Is there any chance they could get Glanbia/Yop back on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

If Magnier is going to sponsor Tipp, Cahill would be mad to turn it down. Money no object as can be seen in Limerick with JP and Magnier would ensure that everything was done right from the ground up, probably underage squads as well so we have no one near that wealth in Waterford who could invest in GAA. He would demand success from Cahill so he would need to win an All Ireland within 3 years. Magnier would probably use it to promote his new hotel in Cashel that was meant to be opened last year, in the same way that JP uses it for Adare Manor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

Yeah, I was thinking about going to Limerick for the weekend and couldn't decide between the Lodge and the Maldron but decided to give the old few bob to Adare Manor what with them sponsoring Limerick :D

In other words I don't think JP is in it for hotel exposure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

😀 I don't think JP is either but if you're going to be in the media giving interviews, you might as well be sporting a logo of something, its better than nothing.

Yeah, I think Adare Manor is handy way for him to badge up the team as a thank you for all of his help.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,295 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'd imagine travel would be an issue for Michael Donoghue in regards the Waterford job. Tipp would suite him better in that regard but hard to see Tipp going for an outsider

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Good news coming by weeks end lads...

• Advertisement

Oh don't be a tease @KevIRL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭decies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Tipp lads seem to be confident Cahill has decided on Tipp and all will be announced by the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

some players have already expressed their view privately to board members that if Cahill goes they want DMG to come back. You can see their logic with it as he has been our most successful manager over the last 10 years in the modern era of Hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Whitenblue93

could Davy be an option again if Cahill is to go or would it be a backwards step

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭TheG0AT

Surely not, if people are saying DMG is a step back then Davy is an even bigger step back. Maybe give Justin and Gerald McCarthy a shout at that rate!!

I would hope Cahill will stay, the rebuild in Tipp will take too long (4 years if not more) and culling the stars of yesteryear (even though they need to go) there would be his downfall. He has a great group in Waterford coming to their peak, possibly better placed to challenge than Tipp and Cork. Having TDB, Iarlaith Daly and some new faces for 2022 should give him a stronger hand.

With TDB and Iarlaith Daly back should it be a consideration to push Calum Lyons or kieran bennet into MF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

If Cahill is offered the Tipp job I would be astounded if he turned it down. Less travel, more sponsorship, working for his own county with fellas with whom he has had underage success. How could he turn that down? On top of that how would it look if he turned it down now because of the rebuild but went looking for it in a few years time?

We all know the greatest strength and weakness of the GAA is parochialism. Cahill will always prize the Tipp job over Waterford and, if he was to turn it down in their hour of need, he probably won’t get a second opportunity. Even leaving out petty vindictiveness from a spurned county board, whoever might get the job on his stead will get a few years to rebuild and might be a roaring success.

We should be grateful Liam has dragged us back from the depths to being contenders again but we need to accept that he is gone and we need a good progressive replacement to build on the last 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Rebelside

Its hard to see where this major rebuild required by tipp is coming from. Whoever takes over has 10 starters from 2019 AI in their 20s & another 5 younger lads who came on. 8 of those 10 have 2 AI senior medals. Plus a large group with u20 u21 & minor medals which sheedy didnt utilise. And I doubt there’ll be a big cull of the older lads, Paidi Maher looked as good as ever this year & Callanan & Bonner mightn’t want to go out on a year of injuries.

only galway & Limerick have similar or better amounts of medalists. Even KK this year had only 4 starters with AI senior medals. Waterford have none. Its a no brainer for Cahill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

I think you have a point with regard to Tipp not being half as old as they're made out to be. You'd get the impression that half the team are over 30, but is it just Padraig Maher and Seamus Callinan that are? And Brendan Maher, but he's retired now. Noel McGrath too perhaps?

The problem they have is that they don't look good enough to win an All Ireland at the moment. So you have to bring lads through and it might take a couple of years for them to get up to speed. By the time they are you've probably lost the 4 mentioned above and the guys who were late 20s will likely be slowing down. Hurling is a young mans game now. Where players were at their peak in their late 20s previously, that's probably move forward to early to mid twenties.

So maybe the smart thing for them to do is to blood more players and look at replacing guys in their late 20s who are still good intercounty players.

I think the most likely challenger to Limerick over the next couple of years is ourselves, but that largely will depend on who our manager is. If Cahill stays and we have deburca and Mahony back next year (and the injuries haven't slowed them down) we could beat Limerick on our day. I don't think Tipp are as likely to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

While the media coverage of last Sunday’s All-Ireland Hurling Final has used every kind of superlative to describe Limerick’s first-half performance, I thought myself that it was surpassed by the Shannonsiders’ second-half comeback against Tipperary in the Munster Final.

Not only were Limerick facing a ten-point deficit starting the second half, having played dismally before the short whistle, but they were up against a far better and more experienced team than they had to face last Sunday. In that second half, Limerick scored 2-17 against Tipperary’s 1-5, a 15-point gap compared with the 13-point gap between the teams at half-time last Sunday. And Tipperary’s goal came in the last minute of play.

