Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The govt are clearly sick of it all at this stage. It'll be interesting to see what advice NPHET provide this week, and how much of it will be ignored by govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Can anyone answer me this. Flying home from Canada in a few weeks, fully vaccinated and I have my proof of this in my medical app that BC gives us.

Will that be enough to get into restaurants and pubs? Or am I goosed?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

Imagine we could have followed Belfast concert and sporting events and had things like negative test required or proof of vaccine to be allowed enter.

Alot of mayo kids be unhappy if there parents don't take them to the game as Tony dosnt want it

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Only last week our blabbering, incoherent, mumbling buffoon of a Taoiseach said this shyt would be going on well into next year, make no mistake about it.

This weekend said eejit is pictured at an All Ireland Final surrounded by five times the capacity of the Point Depot. While he would argue all these 40,000 were outdoors and the Point is indoors, 98% of these people mingled in pubs or very tightly outdoors, a good percent of them rammed on to bollix to social distancing coaches, buses and trains to get there.

He cops serious flak for his attendance while gigs etc remain shut.

Today, his health minister pledges that all restrictions will be gone by Christmas, at the latest.

The most negative man in Ireland, a man who has refused to give even a sliver of positivity in the entire 18 months, who only knows words like cautious, and concerned, and crucial, then slides in and says it should be well before Christmas. He's saying today Electric Picnic should be allowed go ahead- WTF was he a month ago when it was being cancelled? (note- I'm not going myself)

None of these three men have even once given an indication that our lives would ever return to exactly how they were prior to March 2020- today two of them tried outdoing each other saying, from my reading, as early as October, no later than Christmas. I nearly thought one of them might use those verboten of words in Ireland, Freedom Day, such was their fervour.

What exactly is going on here? Have the government's social media monitors noticed some sort of furious uptick of comments by normal people who aren't on some lunatic register of Gemma O'Doherty types?

We have went from not an ounce of positivity given since, I'd say, August 2020, to a **** firesale of it since this morning. It reminds me of the Arab Spring, where after protestors shut these countries down the terrified government started cancelling states of emergencies and handing out freedoms like snuff at a wake (or sniff at a wedding, to give it a more modern relevant adoption).

What exactly has spooked these negative bastards in the last....7 hours.....to bring all this about?

This is what they said would happen. The relentless negativity here could not hear it for all the shrieking

• Advertisement

Can you point out where they said it wouldn’t? It’s only in this and similar echo chambers where the spectre of permanent restrictions gained any traction.

what they said was delaying at the end of June would give the vaccination programme a chance and the delta wave would peak in September by which time we would be in a far better position. If you read and listen to statements without the preconceived notion that they love restrictions and want them to remain forever, what is said is not sinister.

Explain why several European counties with more cases and or less vaccines done have far less restrictions than us

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭HerrKapitan

"...unvaccinated avoid especially if travelling by public transport or getting something to eat beforehand"

Tony is calling for public transport and restaurants to be vaccinated only?

He is going to be very jealous when the government will be following Macrons lead on Thursday. Maybe that is why he is gone twitter happy this week.

Because they made different choices.

But, point of fact, only the uk, Cyprus and Montenegro have higher cases than us currently in Europe, yet we are still signalling further relaxations.

Well, health minister Simon Harris said in April 2020 that pubs wouldn't return to full regular service until a vaccine had been distributed.

The generally accepted timeline for this in April 2020 was between three years and never. Yes, never. Many experts pointed out how there's no vaccine for ebola, HIV, Marburg et al and developing one for this was not a given.

The UK, by contrast, gave dates, in line with vaccination percentages, around February. With Freedom Day scheduled for June, then cancelled briefly.

When the UK was giving dates for Freedom Day our government refused to say when we might be able to go and buy a new pair of socks.

The difference and treatment of the public is staggering.

• Advertisement

And last week they were floating further restrictions.

Mehole gets photo'd at the All Ireland and 48 hours later they do a 360 like some terrified 3rd world despot who has just been told that the protestors have seized the airport and the army is refusing to shoot them. NPHET and the government appear to fear the public for the first time during this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

EP promoters straight out of the blocks after that CMO comment today!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's not, "sick, psychological warfare," though. I'm not a fan either but calling for mask wearing for under 70s to be barred by law is OTT IMHO.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Another Govt U Turn and now Micheall and Leo will meet the entertainment industry with Catherine Martin on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Following the science

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, the plan is due to be announced on Tuesday next and they will be in it so how is it a U-turn?

