Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to move... WTF is going on with prices?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'd be skeptical regarding Central Banks ability to keep printing money though, there comes a point where quantitive easing will have to be wound down and who knows what impact it will have on the wider global economy. I'd suggest not a very good one.

Look at the global markets today alone, some large falls following reports that the Federal Reserve is considering tapering off it's stimulus plan later in the year. That also means higher interest rates. We've gotten very used to 2-3% interests rates in the last decade. I'd argue though that in the next decade people purchasing homes would want to be comfortable with the notion of having to pay 5-6% interest. It's not beyond the realms of possibility, history has shown us that periods of quantitive easing are followed by inflation and higher interest rates. Worth noting that the period of qualitative easing we have had since the last financial crisis is the longest in, well, the history of economics. Sure, inflation may eat away at a mortgage but we also know that earnings always tend to lag inflation in times where inflation starts to really gather pace.

Uncertain times ahead in my view. The last time the Federal Reserve attempted to tighten quantitive easing they almost crashed the global economy and had to reverse their interest rate increases. It can't go on forever though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Maxxx17

Yes prices are tight right now. Whatever city or country you went to. Everything is as expensive as possible. There is a dream of moving to a better place. But it's worth saving up. In the meantime I'm just sitting here. I can only dream alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Things are volatile at the moment. Have viewed some where offers are going mad, others where there's nothing happening, and very little difference in quality or asking price between them.

My own thinking (total speculation), is there's less potential buyers desperate to buy at any price like we saw earlier this year. But there's still loads of potential buyers.

You list your house and you could get two or three interested parties who are desperate and will bid it up and you go sale agreed in a couple of weeks, or you could get ten interested parties who aren't as desperate and it'll sit there for a while.

It's volatile and not a healthy way for the market to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The current market is more desperation than exuberance. My point stands, there has only been one meaningful property crash in Ireland, they are not frequent 7 yearly events and most people will only see one in their lifetime. Their rarity makes it madness to put off buying while hoping and waiting for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kheb

Prices won't reduce any time soon as supply is so slow, due to many different factors. Lack of supply is the single biggest issue. Even if a crash comes, prices will drop slowly as sellers hold out as long as possible. In the meantime, is it worth renting to wait for a reduced price in the future? Each person has to decide and answer that for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

There has only been 1 crash,

well prices actually dropped in 2001 as the government implemented policies recommended by the bacon report.

house prices had been rising rapidly since the early nineties when bacon was asked for recommendations

when his recommendations were carried out prices slowed and actually fell back in 2001

remember the nineties was the advent of the Celtic tiger when you had real growth and people had access to

money they never had before.

ah but that was no good, we couldn’t have reasonable house prices could we

so the government changed tack and reversed all his recommendations

prices started to rise, then mass immigration from 2004 and you have a perfect storm.

but nobody thought it would end, i said the same things then I am saying now and people

like you had the same theories which all amounted to, it’s different this time..

you could buy a house for 14k in north strand in 1995.

why are those same houses now 350k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

A friend of mine has gone sale agree on Friday.

Its a detached house in a nice estate.

Similar houses were selling for about €350k last year.

The house right next door sold 6 months ago for €450 so my friends thought, now is the time to sell.

They put a bid on their new house that got accepted at just below what previous ones had sold for. They thought they would make some money out of the difference.

They ended up getting a top offer of €390k for their own house that they thought they would get at least €450 +.

It looks like the supply of buyers that were willing to pay over the odds for houses in their estate have dried up.

Its a very fickle market.

Wait til the the owners who paid €450k see €390k on the PPR for the exact same house next door, in much better condition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Bought my house in H1 2019, got a valuation last month as we're changing mortgage, the valuation we got is 20% above what we paid and the valuer told us that was a conservative estimate for the bank and she'd expect it to get another 10% on top of that if we sold. So a potential 30% price increase in just over two years. This is in D7.

This is obviously fine for me as my LTV has improved massively just from us doing nothing, but it is completely fucked really in terms of the housing market. I would have zero chance of buying this house if we were looking to buy now, it would be way out of our price range. All the serial objectors are doing me a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The usual supply and demand. In 1994, unemployment was 16%, there was essentially full employment by 2001. GDP also nearly doubled. Maybe demand for houses increased while the capacity to build them didn't and demand in 1995 wasn't great? I'd imagine input costs for house construction, like labour, were likely a bit less, given the unemployment rate, than they are now? Also houses in 1995 were pretty basic - not too much insulation, granite counter tops, A2 BER's, etc.

