Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to move... WTF is going on with prices?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭section4

I am glad you said that because what I say is true, I know I was thinking of buying and went into estate agents. Not only that it my friend bought one for 27k around 1994.

If you don't know that then you are not aware of what prices were like them.

This was a 2 up and 2 down.

The reason I checked them out was because a girl.i knew in London had a brother who bought a house in a little street called I think 4th avenue around the sherrif st area.for 6k in 1989.

You dont have to believe me, I don't care, but give me a few days and I will try to dig up the details.

I bought a flat in London in 88 for 67k so was aware if house prices especially when the market crashed shortly afterwards.

The poster never got it wrong atall.

I know exactly the time very very well.

I used to go out with a girl from dublin in 88, she wanted to move back to Dublin, there was houses going for around 10k near inchicire, houses not apartments, I had paid 67k for a 2 bed at the height of the boom in 88 so I was well aware if house prices and she was making the point about the price difference.

I was in negative equity for a few years and was checking out house prices in dublin.

When I came to Dublin in 94 I checked out those houses on north strand , so I am not even a year out never mind a decade.

I was working on a development in rathfarnham in 2001, 3 phases , first phase sold out quickly, developer put next phase up by 30% got them sold no problem. He put them up because there was demand, not because he wasn't making money. That's what happens when a market gets frothy like now, prices keep going up because people become irrational and pay more thry should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭FrankN1

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

I'd agree with this poster based on my own experience recently. Market is busy, loads of people at viewings and houses getting snapped up within weeks of going on the market, at higher prices than this time last year. But there's less madness with the bidding, at least on the houses I'm looking at.

There's no data that will show it yet I wouldn't think as PPR is months behind and estate agents generally never whacked up asking prices to the prices houses were actually going for through aggressive bidding wars so it probably wouldn't show in asking prices either.

Totally anecdotal here, but for what it's worth that's been my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

the biggest problem by far are funds buying up everything , i know one who have over 2 thousand properties in and around dublin alone .

how that is allowed to happen is down to the government

they should be taxed to the hilt and increasingly so with every new property until it is no ;onger viable for them to do it

crazy situation when our own citizens cant afford a house

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Looking at the prices houses are going for is simply depressing! I was batting around the idea of buying a house soon. That was until I read a few threads in this forum! Holy smokes!! I am very sad to say that at 28 there isn't even hope in hell of me affording a house!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I've been having a dig on property price register for houses near me in Malahide. Large estates in 450-600k range, eg Gainsborough, Seabury. The prices seem to have stayed fairly steady since 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You are glad I said that and you changed your figures to make a different amount nearly double what was said. Then bring up a house off Sheriff Street which is not the same area and one of the most dangerous streets to live on in the country. Just very confusing to say you are glad I brought up that you were wrong and you then changed what was said. The condition of these house was terrible and required extensive rework. My family have been involved in North Strand since the 80s so we always paid attention to house sales in the area. In fact we tried to buy one side of Xavier Avenue which was derelict and the houses were more expensive than was said and that was 1990 if I recall correctly. Went to buy a property on Spencer Street in 1999 and that was £150k and it need to have the roof replaced. So yeah I don't believe you

Doesn't really matter as it is a totally different neighbourhood now and people see value in them now

• Advertisement

the post I replied to said £14k for 1995 and you said £27k you may notice these are different figures one being nearly double the original and a year earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

These rises remind me of the celtic tiger days.

All it takes is some change in the world that affects the economies and Ireland could be affected badly.

Afghan war, brexit, corporation tax for example

• Registered Users Posts: 34,897 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Afghan war, Brexit and corporation tax won't magically make houses appear overnight though - we've a supply problem at the moment, not easily obtainable credit driving prices up like in the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Had been bidding on a house in the Midlands..... Currently 87k over asking. Fahuckin insane stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

Wow! Insane carry on indeed. Is the asking price too low? Are there other houses for sale on the same area that are commanding the same price level?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Here's a gem. Some lad selling his back garden: https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/site-site-at-8-kilmorna-mallow-co-cork/3521768

A 0.1 acre site up for 40k in Mallow of all places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Future demand is largely based on projections for population growth (i.e. immigration) over the coming decade. It is undoubtable to me that the significant increase in immigration in recent years caused the rental market to explode and the rental market bubble is what has spilled into the purchase market. For example, a lot of people are buying in Ireland because the mortgage is often significantly cheaper than the rent they were paying so that is largely why they justified the house price they paid.

