Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

The demographic pushing ivermectin would not have much love for Jesse Jackson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Economics101

I really like the way seamus (above) predicted that the nutters would say that FDA approval was rushed. Tells you a lot about Fox in case you didn;t know. What these people miss is that the number of doses given (hundreds of millions) can provide more evidence about safety and efficacy much more quickly than any set of trials ever conducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Whocanibe

It's been approved to give to over 16's, why then are we pumping it into 12-15 year olds?

It also confirms that the vaccine increases risk of heart inflammation, particularly among young men in the week following their second shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Economics101

The European Medicines Agency has given approval for Pfizer for age 12 and over. They are the relevant authority for us, not the FDA. As for your point about heart inflammation I have not been able to check the details, but you might like to look at the incidence and severity of inflammation versus the reduced risks from Covid. It's all a matter or relative risk, just like life in general.

• Advertisement

I read this forum more than I post, and I have picked up a lot of useful and helpful information on here. Thank you for your polite response, I've seen many posters being dismissed as stupid and that's putting it mildly, if they show concerns about the vaccines.

My grandchildren are in that age group, so yes I'm concerned, and despite what you say, if I had children that age, unless they were vulnerable, I have too many reservations to allow for them to be vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,763 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Concerns about the vaccines are fine, but most experts think that the risk from Covid itself is greater. There are numerous stories of people who refused the vaccine, ended up in hospital or ICU and bitterly regretted their decision. It's a lot harder to find examples of people who regret ever getting the vaccine, given the number of people who became sick with the virus - currently over 10,000 people a week in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

There is an assumption that is taken to be self evident that the risk from covid is greater than from the vaccine and while this is undoubately true for older people it is less clearcut as you go down the age groups. Very few teenagers and young adults have died of covid. But there are documeted cases of children dying from the vaccine in places where it has been given to them.

<Mod Snip>

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Exactly all the things that the vaccine can do the virus can do worse.

A vaccine is teaching your body how to deal with a novel virus you probably have not been infected with before.

Parents who say they dont know whether they want their child vaccinated, but happy for them to be infected with a novel disease with they go back to school with delta around now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@robinbird if you do not have a substantiated media source please do not speculate on the cause of a recent death

And any post that contains the phrase "and the media has covered it up..." would best be directed here

https://www.boards.ie/categories/conspiracy-theories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

The dilemma is real and it's not an easy one for parents. Let's not think everyone with the dilemma is happy about infection instead of vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's always hard to balance real risk -v- potential risk. If your child gets the vaccine, then there is a real risk of myocarditis. If they don't, then there is a potential risk of myocarditis, if they contract covid.

There's a certain element of the trolley problem in this. If they get vaccine and develop a side effect, then you'll blame yourself. If they get covid instead and develop a serious complication, it's an act of God.

The reason it was approved in the light of Delta was the massively heightened risk of contracting covid. I've seen figures that myocarditis is 6 times more likely from covid than from the vaccine.

Imagine the rate of myocarditis from the vaccine is 1 in 10,000. And you have a million kids to vaccinate. Then 100 of them will develop mycardities.

This means that myocarditis from covid is 6 in 10,000. If you vaccinate nobody and 10% of kids (100,000) contract covid, then you will have 60 mycarditis cases.

So given these figures, the better solution is to not vaccine kids.

However, the reality is that with Delta it's likely that 50% or more of an unvaccinated population will eventually contract it. So if you don't vaccinate the over-12s, you now have 300 cases of mycarditis (and the rest) instead of 100 cases if you do vaccinate.

These are simplistic figures, but illustrate why the the decision was ultimately made to extend vaccination to the 12-16 age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

Great to see figures between Cohorts 1 and 7 showing only around 28,000 missing their second doses out of roughly 1,761,000 who have received a first dose.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Hopefully most of those avail of the mixed vaccines, there were a lot who didn't want a second dose of AZ that can now get Pfizer/Moderna (whether they're right in not wanting AZ is an entirely different discussion).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Totally understand the dilemma but ive the feeling many are basing it off the likelyhood of infection based whats happened in schools etc in the past 18 months and their own anedotal experiences and not based on a projection of incident levels for these age groups for the months ahead. The profile of daily case numbers currently is very heavy weighted towards younger groups and way higher than at any stage they've been in school during the beginning of this save for maybe pre xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Looks like we might fall just short of 90% uptake of over 12s, which is still incredible.