Why weren't their lines of people to view houses on the market in 2012 when they were on fire sale at 15-20% below cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

simple, they didnt have the means or the access to credit, and there s the rub, you can have all the demand in the world but if people cant get credit they cant buy, you can only defy reality for so long, people who were buying up to the crash should nver have been given the credit they got but he banks gave them it, only when that dried up did the crash happen,when people started to notice, oh that gilt edged asset is no longer going up in value, then the herd turns the other way and nothing will stop them

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

I'm in the market to buy at the moment and this definitely seems to be the way things are going.

You sell now and you'll find a buyer no problem and get a very good price - at least 5 per cent more than you would have gotten this time last year.

But I haven't seen the madness of 100k over asking bidding wars that were happening when I was looking in March and April. When I look at the PPR prior to a viewing I can see those outliers. The prices paid don't match up with what the same houses have previously gone for or are now going for.

It's also reflected in the CSO figures - annual growth of circa 6 per cent Vs some houses on the PPR for 20 - 25 per cent over what similar ones went for a year ago.

I feel sorry for the purchasers but somewhat vindicated that I walked away from many of those houses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No way in the world are you getting a 2 bed extension for 50k. Unless you do the labour yourself.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 11,693 ✭✭✭✭klose

That's the thing it's up to the people to decide, in our situation, we are in the process of buying (waiting on the deads from the bank currently) what we paid will equate to about 750 a month and a bit more for the usual like house insurance mortgage protection etc. The average rent for a decent gaff in town is 1000+ a month. Is it ideal to over pay on our house? No. Does it make sense to rent to see what happens for 1/2 years and spent 24,000+ on rent alone when I could be two years into my mortgage. I'd also say no. Hard decisions for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

I think I see what you are getting at.

You say you know it should really only cost 50k for the extension and the builder or labourer also know this.

But some people are willing to pay 150k for a similar job, so of course that has become the current price.

But in reality it could be done for 50k.

That seems to be what you have said?

So basically it's just another rip off yes?

And I suppose I don't blame builders for making hay while the sun shines

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Smiley11

I find its still mad. Batsh*t crazy in our market anyway & thats not me being dramatic. We bowed out of bidding on a house 2 weeks ago over 140k over asking. Not sure where it ended up but I got to the point of not being able to answer my husbands update calls out of sheer horror! Bracing ourselves for another battle in the next couple of weeks & I would confidently estimate this house will go at least 75k over asking. These are 4 bed semis in Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niniboots

We have been trying to purchase 14mths, had new build but pulled out due to sewage waste treatment plant which was undisclosed until solicitor pack. Rent increased in that time after covid restrictions lifted. Then faced with landlord selling up. We viewed a new rental to try and hold out but there was so much interest we didn't even get a callback. Anyway, we placed our names on EVERY single new build in commuter zone to Dublin. I am not joking the releases were sold in minutes, Maynooth, Dunshaughlin, Dunboyne, Barnhall leixlip on & on, you have an email the day of notification to register and upload details to portal or try desperately to bag 'a viewing', we have possibly been unlucky but I'm checking everyday for updates on releases & fairly diligent. We are on so many cancellation lists I've lost count. While we are ftb, we are in our 40s & have been stuck in rental hell. So to say it's been stressful and difficult feels like an understatement. We got a call Friday for Mullenpark, you know the REIT controversy and placed deposit after viewing on Sat. Every single person confirmed on the day and EA has said she has extensive waiting list for our house type. These are not a cheap house. However, it's affordable for us and while we have large deposit our mortgage is still 3.5. For us it's a no brainer to pay off a mortgage, renting for another 3 years = 70k or until some magic market correct happens buying is rolling dice on a significant price correction. I do however believe ftb have reached a limit on what they can afford on new builds. Interestingly while our type sold out and has waiting list the 4bed, 465k 2 were still available today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Things are completely crazy, and desperation is the right description.Currently selling ours, it has gone 60k over the asking price in bids last time I spoke to the agent.4 bed semi-d, we built a small extension a couple of years ago.I honestly feel bad, like we are ripping people off or something but I can't exactly stop the process either so not much to be done.We are buying so obviously getting squeezed too on the other side of the equation - bids in on three houses, all rising slowly.The whole thing is equally ridiculous and awful.Estate agents must be having a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm sure the EAs are plenty busy but this situation is not their fault or their doing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No but I have observed around here that some estate agents definitely put a higher price on when they can.However it is up to a buyer to be willing to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭jbv

