Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Indeed 😁.

In all seriousness though we all know we won't pay him what he'd want and even if we wanted to I'm not sure him being highest earner straight off the bat would go down too well in our dressing room.

We'll leave this one for the money bags teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

On Monday it was announced that Mbappe had rejected PSG's latest contract offer of five plus one season.

The offer included a notable salary increase but the player rejected it, just as he did with the previous proposals.

As a result, PSG are considering replacements for Mbappe, with Everton's Brazilian international Richarlison high on the list, following the direct recommendation from drama queen Neymar.

According to RMC, PSG have not yet received an offer from Real Madrid, yet a bid from Liverpool FC has come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

If Liverpool have someone big on high wages come in this transfer window, it would make a lot of sense that they secured all their big players on long term contracts first before offering the new star signings contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

One thing that doesn't fit is where does Mbappe play if he comes in ?

Where does he see himself a left inside forward or CF ?

Haaland is who we need not Mbappe ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I'd prefer Haaland too. I don't see either of them committing to a pressing game for 5 years. Mbappe could get slower and slower as the years go on. Haaland won't get smaller.

• Advertisement

How do you guys think the weekend will go,

Tuchel will try to come up with a plan to expose Trents & Robbo's side,

I think it owuld be perfect to have Hendo as the RCM but its also vital that whoever is at 6 makes it difficult for them to find Big Rom's feet, So if Fab is missing i'm not sure what road we will go down we might see Hendo at 6 & Milner as the RCM, (shows how light we still are in midfield even with numbers )

I also think its vital that Firmino plays , yes Jota scores more but i feel we keep the ball better as a team with Bobby there, ,

First goal as always is vital as Chelsea get a lot of men behind the ball, there defence structure is really good so we can't give them something to hold on to ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

As bad as Arsenal were on Sunday they still managed to cut Chelsea open a couple of times. We have the players to do the same more often and the strikers to actually finish the moves! It’ll be a tough game but it would suit us if Chelsea want to come out and attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I think we can stop Lukaku from scoring..I'm actually more worried about his link up play. He looks effective in bringing mount and havertz into play.

Fabinho has to play to cut off the passing channels to Lukaku's feet.

Reckon it will also be a high defensive line to keep him higher up the pitch.

Be an interesting selection for sure. Undecided on Jota/Firmino. Hopefully see a Fab/Hendo/Thiago midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Champions League draw on Thursday now to look forward too.

We had a choice of Minamino and Haaland , most of it based on the performances against us when we played Red Bull Salzburg , we went with Minamino... what could have been. Dortmund took Haaland, for a few million up front, 20m total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Wasn't expecting that but delighted with it all the same... 🙂

That's not true, Haaland , his father & Raiola decided he would not move to a club straight away ,

They decided it would be best for him to so somewhere like Dortmund where he would start every game ,it also meant they all get paid twice, they all got a slice of the pie from that transfer and figured in a couple of years he would get a massive move for astronomical figures

Haaland future has been well mapped not just on football but on the financial benefits to, and there is nothing wrong with that ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think the Chelsea team picks itself and my only expected change to their line-up against Arsenal would be Kante to replace Kovacic.

Provided our defenders don't make silly mistakes we'll do okay. Lukaku is a very different proposition to Werner and I think that Van Dijk and Matip will relish the challenge. He'll try to hold up play to link up with Havertz and Mount so Henderson/Fabinho will need to cover his options.

Chelsea will also try to overload the fullbacks or pull one of them out of position to get a diagonal runner into the box. The midfielders need to keep the defensive shape and provide the necessary support out wide without giving away silly free kicks (thinking of Thiago here).

Beyond that it's a case of relying on the front three to do their thing. All four of the forwards have scored after two league games - when has that ever happened before? If Mane could calm himself the moment before he takes a strike he could have had a hat-trick against Burnley. I'd fancy them to create chances against what ever back three Tuchel decides upon. Firmino/Jota - I'd start Firmino for his experience and you know that he'll get on top of Jorginho

It'll be an interesting game so early in the season. If we have the first choice midfield start I think we'll control the game.

I can't see Fabhino making it, He won't be fit enough, he is yet to start a game and then missed guts of a week training ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Wenger at Kirkby today giving FIFA awards to Klopp, TAA, VVD, Ali & Thiago

Best coach of 2020 & the 4 guys for being in the FIFA FiFPro world 11 for 2020

I just seen the nominees back in 2010 for the Golden boy award

Balotelli, Lukaku,Kakita ,Pjanic, James Rodriguez, Hazard, Macheda, Gotze , Couthino and most surprisingly our very own Joel Matip ,

I never knew he was that highly rated as a young lad ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

With the exception of Macheda and KaKita (never heard of him), they all went on to have decent careers, 3 future liverpool players in there too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

19/20 season Salah & Origi scored in the opener against Norwich & Mane & Bobby scored in the second game against Southampton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

If Robinson is available for selection, will he be given the nod over the Greek?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Doubt it but Robertson might start ahead of the Greek alright

Typo its Kakuta remember Chelsea snapped him uo and he literally never played no idea how he made the list

Madrid bid for Mbappe 160 million and tlak is PSG want Salah to replace him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’ll go and say it. There’s zero chance of Salah leaving us before the deadline, absolutely none whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

The more i see Haaland the more i want us to sign him, i thought his selfishness was a big drawback and does'nt fit in with the way we play but having watched a couple of Dortmund games he appears to have softened the selfishness and is willing to turn provider when he can.

