Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 officially saw a record number of $1 billion weather and climate disasters.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

4 extra inches on top of the previous maximum record is shattering the record in my books. And the damage is caused at the margins. If the rainfall was within the previous maximum range, those people might still be alive. Infrastructure is not designed to cope with unprecedented extremes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I haven't read the full report yet but straight away we see your bias in your sentence above. They state it was anywhere from 1.2 - 9 times more likely, not just simply 9 times. Guardian-style headline there.

Ok we’ll say this event was only 4.5 times more likely due to climate change

this is at 1.2c warming. By the time we get to 3c of warming these events will be happening in Europe on average multiple times per year.

Research Findings are not opinions

Science is not opinion.

There is a scientific consensus that we are likely to see an ice free arctic in the summer at some point in the not too distant future. There was never a consensus on the exact timing of this occurring for the first time, and there certainly was never a consensus that it would have already happened on or before 24th August 2021

The 'settled science' refers to specific unequivocal facts, it does not mean that scientists a 100% understood everything about the topic. There are many many questions surrounding Climate change that are far from settled. But then you already know this, not least because I've said this many times before whenever someone brings up the 'Settled science' trope. The reason 'the science is settled' became a phrase was to stop us from having the same stupid 'is climate change happening' argument over and over and over again. The reason that argument was repeated so often, was because the PR agencies hired by the Fossil fuel industry know that seeding doubt and uncertainty are the best ways to prevent action that might harm their economic interests.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchants_of_Doubt

I think I'm discovering why you and others on this thread give the same weight to bloggers as they do to peer reviewed scientific research. You fundamentally do not understand what science is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

N. American temp anomaly chart for around the time of the Tennessee flooding:

According to The Guardian, 'some parts of the state recorded record rainfalls'

‘It’s just unbelievable’: Tennessee surveys wreckage after floods kill 22 | Tennessee | The Guardian

Yet, it never states which stations did, which must be more than one given that they said 'some'. Climate change is mentioned though many times.

New Moon

Oh look, Tennessee is well below average and the surrounding area bang on average. All that warm air holding more moisture...

More lies from the Guardian.

Q&A: did the climate crisis fuel Henri and the Tennessee flooding?

So is there a climate change link to Henri?

In many respects Henri was a very unusual storm, with a patch of high pressure on one side and low pressure on the other causing it to funnel far farther north than such weather systems ever venture.

But climate trends are playing a role – research has shown that tropical storms are migrating polewards as the Earth heats up, making more northerly storms such as Henri more likely, while rising ocean temperatures are providing more fuel for storms to become stronger.

That research shows nothing of the sort for the North Atlantic. The Best Track data show only 7 ± 98 km northward shift per decade while the ADT-HURSAT show an equatorward shift of 12 ± 126 km. In other words, Atlantic hurricanes are showing no change in mean position whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Anyone else find it highly ironic that the guy called strong wind is a climate change denier?

A denier because I question the hyperbole? I put up a fact about hurricanes and your only contribution in this threas is to label me? Just like Thargor, Tyrone et al. No contribution at all apart from personal jabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭jackboy

Scientific consensus is of politics rather than science. Clearly they are useful for public discussion and even for setting policies. However, taking action based on scientific consensus has risks and can have unintended consequences.

An example of this is the carbon obsession which has given politicians a way of fundraising while pretending to be interested in the environment. The consequences of this is that these and other proposed policies will not have a significant impact on the carbon content of the air and industrial scale destruction of the environment will continue unimpeded.

The answer is to focus on solving the problems rather than trying to deal with the symptoms. Habitats, pollution (toxic rather than carbon)and human population are the only areas of focus that will solve the problem and actually reduce the carbon content of the air. Focusing on carbon is clearly counterproductive and cannot solve the problem in the timescales suggested from the consensus.

Recall that that these are the same posters who said only recently that George Orwell wrote about 'lizard people'. Real intellectual heavyweights these guys are...

New Moon

no in this case, the consensus is the agreement of the conclusions of the overwhelming majority of scientific peer reviewed research papers

https://www.google.com/amp/s/climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus.amp

Technically, a “consensus” is a general agreement of opinion, but the scientific method steers us away from this to an objective framework. In science, facts or observations are explained by a hypothesis (a statement of a possible explanation for some natural phenomenon), which can then be tested and retested until it is refuted (or disproved).

As scientists gather more observations, they will build off one explanation and add details to complete the picture. Eventually, a group of hypotheses might be integrated and generalized into a scientific theory, a scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena.”

In science, hypothesis become accepted when there is more than enough data and evidence and explanatory power to convince the vast majority of scientists practicing in their fields that the hypothesis is true.

