Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

^ Ace Combat 8. Pre-order to get your free Retr0gamer inspired DLC 😄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can promise that it will be to the same quality as the ace combat 7 dlc waifu skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

To be fair, Ace Combat 7 was my surprise sleeper hit of 2020 when it popped up on gamepass. I'll def get the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wow, most unnecessary sequel of all time :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep, so glad I took a chance on it after listening to Digital Foundry rave about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Which of today's announcements is more surprising?

New Call of Duty or Skyrim 10th Anniversary Edition

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's been a while since I played it last, depending on price and PS5 features (specifically DualSense implementation), I may give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Now with new hat fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement

The death of originality and innovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Holy ****, i never played the first but loved the 2nd, would definitely be interested in this.

With a bit of luck, GamesCom might even have some announcements for new IPs too!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Lego Skywalker Saga has finally reappeared.

It's been confirmed that there will be a new world premiere look at Gamescom Opening Night Live.

Hopefully gets a release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

It seems like the PS5 version is an enhanced PS4 version, much like Mass Effect LE, so I wouldn’t expect any dual sense features

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I still stand by my belief Star Citizen is vapourware

Star Citizen: A $400+ Million Gaming Project With No Release Date In Sight. (2021) – Tech In Gaming

For a little bit extra on this, and of course this is anecdotal, I previously worked for the payment processer that handled Star Citizen. Back in I think 2018 we had a period where pretty much every day for 6 months we had people contacting us for refunds for things they had purchased for the game to help development costs, some having spent more than $10,000 on ships and various other bits.

I still see some people defending it and CIG vehemently. It's almost cult-like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd say it stated earnestly enough, it certainly read that way when I first saw the proposal; but it's hard to read this as anything but a grift at this stage. An obscenely large money pit that'll always be trying to keep parity with technology at the expense of a final release; it's fans enabling the more cynical microtransaction culture. I'd speculate at best, it's Bad Management writ large, similar to Duke Nukem Forever but on a galactic (chortle) scale.

Why haven't they delivered on Squadron 42? Surely that shouldn't have been affected as much as the Persistent Universe when it comes to stretch goal bloat?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How did they plan on releasing that game along with the Series X when it clearly wasn't ready? Seems to have been a lot more wrong with than the graphics people were complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Because the persistent universe keeps making money for them, every time they add something to the persistent universe they get a boost in ship purchases etc coming off that feature. Squadron 42 is not tied to any of that, they release that and its a one time boost of people buying squadron 42 (if it's good). The persistent universe has a built in excuse of it being alpha and rakes in repeat sales everytime they add to it.

I am not as critical of Star Citizens as others, I think there is benefit to it but honestly that benefit wont be in star citizen itself but in the 10 or so other titles that will be born from the sheer amount of work they put into working out some aspects.

Someone will do the sci fi equivalent of Sea of thieves and will use all the time star citizen spent years working out how to make a complicated space sim work with players walking around inside and the ship and use it as the basis for a simpler premise. And a game that is just that and not all the crap dumped on top from the kickstarter that will make bank, it will be a streaming darling on twitch for a while and will make a fortune with dlc.

Same with their whole planetary entry mechanics and transition from space to earth mechanics, I can equally see some Battle Royale or Battlefield like title taking everything star citizen has done there and punching out a snappy fun multiplayer shooter with that.

Star citizen is a test bed for 10 or so better sci fi games, it just doesn't realize it.

Unless of course CIG become massive grade a c&nts and do a warner bros and patent all that work

then we're just left with broken vaporware

Digital foundry did a good video on it recently about how advanced it is as well. Very interesting about the true 64 bit engine and how it improves floating point accuracy making such a massive world and scale possible and it's also something I think the latest consoles would even struggle with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One of my anticipated games for the year, glad to hear it’s now very close. We’re likely getting a release date tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Nice, been waiting for cloud gaming to come to the console 😁👍

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Xbox haven't put a foot wrong in years. I think Phil Spencer is doing a great job. Super nice guy too. He is one of the good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just on the patent thing, the WB patents are unlikely to hold up if tested and unlike their vague "hey what if enemies remembered you through the use of a system or apparatus", the actual implementation would inherently be protected by copyright but it's a pretty simple concept so they'd be a number of ways to do it without copyright infringement.

Unless CIG do a deal with Amazon who's engine they're now using or license their stuff out it's not really something others can profit off of, it's not like everyone suddenly having recharging health or something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well there's a surprise; Crusader Kings III is coming to consoles (not Switch though lol). @ancapailldorcha you're the resident Paradox expert, am curious how you reckon that's going to translate.

Advertisement