Granted, that Tipperary team contained many pairs of ageing legs which buckled in the searing heat of Páirc Uí Chaoimh, but I would still argue that they were far superior to the callow Cork team which we saw last Sunday. This was a team that was either disastrously set up and coached, or failed to execute their mentors’ instructions on the field of play. The amount of space they gave Gearóid Hegarty for his two goals was criminal.

While predictable, the hype which attended Cork’s appearance in the final was distinctly over-the-top, as they had stumbled past moderate Clare and Kilkenny teams to get there. The standard of hurling in Waterford’s victories over Galway and Tipperary was higher, with Waterford playing some brilliant hurling in both games.

After 53 minutes of their semi-final against Limerick, Waterford were just six points in arrears. At the same point in the final, Cork were 16 points down. Even after conceding their soft goal to Limerick, Waterford created six goal-scoring chances, whereas Cork were a spent force in the final quarter.

With Joe Canning gone, and several of their other more experienced players approaching their sell-by date, it is hard to understand how Galway have been made second favourites for next year’s All-Ireland. It is even more mysterious how far down Waterford are in the betting, given that they were clearly the second-best team in Ireland this year, and will have Tadhg de Búrca, Pauric Mahony and Iarlaith Daly back in 2022.

The team of the year selected on RTE’s Sunday Game obviously involved giving a token position to the losing finalist and the two losing semi-finalists and a special award to Tony Kelly, with the remaining positions being allocated to Limerick. Nevertheless, Conor Prunty had an excellent year and well deserves his award. It was a pity that, apart from naming him, the Sunday Game panel made no further mention of him, with no footage of any of his plays being shown.

It was hard to fathom the selection of Jack O’Connor as Cork’s token representative, especially at the expense of Gearóid Hegarty. Patrick Horgan would have been a more deserving selection. Aaron Gillane was, in my view, very fortunate to get a place in what was a very average year for him. Dessie Hutchinson, in my view, would also have been a more deserving case for this position. Clearly, the 2-2 he got against Tipperary, and 1-3 against Galway, in the league counted for nothing in this selection process.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I agree with quite a lot, perhaps even all, of that post. Just to give a reason for the price of Waterford, due to the likely nature of the championship next year only 3 teams will progress from Munster and that's probably Limerick plus 2. So for Waterford to win the all Ireland they need to escape Munster and then beat Limerick later on. Kilkenny and Galway only need to do the latter but again I'd agree that price on Galway is crazy and not based on logic.

A team participating in Leinster have not won an under 20/21 all Ireland since 2008 (Galway won since but were not in Leinster for the competition). The last two years have seen 13 games between Munster and Leinster teams, Munster have won 12. Even before that the Munster record was stronger. So working off the basis of how hard it will be to get out of Munster I can understand the Waterford price as our round robin record has been so poor.

I do agree we are probably over priced but the above is what I'd guess is driving it. If we were in Leinster I think we'd be half the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Wouldn't be surprising given we know how close DMG is to certain players within that group, he’s more of a pal to them than anything else. All the more reason for me that it’s not the right call to bring him back. He had his time and while most lads buy and large bought into him at the time , the mindset of many players will have changed under Cahills different approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

People thought ballygunner would win it hands down couple of years ago and lost the eastern final, first round games were every team qualifies , wouldn't read to much in to those game's

• Registered Users Posts: 38,295 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What are the formats for the Senior and the 2 Intermediate championships ?

In the Senior we badly need someone to seriously challenge Ballygunner who are on a quest for 8 in a row. Be nice to see De La Salle and Mount Sion back in form of yesteryear, Passage have shown they can trouble teams. Up west Dungarvan,Lismore and Fourmilewater could spring a surprise but there form can be up and down. Ballysaggart with the Bennett Brothers could be outsiders, hard to see the likes of Tallow, Ballyduff Upper and Roanmore doing much

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blacksuir

Davy is free, let them have him and leave Liam Cahill where he is.

Please dont inflict him on us again, or even Derek McGrath. I know the two of them got us to All-Ireland finals but their style of hurling is so negitive.

Do the County Board ever give out details of the sponsorship deals they get into. For example how much does TQS pay per year. What role does Azzurri play. Is it provide the gear or is there money involved. The same with JJ Kavanagh. Does money change hands or do the County Board get free travel to games and maybe as a thank you put the companies name on the different County Championships and County Finals.

It's a pity that we can't draw in the huge sponsorship deals that Dublin (with AIG), Cork with (Sports Direct) and Limerick and the one that is said to be happening with Tipperary.

• Advertisement

Have you noticed that De La Salle won little or nothing since they famously put 3.3.1. on the back of the jersey. The 3.3.1. was suppoed to mean 3 County Titles, 3 Munster Titles and 1 All-Ireland Title. They won the third county title after putting it on but that was about it.

Advertisement