Rejecting climate change by saying the scientific consensus is just opinion, is something young earth creationists do all the time. Along with all of the vacuous anomaly hunting whataboutary, shifting of goalposts and declarations like ‘there is no evidence of x y or z’ when the evidence is actually irrefutable and staring them in the face

I never said that nor would I agree with that statement in the slightest. Who said Orwell wrote about lizard people? And why are you tarring everyone who agrees with the scientific consensus on climate change with that brush?

You come across as a climate change denier because you do everything you can to downplay and undermine the need to act immediately to minimize climate change

you definitely do deny the climate emergency which calls for governments of the world to do everything they can to keep warming as far as possible below 2c

You even strongly implied that 4c of warming would be no big deal

as if we should just gamble with the consequences rather than take the necessary action.

You’ll get a BEV whenever you get around to it. But what we require is for government policy to make fossil fuel burning uneconomical as soon as possible to keep within the rapidly diminishing carbon budget

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

There is a scientific consensus that we are likely to see an ice free arctic in the summer at some point in the not too distant future. There was never a consensus on the exact timing of this occurring for the first time, and there certainly was never a consensus that it would have already happened on or before 24th August 2021...

Arctic expert predicts final collapse of sea ice within four years | Climate change | The Guardian <<< 2012.

The Guardian etc... have been rather quiet about the Arctic sea ice this year, instead harpooning every rain event and flooding event as more evidence for climate change. There have been numerous of failed predictions for an ice-free arctic that have come and passed with out coming to fruition. Thankfully.

Against a 10 year trend the Arctic is at a greater extent than any late-August and the averages of a late-August state. At the bottom of the World the Antarctic sea ice extent is well above a 10 year trend also, in fact so much above average that it is hovering into the top-10 greatest ever extents recorded since 1979.

Exclusive: Scientists warn that there may be no ice at North Pole this summer | The Independent | The Independent <<< 2011

SCIENTIST: ARCTIC OCEAN COULD BE ICE-FREE BY 2012 (tampabay.com) <<< 2007

The articles linked here are just a sample of plenty more failed to materialise predictions that the vast majority of folks have long forgotten about. Thankfully, for the moment, we have internet links to go back on.

Most people agree that the planet is warming and that humans are at least partially responsible. There is no way that attributing every weather event to climate change is scientific or that future predictions are certain. Any questioning of these is aggressively shouted down. A scientist that questions any aspect of climate change would certainly be putting their career at risk. That is a problem.

Individual scientists making ‘predictions’ (guessing in a lot of cases) is not a scientific consensus

To show a failed consensus, you need to show me the IPCC report that states Arctic will very likely be ice free by (x date in the past) or I’d even accept official reports or statements by institutions representing large numbers of scientific institutions, the WMO, the National Academies of Sciences, etc

there is a consensus on climate change because not a single respectable scientific institution shares your skepticism on climate change. But there has never been anywhere near that level of consensus on details like when we will see the first ice free summer in the Arctic.

There is no consensus around specific impacts of climate change, there is a lot of uncertainty about how they will be distributed spacially and temporally, but there is a strong consensus that the speed and scale of the changes present great risks to human and natural systems and these will almost certainly be more harmful than beneficial and pose non trivial risks of very negative consequences

The fact that there is uncertainty is not a good thing, it means we should be more careful due to the risks involved

We don’t need to attribute every extreme weather event to climate change, but it is important to point out that events like flash floods, drought, heatwaves etc are strongly predicted to become more extreme and more common as the climate warms. If we don’t want these extremes to become every day normal weather (with the new extremes being much more extreme) then we need to act yesterday to transition to carbon neutral energy as soon as possible)

seriously 3c of warming is not something we want to gamble on

Scientists are perfectly free to question any aspect of climate change. They just need to use sound methodology and present evidence to support their hypothesis

or they could just publish their ‘research on their own blog or fake journal or in someone else’s fake journal which is what almost all the contrarians end up doing

note, even the most contrarian scientists can still get their work published in good quality journals, they just have the annoying limitation of having to have their conclusions backed by the data, so those papers tend to be quite esoteric, although they usually use those papers as a launch pad to make wild claims in the non peer reviewed blogosphere way beyond what would have passed peer review

Transitioning to carbon neutral sources is a good ambition to have, no doubt. If you want this "done yesterday" the likes of the G7 and G20 summits should all agree on massively putting up incentives. How about a US$1 trillion prize pot to the company/consortiums that come up with the least invasive and most sustainable way of producing energy. Leave the ordinary Joe alone and free from tax hikes. These governments, collectively have the power to print the money required to pony the prize. There was no shortage of money found for getting Covid under control and ponying up for research and vaccine development, why the reluctance with this next impending crisis???