Thank you for your response, nicely laid out in simple terms. I've always found your posts very balanced, unlike some, who would frog march every man, woman and child to a vaccination centre, and completely dismiss anyone with concerns with reams of links and data!

I hear what you are saying, I really do, and I'm fully vaccinated myself. All you see being reported is the people who have died from Covid, and not being vaccinated. i don't know anyone who had Covid, but I do know personally two people (young) who had a very bad reaction to the vaccine a couple of days after taking it, and one was in fact hospitalised, coincidence ? I don't know,they very well could be, I'm sure the facts will come out in time but we are not allowed talk about these cases, and only how great the vaccine is gets reported. Are my views being coloured by my own experience......Probably, but then, it's easy to dismiss people's concerns

I no longer trust our government, CMO or our media, in fact, I no longer listen to the news at all. To me, they are pushing too hard to get the kids vaccinated, will they make it mandatory to go back to school? If not, I'm sure they will find a way to segregate the kids who are not vaccinated, just like they have with the indoor dining cert, call me a stubborn old fool, but I refuse to use the cert to go inside to sit down for a coffee, while other people are being treated like outcasts, not a society I want to be part of, and before anyone say it's a temporary measure, I won't be holding my breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Why is the 12-15s so low. Just over 50% registered. Doesn't bode well for schools

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@Whocanibe wrote:

will they make it mandatory to go back to school?

No, they can't.

If not, I'm sure they will find a way to segregate the kids who are not vaccinated,

They won't. Aside from any other arguments, there aren't the resources to do it.

Unvaccinated teenagers will only be treated differently in relation to close contacts. Vaccinated close contacts will be allowed to remain in school. Unvaccinated ones will be sent home to self-isolate.

50% is pretty good, considering they're only up a couple of weeks. If we hit 75% in that cohort I'd be impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Have you magic goggles? How do you know there won't be a spike from Croke Park, given the scenes in places of maskless fans on top of each other, roaring & shouting? Sounds like the great HSE mantra that 'schools are magically safe' for your kids but 'indoor summer camps' are hotbeds of infection and the rest of the spin & nonsense that we're supposed to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,763 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One theory I've heard is that many might be away on staycations or outside the country with their families. Such families know they can register and quickly get a vaccine as soon as they return home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

I think I saw yesterday Tony H tweeted that we were only at 53% fully vaccinated in the 16-29 age cohort - I wonder have we hit a plateau with people in their 20s or will it continue to climb much more. That, for me, is the group we really need to convince to take the vaccine.

Just flood the newspapers with people in their 20's in hospital with covid.

It could be youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

Hey everyone, I'm on day 16 since my 1st pfizer shot. Is there any way I can get the 2nd shot faster than waiting for the HSE to arrange an appointment? I really want to get this over and done with asap... (not a unique desire, I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Do they take second shots at walk-ins?

Depending where you are, but a lot of people are getting the second shot between day 17 and 21 (not always mind).

I don't know, do they? 😁 I've seen that yea, I'd love a shot on day 17 (which is tomorrow for me!) but I haven't received any word from the HSE. I called their hotline there and I was told they only send out appointments after 3 weeks... but that's not true for the 17-21 day people

Walk-in vaccination clinics open this weekend for first and second doses - Independent.ie Here they say that they do 2nd shots. Has anyone gone into one between day 17 and 21 and gotten the shot? The article says Pfizer is 21 days but if you arrive anyway will they turn you away at day 19 for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭feelings

There does indeed appear to be a lot of families on holidays (staycations etc) so it's possible you'll see a bit jump next week as realisation of school starting kicks in. My guess would be 70-75% uptake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

I have zero dilemma as to whether covid is dangerous or not. For me it is not, I'm not scared, nor anybody in my family and we will never ever take any suspicious vaccine just because main media are saying so. I read information form across Europe and I can see resistance in vaccinations. Moreover-why we have such a big number of covid cases while at the same time the nation is nearly fully vaccinated?

Advertisement