Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

IMO that can only be because they genuinely believed there was no or minimal risk of the Aghan government and army not holding out long enough to complete the withdrawl with plenty of time to spare. Even if Biden was personally callous and complacent about the risks of a chaotic withdrawal, he must surely have recognised the political damage he would sustain from a Saigon 1975-style scenario.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It’s like they are holding a President to account and aren’t ‘fake news’ after all.

Of course you has a Trump orange nose won’t see that they are doing the exact same thing to Biden that they did to Trump.

Yes, I do.

It's called holding those in power to account. They are quite consistent with it. Are you incapable of reading this or did you bother to read what I (and many, many, many others) have said at all?

You only seem to realise this because they're reporting stories you agree with, whereas when the last guy was in office it was all fake news just because he said so.

Anyone who thinks CNN are changing tack or are doing anything different to before are completely removed from reality. And quite frankly anybody who believes this is an idiot. I don't care who gets offended by that because it's a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Do you now believe what CNN were saying about Trump and the GOP for the last few years it have your ears just been unwaxed by CNN Truth Syrum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Isn't this the part where I'm supposed to dismiss cnn as lamestream media and not acknowledge that the president is making a dogs dinner out of this. Should I deflect and try to redirect to a conversation about the media? I guess not because cult-like reverence isn't my thing, although the irony of your question appears to be lost on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

what are you trying to say? "they are doing the exact same thing to Biden that they did to Trump" are you trying to say that the media hold people to account? well thats great. whats the argument that people here are trying to make.

the media is what it is. different news orgs slant things in a certain way to appeal to their audience. but the story is the story. there are only so many ways you can paint the story - people understand the core of the matter - i would hope. debating the virtues of CNN is tedious- there are so many news outlets that people can use as a resource - better yet go to the horses mouth -the people who are actually there and are experiencing things - talk to them. listen to them. seriously this forum needs to become less of a rant and rave and more of a informed discussion on things.

its debatable tbh - Biden himself has called himself centre- left and some of his policies are more left winged than expected in a political party that defines itself as left. Not sure what difference it makes at this stage as he has been elected purely due to his party affiliation. the decisions he makes effects everyone whether left or right. strangely - i define myself as left wing but after the debacle of the withdrawal from afghanistan i am identifying more with what right wing says. maybe people should identify themselves as truth seekers rather than im right or left - its all BS anyway- trying to classify ideologies. just be yourself and follow your core. its all labels and labels don't allow people to grow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

More or less a dead heat in the polls in terms of approval ratings. And with this to run on for at least another week, its not going to get better anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

When it comes to war, the major networks lean very much to the right.

Trump got glowing bipartisan news reports when he bombed a Syrian province.

MSNBC among others is loaded up with Neocon war mongers on hourly while as you see Biden has got his harshest criticism for daring to withdraw troops.

Its repugnant , but it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So you don't know that he lied then.

He probably did, but as others have pointed out, what else could he have said? He wanted to leave, it is most definitely the right thing to do and wayyyyyy overdue, but given the mess that it was, leaving it could not be done without being problematic either.

America, across the board, should pay attention to the entire experience and not just get caught up in the disaster that leaving is (and was always going to be).

America went to war in Afghanistan on the back of 3000 people having being killed by terrorists. The US nearly lost as many soliders in Afghanistan as they did in the attacks that proceeded the war. Over 100 times that number have died in Afghanistan since 2001. They spent 20 years, over 2 trillion dollars, over 300,000 lives and the loss of peace and prosperity for an entire generation. The US is losing twice the number of people that died in the 9/11 attacks every week from Covid. This whole experience should be a lesson to their public, their elected representatives and their President that they should never again allow warmongers and their lobbyists to advocate for such death and destruction for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Bizarre speech by Biden earlier, the man is completely out of touch with what is going on in Afghanistan, its almost at Comical Ali levels of incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Turning out to be a very successful operation despite what the scaremongering media have been saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Well White House Communications Director Kate Bedingfield claims that President Joe Biden "never shies away from taking questions" from reporters.😁

I love the way the only stick Trump orange noses have to beat Biden is that he doesn't take questions from the media.

Like, so what? Trump doing as many press conferences as he did was completely out of the ordinary and were just clearly the mark of a man who loved the sound of his own voice.

Biden, Obama, Bush etc never did anywhere near as many press conferences as Trump did.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I agree that it was always going to be a disaster if by that you mean there was going to have to be some chaos as they left and the Taliban would inevitably take over. But to be in a situation were so many people are yet to be evacuated was avoidable (at least it seems that way).

Agree. The last President should never have reduce the body processing visa for Afghanis who had helped America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Yep. Should have started the evacuation process during his time as well, and probably should have waited to reduce military presence until that was well underway.

Lol. Posting about common sense with a tweet from a Governor who currently test positive for Covid last week and how brought in a law preventing covid mandates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Biden was seen by many as positive and the anti-Trump but the policies in respect to the rest of the world are not dissimilar. They are both far more interested in the home vote and will engage in multilateralism as it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Trump didnt like taking questions from actual reporters either, only from his pre approved OAN and Newsmax groupies.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I thought nobody watches his press conferences? I thought the ratings were awful? How could "the whole country" be left waiting?

Will you be approving the Supreme Court’s multiple rejections of Trump’s efforts to steal the 2020 election?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Except that's not what happened - Yet.

All that the Supreme court have done is refuse to extend the stay on the judgement from the Texas Judge while the appeal is ongoing.

The Texas ruling is bizarre though - Basically that judge said that the "remain in Mexico" legislation was an obligation under the 1996 Immigration Act , despite the fact that it didn't come in to force until 2020 and was suspended due to Covid.

So according to this Trump appointed Judge , the US has been breaking the law from 1996 until 2020 and have only been compliant for the ~1 year or so that the law was in place under Trump.

So Clinton, Bush, Obama and even Trump for most of his tenure were all breaking the law , but it's only NOW that they've discovered this rule that was being broken that is being used to justify the re-instatement of the Trump law??

Also - What the Supreme court said was that the Biden justification for rescinding the law (actually for not re-instating it after the Covid pause) wasn't detailed enough - Not wrong , just not enough detail provided.

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Problem with that is, are you not cutting the ground from beneath Ghani's government by tacitly accepting they are doomed to collapse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

It would be interesting challenge to see if the rabidly pro-biden posters could go a day or two without mentioning Trump?

Unless trump manages to make a resurgence it's a bad sign for those mid-term elections

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It goes to show the hypocrisy in the claims from Trump supporters that Biden has done this wrong. It is only wrong in that Trump didn't do it. They claim to be aghast at the situation, but offer nothing as to what should be done differently.

And it mirrors Trump. He is simply railing against Biden doing it, not it actually being done.

Many have claimed that this is a massive loss for Biden. I, and others, argue that actually the typical American doesn't much care, and certainly won't in a few months when it is all done and dusted. This is exactly what they wanted.

It is hard to square the treatment of Muslims, disdain for BLM, almost manic hatred of southern border refugees, with an apparent new found compassion for the people of Afghanistan.

That why it is relevant to the Biden thread. Because of the clear double standards.

Advertisement