Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

I just wish their could do all this behind closed doors and then appear together at pressers. Politics and medics aligned. It’s just shambolic how it’s managed here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Agree , good post Seamus .

On the latter point the bigger hospitals do discharge at the weekends though , a senior registrar will go around on Saturday, and Sunday morning , freeing up beds if needed.

Difficulty is nothing in the community is open at the weekend ( community teams , public health nurses, home care ) so you can't discharge patients without appropriate follow up care until a weekday particularly those who are vulnerable .

Any scans tests etc that are an emergency will still be done during weekend and nights , with emphasis on emergency .

Only a small number of technical staff in those areas covering and on call for emergencies/ urgent cases .

This is always the case .

Unless you go private and even then only very few private hospitals would do that sort of unscheduled care at the weekend . Most of them will do schedules care only . Again down toavailability of staff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

Holahan doesn't have a say in what Donnelly or the government do.

If they want to relax all the restrictions by Christmas, then they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Ah now really? So Donnelly saying restrictions to be gone this side of Xmas and then holahan and co are laying the gauntlet down for again for the famous let’s just wait a bit longer! Goalposts are in a different country now at this stage!

But he is making his position very clear. He certainly doesn't think its a time to be positive and he is giving the media ammunition to start writing about the government going against NPHET. Thats what he wants.

What is unclear is when he'll ever feel positive... even with 100% vaccinated I feel like he'd still recommend masks, distancing and curfews on pubs etc.

We should consider ourselves very lucky that he doesn't have any real power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I wish people would actually watch the press conference than take sound bites from twitter.

Multiple times he's referenced 4-6 weeks as being when they expect the vaccination campaign to have reached peak, this is based on dose 2 outstanding then plus the time it takes for protection, 7 days or 14 days.

There's also some smart journalists, asking a leading question which they know the answer to and hence soundbite.

It's quite obvious government are going to move ahead with relaxation starting from mid September at best guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

You'd wonder what goes on in the backround. Maybe they dont speak to each other at all . Anyway will be funny to see big Tonys reaction when the roadmap is released and he is no longer needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭snowgal

yea I just find it very confusing (and frustrating tbh!) at this point as to how things will pan out (Im involved in entertainment sector hugely) If SD is saying we'll be done and open fully before Christmas, great, We can start planning again. But then Nolan and Holohan etc are saying restrictions will fall off but masks and distancing will go on, which means there is no way we can have full houses as long as social distancing is a thing.....round and round and round we go............

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So you admit, only some restrictions will be removed in the next 5 months, some of them before christmas. Not all of them, just some undefined number of them.

Whoop de **** do. You seriously call that worthy of praise?

"Hey honey, I might stop beating you in the next 5 months, isn't that great news!!!"

Another 5 months, that you so casually throw another 5 months away speaks to your own PTSD, or more likely to how little they actually affect your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

but do you not agree that Donnelly spoke this positively this morning and you’ve the CMO habitually concerned and wants more and more? Now I do hope Donnelly wasn’t doing a full kite surf and they do push on regardless of ‘advice’ from NPHET

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Journalists are trying to draw Holohan into teasing his official advice to government, which he's obviously not going to do.

It's a running joke of course that Holohan is famously downbeat. Even so, on the basis of those tweets he's considerably less pessimistic than one would expect.

Between Nolan and Holohan, the gist of what I see from those tweets and the RTE reports, is that NPHET's advice will consistent of not recommending the reopening of higher-risk indoor environments (like nightclubs) until the vaccination programme has progressed further into the younger population. So 6-8 weeks - early-mid October.

There's no suggest that they will recommend tighter restrictions, it sounds like they're relatively comfortable with where we are; we can manage the caseload that is to come, even with the expected ease up in restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Just 4-6 weeks. Hold firm, nearly there. A pox on all of them. Bloody pessimistic bastard with no regard whatsoever for anyone struggling mentally or financially as a result of his words and actions.

@bucketybuck wrote:

So you admit, only some restrictions will be removed in the next 5 months, some of them before christmas. Not all of them, just some undefined number of them.

No, that's not what my post says at all. It says all restrictions will be removed in the next five months. It's right there. Plain English: "Restrictions will definitely be removed, over the next five months."

In all seriousness, is English not your first language, or do you actually not bother reading posts before jumping to respond?

Anyone involved in the entertainment sector will know that full houses are important. Try convincing bands to do shows in Ireland with only half capacity and much less profit... they'll simply pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

Holohan just said he could see a situation where they would continue to advise mask wearing on public transport and in healthcare settings . That’s absolutely fine . That would mean masks aren’t mandatory in most settings . Reporter put it to him that he would likely not advise any easing of restrictions the next 4-6 weeks but he basically replied by saying any changes in restrictions would initially be for those who were fully vaccinated . After his initial somber finger wagging start to press conference if you read through the lines it’s actually quite encouraging from him

I have a horrible feeling that in 5 months you'll still be trying to justify why restrictions are still in place. I definitely think we'll have mandatory masks on public transport and maybe other locations.

We might need a general election to remove those kind of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

He also said he’d hope all sectors would be open well before Christmas . Maybe I’m being naive here but I’m much more hopeful having watched this press conference.

I have a feeling that even when all we have is health guidance in five months time recommending masks on public transport, you'll still be complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Tony is correct though

Stevie Wonder can see that cases and hospitalisations are going to rise big time as schools, colleges and winter draws in, it’s inevitable as people go indoors from the cold

This is as good as it gets with winter coming

Boris got it 100% correct opening everything in the height of summer

We delayed and picked the wrong horse as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I haven't posted here before but does anyone ķnow if there is much incidence of false positives? My son got a positive PCR test for covid . We named all the close contacts and family etc . No one else has tested positive even on their second test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

@CMOIreland

says, adding that another 4-6 weeks of vaccination, reaching as many under 40s as possible, is critical.

Every week is so critical now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yeah, getting rid of the vaccine passport, what a dictator.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This is not an unusual situation, even in Delta times. Know someone who was positive and all the family and friends got tested. All were negative even the family at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Let's wait until they are actually gone before giving yourself a clap on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The electric picnic organisers must be pissed....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

He might want to let the rest of NPHET know. As they were on the radio this morning saying it will be at its lowest then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Is contact tracing still happening?

I look on the app and the covid tracker numbers have barely moved. I'm wondering if that's too so with the hack or are they not bothering with it anymore.

You hear of the pingdemic in the UK but nothing like that seems to be happening here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

He clearly does have a say as govt ministers seek his advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

It's the government, through the cabinet, that make the decisions regarding restrictions.

NPHET are not privy to those discussions.

The government also take advice from a lot of other sources. It doesn't mean these sources have a say in the decision making.

Government have, on many occasions gone against publicly stated advice from NPHET.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Government have, on many occasions gone against publicly stated advice from NPHET.

The last one did. Not so much this one, very few examples since the New Year where they didn't listen exclusively to NPHET. Antigen testing is about the only one where they ignored NPHET.

Advertisement