However, immigration to Ireland is of course not a guarantee and until it happens it is like predicting where house prices will be in a year, two, five etc. years. If immigration does not materialise as intended (ironically, it could be due to the housing affordability issue which is sometimes conflated with a picture of strong economic prosperity in Ireland), rents will drop though to what extent it is impossible to say. Another issue that should be taken seriously with projected demand from immigrants, is interest rate rises on mortgages. If rates even went up 2%, this could be hundreds of extra euro per month on a mortgage repayment, which would make rents look less eye-watering. Combining it with a drop in rents for other reasons like supply picking up or demand stalling and we might see mortgage repayments racing past rents, which of course will affect house prices.

The short story I have made long with this post is that two things like immigration and interest rates are assumed to remain high and low respectively in order to justify sustained house prices/rents, but they are assumptions and not without risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭PropBuyer101

house prices are really only now catching up to the levels they were in 2008 - for example a house bought in 2008 at peak prices being sold for similar price in 2021 at peak prices. 2008 was much crazier!!! but yeah as things open up things will calm down a bit meanwhile someone a few months ago has paid double what they should have paid for a house!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭FrankN1

• Advertisement

What people often forget about the peak prices in 2008 is the sales where very small at that point. The often quoted high prices effect so few people yet it is easy to use the peak to say how crazy things got. The reality is you aren't even talking about 1000 sales in the entire property market. The fact demand is still so high now and prices still a fair distance from the peak history but it isn't a target. Inflation is also an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

2007 ( first quarter) was the peak ,prices were down at least 10% by 2008 and much more by the fourth quarter of that year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Standard 3 bed terrace in Wexford town up for 190k sold two weeks later for 240k. It was a nice house you could just walk into but 50k over asking..

I think more posters want prices to drop to a level where they can afford to buy something half decent, relative to their income, than want a total crash. Most people are aware there probably won't be a large reduction in property prices without a corresponding reduction in employment/income. If there's a large crash in prices, most people will be affected by whatever event causes it.

But prices do need to drop because at the moment we've a huge amount of people in jobs and on wages that for most of the last 70/80 years would have allowed them to buy a house, who are now not able to do so.

Similarly, we've got people in very good jobs and on very good wages competing for houses in historically below average/undesirable areas, throwing mad money about and locking themselves into 30 year mortgages in the process.

A crash would be good for very few people. A gradual price reduction over the course of a few years would suit significantly more people than it wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Snorlaxx

Somewhat related to this thread, can someone tell me when buying a house turned into a bidding war????

Four times now, I've told the agent I'll buy the house at the price advertised but the "seller" wants to wait to see if there's more offers. I'm giving you what you advertised so whats the problem here???????????

Remember that thought when you are selling. Will you accept a guide price put on it by an EA, or will you want whatever the highest bidder is willing to pay you?

To answer your question, bids have been used to sell land for centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

That's a dreamer's mindset to have. As Dave010 said, remember that when you sell your house/apartment. Who wouldn't want to maximize the amount of money when selling a property? When supply is low and demand is high for commodities, prices will increase to whatever the next person is willing to pay.

On the subject of bidding wars Vs advertised price, I recently got a leaflet in the letterbox from a local estate agent trying to encourage people to sell. They acknowledged that some potential sellers may be reluctant to sell as there's no certainty around what they'll get Vs what they're looking to buy will cost. The leaflet mentions the potential for buying and selling off market, presumably the idea being creating chains of people who want to sell for a certain price and buy for a certain price.

Presumably this is on the back of feedback from people who get a valuation and then decide not to sell. I thought it was interesting and yet another example of how the current market is bad for basically everyone, not just FTBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Buying and selling in Ireland can be like the wild west. Gives you the jitters

• Advertisement

At its core, it’s pretty simple, highest bid usually gets the property, cash sometimes trumped higher financed bid.

Buyers usually complain about the bidding process, but funnily enough, it’s not too much of an issue when they are selling.

Advertisement