Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Iecrawfc

seriously doubted we'd win an all ireland again back in the dark days of 2009-2010 but to witness 3 in 4 is unbelievable. Things change fast in hurling so rack em up when you can, I thought in 2018 if we got to 10 all irelands by the end of Lynch, Hayes etc. careers we would be delighted but they have exceeded that already.

being greedy but hoping we have a few good u20 teams in the next few years to get some new talent into the squad and push it on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭lukin

I must say I thought when ye won in 2018 that ye would just win the one and return to the doldrums. When KK beat ye in 2019 I was even more convinced this would happen. I don't mean any of this in an insulting manner btw. But full credit to ye, ye have improved massively since 2018. As a Corkman for a long time we took beating Limerick for granted but ye have the upper hand on us now and ye are enjoying it and why wouldn't ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Watched the 2018 semi final between Limerick and Cork yesterday waiting for the final to show up on YouTube. The difference between that Limerick team and the one nowadays is massive. Mainly the same personal and playing a similar brand of hurling but they are far more polished this year than they were then. They're a joy to watch nowadays.

The second half yesterday won't go down as anywhere near a classic but with the damage done in the first halt it was hard to see either team having the motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's a great period to be a Limerick fan. We suffered touch heartbreak over the years. We threw away 2 AI in the 90s. Enjoy it while but lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Congrats to Limerick, ye have a great team there who are likely to win a few more. Just as a matter of interest how many more do ye think this Limerick team will win (either in a row or with an interruption in between) or how long will they be the dominant team, also who do you see as your closest rivals, the most likely team to close the gap over next few years.

• Advertisement

I'm the worst person to answer this because years of beatings have left me unable to be objective about Limerick hurling but for me, I think Galway have the skill and physique to beat Limerick. I have no idea what's happened to Galway's minors over the last few years though, or what happened their senior team this year either, but they are best placed with players.

Presuming Cahill goes to Tipp I think he'll be pretty ruthless with them too.

Cork, despite Sunday, are a coming team too and you never know how a team will gel in any given season, imo.

No idea how many titles this side could win either tbh, like someone said, getting to 10 titles in my lifetime struck me as virtually impossible, (hell, even adding 1 seemed improbable a few years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The bulk of the team are in 2 blocks, the 28 year old and the 24 year olds so I don't see anything changing until the 28 year olds start to retire but who knows what the landscape will look like by then. Also you never know when the backroom team will decide to call it a day which would potentially be a big problem.

Galway and Cork look to be doing well underage, Cork in particular are putting a lot of work in and Galway will surely get their act together soon and challenge again.

Limerick are obviously favourites for next year but I still think Galway or any of the Munster teams could win it if they can catch Limerick on a bad day

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

Perhaps I'm the only one, but I think the format in 2019 counted against us. The long lay-off after the Munster final until we played KK really didn't suit us at the time

It was a long year too as they really hit the league hard from the start. Can't blame them really if the wanted to go for the full sweep of medals. Also if we had been poor in that league all the pundits were ready and waiting with the narrative that we got lucky against a tired Galway

I'm from Galway and tbh I'm sick and tired of people saying Galway are the biggest threat to Limerick, ( we also heard this when Kilkenny dominated), we are currently in a mess, our performances this year were nothing short of disgraceful, I'd say John Kiely would be gobsmacked if he knew the carry on in the Galway camp, county board is a disaster zone, also we've only won 5 All Ireland's, people assume we have more due to all the underage success but we really are massive under achievers, our record in finals is something like won 5 lost 20. Limerick are safe enough if you think Galway are a threat (although might catch ye in a semi final and then lose the final!)

Personally think Tipp are the biggest threat if Cahill takes them over, a mix of the experienced lads and their U20 All Ireland teams could well emerge as your biggest threat, but, probably take at least 2 years to close the gap, Cork and Kilkenny still a good bit behind and don't see Waterford improving much as probably close to full potential already and could lose Cahill to Tipp.

• Advertisement

The reason I would have Galway up there is that ye have the players if ye could only sort out the mess behind the scenes. I think from the outside everyone is really shocked that the 2017 team only managed 1 All Ireland.

In reality if Limerick did happen to get knocked out early the championship would be there for any of 4 or 5 teams to take

If you saw Limerick in 2017 did you see this run coming? Hell, we had a player's strike even a few years prior to that. Teams can be turned around quickly if you get the right people in. Galway are already halfway there since ye have the players.

That 2017 team should have won more, from 2012 to 2018 we should have picked up at least another All Ireland (2012, 2015 & 2018 were left behind us), one was the bare minimum that team deserved and were lucky it was Waterford we faced in the 2017 final or we probably wouldn't have won it. We have a history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, even in 2018 when teams feared us after 2017 we let standards slip, allowed teams come back at us (Kilkenny & Clare) when we had them more or less dead and buried and by time of final we were out on our feet. Limerick deserved the win on the day, but, our performance in the final was poor, yet we only lost by a point and everyone patted them on the back for coming back in the last few minutes, yet forgot how poorly they performed in the preceding 70 mins. That team is more or less gone now.