If i had the choice between Haaland and Mbappe then Haaland just shades it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Didn’t want him anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Really get the impression that this is the summer of renewals rather than the summer of singings.

Which is not a bad thing all the same, but I would still have brought in another attacker and midfielder ideally. I guess if a suitor was found for Origi for £20m and Shaqiri went for more, the option may have been there but with the pandemic affected finances of the clubs who would have bought them, the money just wasn't there for incomings. Consolidate the squad position with contracts and go from there. We have still added Konate, Thiago & Jota to a title winning side, losing Gini in the process.

It just leaves more work to be done next summer for the rejuvenation of the squad. But maybe more time to build up a 'transfer kitty'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

• Advertisement

Real Madrid already trying to cut wages of players, would be funny to see him go there and then watch Real fail to register him as a player.

Lots of pissed off Madrid players if they take pay cuts, then Alaba and Mbappe arrive with bumper pay deals.

I'v a feeling Madrid know there bid won't be accepted but its Perez way of showing Mbappe how much they really want him ,

So when he is on a free next summer it'll be in Madrid's favour , 160 million for a lad with 1 year left is not happing ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

edit

It sums up how messed up Real and Barca are , when a player like Mbappe is literally FREE in a matter of weeks, but REAL are like,'' NO I WANNA GIVE YOU 200M!!''

Liverpool have a side twice as good as Real's , and we've made 7m in this window.

A bird in the hand and all that, mbappe will not be “free” in a matter of weeks, you can be certain that if he moves on a Bosman, he will negotiate a monstrous signing on fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Do people think Robertson or Tsimikas will start on Saturday? I would go with Tsimikas - has earned it and Andy is bound to be rusty.

Agreed, Tsimi has the shirt for me right now and earned it, Robbo needs to get minutes under his belt!

City lose it seems. Liverpool do their business early, not in the last few days.

Those signing on fees are way lower in reality. And spread over time I'd imagine.

Patience is the key to signing Mbappe, but in the crazy world of Real and PSG anything is possible this week.

Who ever City gets in now won't be a Kane. Not many great strikers out there, so this is good for Liverpool, every bonus is a help.

• Advertisement

I would have thought the oppisite! Kane moving to City weakens Spurs but doesn’t strengthen City all that much! I’d say 90pts wins the league this season and City are capable of that without Kane

Danny Ings would have been perfect for them but fortunately he's not a big enough name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He's not free for a full year. And he's only free for them if they get him. I'd say Real are keenly aware of how much things can change in a year. If they have a bad season - which is entirely possible - it could quickly change the complexion of Mbappe's options. If, say, Man City win all before them this year, and Pep goes in for him with a massive wage packet next summer, it might look a lot more attractive than Real. So while Real might look silly throwing out massive money right now, I think they're conscious that it might be their one and only chance to get him. As a club that has always based its image around superstars, those superstars are thin on the ground right now - Benzema's getting old, while Hazard and Bale are shadows of what they were - but Mbappe would kick their profile right back up instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Definitely think City with Kane are a much more dangerous proposition. Think he'd add a lot more than Graelish will for instance. In those stubborn games, you really want a striker in there as a focal point, when all the lovely possession outside a packed box isn't creating much - like we already saw against Spurs, and in the CL final against Chelsea. It's the same change Chelsea have created with Lukaku. A big presence in the box who is also a lethal finisher will create spaces by default. City's 90+ points totals came playing with a proper striker (Aguero got 21 goals in each), and though they still won the league last year, they scored the fewest goals they've gotten in 5 years in the process. I don't think they'll break 90 this year without buying a proper CF.

I'm sure they'll just go out and buy someone else instead anyway, as much as I'd love them to go through the season without a proper striker.

Strange statement released by PSG,

Basically implying they will let Mbappe leave on there terms which is fair enough but they seem to be hinting at he must sign a new deal to have there backing to go, As they have said they won't be responding to Madrid again & that Mbappe promised them he would not leave for free

I fear something big in football could be about to happen if they some how try to block him leaving when he is on a free,

No way would Mbappe sign for City, even for 5m a weeks wages. He's getting offer all the money in the world to sign on the dotted line at PSG and he won't. It's all about Real, he wants Real.

Seems PSG are open to it now, talking of the bid rather than saying he's not for sale. I expect the deal will be done now in next few days. It's either 0 or 180m , they're not fools.

Wouldn't be so sure its PSG any other club i think you'd be correct ,

This is a power move by Madrid to look like the mighty Madrid again ,PSG will not want to look like they are inferior ,

Liverpool would have won the league last year if we hadn't lost 6 in a row at Anfield, City had a poor points total last year... for their standards. They've already lost a game this season.

Had we won those 6 games at Anfield we'd have had 87 pts, which wins the league .

I don't see us losing 6 at home this season with a full Anfield. And we are much stronger this season, with VVD, Gomez, Matip fit, Jota settled, Mane back smiling and scoring. Thiago can play in his position , not in goal! , Fab also, no longer the Tealady, he can play where he should be. Then we had Elliott, Konate ,Tsimikas, Ox, Keita all looking super fit , at last.

So many positives from last season, how do we not win the league .

Not being able to delete a post is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

That's a pretty naive way of looking at the league last season. After City qualified for the Champions League final and were about 10 points clear in the league, they lost 2 of their last 4 games. Those matches would mostly likely have played out very differently if there was a close title fight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement