Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If there's someone you'd want to have coaching him to get that end product it's Nuno though.

I think he can have end product, but he can't do it 'on the fly'. His best seasons have come when micromanaged - in 17/18 at Boro, Pulis would practically shout simple instructions at him game by game for what to do. He got 10 league assists. Went to Wolves and over time Nuno built the relationship between him and Jiminez, and you'd see every time Traore got to a crossing position he'd barely even look up, he'd just put it into the same place every time where Jiminez would be waiting, and got 9 assists as a result. Instantly dried up when Jiminez was out.

I think he just needs to know exactly what he's doing beforehand as he's not really able to figure out where his teammates are when he's running in full flight. For most players that's way more trouble than it's worth, and they'd be stuck in the lower leagues as a result - but he's such an exceptional physical specimen that it's worth practically designing simple 'plays' for him, NFL style, for him to execute on the pitch. With a presence in the box like Kane, it would be great, if Kane knows to time a run to the back post (like Raul did) whenever Adama sprints into the corner it almost doesn't matter if opposition players know its coming because it's so hard to stop.

(I know most good teams do already develop patterns of play, but they're usually more dynamic with players thinking on their feet - I'm talking more "run to x position, cross to y spot".)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Gonna play some mental-gymnastics Football Manager type game here but I wonder if there is a possibility of a three way transfer happening.

Traore to Spurs

Origi to Wolves

Neto to Liverpool

3 clubs get a player in they they need, selling players they want to sell or being rewarded handsomely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Neto is injured and expected to be out till well into the New Year so don't see that one happening.

That would the the guts of a year out for him so I wouldn't touch him till he is back playing for at least half a season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Wolves lose two wide players and get Origi. Poor Wolves if anything like that happened.

Yeah, Wolves are getting the raw deal from the 3 clubs, but they are going to still be bringing in around £80m for the 2 wingers. They let Jota go last summer too, so it's not like they are against selling players.

That ~£80m would help them a lot now that their Chinese owners have removed the direct funding influence. Rumours the club is up for sale too, so the club will need to generate it's own source of income. Trincao & Cutrone are still at the club too in terms of wingers and Wolves have had a long standing interest in Origi too. They had an offer accepted a few years ago, but the player didn't want to go.

It would also help a lot with rebuilding their squad and image since Nuno left. They do need another player with some of Jimenez's qualities too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Could be a very interesting last few days of the transfer window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Where did Madrid magic up €160m when they're meant to be broke?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

They are not Barca broke and they reported a very small profit last season.

Their debt is mostly for stadium redevelopment over a 30 year loan. The biggest chunk of what is left of their debt was owed transfer fees which is likely something they would manage from income which will go up this season.

If that's the case why is Perez still pushing the Super League?

• Advertisement

Really getting a head of myself but could PSG go in for Ronaldo if they sell Mbappe? A football fans wet dream seeing Messi and Ronaldo on the same team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If Mbappe goes, I'd like to see Paris get Ronaldo as replacement. He seems to be unhappy at Juve. Read a rumour that they would go for Richarlison which seems pretty underwhelming to me, although he's a good player.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They've also just sold Varane and Odegaard for near €80m with more departures mooted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Why would Real pay 160m for Mbappe now when they can get him for free next summer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Makes no real sense tbh. They pay that plus a boat load of wages. Contact him now, tell him they'll pay him a million a week if he joins them next summer, still infinitely cheaper than buying him now plus paying his wages. Most likely that they want to avoid missing out on him on a free as he will have multiple suitors.

• Advertisement

Some talk of Cristiano Ronaldo wanting to go to Man City.

He might finally go home to Manchester after 10 years of talk of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

.... and give is it 35 million to Monaco into the bargain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

You'd wonder if it's a bit of fan appeasement with the Mbappe move from Madrid. Doesn't come off in my opinion and signed for nothing next year on a whopper contract. No idea why he'd want to even go now unless his ego is damaged a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, they have been having a fire sale all in the hope of raising funds to be able to buy mbappe.

And they haven't finished yet. They could let some more leave before the end of the month, to save on wages.

They are putting all their eggs in the mbappe basket. It's mbappe or bust for them.

And he isnt the answer to their problems. They need about another 4 or 5 players as well as mbappe.

He probably wants to be the main man which isn't going to happen playing alongside Messi and Neymar

• Advertisement

Lewandowski's agent was apparently in Paris last night. He's now being linked with a move. This is going to be the most bonkers transfer window we've seen in years.

He surely has more sense than to go to City, it would seriously tarnish his Utd legacy.

This transfer window could end up going full fifa career mode

If Mbappe goes for over £130m with one year left on his contract there is no way Levy is letting Kane go for less than his asking price with three years on his contract.

Also crazy money to spend on a player with one year on his contract especially when the club is debt to nearly a billion euros.