• Advertisement

You didn't and I didn't have you in mind. Nor did GL as far as I can tell given that your name was not even mentioned.

New Moon

I completely agree with this post. Especially that the ordinary citizen should not bear the responsibility for solving this crisis.

I think a bunch of ‘x prizes’ are definitely a good way to drive innovation and are well worth trying for some key technologies waiting to be developed

I agree that ‘printing money’ is going to be a big part of the solution.

The upfront costs of transitioning are mind blowing, but the long term benefits justify that cost. given the economic benefits of renewable infrastructure and avoiding the costs of runaway climate change

No big deal? I was commenting on your claim that it could be the end of civilisation, which is a pretty ridiculous statement to make. I actually feel sorry for you if that's the way you're living your life. Scared to death about the big bogeyman in the air. Lay off reading the Guardian, it's not good for you. It has you jumping with the sight of every weather event to the extent that you don't even think now before blaming climate change for it, regardless of the facts.

Life's too short to be worrying about this to that extent. Exactly what good are you doing by posting these hyperbolic claims? You readily admit that you've not changed your lifestyle to reduce your carbon footprint as what can one man alone do, so exactly what's all this fear for? You're holding out for someone else to come up with the laws and taxes while in the meantime you post here literally in fits of hysteria. On the other hand we have Banana Man making up lies and posting bizarre spam (which you never ever pull him up on), but at least he seems happy doing it and doesn't share the same irrational fear as you.

Anyway, neither you nor I are going to solve anything by posting back and forth here. You will post as you see fit, as will I, and around and around we go. Meanwhile the others wait in the shadows, with no actual scientific contribution to make, just the odd jab at the "denier" who happens to see through some of the shite.

The end of civilization claim is due to the uncertainty associated with how GHGs could cause cascading consequences. I consider a 5% risk of civilization ending events too high

It’s nothing personal at all. I like robust discussions and if we met in a pub I’m sure we’d have a civil but lively debate

We’re probably in agreement on 95% it’s just a difference on how we approach that last 5%

Leave it to the tech to approach it. If someone told you in 1995, Irish people would be watching RTE on their phones before another drought and heat combination like that summer would occur again, you'd be amazed.

Just out of interest, what is your definition of a civilisatiion-ending event? Give an example.

An example, there is a natural disaster and there is nobody coming to help rescue the survivors or rebuild the infrastructure.

Features of a collapsed civilization, food supplies become sporadic and unreliable, the state and banking system collapse, electricity and telecommunications systems fail, the police and military can no longer function effectively, sewage and water treatment plants stop operating reliably, nuclear waste facilities are left unattended. Schools and colleges stop providing universal access to education. Hospitals and care facilities cannot treat sick and elderly citizens

Essentially, when any combination of 3 or more of these become long term realities, civilization is collapsing in that region.

Essentially you can imagine New Orleans after Katrina or Haiti after hurricane Matthew except there is no state or international emergency aid or prospect of rebuilding in the medium term

I think what you have there is the plot of one of those low-budget disaster movies you see on those obscure high Sky Movie channel numbers just before ROK (e.g. Sony Movies Action), featuring actors that no-one's ever heard of before. The ones that have a comet closing down the Earth's magnetic field or all of the Earth's volcanoes erupting simultaneously. What you describe is completely ott. Nuclear plants being left unattended? Sporadic food supplies? Like it's all going to happen all of a sudden, just like in those movies?

We've already had our Katrinas and our Matthews and you know what, theyve survived and biunced back. The fact that they're rebuilding on geologically sinking coastal land in Hurricane Alley is another question unrelated to the concentration of CO2 in the air. Even the report on the German floods listed a whole host of non-meteorological factors that greatly exacerbated the floods, yet these go totally forgotten about. Millions of people are suffering from food shortages right now and have been for all time, unrelated to climate change, but I don't see you or the Guardian writing about them.

A bit of perspective is what's needed...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Ak and his type probably lie awake at night worrying about a "Sharkanado" wiping out their neighbourhood at any moment😅!!

• Advertisement

The chances of technology solving the problem in the timelines being talked about are slim. We know how to solve the problem now but most of the environmentalists are interested in little beyond carbon. This approach is just not going to work.

Protecting and expanding habitats will have a huge impact quickly. Cracking down on pollution and the production of disposable items will also have a big impact. The population question will have to be dealt with at some stage but this will be by far the most difficult action.

And of course, stop building on flood plains.

Advertisement