We haven't even been able to turn the recent minor success into even 1 U20 All Ireland, Cork bet us out the gate in last week's final ( and at minor too) yet at minor level that Galway team hammered everyone. Nothing in our history suggests we'll sort things out. It's true we had plenty of talent to be winning All Irelands in the past decade or so, but, not so sure now, it'll be a few years before we're serious contenders again. Very frustrating being a Galway supporter, we always find a way to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Barring a run of injuries or loss of form I would think they'll be well placed next year to add another. After that it is hard to say, one or 2 lads step away and we suddenly become vulnerable. how long will the management team stay in situ too, there will come a time when other challenges present themselves, i think tipp under cahill and waterford will be the biggest challengers, Clare/Cork/Galway and Kk need to find a few bolters to strenghten but could become challengers.

One thing is things dont stay the same for long, as Limerick fans we'll celebrate while we are up and hope this outstanding grouo continue the great run for another few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

There will be lots of close games next year again. Would be surprised if Limerick actually do the 3 in a row. Its just so difficult when everyone is gunning for you.

Kilkenny, Galway, Tipp (with Cahill), Waterford are all well capable of sorting themselves out quickly. Cork might need one more year as a beating like yesterday can leave scars and they will likely go into a form of rebuild based on the U20s. Clare are always dangerous too and Lohan retained is very good news for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

We brought through Cathal O'Neill and Colin Coughlan this year, hopefully they kick on and 2 or 3 new lads come through again to keep that competitive nature for each spot which helps guard against complacency

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Well done Limerick - a fantastic performance, especially in the first half.

Total hurling in fairness. Everyone of the lads can hurl but are all team players.

No weak links as far as I can see.

Well done.

From a northern gael!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Any update on the Peter Casey injury it looked bad hoping he did not do a Cruciate?

You would be surprised if Limerick win it next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

Anyone who thinks Limerick are anything other than red-hot favourites next year is deluding themselves. They are the new benchmark and the rest of us are a good bit behind. The thing about hurling though is small skill differences lead to large score differences. Even though Limerick are winning by 10+ points each game the gulf isn't enormous, but it's also something you're not going to bridge by throwing a few hard shoulders in during a training match. I'd say Cork, Galway, Tipp, Waterford, Clare, Wexford etc. all have ideas about what they need to do to sustain 70+ minutes of pressure from Limerick while returning it with interest. It's a tall order, but not an impossible one. Would like to see Waterford have a crack at Limerick without injuries and without playing 4 games in 21 days, but being honest I think we would still have come up well short this year if we had a rest and TdB back.

• Advertisement

Just think it’s going to be hard to do 3 in a row. They look unbeatable right now but everyone will regroup and we have to hit the same heights again. Think we will win a couple more from this team before it runs it’s course but I do think it will be very difficult next year

Tbf, it's hard to win it in any year and our history tells us it's extremely hard for Limerick to win it in any given year.

At least they'll get a proper break between the seasons this time. I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose tbh because it's been a long 18 months for them, at some point something has to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Amazing win

These fellas are a savage team, everyone in the stadium knew the game was over on 25 mins, I don't expect them to go unbeaten next year but being greedy a hat trick would be amazing

Delighted for the nash family, Declan was one of my favourite corner backs of all time and to have barry win an all Ireland in the same position is amazing

94 left a scar but thanks to this team its barely visible anymore

Love watching Quaid and hannon, composure from these guys is top level

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Are there any retirements in the offing from either players or management. I don't see any obvious ones myself. However, it is a huge commitment.

Maybe Graeme Mulcahy as he is unlikely to be a starter again but outside that I doubt it. Nicky could play for 5-7 more years

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭raindodger

Afraid i might wake up and find out it was all a dream

was there in 73 as a kid thought it was a simple task to win how wrong can you be,all the hardluck stories and maybe deluding ourselves that we were better.

ALLS CHANGED we are top of the pile and it leaves a lovely glow of satisfaction hope we can make more hay for the next winter

I can't see the standards and drive drop next year anyway. Not when you have Caroline Curid as part of the coaching staff.

These lads don't look like the kind of "now we have won let's milk every free pint out of every bar in town for the next year" type either.

Not that I would begrudge them if that's what they want to do

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I think both Waterford and cork will be our most serious challengers next yr it can flick around very quickly but dont see either beating us next yr, for cork they might need 2 or 3 yrs but as already said it can change quickly plus you'd never know god forbid who might get injured we need mike casey back and coughlan, o Neill and adam English maybe to start pushing for a place.

No disrespect intended to the galway posters but I can't see them challenging( they should) but can't see it. Tipp? Can't rule them out but wouldn't think so but maybe if Cahill was manager. Waterford for me could be our biggest challengers with de burca and others back I think they're the closest to us, can they bridge the gap? Next year? I'd be surprised.

• Advertisement

Hopefully Paddy O'loughlin is back next year, i'd see him as an important contributer in the half back line, has the size and power to fit in seamlessly. As you say hopefully the young lads will push on and start to claim places in the 26. Heard Barry Murphy was in great form before the AI, he could be one that plays an important role next year.

on another note looking forward to the club championship this year, should be fairly open with about 4-5 clubs with realistic ambitions

Advertisement