A u turn by stating they would not be attending and sending department officials 24 hours ago

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Purely going on the basis of the poster who gave the Twitter link. Good to hear he's happy to try and get there sooner. Unfortunately didn't have the time or the inclination to fact check it.

This thread:-)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Why do they keep talking about unvaccinated people being at "high risk".

Surely a healthy 20 year old is nowhere near high risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Woody I disagree with you that outdoor runs are unsafe from a C19 point of view.

But I simply have to give it up to you for running a marathon in a phenomenal time!

Well it is relaxation of restrictions thread.

Cant wait to run another marathon.

Thank you, I have a small amount of talent and is something I enjoy immensly which helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

It’s ridiculous isn’t it and never questioned

Its utter rubbish

Giving off the vibe a 65+ vaccinated person with comorbidities is protected and 20 year old healthy unvaccinated are in danger and not protected

The truth is a fully vaccinated 65+ year old has a CHR ( case hospitalisation rate ) of 10% right now and a 20 year old healthy adult a 0.10% CHR

An unvaccinated 20 year old is about 100 times less likely to end up in hospital than a 65+ year old with comorbidities and fully vaccinated

Protected my hole

Its still very dangerous for an old person to be exposed to Covid and they’d want to be made aware of it with winter coming

They’ve a 1 in 10 chance of ending up in hospital if they get infected , granted it was 1 in 20/25 without vaccines

bUt l0nG C0v1d!!!!!!!

I keep saying, the protection mandate keeps changing

March 2020- we need to shut down society to prevent hospitals collapsing. Fair enough

Summer 2020- the hospitals won't collapse but the elderly and vulnrable are still in danger. Fair enough

March 2020- the elderly are all double jabbed but the virus poses a serious risk to everyone else. Hmm. that's a bit of a departure from what we already know.

Summer 2021- the Delta variant is of severe risk to people as young as 40 who have only had one jab. Ehhhh you're pushing it now lads

July/ 2021- the Delta variant is of severe risk of causing Long Covid and even death in teenagers and children. We are putting the lives of teenage bar staff at risk by re opening pubs. No, now you can phuck right off now with this.

August 2021- nearly there, just offer your children up for vaccines despite pretty much no other country doing it and children being of little to no risk of having a serious bout of Covid. This was when we truly entered the dark side- gambling children won't get ill or die off a vaccine over a virus we categorically know will not kill them.

The world seems to have collectively forgotten that having a weeks or even months long hangover after a bout of any virus, but winter flu being the most common, is not anything unheard of or particularly rare. Also, as a condition that relies almost entirely on self reporting and often doesn't manifest itself in anything physically visible to a doctor (vomiting, bleeding, diahorrea etc) it leaves it right open to abuse for people who are after a myriad of things- sympathy, attention and, most importantly, extended leave from work on benefits.

Long Covid does exist, but it is a- nothing new to suffer a long hangover from a virus, and b- almost certainly exaggerated in terms of amount of people catching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 123Dublin456

If 50 percent of covid cases in the icu are under 50 then it means that those in 20s and 30s and 40s are basically just as likely to end up in icu as a vaccinated over 50. That in itself is very significant.

I wonder has this sudden sea change come about because they got advanced notice that the North is on the brink of a full re opening?

The gap between Northern pubs re opening and ours was bad enough, but the idea that people living in North Louth/ Donegal being able to go to nightclubs in Newry/ Derry and get a taxi home, but not be allowed to listen to live music in their local pub the following day, may have stretched the logic defying levels to a scale that even these clowns couldn't justify any longer.

Either way something bizarre is afoot- Micheal Martin effectively said last week that nightclubs, large gigs and pubs that operate as pubs were not going to be a reality until next Spring. Tony Holohan has now hinted that he believes it may be possible by October or November, Stephen Donnelly has claimed Christmas is the worst case scenario.

There has neither been a collapse in cases, a surge in vaccinations or any other shifting metric to explain why they have suddenly come out with this mere days after Micheal Martin wrote this winter off.

The only realistic reason is they have read the room regarding how the public can't fathom how this brain donor of a Taoiseach can attend a 40,000 person match while banning any other type of large gathering.

It’s only a sea change in some peoples imagination. Many have seen this coming.

Throughout they have been reluctant to give detailed paths as too often events have shifted those paths. There is no way if the delta variant had not emerged that we would still have current restrictions. Decisions have not been flagged well in advance as events overtake plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

No it doesn’t

Go through the data

5% of the daily cases are from 65+ and over 40% of the daily hospitalisations come from that group

Advertisement