They're nowhere near Barca levels of debt. €500m of their debt is for the stadium redevelopment which is financed over 30 years. And over those 30 years the redevelopment is expected to more than pay for itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Madness to decline 160 mil when he will go for free in a year although they don't have money problems. Do they need to sell to appease the Ffp rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,827 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iv a couple of views on this ,

PSG will reject and let him go for free for one reason EGO , They won;t want to be seeing as selling one of there star men when Real come calling, They want to be Real as in the pinnacle for footballers

I also think Madrid knew it would be rejected but can now say to Mbappe look we really wanted you and tried to go the extra mile by paying that fee when you only had a year left, So come join us when our a free

A PR exercise for both clubs ,

Kane has announced he is staying at Spurs, thats City goosed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

January transfer window move so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'd say that's Kane at Spurs for good - why would Levy be any easier to deal with in January. Next summer he'll be a year older, and still with 2 years on his contract.

Ronaldo to City looks depressingly likely, though how well he'd fit in with Pep's style of play is questionable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Who knows what next summer will look like? Maybe City have a below par season, and maybe United decide they are a Harry Kane away from being a real force and a bidding war breaks out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Poor old pep will be whining about how they can’t afford anybody now. How is he to be meeting bare minimum requirements under such penal restrictions…… Worst still, he may end up with a 100 mil pound alternative, honestly don’t know how he sticks it at city.

Pep should move to United where they always get the manager what they want, discard mediocre players efficiently, don’t extend contracts of players nobody wants and have the entire squad/club primed to help every manager thrive at the top levels of football.

If City really wanted Kane they would have dropped £150m on him months ago before dropping a £100m on Grealish.

Kane and his advisers must have told City don't worry I will kick up enough of a storm and go on strike to get the price dropped.

When every fan in world knows Levy will set a price and will not be bullied off that price how did Kane & City really think this would end.

In fairness since Pep took over they've only spent £29.5m per season more than United so it's not like United haven't spent money.

£954m v £776m according to Transfermarket.

Pep inherited a squad that had gotten to CL semi finals and won the league a season the year before so they didnt have nearly as much work to do as United after losing their golden goose Ferguson. Lots made of Uniteds spending between 2014 and 2021 (which was needed badly after years of under investment), but look at it between 2006 and 2012. Not just that, its easier for successful clubs to attain players cheaper. Also, my sarcasm was because United is run like a steaming pile of Sh*t. As horrible an abomination City are, they are really well run.

But the point stands, Pep has only ever gotten the best and has access to the major resources over all rivals at all his clubs. He inherited a golden generation at Barca. He managed Bayern in a closed league in Germany where they hoover up the best players from their nearest rivals. And he joined an already strong City, thats well run and will invest whatever he wants to attain their white washing goals , like PSG... Hes a world class coach and he deserves to manage the best, but its a fair question to ask, could he do it at a club without relatively unlimited resources comparable to their rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,827 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Strange statement released by PSG,

Basically implying they will let Mbappe leave on there terms which is fair enough but they seem to be hinting at he must sign a new deal to have there backing to go, As they have said they won't be responding to Madrid again & that Mbappe promised them he would not leave for free

I fear something big in football could be about to happen if they some how try to block him leaving when he is on a free,

Got to love it all being played out so publicly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Why does MBappe want to go to Madrid? PSG have a far better team than them...and probably will be the next 5 years.

Might be bored playing canon fodder for most the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He's 22 and already has 4 Ligue 1 titles, could totally understand wanting to move to a league that might be a bit more challenging (and also more watched globally). Real themselves might well lose their lustre for him if things go badly this year, but wherever he goes I can see the appeal in the change regardless of how stacked that PSG team is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Aaron Lennon playing for Burnley tonight. I dont remember him leaving them and thought he was just bench-warming last year but he was actually in Turkey. Just rejoined today.

I just can't see City paying 30 million for Ronaldo and then paying him 30 million a year on top of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

City desperately need a CF so I don't think it's beyond the realms of possiblity that CR7 goes to the Etihad.

It s**ts all over his Utd legacy but CR7 is a PR merchant and Mendes is an absolute bottom feeder so I don't think either of them mind.

They've been trying to engineer a move all summer but with no takers on board it's getting a bit desperate for CR7.

There's probably only half a dozen clubs who could afford him.

City, Utd, Chelsea, PSG, Real, Bayern.

I can't see 4 of those clubs going after him, City and PSG are the most probable IMO given their needs and potential needs in PSG's case if they lose Mbappe, that 180m would be a great outlay for CR7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone else not able to see Messi, Ronnie and Neymar fitting into the one team?

I honestly don't think It would work, despite it looking like football harlem globetrotters. Too many egos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I domt really see Ronaldo moving this summer. Its looking like next summer will be the big summer for strikers.

Mbappe, Lewandowski and Ronaldo becoming free agents, and an all out bidding war for Haaland. I cant see any of the big wealthy clubs offering a big commitment to a veteran this summer that will then eliminate them from the Haaland race next summer.

Lewandowski has two more years left on his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Few transfers from last couple of days that could be interesting

Thomas Delaney gone to Sevilla, Bellingham seems to have taken over his place.

Sorloth gone on loan to Sociedad after a poor season at RBL. That fee Palace got last season look better and better all the time.

Soton signed Lyanco from Torino, seems a replacement for Vestegaard but dont know much about him.

Cunha gone from Hertha to A.Madrid for 30million, played well at the Olympics for Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Is he at his very best as an out-and-out centre-forward though? If you just wanted a goalscoring no. 9, had no interest in the player in any other position, would you go for him or Lewandowski?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement