Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 2021 Assistant Principal in the Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

To be honest, I found the numerical for AP alot easier than the HEO interdepartmental numerical tests I did earlier this year 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Did the 3 tests this evening - Verbal was grand I thought. Got it finished with about 4 minutes to spare. Got 2 wrong for definite but they were down to misreads for me which I'm disappointed about. Maths was okay - A couple of the graphs were hard work I just skipped those questions and jogged along. SJT, I thought I was in the practice test for the first couple of pages but I was actually in the main event rofl

Fingers crossed and good luck all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Curranjo

Was that option in the verbal test. I can’t recall seeing that on my test

Post edited by Curranjo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Language structure similar to "don't not do it"...but not as cumbersome as that(!)

The double neg is "don't" & "not", which cancels out, giving the meaning "do it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭granturismo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭2021_AP

Hard to know how that went, the STJ is always my biggest stumbling block so I'm hoping that the extra time I took on that one helps

So unfortunate that numerical won't be counted as its far and away my best one of the three

Now to put it out of my mind until probably October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

"Canel the install?"

[Ok] [Cancel]

Microsoft were notorious for double negatives at one stage; thankfully they got better!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Did the verbal and STJ yesterday - I was so tired after a poor nights sleep - not the greatest way to tackle! The verbal is always my strongest but my brain was tired, so I don't think I did as well as I have in practice rounds. STJ is just so hard to know - although I thought it was harder than many of the practice ones I did. Did the numerical today and found it v hard - I have done loads of practice over the past couple of weeks with a focus on the numerical as its my weakest area, and had really improved my scores on practice rounds - but I definitely did not do well on that one and even ones where I knew what I should do my brain froze. So if I don't get through the numerical the rest is all moot anyway!

it wasnt. I was just using it as an example of what could come up. But there was plenty of similar types of statements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭floorpie

The numerical was far harder for me this time than any previous comp. I didn't complete it when I'd usually have time to spare.

Some of the questions had bizarre double negatives, sort of like:

Text: Experts sometimes think computers are good

Question: Experts fail to think that computers are sometimes always not bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 AuroraP

I found the numerical very hard, so although I haven't failed numerical in the past and practiced for this round, I would be shocked if I passed it this time. I think I guessed the answers to about 5, was confident in my answers to 5 and the remainder could have gone either way.

Very disappointed, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

SJT could go either way.

Best of luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

Did the tests there now, got 17 of the numerical completed, got the verbal done with 8 minutes to spare but having read some of the comments here I'm a bit concerned as I don't recall many double negatives being used. Maybe I should have slowed down and read more carefully but it's always so hard to pace yourself. The situational is the one I usually struggle with the most, I've seen those questions so many times at this stage but can never remember what I previously answered!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 marley83

Just finished the tests too, and not confident either. Definitely recognised some questions from previous competitions - not that it helped as I probably didn't get them right in previous tests and couldn't recall the answers anyway!

Out of sheer curiosity, does anyone know roughly the numbers of applicants to these competitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭floorpie

Pretty sure they randomly draw questions from a large pool. Don't sweat the double negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

finished it myself. Feel it's very 50/50. Wouldn't be overly confident with it all

Best of luck to everyone, hopefully PAS don't keep us waiting an eternity for the results

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Marydollcass

Hi all, I did this today, Numerical was very difficult. I found I answered "cannot say" to about 5 questions..anyone else used this option? I cannot see myself passing this area at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kenrach

I used that option on a few on the exam whether I was entirely convinced that this was the only option remains to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KR65

I’m in the same boat as all those with time/ calculation comments on the numerical. It’s my weakest area but I’d imagine it’s a tough time constraint even if you’re good with numbers.

I might get lucky & pass it and I might not …. Very much 50/50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Bambaata

First time doing these type of tests, I got over 80% in all the numerical practice tests i completed but the actual test i fear didnt go nearly as well! Ran out of time and had to do a pot luck guess for the last 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Avenger2020

Do we get a confirmation email when we complete all the tests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

That’s an excellent result. Congrats!

I didn’t get half that.

Hopefully you do as well in the tests that count!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The test screen tells you there’s nothing left to do. No email.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AP2021

Also found the numerical a lot more difficult this time out than previous competitions, and it'd usually be my strong suit.

Ah well, it only requires a pass in any case (doesn't contribute to your ranking beyond that) and hopefully I did enough for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KR65

Is the numerical graded straight out of 100% or does how well everyone else did determine what the pass grade will be ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

The latter. If PAS want x number for the next stage, then the pass mark is set to give them the closest to the magic number X. Because APs spend all their time totting up data with calculators, or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kenrach

Last year the qualifying pass mark was 39 however as Tauerndruid advised that can change depending on their requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭FenFlynn

So we still have hope yet. Fingers crossed it's the case that everyone found it hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭2021_AP

I agree, I'm pretty certain it was the exact same tests for all 3. Maybe one scenario on sjt was different but I possibly just don't remember it from before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭RWC15champions

I always ace the numerical for different PAS competitions, scored full marks on plenty of occasions in the past but I found the numerical very tough this time around.

This is the first time I'm delighted numerical doesn't count towards OOM.

Verbal was surprisingly easy I thought!

• Advertisement

Advertisement