Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Not sure you are making much of a point there?

1 in 10 now but 1 in 20 before vaccines? Surely it's the other way round?

Do you get a choice of where to go on this vacation? No tyrannical government will force me to go to Santa Ponza

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Sorry your right, meant 1 in 5 eg 20% CHR

Its 10% CHR now eg 1 in 10

Point is if for your old with health issues Covid is still very dangerous even if fully vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cpxxc

I generally agree with all you say but as someone quite comfortable with having my children vaccinated not least because my wife is an actual expert on the subject. I disagree with the supposed risks.

But otherwise you have a point.

The problem is that our generally second rate politicians particularly FF are fundamentally incapable of making sensible decisions. Particularly when it comes to the GAA. Martin is useless and a symbol of everything that's wrong with FF.

The problem with relying on Doctors for is their constant pessimism. My Doctor keeps sending me for pointless tests to try and find something wrong with me. It pretty much the same with NPHET. They can't bring themselves to see it's basically over.

So we have a combination of politicans relying on Doctors and Doctors catastrophising.

But the truth is that on the street most of us know it's all but over. The so called 'concerning' breaches of covid guidelines near Croke Park is evidence of that. But if you've been anywhere lately. The 2 metre rule is dead mask or no mask.

• Advertisement

I am sorry, but that is just absolute nuts stuff right there

“the last few weeks was like a effort to wring a few more suicides out of the population”

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ashdublinc13

That's a really scary thought. I was wondering why Macron is visiting. Pity it isn't the Danish prime minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

Great to see. I hope this includes everything LOI and all other sports, all arts and culture events

I do find it strange they never discussed this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If those things are only for the vaccinated like music festivals etc then the vaccine pass is here to stay. So much for it not being used for any other purpose.

Also again shows whatever Tony Holohan says, the government implements.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

All I see is more of the same weak governance. Tony calls the shots. It's pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

There was another remark that Tony made before the Electric Picnic one that was just waiting to be picked up.

NPHET never issued advice on live events. They only did so on outdoor gatherings. The government were the ones who were making that distinction between outdoor sports and outdoor live events and Holohan was very clear to highlight that.

Once he said large outdoor gatherings for vaccinated people would cause no major public health concerns, the government had to react to it because there was going to be massive backlash when it became clear that bringing sport back before events was purely political.

I see FF are already trying to throw Catherine Martin under the bus because she said there was a roadmap brought to cabinet 3 weeks ago and was completely ignored. It was suggested that she should have published (aka leaked) it instead of giving out about it to the live events sector.

They're a right shower, FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

When the vaccine pass first came in under severe scrutiny government were all about PCR and antigen being introduced later. Over a month later and not a word or even a question from a journalist about it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great to see

Attention will need to turn to indoor events as the we don't have the weather for outdoor concerts come Oct-March

you have to feel some of these events should of been at full capacity earlier in the summer and not taking place in the Autumn

It's perfectly simple. Tony and the rest of the Oprichnina have realised they've gone too far. They'd rather ban what they can and retreat from banning what they can't, than fight a rearguard action.

They will regroup, and try to ban as much as they can in autumn and winter.

I don't blame the man. If I had disgraced myself during my career, and suddenly found an opening by which people worshipped me for saving them from bees, I would absolutely be selling as many beekeeper outfits as possible to keep myself in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

At some stage we have to get back to pre covid living

We can't be going round with masks and events and discos cancelled forever

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Well it finally looks like this charade of a Safety Dance - in which a unvaccinated 20 year old cant go to a restaurant but can work in same restaurant while vaccine checks at out borders are all but non existent.

Our incontinent leadership and their masters in nphet have been dragged to the realisation of what "living with covid" actually means - a realisation our neighbours reached months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Massive headache and cost for government too managing covid

Getting rid.of.all restrictions allows them to focus on other things

I would like to know why there is seemingly so much resistance to running T-SPOT and antibody testing for immunity, now that we have them.

First we heard about SARS-CoV-2 was in Wuhan, China, at the beginning of 2020. Videos out of China of people dropping dead in the street (a phenomenon which has yet to be repeated anywhere outside of China) and people being welded into their apartment blocks surely scared the bejesus out of people. As did the video out of Lombardy And yet we know that:

The fact that 11.6% of participants in European cancer trial in September 2019 had antibodies (confirmed by blind retesting of pre-pandemic blood samples, facilitated by the WHO and undertaken by international laboratories) is an extraordinary thing in and of itself. All of them asymptomatic.

Given what is on the line and the extraordinary and unprecedented authoritarian measures that have been imposed on the people of the world, I think we need to know the true picture of how much immunity exists in the population as a matter of urgency.

We also need an independent and open review of exactly how many people died of Covid-19, as opposed to "with" SARS-CoV-2 present.

We need to know exactly how likely a false positive PCR test result was, with every brand used and at every cycle threshold. When did cycle threshold change, and why?