For the last 2 years, paying almost €2000 in rent per month as a family with 2 kids. The amount approved from the bank to buy a house is ridiculous. With the property bubble at least you could borrow more then what you can today. Forcing people to rent instead of buying is not the right approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Well to start with the family house was protected after the crash in 2008 so those properties (most of which would be in desirable areas to live in) did not flow on stream to the market, we also had a lot of over building in the years preceding the cash, (including undesirable ghost estates) The banks also more or less stopped lending or at least made it very hard to get cash. Add in the job losses more than 400k people permanently lost a job between 2008 and 2012. So lots of reasons why there was not a line around the corner for properties. But just to be clear a certain cohort of people did buy (more times than not cash buyers - one of which I was in 2012) and if like me you held on to it and selling it now they will make a tidy profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I own property in North Strand and I can assure you couldn't buy a house there for 14k in 1995. If you could I would have bought quite a few and would have not had a mortgage on the property. If I recall correctly it was worth £120k then.

In practice they actually put lower prices up than they expect to sell for.

Say you had a house that they thought would comfortably sell for €430k.

They will put it up at €395k.

This is so that it shows up in searches that have €400k or €425k as the upper limit on the search.

If they had put it up at €430k they would miss out on all the people who limited their search but could stretch a bit if they liked the house.

They would never have been aware of that house if it was put up with a price of €430k or over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The exuberance in the 300k - 450k market has definitely subsided especially in commuter towns. Huge number of new builds going up too. Naas / Newbridge / Kildare Town have in excess of 2,000 homes under construction or about to start construction.

Celbridge, leixlip, Maynooth have similar numbers.

Developers are now getting bookings and contracts signed man months before expected completion.

In Dublin itself, the share price boom of tech companies is playing a big part. Facebook, Google, Amazon, Paypal, Microsoft are just a small few of the many tech companies that give share options. Shares have soared. You pay your 30% capital gains tax on the shares that have vested and the rest is there for spending. Some long term average workers have had gains of €500,000+ after tax, senior employees will have more.

So if the house is in a particular area, walking distance to certain schools and amenities, it will get a premium to its value.

But ordinary everyday houses, prices are definitely plateauing and market is seeing the heat come off. I can't see any fall of note coming as interest rates are going nowhere and currently on a 30 year term, €100,000 is costing under €400 a month and can be fixed at that level for 10+ years. (300k = under €1200, 400k = under €1600)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I think the poster got it wrong be a decade. In 1985 you could buy one of the terraced houses for near enough that price. (a friend bought for £16,000 in Shamrock terrace). In 1985 3 bed semi in goatstown was £34950 (Cavan Developments).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Worth clarifying that for RSUs (which is most common now I think) shares are taxed at 52% upon vesting. The 30% CGT applies to any gains made on shares between the time they vest and the time they're sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

even in 1985 at those prices you would have had a lot of work to do. Most of the properties in the area were badly maintained for decades. The area is a good way through gentrification now and very few properties are in the condition they were in the 80s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think a crash in apartment prices in inevitable, you have pension funds buying buildings here. They buy a building and get a good deal. Then rent out a few of the apartments for an over inflated rent privately or to a housing body. Then revalue all the apartments for 15 times rental income and show a growth in values of 10 or more percent without disclosing the empties

If we have a SF government which is almost certain and they put a stop to it then they will see no point hanging on them and start to sell them, causing a glut and a crash which could bring down house prices too given that they are also buying blocks of house in estates. The problem is for Irish bank if you lend to a FTB who buys a new build without knowing that a large part of it is going to be used for social housing. One bad egg causes misery and they end up handing over the keys added to a price crash you have a perfect storm caused by our last two governments distorting the market.  

If you want to fix the Irish property market, force investment funds to stop holding on to empty units. Change the rules to be more like Scotland and France where property is sold for offers up to the asking if you offer the asking the seller has to accept it and cannot sell to somebody else. Equally you have to buy it. 

Advertisement