Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MCU is now a free repair even if you are out of warranty. If yours was unusable, it probably meant you needed the fix. And not so much the upgrade. My MCU1 works perfectly fine (I did have it fixed for free under warranty about a year ago because I had a few reboots)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yeah but I had the issues before they acknowledged the fix and to be honest I was getting fooked off creating service appointments and keeping fault times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

MCU is now a free repair even if you are out of warranty.

Would they ever have acknowledged their liability though, were it not for the forced recall by the US regulator?

They didn't for years.

I see they're under the same spotlight again now by the US road safety people, regarding autopilot/FSD. It's possible early Model S owners will get "free" AP hardware upgrades in the future (not!).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I don't want "free" AP hardware thanks very much, having experienced 2.0 and 2.5 I'm very happy with my rock solid 1.0 and prefer it over the other two...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

You don't know what you're missing........... I find the sudden, violent jarring from phantom braking invigorating 😛

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭carloscorreia

Rimac Nevera vs Plaid

Good stuff. So the fastest production cars in the world:

1. Rimac Nevera (€2,000,000)
    2. Tesla Model S Plaid (€100,000)
    3. Porsche 918 Spyder (€2,000,000)
    4. Ferrari SF90 Stradale Assetto Fiorano (€800,000)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

As much as i share your love for tesla :)

The Plaid is €156,000 here.

I spec'd mine up last night just in case my numbers appeared :)

End of 2022 delivery!

2022? She'll be speed limited so.......

ISA, also known as Intelligent Speed Assistance.....

0-100km/h in 2 secs & that's your lot 🤔.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭russelldlee

You should consider the Multimac for your kids. We have one for our 4 kids and it's amazing. You'll get a few more years out of the Outlander if you want, or you can buy any Model S with it. You should be able to pick one up on Adverts for 1k EUR and you need to get it fitted.

• Advertisement

Anyone know why so few used Tesla's come up for sale?

A matte black wrap 75D just came up on Donedeal. First one in a few weeks.

Probably because those wanting a S brought in from UK last year and they're keeping them for another while.

Historically it's rare to get a good value used S here, was virtually always better to UK/NI import

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Safety wise the multimac is not the best option. Just wanted to point that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

There aren't that many Model S and X cars in Ireland to begin with and you can't upgrade to the new models at the moment, so I guess people who bought new cars are holding on to them for longer.

Safety wise and insurance wise. It's a modification and also you're carrying more passengers than allowed on the vlc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

its about the same price as the new M4 competition (one on carzone for €143k), which just shows how expensive cars are getting!

Most people bought in the UK last year.

I posted mine for sale recently, but the problem is that I had a Performance Model so fewer people are interested because of the unknown, insurance and they don't realise the Performance models are worth more, for example, I advertised my 2014 Model S P85+ at 36k. Within a week I had it sold/traded at 35,500 to a dealer to buy my next car.

If one pops up that you fancy, you just have to act quick!

Didn't impact our insurance and I wasn't aware they were unsafe.

You still had to declare it to your insurance.

It's unsafe (and illegal without changing the VLC) to carry more than the permitted number of passengers. A Tesla model S for instance is permitted to carry the driver and 4 passengers. If you put 4 kids in the back and have a front seat passenger then you are not legal to drive. Same as being over 3.5t on a car licence

I can't seem to selectively quote you Gumbo but there is now essentially no physical difference between early Model S and P versions.

Most Model S rear drive motors were replaced with the large motor (mine included) so end up being software restricted P models (apart from the red calipers).

Folks in the US have hacked and updated an ordinary Model S to P firmware and boom, like that the car performs acceleration, power etc in line with P model.

Stagger the wheels and you are away with it.....

• Advertisement

I haven’t heard that before.

any links to read up on it?

as it may be an “uncorking” option for those owners.

it’s also worth noting the “red” callipers are brembo brakes. Not sure if the standard cars get brembo too?

I read it on Tesla Motors Club a while back so don't have specific link to hand, there's also the crowd that have hacked the M3 and offer the performance boost cheaper than Tesla but Tesla then did something OTA to sort those cars out (not sure what exactly).

For older S models out of warranty its a case of just taking out the SIM so Tesla can't interfere, for us it's under the MCU, behind the little shelf, right next to the CANBUS (OBD2)

No, suspension and brakes are uprated on the P models. The performance / traction of the older RWD only Performance cars is mad enough as it is, I don't think it would be a good idea to let that sort of torque loose on a standard car 😜

We'll go tell those mad US lads so, from memory the battery pack connectors are different to in order to handle larger inverter on P models

That would make sense. The current is far higher and the standard cables, if not up to the amperage, would be a fire hazard. Don't try this stuff at home, boys and girls!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Hello guys, am seriously considering to purchase a 2014 or 2015 Tesla model S performance from mainland UK. I ve seen few for sale with the free supercharging for life. Prices are ranging from 33k- 35500k gbp.

Is it right in saying I have to pay 10% custom duty of the total price + shipping upon reaching Ireland. I checked on the vrt calculator and it says 0 vrt since it's a 2014 model s & price falling below the threshold.

Btw does 2014 gen 1 model S cars have ccs enabled?

Also I believe I won't have to pay vat 23% since, the car is not new? Your valuable corrections and tips please. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

No RHD versions of Model S or X have CCS enabled (they are Type 2) but you can buy an adapter. The latest versions of Model S and X come with CCS as standard, but the RHD versions wonæt come to Ireland or the UK until next year (at best).

You will have to pay VAT as this is an import into the EU at standard rate....23%

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

So, 34k gbp + 10% customs duty + 23% vat.

That's coming around 56k eur total for 2014 Model S p85

🤔😯

• Advertisement

Yep, last year that was customs/VRT/VAT free....

Advertisement