Current advice is not to PCR test people who are known to have recovered from Covid within the last 6 months, or people who have been fully vaccinated, because residual nucleic acid from either could turn up a false positive (purely a coincidence that these are also the people currently able to avail of a "vaccine dividend, I'm sure). It's believed that a quarter of infections (but anything from 1.4% up to 78.3%) have been asymptomatic. How can we know that a PCR-positive "case" is not just residual nucleic acid from a previous asymptomatic infection?

Additionally, we need randomised testing of any historical organic samples still in storage to see what the immunity picture was last year, before and during the time that most of the world locked down and exerted evolutionary pressure on SARS-CoV-2 to become more transmissible.

The human and economic fallout from lockdowns is huge. We deserve to have the whole puzzle pieced together, methodically, independently, and with all possible data, and to understand the exact impact that these measures had, the logic that was used in the decision-making, how the affected the evolution of the virus, how much they were driven or exacerbated by media, how behavioural sciences were brought to bear, how much unnecessary fear was stoked in citizens to beget compliance, and how to avoid such a gigantic **** show happening ever, ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Hollow news in my mind, pushing vaccine certs further into other sectors of life and still no mention of embracing antigen testing which will actually stop the virus rather than allowing it to spread albeit at lower viral loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@[Deleted User] wrote

Current advice is not to PCR test people who are known to have recovered from Covid within the last 6 months, or people who have been fully vaccinated, because residual nucleic acid from either could turn up a false positive

Please cite a source for your claim that vaccination can produce a positive PCR test.

I'm reasonably sure it's nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

@[Deleted User] . "We deserve to have the whole puzzle pieced together, methodically, independently, and with all possible data, and to understand the exact impact that these measures had, the logic that was used in the decision-making, how the affected the evolution of the virus, how much they were driven or exacerbated by media, how behavioural sciences were brought to bear, how much unnecessary fear was stoked in citizens to beget compliance, and how to avoid such a gigantic **** show happening ever, ever again."

What you have requested would take years and an inordinate amount of money to achieve.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I mis-typed. It's people who have recovered in the last 9 months, and fully vaccinated.

"In general, someone who has vaccine protection or a person who has had a positive test for SARS-CoV-2 in the previous nine months should not be tested for SARS-CoV-2 unless they develop symptoms suggestive of COVID-19. This statement encompasses people who are identified as close contacts of COVID-19 cases but who are noted to have tested positive in the previous nine months. Exceptions may apply based on risk assessment (for example if there is a specific concern about exposure to a particular variant that is expected to evade the immune response to previously circulating variants, if a person is immunocompromised or in certain high risk settings). The application of this guidance should take account of the epidemiological situation (time and place) in which the sample is taken. In general terms, a high Ct value/low viral load result in an asymptomatic person is more likely to represent residual RNA detection of no public health or infection prevention and control (IPC) significance in a situation in which the incidence of infection in the population is low and falling."

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/outbreakmanagementguidance/PCR%20weak%20results%20guidance.pdf

Yes, it would. And given what's on the line, it's absolutely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

+1

Such a monumentous event as covid and the response to it needs to be learned from. We need to know why the plans we had to deal with pandemics were thrown out the window immediately in favour of the tactics of the CCP. We need to look at the role of the media and it's relentless campaign of fear against the population. We need to do a cost benefit analysis of all this.

The Barcelona study found one sample in March 2019 and then disappeared for 9 months, the Italian study, when you look at the data, found pretty much the same proportion in every individual population assessed, be it month, area etc. Entirely consistent with the error rate of the assay used.

UK publish ongoing serology data based on blood donations. These have been consistent with the observed pattern of the pandemic reaching 10% about December 2020. The Roche assays used having a far higher sensitivity than those used in the Italian study. Somehow Italy was 11% in September 19, yet the uk was not at 10% for a further 15 months.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1012420/Vaccine_surveillance_report_-_week_33.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@[Deleted User] you have misinterpreted the guidance you have quoted.

No. I said that the guidance said that those groups should not be tested because residual RNA from either cohort can show a false positive. You made the leap to vaccines causing false positive.

On the job early this morning, raind.

You: "the Italian study, when you look at the data, found pretty much the same proportion in every individual population assessed, be it month, area etc."

The study: "SARS-CoV-2 RBD-specific antibodies were detected in 111 of 959 (11.6%) individuals, starting from September 2019 (14%), with a cluster of positive cases (>30%) in the second week of February 2020 and the highest number (53.2%) in Lombardy. This study shows an unexpected very early circulation of SARS-CoV-2 among asymptomatic individuals in Italy several months before the first patient was identified, and clarifies the onset and spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic."

• Advertisement

Quoting the abstract here certainly means that I have only read the abstract and could not possibly mean anything else. Well done, you.

Quite frankly, raind, I'm angry and not in the mood for you today. Muting you until it amuses me not to again. Good luck with all the deboonking and cheering on any and all new/increased restrictions and surveillance. Must be a trip.

BTW - people can click through and read the study for themselves, and the truth will eventually out. Your misinformation here is for nought.

Advertisement