Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DPD doesn't deliver to/from all of EU after Brexit ?

Options
  • 25-08-2021 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Am wanting to order wine online from another EU country, and was told DPD doesn't work on this route from July, and this is one of the Brexit effects.

• Now this is a small online retailer, and not sure how easy is to switch provider formally for them; but spoke on the phone earlier, DPD staff was recommending me to use DHL for this route.

Extremely disappointing, DPD Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can't order wine online from another EU country anyway. The retailer needs to be set up with Revenue in advance to pay duty and absolutely none of them are.

The wine would probably have been seized and either destroyed or you'd have been asked to pay duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

on this one, my only comment is that I have received wine from the same country before (different seller, via dhl). this "being set with revenue" doesn't make sense to me either: we're EU, I should be able to receive on occasion same amount I am bringing over when travelling.

or why wouldn't I be able to pay that tax before receiving it here, same as I do with stuff ordered from the US ...

Post edited by mvl on

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You got away with it rather than it being legal. You need a licence to import alcohol, except on your person. Being in the EU does not affect duty.

Right, good pointing this out. reading here about it https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/alcohol-products-tax/alcohol-products-tax/when-do-you-pay-alcohol-products-tax.aspx (probably I should have contacted revenue then)

Should have contacted revenue it sounds - tax for wine seems to be "Still, exceeding 5.5% volume but not exceeding 15% volume: €424.84 per hectolitre" - imagine the grief to get a 50 eur wine taken away for not even a fiver on tax ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

What country is it?

DPD is a giant operation. It's not DPD Ireland that make these decisions.

I am know they don't have a service from Greece or Malta.

• Advertisement

none of above (RO); actually there used to be an air route till July; hearing this excuse with Brexit is what touches my nerves, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Romania - I think it was always an air route. I know it isn't on their list for exporting to.

Possibly DPD used to route it via the UK and did EU declaration there and can't anymore.?

Advertisement