Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bugs / missing functionality reports - no griping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Just got a notification for a new post in a thread I've never opened never mind posted in / followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Is linking an issue for anyone else?

Something obviously gone haywire. 84 new notifications this morning, most of which are from forums I'm not following.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

As above. Notifications for threads I haven’t even read let alone posted in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mossie

Every time I change pages on the site i get a "We Value Your Privacy" popup which I accept but it comes again on the next page. I'm not having any issue with notifications though. On Desktop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah having notification problems

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Notification seems to be linked to sibling threads - e.g. I'm 'subscribed' to a thread in the EV Vehicles forum, but seem to be getting notifications for all (new?) threads in that forum.

Still getting them even though I've turned off "notify when someone comments on a discussion I've participated in" in Notification Prefs.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I posted this on the other thread re notifications but will include it here also:

Hi guys, we were looking at the Follow Forum feature yesterday and I noticed that even when I selected to follow a forum and be notified of new discussions and posts, I was getting none. Flagged this with the team and they have fixed it so that notifications are now coming through. You can adjust your notifications per forum either in Notification Preferences here at the bottom under 'Followed Categories': https://www.boards.ie/profile/preferences/ or in the forum itself.

On desktop to unfollow from the forum page, click on the bell icon to open the follow options menu to change. Selecting 'Follow on my homepage' as in the screenshot will just add it to your followed forums without any notifications.

On mobile, go to the list of forums and click on the Cog icon to select 'Unfollow'. If you don't want to unfollow completely use the link above to disable the pop up notifications. Following a forum from mobile will enable the same settings as 'Follow on my homepage' above - follow with no notifications.

• Advertisement

Hi Niamh. I've selected no notifications but am still getting them, even from forums I'm not subscribed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

Niamh, you are wrong.

This notification problem is not fixed.

As per the picture in the above post, I have also unchecked all boxes.

So I should not be getting any notifications.

But I am getting notifications.

Very annoying.

Im getting notifications about new posts in threads im not even following. Started yesterday evening.

I've no interests in the threads, they're not quoting me and I've no input to why im getting them for these random topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

The biggest issue for me right now is "My Threads" not updating so it's very difficult to find threads I posted in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

@Boards.ie: Niamh I think the big question with regards notifications is what takes precedence. The notification setting in preference or the notification setting on the forum itself?

I'm not getting any notification from my followed forums or bookmarked discussions but I have the setting turned off in my profile.

The other question that remains is why is there 2 settings for notifications and why are the 2 not linked at all, both are Notification Preferences the other one being the Follow Settings on the forum itself. The option on the forum should be greyed out if they're linked and preferences in your profile is unchecked.

the setting is "Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions."

Which setting should be used? Both seem to contradict each other. The mix up and cause of confusion here is having 2 different ways to keep track of discussions; Followed and Bookmarked, are they or rather should they not the same thing?! Follow/Unfollow is what we are used to but when you want to follow a thread you have to bookmark the discussion 😵

Thank you, the screenshots are helpful. Is it just for Current Affairs or any other forums that you are not subscribed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Suddenly getting notifications for everything now. Over 450 when I logged in just now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭AllForIt

99+ Notifications!

Gonna take some time to get through those!

• Administrators Posts: 53,797 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The notifications issue has been reported and I'll update you here once there is a fix or if the team have more questions. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,797 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Actually, it's limited to posts in forums that I used to follow on the old boards. I don't follow them on new boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

My notifications are now restricted to threads I have bookmarked as opposed to forums I follow.

Whatever change was made over night appears to have opened the floodgates but I do hope there is a way to turn these notifications off now or in the near future.

Bookmarking threads seems to be the best (and only?) way to keep individual threads easily accessible since the relaunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Posted this elsewhere - the notifications issue is due to making a balls of migrating over the old followed forums - they don't show up in the new followed categories section, but they do have notifications switched on 🙄

Workaround for stopping the "random" notifications

(On desktop version) Go to the parent forum of any thread you're getting notifications for, and click the "Follow 🔔" button in the top right. Choose the "Follow" option from the radio button selection, then change it back to "Unfollow" (or you can leave it at Follow if you want it to show up in your followed categories, either way the notifications should stop)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I've updated them with this information guys, thanks and I'm sorry about the notifications. I am getting the same on both accounts, I can imagine if you followed the likes of Coronavirus or Current Affairs you are being inundated 😕

On Mobile, there's a feature that shows which posters are currently "In Jail" by displaying bars across their avatar. Could this be enabled on Desktop too? It's a useful feature to identify posters who have a - let's say - questionable posting style and are best not engaged with. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Ugh, another one for the list - https://www.boards.ie/categories?followed=1 maxes out at 30 🙄 I'm guessing it's calling the vanilla API on the backend? Just add a limit=500 to the call (or at least 100, 30 is ridiculously low)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Didn't work for me, getting alot of notifications from one particular thread just cant stop it, annoying. (desktop)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I've just cancelled all notifications except when I'm mentioned ot get PMs, in mobile. Notification alerts pop up on the bottom of the screen but the bell symbol on top doesn't display any new numbers.

Edit: scratch that. No difference

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is it a thread you've bookmarked as opposed to it being in a forum you follow/did follow on the old site?

Because that's the only notification issue I'm continuing to get now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

One i was following on old site, no interest in it now but unfortunately it is still very popular.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement